Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leigh RMI (ODB)

Leigh RMI (ODB)

Here is the first chapter on my new save with English Conference side Leigh RMI. If you're just interested in this current save, skip the first part and scroll down untill you find the start of that story.

First a few side notes as to what I have been up to in my CM-life lately. As some of you might now, I did a couple of saves earlier this year (all on the ODB). Mainly a Sunderland save:
    https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12423

Afterwards a Man Utd save:
    https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13107

Recently I started a save with the team from my current home town of Kristiansand in Norway, the team is called IK Start and starts in the Norwegian second tier (using my usual save restrictions which you will find in the above links to earlier saves). I played through the first season. I guess 50-70% through the season I was becoming unsure of whether I was motivated to play any further than the first season. At first at was relatively challenging and entertaining, I think I was around 2nd-3rd in the league for the first half of the season (top to get promoted automaticly, 3rd spot play a 2-legged playoff match vs. 3rd bottom from the top tier). Then it became too easy, and I ended up winning the league easily, even though 2nd placed Vlerenga was a very strong team and would probably finish around 3rd spot if they were in the top tier. The final straw of the save - climax and motivation killer - was that I made it to the cup final vs. Rosenborg, by far Norway's best side. At the same time, October 2002 (the Norwegian season follows the calendar year, so ends around October), Rosenborg were in the Champions League first group stage where they won vs. Juventus in one of their matches among other great results. Eventually they would finish 3rd in their group, the would have finished 1st or 2nd if they hadn't lost their last match. So that says it all about their amazing strenght. So I should have been no match for them. The first cup final ended 0-0. They were the somewhat better side and should have won by 1 or 2 goals, but my keeper was brilliant. As per Norwegian cup rules, the cup final was replayed three days later. I won that match 6-1, totally outplayed them, I lead 5-0 after 24 minutes... So that was the last game I played in that save. Great experience, but it also killed my motivation to play any further. It seemed certain that winning the Norwegian league every season would become a foregone conclusion within 1-2 seasons.

So what to do next? I considered returning to my Man Utd or Sunderland saves, picking up where I left off, I still have them. However, that also feels too easy. Same story. Winning the league title easy every year as well as being strong contenders for the Champions League trophy seems like a foregone conclusion. I might play another season in my Sunderland save at some point, but currently I am not up for it.

I also considered doing a save with Danish top tier side Aalborg BK because I used to live in Aalborg and really like that town. If or when I would do such a save, I strongly suspect it would turn out pretty much like the IK Start Kristiansand save and become boring and unchallenging after a season or so.

So instead I found the worst English team I could find - Leigh RMI in the Conference. I looked at Northwhich Victoria who might be second worst. But Leigh are even worse, believe me.

Probably the worst parts of Leigh, and what makes the team much worse than other terrible teams like Northwhich Victoria and Scarborough are these factors:
    - First and foremost: They must have the worst possible club reputation. Much fewer staff and players are interested in joining, even compared to Northwhich and Scarborough. The biggest problem with that is that only ONE scout wants to join me, a 63 year old crap scout with 7/9 for JPA/JPP. I brought him in and now I have two scouts at the club, still no chance to hire anyone else (I am now at August 7th 2001, most of pre-season over).
    - The scouts haven't found me a single useful player so far, not surprising given the above.
    - The squad is terrible, worst in the league I am pretty sure. Hardly a single sellable player with any value, unlike Scarborough and Northwhich Victoria where it is much easier bringing in a lot of cash through player sales.

Biggest news about the save so far:
    - I sold a couple of players. A youth prospect for 10k, and a 30 y/o DMC for 85k two Divionsion 3 side Hartlepool (good fee, he was valued at 35k). I am still in the red financially though.
    - I randomly 'bought' three players. Because I needed to hire new staff, and three of them only wanted to sign as player/coach. Luckily two of them are actually some of my best players now: A 36 y/o Lee Sinnott who is by far my best DC. And a 39 y/o Barry Horne (around 62 Welsh caps) who is by far my best DMC. I guess that says it all about the rest of my squad

As mentioned, no other potential signings currently in sight. Given that only top spot gets promoted I guess I will most likely not get promoted this year. Seems like an interesting challenge at the moment, looking forward to the season.

By the way, I wonder how much longer I will continue to play CM 01/02. I don't think I am interested in new databases and/or further restrictions because I value realism (regarding the latter). Think I will mostly like start playing the newest FM game within a year or so, suspect that CM 01/02 has finally outlived me by then.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dane For This Useful Post:

Good luck on the new save and congrats I see you are completing today 1 year since signing in the forum . Happy new year too

Hoppefully it will be more challenging with this worse club, but i still dont quite understand how the game ends up being so easy for you. I always struggle in a realistic way, whatever team I pick. I put some restrictions for myself too, ones which I think are realistic like not changing anything in the offer player contract screen, not having huge squad dept, only buying players when im not happy with current ones, etc etc. But even when I cheat like using scout tools, I still struggle. I always use non-wibwob tactics which I create as if I was creating a tactic for real life, even if I know the tactic wont work well for the match engine, this way I avoid abusing some flaws of the match engine.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MadScientist For This Useful Post:

Same here. It's a realistic struggle always, as long as you don't use Wib-Wob vs default tactics, of course.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Same here. I totally agree. Have never used wib wob or central midfield stacking tactics and never will. Use my standard 4-5-1 as described in the links to previous saves.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    i still dont quite understand how the game ends up being so easy for you. I always struggle in a realistic way
    Good question. I am not sure either. It seems like we play the game in quite a similar way. Some possible ideas as to why I do well, things that you possible do differently?:
    - I do use the player comparison function quite heavily when it comes to deciding which players go in and out. In other words, I never buy a player unless he comes out favourably in the 5 star plus/minus player comparison with other players I have in the same position (but he has to be found me my scouts in the first place and be heavily recommended by them as mentioned in my earlier saves).
    - My tactics is by no means OP. Not wib wob either. But on the other hand, it is still a better tactic than what almost all AI managers use, their flat 4-4-2 etc. My tactic is this, 4-5-1: GK - DL DC DC DR - DMC - left winger/wide midfielder MC right winger/wide midfielder - AMC - SC. So I do have one DMC which is an OP position I understand. I also sort have 2.5-3 players in central midfield (DMC, MC, AMC).
    - I do optimize training, have at least 50 points in all training regimes etc. (although in this save I can't do it at goalkeeping training, my coaches are so bad the GK training only ads up to around 45 points even with 6 coaches including the assistant manager; partially because I don't allow myself to upgrade staff, only of my realism restrictions).

December 31st 2001. Halfway through season one.

General stuff first. Around September 1st, so just after my last updated, an important aspect normalized. I was actually able to pick from a selection of staff. In other words I could fill out my vacant slots regarding scouts and physios. I wasn't excactly able to hire world beaters, but they are fine for this level I guess. My now 7 scouts have average judging player ability + judging player potential of around 11.

TRANSFERS IN
    (since the start of the save)
    Generally uninspiring signing, so I will just list the names here, earliest arrivals first. All except the most recent signing were free agents by the way.
    Lee Sinnott (player/coach)
    Micky Gynn (player/coach)
    Barry Horne (player/coach)
    Narciso
    Jo Geebelen
    Monti
    Thomas Cudworth
    Juan
    Michael . Andersen
    Bruno
    Ian Joy
    John Carroll
    John Hardiker (20k from Morecambe)

The signings have generally been uninspiring. This club must have an extraordinary low repution. Very few players interested in joining and a very poor selection of players that get recommended by my scouts. I like this a lot actually, makes the save challenging. Anyway, the only signings who are first team regulars and who clearly strengthen my starting XI are Lee Sinnott (my best DC) and one of either Barry Horne or Michael . Andersen who are my two best DMC's. Quite funny since the signings of Sinnott and Horne only happened because I needed more coaches. It is pure luck that they happened to be very good players, at least compared to my crap squad. Anyway, the other players are either squad players or youth prospects. The best ones of the rest of my signings are:
    - Juan and Jo Geebelen who are probably my two best DL's, but by no means outstanding, avg. rating of perhaps about 7.10.
    - Monti, my 2nd or 3rd choice SC
    - Ian Joy, my 2nd choice ML
    - Thomas Cudworth and John Hardiker, my 2nd/3rd choice DC's, but mediocre, avg. rating around 7.00
    A generally good thing with the signings is that I improved my squad depth a lot. Which is highly needed, compact match schedule large parts of the season, I need to rotate a lot. As a sidenote to this, I make more and earlier substitutions during the matches than I have ever had to in any other save. Because a few of my first team regulars have terrible stamina, so certain players are subbed of around the 60-75 minute mark virtually every time they start. Challenging and interesting to have to deal with stuff like that. I guess it says a lot about the quality of my squad when my 1st or 2nd choice SC has stamina of 3 and is generally mediocre or half bad in his stats.

TRANSFERS OUT
    (earliest departures listed first)
    Brett Storey to Gravesend for 10k
    Neil Fisher to Hartlepool for 85k
    Keith Evans released
    Simon Kay to Northwich Victoria for free
    Graham Hill released
    Ian Monk released (he probably got around 10 warnings or fines during a few months, skipped practice etc. all the time. Terrible stats as well. Whoever signed him must have been beyond incompetent. Classic Leigh RMI I guess, I believe the club in real life went bankrupt and ceased to exist within a few years of CM 01/02 being released.
    Robert Trees to Luton for 300k
    Mike Devaney to Tamworth for 75k
    So some nice transfer fees here obviously. That was very much needed financially. I was 150k in the red at the start of the save, and the club is hemorrhaging money if it wasn't for player sales, without such extraordinary income I think I am at least 30-40k in the red per month. Anyway, due to these nice player sales I currently have 117k in the bank, not bad.

Current league standing (position/team/matches played/points)
    1. Leigh RMI 21 48
    2. Nuneaton Borough 22 45
    3. Boston Utd 22 44
    4. Doncaster 22 41
    5. Stevenage 21 40
    6. Farnborough 21 36
    7. Southport 21 35
    8. Dagenham & Redbridge 21 34
    9. Forest Green 22 31
    I certainly didn't see this coming. I don't understand why I am doing so well with quite a poor squad. I guess tactics is a major explanation. Even though my described 4-5-1 tactics is by no means OP, I guess it is still much better than what most AI managers use. It is probably a big advantage to field a DMC. Anyway, looking good, a 3 point gap to 2nd place with a game in hand. My recent form has been poor, just 4 points in the last 4 games, so form needs to pick up if I am to get promoted.

CUPS

FA Cup
    Qualifying round vs. Tamworth. 1-1 away, won the replay at home 3-2
    1st round, at home vs. Huddersfield from Division 2 (tier 3), they were around 7th at the time. 2-0 win Even match, a draw would have been fair. Anyway, great result.
    2nd round, away vs. Nuneaton Borough, 2-0
    3rd round, away vs. Birmingham from Division 1 (tier 2), the match will be played January 5th. Will probably be a defeat, but we'll see. Great cup run in any case.

Vans Trophy (for some reason I was one of a few Conference side invited to this cup that seems to be primarily for Division 2+3 sides)
    1st round, at home vs. Port Vale who were 1st in Division 2 at the time. 1-2 loss. Even match, a draw would have been fair.

FA Trophy (cup for non-league teams only, Conference and below)
    2nd round, away vs. Southport. 3-0 win, easy. 3rd round (round of 16) away vs. Hereford coming up.

Best performing players
    The mentioned Sinnott, Horne (avg. rating 7.67), Michael . Andersen, Juan, Jo Geebelen. Players with poor stats who play surprisingly well and are first choice (avg. rating): Paul Robertson ML 7.53, MC Andy Walker MC 7.47, Rostron SC 7.25. Dootson GK 7.22, Tony Black SC 7.40.

So we'll see how it goes from here. I am very surprised to have a good chance of promotion with this poor side.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dane For This Useful Post:

Bruno is a familiar name. Wher does he play and where is he from ?

The results have been fantastic so far.

Just a tip .... screenshots of league tables always look better than text. There is a guide on how to do it if you need it.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Bruno is a familiar name. Wher does he play and where is he from ?

The results have been fantastic so far.

Just a tip .... screenshots of league tables always look better than text. There is a guide on how to do it if you need it.
    Bruno is a Portugues ML, 23 y/o, free agent at the start of the save. I haven't played him in my first team so far, just a youth prospect / fringe player so far.

Where is that guide? I don't know how to use the screenshots.

January 5th. I feel like a brief update, almost live.

Just played the FA Cup 3rd round match away vs. Birmingham from Division 1 (2nd tier). I won 2-1 A bit lucky, even game according to match stats, a draw would have been the most fair result. Birmingham lined up in their absolutely strongest formation, so incredible that they didn't thump me.

Financially the tie was great as well. I just over 100k in gate receipts and 30k prize money. So because of this one match my bank balance jumped from 117k to 260k. Very useful since I probably lose 30-40k a month when I don't any extraordinary income.

On January 2nd I played 0-0 at home vs. mid table Stalybridge by the way, so my team is not excactly invincible. A couple of the other top teams lost though, so I currently have a lead of 4 pts to 2nd place and a game in hand. Tight in the top though, and the 4th placed side are only 6 points behind me and I have no game in hand on that side.

Will be excititing to see the draw for the FA Cup 4th round. Away vs. Man Utd please.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dane For This Useful Post:

I got Fulham away in the FA Cup 4th round. Very bad draw it seems. They have the lowest avg. attendance in the Premier League, just below 20k. So they actually have fewer fans than Birmingham who averaged 23-24k in Division in this season so far.

Although I guess I am not entirely without chance. After all Fulham are currently 18th in the Premier League, whereas Birmingham are currently placed 3rd in Division 1. So quite equal level teams it seems. If I could play an even match and sneak a win vs. Birmingham (I am still puzzled how that could happen), I guess it is not out of the question that such a feat repeats itself.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dane For This Useful Post:

Have a read of this

https://champman0102.co.uk/showthrea...ht=EasyCapture

(still enjoying this and great result v Brummies)
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

Let's hope you don't get bored by this challenge too, dane!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Have a read of this

https://champman0102.co.uk/showthrea...ht=EasyCapture

(still enjoying this and great result v Brummies)
    I can't get it to work unfortunately. I have the most basic problem possible. Either the print sceen button on my keyboard doesn't work, or I don't know how to use it. I have tried lots of different stuff via googling "where do you find screenshots on PC" etc. But I can't work if out. For excample, I don't see any folder where screenshots are automatically saved. So I have to keep on only using text I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrkh View Post
    Let's hope you don't get bored by this challenge too, dane!
    I hope so too I am definitely not bored so far. Still feels like quite a challenge. Pretty close at the top of the league. And my squad is really terrible, so no guarantees that good form will continue. It actually already stopped since I only got 5 points in the last 5 league games

That reminds me of a strange gut feeling I have about the game - I feel like I often get worse results during the winter, at least in the first season. Coincidence, biased/wrong gut feeling? Or perhaps due to the fact that I always use short passing, perhaps not as efficient in the winter?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to dane For This Useful Post:

January 26th 2002. I won the FA Cup 4th round match away vs. 18th in the Premier League Fulham by 1-0 Incredible. Was even slightly deserved, we were the slightly better team, 3/2 shots/on target vs. their 1/0. They even fielded their strongest team. They a had a slightly weird tactic though, 3 DC's, 2 DMC's, 2 wingbacks, and 3 SC's, though the two SC's in the sides with a sideway arrow towards the cornerflag.

The draw for the 5th round has not yet been made.

The match winner was my top goal scorer this season. For entertainment I present him (it says a lot about the 'quality' of my squad). This is 33 y/o SC Tony Black:
    Acceleration 5
    Aggression 9
    Agility 6
    Anticipation 5
    Balance 5
    Bravery 2
    Creativity 7
    Crossing 7
    Decisions 5
    Determination 6
    Dribbling 15
    Finishing 8
    Flair 8
    Heading 6
    Influence 6
    Jumping 1
    Long Shots 8
    Marking 6
    Off The Ball 8
    Pace 18
    Passing 6
    Positioning 7
    Set Pieces 7
    Stamina 3
    Strength 7
    Tackling 8
    Teamwork 4
    Technique 11
    Work Rate 6

Who needs Patrick Vieira or van Nistelrooy when you have players like this?

I just reread everything and it seems that there is something wrong with your save. Not sure what is wrong, but this is not how the game works for me or others.

If it were that easy none of us would be playing the game anymore.

If I were you I would delete everything and reinstall the game including the necessary patches: (https://champman0102.co.uk/downloads.php?do=file&id=2)

And then I would also install a stronger AI pack.

I would probably install Aeelon AI Lite - NO WIB-WOB Tactic Pack:
    https://champman0102.co.uk/downloads.php?do=file&id=389

A really strong pack would be CM0102HarderAITac:
    https://champman0102.co.uk/downloads.php?do=file&id=383

The ultimate challenge could be my Strongest AI Tactics v2
    https://champman0102.co.uk/downloads.php?do=file&id=311

27. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Yes I play the old original version, no patches. Personally I think I will prefer to soon move on to new FM versions though, instead of using such tweak patches.

Do any of those patches preserve the ODB, 3.68 or whatever it is called? I don't think I would consider patches unless almost all if the ODB feeling is preserved.

By the way, almost all of my regular players have much better stats than the player I showed. Not great, but mediocre, several probably could play 1-2 divisions higher. So Tony Black is not representative of my squad. His 6stats are funny though.

Quote Originally Posted by dane View Post
    Yes I play the old original version, no patches. Personally I think I will prefer to soon move on to new FM versions though, instead of using such tweak patches.

Do any of those patches preserve the ODB, 3.68 or whatever it is called? I don't think I would consider patches unless almost all if the ODB feeling is preserved.

By the way, almost all of my regular players have much better stats than the player I showed. Not great, but mediocre, several probably could play 1-2 divisions higher. So Tony Black is not representative of my squad. His 6stats are funny though.
    You can just install the programme and the official 3.68 patch plus an AI pack.

That will preserve the ODB but make the computer-operated teams much better.
    Last edited by samsami; 19-01-20 at 01:53 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Did the draw for the FA Cup 5th round. I got Liverpool away. So the cup run probably ends here, even without and AI pack. They are currently 6th in the league.

Did the draw for the FA Cup 5th round. I got Liverpool away. So the cup run probably ends here, even without and AI pack. They are currently 6th in the league.
    Yes, but you would not be league leaders then 😉

Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    Yes, but you would not be league leaders then 😉
    What do you mean? I don't understand.

What do you mean? I don't understand.
    You're leading the League now, right? Because the computer uses weak tactics.

Yes, now I get it.

I just lost 0-2 at home to rock bottom Hereford by the way. Perhaps AI is not the only one using weak tactics

Yes, now I get it.

I just lost 0-2 at home to rock bottom Hereford by the way. Perhaps AI is not the only one using weak tactics
    True 😉

The tactic packs make the game more realistic, though.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    True 😉

The tactic packs make the game more realistic, though.
    What tactics are the most common in the tactics packs? I imagine it is the same as what we generally know is OP tactics. Stacking central midfield and playing at least one DMC. Probably playing with maximum two wide players (full backs, wingers and anything in between). And playing with only one SC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast