Thread: Website Infections (Annoying Pop-Ups and Spam Links)

vCash

Website Infections (Annoying Pop-Ups and Spam Links)

Dear all,

As you may already be aware, we have been inundated with pop-ups advertising spam over the last couple of months. The cause of this was unknown, but after taking steps several times over the cause of those two months to tackle the issue and believing they'd been resolved following testing, they'd again be back within a week.

We have taken further steps this week to resolve the issue and feel confident now that the issue has been resolved once and for all. Unfortunately, such measures involved rolling back to the last backup of the database and cleaning it in the process. Doing so means that we have unavoidably lost the two days worth of posts as the last scheduled backup had been made on 5th January. It's certainly frustrating but I hope we can all recognise that two days worth of posts being lost is a small price to pay in comparison to losing the entire database and having to rebuild on a new server and new website which had been discussed as a last resort.

For those affected in terms of being greeted by such pop-ups and those who have lost posts (myself included!), we can only apologise for the irritation and inconvenience but on the bright side, we can now return to normal!

Cheers
    Mark

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    good thing I saw this before I went on a tirade about being singled out for having posts deleted! ha

vCash
    I wondered why my Vipers post dissappeared, thought someone discovered the CM-version of a Thanos snap

If only we were so worthy

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    Luckily I could recover my posts from yesterday and today and post them again.
    Must suck if you don't pre-write story parts But it'll be worth it of course if the issues resolved

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    ^^^^^

This. I wrote my first update in my story in weeks on Monday. Got to re-write it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Any news on this? Seems to be pretty bad at the moment. Getting a new tab opening pretty much every time I click on anything on this site.

vCash
    I just had one pop telling me to downland "APTLY?" came up several times.

vCash

vCash
    You'll need to delete your cookies for this website to get rid of them, as we cleaned the site of them, but they will be cached in your browsers.

Also - Install a pop-up blocker if you haven't already got one

We're working on a long-term solution to solve this but for the time being, the above should sort it.