Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Computers/Laptops

magpi Unattached

Computers/Laptops

Hi,

You may see that this is my first post, i have been around the forums a long time with an old account.

Anywayz i am trying to buy a new computer to play games at relatively good settings, but honestly i have no idea, i was wondering if you guys could help me out.

I am looking at:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-FX-417...ht_2642wt_1189

Or
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIBOX-NUKE...ht_2664wt_1141

The problem is i have no way of telling how well these computers will perform but i appreciate any help that is offered

If these are not suitable suggestions are welcome

If this is in the wrong place or not valid at all i apologise, please move it

Thank You

vCash
    Don't buy branded computers is what I would recommend.

Better buy parts yourself and build it (if you have basic knowledge of tech stuff, if you don't the store you buy parts in can build it for you, I guess ).

I will give you decent configuration tomorrow though, listing parts .

I believe I did it on previous forum too (however, I must get out of notebook thinking box, so like I said, PC config tomorrow or I will screw up xD).

vCash
    The only difference between the two you listed is that the top one has a smaller harddrive. Otherwise, same CPU, graphics card and ram.

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

vCash
    What were you called on your old account?
    Or did you not post much on that one either?

vCash
    Cyberpower is a company that "builds" computers - especially those if you are a "gamer"

I have had my last couple iwth them and very happy - just tell them what you want (i.e - fast processor, top graphics card, large memory etc) and they will send yoiu differnt options

Cheers

vCash
    Both of those computers wud easily be able to Run CM to its maximum potential...

I have no idea on building your own etc.

I dont really know about prices these days either, but the two u linked are both very powerful machines..

Ah - i remember my 1st computer in 1995.

It had about 5mb of hard drive...
    crazy times..

vCash
    I will start off with heavy duty PC which will last for 2-4 years (I build mine 4-5 years ago and it copes pretty darn well till now).

Of course it will be able to run every game you throw at it @1920x1200 resolution without sweat. Why bother playing CM on such beast is another question though .

So let's get this on a roll: HIGH END.

Starting off with a mainboard: Asus CROSSHAIR V FORMULA. Based on 990FX AMD chipset. The mobo made for gaming and heavy overclocking ready...

Processor aka the heart of your new PC: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BOX Black Edition, 6 true cores with unlocked multiplier. 0.45nm core technology. 3.2GHz on each core with 6MB L3 cache . Should be able to run any game released now and in the future. That's something you should not bother to change for quite some time. Plus if you do video editing and other stuff, the more cores the better.

Next: GPU aka Graphic card. Now we get to the point of chosing between Nvidia or AMD. I would say that AMD, with their new 7xxx series has an edge over Nvidia atm, so we will go with that. Radeon 7970 MSI 3GB DDR5 HDMI&DVI&2xminiDP (PCI-E). Smokes pretty much anything in 2560x1600 resolution, has full Eyefinity support (playing on 6 monitors anyone? xD).

Next is cheaper stuff: You want to get as much RAM as possible so let's go with full select 16GB DDR III. Corsair DDR3 4x 4GB 1600MHz CL9 Vengeance.

Sound card: ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT + Battlefield 3 (hey, you get a game to test your new rig )

And last: WD Caviar Green 2TB WD20EARX 64MB cache SATA-III to store your files on and OCZ Agility 3 SSD 2,5" 120GB 525 MB/s 500 MB/s 85k IOPs to store your Operating System on.

Next comes the packaging: SilentiumPC Regnum RG-L50 Pure Black + Antec High Current Gamer HCP 850W (you will need power, believe me).

So that's it. For High End you won't get anything better atm and it's still reasonably priced. If you wanted to build such stuff on Intel/Nvidia you would have to pay roughly 50% more (Intel Extreme Series processors with unlocked multiplier cost that much more alone!)

I will be making lower end PCs tomorrow (Middle Class and Lower Gaming Class [still able to run most games on Full HD]).

Get ready for it. I'm in a groove to do this .

tongo1 Unattached
    When looking at the spec of a PC you have to look at what's not mentioned because that's why it's cheap.

No monitor, no keyboard, no mouse, no Windows operating system, no mention of power supply (probably cheap and unreliable), no mention of memory brand (probably cheap and slow), no mention of hard disk brand (probably cheap and slow), no mention of motherboard brand (probably cheap with minimal features).

No monitor, no keyboard, no mouse, no Windows operating system, no mention of power supply brand (probably cheap and unreliable, 450W is low for a gaming PC), no mention of memory brand (probably cheap and slow), no mention of hard disk brand (probably cheap and slow), no mention of motherboard brand (probably cheap with minimal features).

In both these cases you'd have to spend more money on it and a cheap power supply will always let you down.

vCash
    This one is the one I would and actually am building at the moment to replace my old rig.

Midrange-Class-Gaming-PC

CPU: AMD X4 FX-4100 3.6GHz BOX

MB: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3

RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 3X 4GB 1333MHz CL9 Blue

GPU: GeForce with CUDA GTX 560 MSI 1024MB (PCI-E)

Audio: On board or Asus Xonar D2

HDD: 2TB WD/Seagate Sata III

Tower + PSU: SilentiumPC Brutus BT-410 Pure Black + be quiet! Pure Power L7-530W

Additional stuff is keyboard/LCD monitor/mouse and ODD (Optical Disk Drive), but those you can buy fairly cheap yourself, so the choice is up to you . I would go for Plextor DVD+/-RW PX-L890SA black (SATA) BOX. I know BDs are getting more and more popular these days, but first of all, games are still released on DVDs and backing up on DVDs/Pendrives is much cheaper than doing it on BDs. As for watching movies... I don't watch any, so that's why such choice.

If all goes well, you should get it for less than 600 quid, but it would smoke ANY of the above configurations. Had a play with those new AMD processors and they not only are highly clocked on default settings, they overclock like little bitches to 4.4-4.6GHz on BOX cooling... On Air... .

The choice is up to you though...

PS. If people do wonder why not something based on Intel platform... Well, I wouldn't jump into same river twice. I'm not willing to change WHOLE PC just to upgrade the processor. Sorry. They did it with C2D and later with i7. They will do it again with next processors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    +1 . . . or this thread jsut looks like an ad!

magpi Unattached
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    i used to be nufc1234 on my old account i posted a few things but not much

magpi Unattached
    Thank you for all the suggestions i will be going through them and will let you know what i decide

magpi Unattached
    Hi, i have finally brought a computer, i chose a pre built system as i was advised by my friend that i couldn't get the specs of the system i chose much cheaper so i was advised to buy a prebuilt one, anyways i was hoping for some more help, i want to set up dual monitor support and i have two vga monitor both work if i plug them into the single vga port i have seperately but as i want dual monitors i chose to buy a vga to dvi-i adapter in which i plug the adapter into the dvi-i port on the tower and the vga into the adapter but this then shows no signal on the monitor any ideas how to get it to work will be greatly appreciated

vCash
    Google could probably help you out

magpi Unattached
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodster View Post
    Google could probably help you out
    I have used google but unfortunately no solutions :/

vCash
    I do find that hard to believe magpi, best wait for someone on here to advice you then

tongo1 Unattached
    First thing to check is whether the DVI port on the PC is true DVI-I or DVI-D only. If it's DVI-D only then it's not capable of supplying an analog signal and won't work with an analog monitor.

vCash

New Laptop (Ideas)

Im after a new laptop.

Can somebody in the know, link me to some good laptops. 750 or cheaper. Must be up to running Football Manager 13 with ease...

vCash

vCash
    Not sure what specs you need for FM13 but this would run most things easily:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/411374-acer-as...t-nx-m3qek-003

vCash
    Stay the heck away from AMD/ATI for your own good.

With that said, when you consider the price you mostly pay for quality of built, so I can only give you... Hints on what it should have in order to be good.

Definitely i7 processor (2nd or 3rd generation: Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge). Clock shouldn't matter that much as it has got Turbo technology (so overclocking on the fly depending on needs).

Anything lower than i7, is out of question (no, Notebook processors ARE NOT the same as PC processors. They are made for reasonable battery life cycle and not performance, so they got some stuff cut off). Get i3/i5 in notebook and you'll be fuming at how snappy/slow it can be... Even without running any programs (Windows Desktop).

2nd thing you want is RAM. 6-8GB is standard. 12 is getting OTT for the moment (unless you do video/panorama editing/3Ds MAX/Maya stuff than 16 is recommended).

3rd thing speed of HDD is quite important factor to consider. Most notebooks come with 5400RPM HDDs which are SLOW as FUCK. 7200RPM is what you should consider. Always. Even better when you have SSD + HDD combo or hybrid (Seagate Momentus XT). Speed can be increased tenfolds when loading Windows/Games/Applications...

4th is GPU. Reasonable GTX 540M to 610M. Packing a little bit of punch: GTX 660M. CUDA and such (even allowing to play some games on max details).

Rest is optional...

So taking above into account the best, but sadly over your price range is:

Lenovo Y580

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo...63644-pdt.html

Sadly, it doesn't have Full HD matrix .

Will look around some other sites though as there might be better deals out there... And post up if I find anything asap .

vCash
    Thanks.. Found an i5 processor and nearly bought it before seeing your post........

vCash
    SDD + HDD combo for the price he wants is out of the question.

the question really is what you want to do with it. do you use it for other games as well or purely for fm13?

vCash
    That has to be the best post info0 has posted on here since.. forever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patinoz View Post
    SDD + HDD combo for the price he wants is out of the question.

the question really is what you want to do with it. do you use it for other games as well or purely for fm13?
    Its for FM13 only. I only play FM and CM.

Found loads of i5 processors.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4