Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Extreme) Cruijff-transfer policy at Ajax: own youth players ONLY! (so NO signing allowed...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Who said morale doesn't matter ? It most certainly does.

Unhappiness is only there for aesthetics, but a player with morale 20 will out perform an equal player with morale 1.
    Ah, my bad... Thanks for clearing this up! And do you happen to know what influences morale? I mean, I can guess (wins, good performances etc.) but do you know?

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash
    What's the squad average age now?

Still doing real well IMO given the restrictions

PSV though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    What's the squad average age now?

Still doing real well IMO given the restrictions

PSV though
    Thanks! Squad average is now 22.88 (first team average is 24.00).

And indeed: PSV... :/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the Devil's Advocate View Post
    Ah, my bad... Thanks for clearing this up! And do you happen to know what influences morale? I mean, I can guess (wins, good performances etc.) but do you know?
    I wish I did. I have offered new contracts and it can go up or down. Winning teams can go down and losing teams can go up. Discipline a player and it can go up or down. I am coming to the conclusion that morale is random.

I should have added that unhappiness won’t impact on performance, but you won’t get an unhappy player to sign a new contract

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Season #4 - 2004/2005

Richard Witschge wasn't willing to extend his expired contract and thus left the club. At almost 35 years of age this wasn't too big of a problem with Cedric van der Gun taking his place after an OK season on loan at Willem II. In goal I decided to replace Lobont with young Belgium U21-international Bram Verbist who had developed quite nicely.

My academy produced no less than four players, with two of them (Verbeek and Bouwmeester) being regarded as potentially good players by my assistent:

*for the sake of accuracy: I forgot to take a screenshot of Bouwmeester right away, so this screenshot is from december 2004

The future was still looking bleak however, with all of my backup midfielders (Cruz, Knopper and Van der Gun) running out their contract at the end of the season and none of them willing to sign a new deal... Not even when offering maximum wages (which they didn't deserve) and maximum signing on fees in excess of 7 million euros!!?

I started the season great by winning the Dutch Super Cup against PSV (after penalties). Ruud Peters was brought in the Holland U21-squad (and would eventually play some U21-games as well!) after having started the season brightly with a flurry of goals as a substitute (earning a place in the Team of the Week on two occasions as well). I rejected loan offers for Schilder from First Division clubs since I felt he had nothing more to learn there, but was happy to loan him out to fellow Premier Division side Groningen halfway the season. Not all my youth players developed so smoothly however. Robin Jansen seemed to stand still and had disciplinary problems as well. He got banned for 10 games after punching an opponent in the face in a reserve game...

PSV started the season horribly. Possibly as a result of selling Mark van Bommel to Real Madrid? I didn't mind that one bit. I had started the season well (with one or two stange results like the 4-0 away loss against minnows RKC...) and was on top of the league going into the winter break with PSV trailing by 3 points and Feyenoord already out of sight (trailing by 10 points). My European campaign was carefully wrecked by myself… Having beaten Grasshopper and Real Sociedad in the first and second round of the UEFA Cup, I won the first leg of the third round against Boavista with 3-0. So that pretty much guaranteed my progession to the next round, right? Wrong! After being overconfident and playing my entire B-team (including some youth players), I lost the return 3-0 and went out on penalties… After my escape against Celtic last season I had failed to learn my lesson and now had to pay the price. What a waste.

However, my focus was solely on the league, since I knew it would be almost impossible to compete next season withouth a decent backup midfield… The 'almost impossible' soon turned to 'definitely impossible' when the contract of both my preferred strikers (Machlas and Mido) became unprotected and were picked up by Valencia and Deportivo (for little money as well to make things worse). My only luck was that they would only leave in the summer. Knowing full well that the exodus in front of me would make it a challenge to stay in the job (let alone winning something) meant I HAD to win the league now to earn some credit. Besides, it would be my last chance to win the league for a while…

Things were looking good though. With 10 games to go, I was leading the table by 6 points and was on a 10-game winning streak. So I had both the good form and the decent lead to bring the league home.

In the mean time I was very surprised to learn that Landsbergen had magically gotten a second nationality (English). In all of my years playing CM, I had never seen that…

Anyway, fast forward four league games and my lead was gone… Fast forward a few games more and with three games to go, PSV and Ajax were still tied with the last three games of the season were… PSV (away), Feyenoord (home) and Den Bosch (away). The game against PSV would therefore probably decide the title. And you guessed it... a 85th minute goal for PSV dented all my hopes of finally winning the league. With belief gone, we only managed a single point from the next two games and the season ended in tears:

To make things worse, I also lost the Cup final against PSV with 2-4 the week after, but I couldn't care less to be honest. I was devestated.

I guess the only positive thing was that I did manage to extend the contracts of both Hersi and Yakubu by paying them obscene signing on fees. They were still unhappy though, but at least they were mine for a few years more. I knew it would be impossible to replace the outgoing players, but hey, it would at least keep things interesting! Nobody like a story without drama and there was plenty around in Amsterdam...

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the Devil's Advocate For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    I wish I did. I have offered new contracts and it can go up or down. Winning teams can go down and losing teams can go up. Discipline a player and it can go up or down. I am coming to the conclusion that morale is random.

I should have added that unhappiness won’t impact on performance, but you won’t get an unhappy player to sign a new contract
    Thanks! And as you can read: it IS possible to get unhappy players to sign new deals, but you have to offer some pretty insane signing on fees… but even that doesn't work every time.

vCash
    Maybe that’s my problem. I never ever offer sign on fees.

Unlucky in the league. I thought you had it, but ran out of steam at the end. Hope some of those kids come good quickly

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    Surprised you came in second with so many mediocre players!!!
    Well, my first team wasn't that mediocre. Verbist is naturally no championship winning goalie. And if I could have signed player I would have replaced the ageing Bergdolmo at left back and someone instead of Kujala in midfield, but the rest is not too bad. Mido, Machlas, Van der Vaart, Hersi, Yakubu, Chivu...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the Devil's Advocate For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Wow - Jager looks beastly!

Why didn't you protect machlas and Mido contracts? Not willing to sign or your choice not to offer any "older" first XI guys contracts?

Jesus - a bit of an implosion in the league and that "6 pointer" v PSV killed it

Then to lose the cup

But hey - you won some silverware!

vCash
    Well, my first team wasn't that mediocre. Verbist is naturally no championship winning goalie. And if I could have signed player I would have replaced the ageing Bergdolmo at left back and someone instead of Kujala in midfield, but the rest is not too bad. Mido, Machlas, Van der Vaart, Hersi, Yakubu, Chivu...
    True. But next season, without M & M, will indeed be a bigger challenge. How many goals did they score between them?

vCash
    @Redknapp69: naturally I tried very hard to renew their deals but they rejected every offer I made...

@Samsami: Mido got 18 goals (12 assists) and Machlas got 14 goals (6 assists) in all competitions. If I only look at the league, they scored 23 goals between them which was 26% of all my league goals... I guess it could be worse. 26% seems not too much for your preferred strike force.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to the Devil's Advocate For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Season #4 - 2004/2005

My European campaign was carefully wrecked by myself… Having beaten Grasshopper and Real Sociedad in the first and second round of the UEFA Cup, I won the first leg of the third round against Boavista with 3-0. So that pretty much guaranteed my progession to the next round, right? Wrong! After being overconfident and playing my entire B-team (including some youth players), I lost the return 3-0 and went out on penalties… After my escape against Celtic last season I had failed to learn my lesson and now had to pay the price.
    Yeah, my experience is that home advantage is much bigger in European matches compared to domestic matches. So you shouldn't field a weakened side in a 2nd leg away match unless you have at least a six goal lead. The other way around is fine (winning 3-0 away = fine to field a weak side in the return leg since it is at home).

Hilarious that you did this twice in a row Thanks for entertaining us readers, stuff like that is much more fun to read about than just playing it safe and doing the sensible thing all the time.

vCash
    @Redknapp69: naturally I tried very hard to renew their deals but they rejected every offer I made...

@Samsami: Mido got 18 goals (12 assists) and Machlas got 14 goals (6 assists) in all competitions. If I only look at the league, they scored 23 goals between them which was 26% of all my league goals... I guess it could be worse. 26% seems not too much for your preferred strike force.
    I generally feel that playing with one striker works better than playing with two. Perhaps you should switch to a one striker system since now that your best strikers left anyway. Adding an MC or AMC or something instead. That would be a more realistic Ajax-/Dutch tactics as well, like the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation that the Dutch national side uses in CM 01/02 as well, at least at the start of a save.

vCash
    Is this save dead? If so, what a shame. It was really interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dane View Post
    Is this save dead? If so, what a shame. It was really interesting.
    I'm afraid it has died yes. My last season went very well. I actually won the league AND managed to reach the final of the Champions League. However, I then learned there was a way to speed up cm 200 times and learned about patches and data updates and destroyed my original cm (including) save in the process... Bummer. Nice to read you enjoyed it!!

vCash
    Sad to hear - was good while it lasted mate

vCash
    Thanx. Problem with it though was that it became more of an experiment and less of a story. Having to pay massive signing on fees just to keep an average and unhappy DMC on board simply because he is the only DMC left for example takes away from the experience...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12