Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The 1,000 Goal Challenge

The 1,000 Goal Challenge

Pele has said to have done it, Romario claims to have done it, and fellow Brazilian Arthur Friedenreich is meant to have been the first, now it's your turn to have a player score 1,000 goals.

There are no restrictions, you can use any tactic, any player, any team, any database, you just have to manage a player (either signing someone or inheriting someone already at the club) and have them score a thousand goals for you (previous goals scored don't apply i.e. all of Messi's for Barcelona now).

1,000 Goal Challenge Hall of Fame

p3ndo3l - Wayne Rooney - Man Utd
    Alan - Alexandros Papadopoulos - Celtic
    tembo_86 - Jake Sinclair - Southampton
    Asthereal - Fernando Torres - Atletico Madrid
    MR_Punk - Luka Reischl - Barnsley
    Kingsley - Matthew Williams - Cwmbran Town
    Renitor - Daniel Sequeira (Regen) - Man Utd
    Last edited by AMC; 05-10-20 at 08:40 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

Nice - I'm no tactic whizz so probably won't bother with this but will keep an eye on others

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

AMC

Nice idea and I’ll give it a go when I get a chance. Initial thought is to use a Brazilian club/player as they have the most games in a season. Down side is he may want to leave for Europe.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

Just thinking who I knew who was decent and in Brazil!!

Will give this a go as well at some point.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

AMC

Or a good young striker who would move to Brazil. Like Cherno Samba, the younger the better

I did like the idea of it being a Brazilian player or with a Brazilian club, but choices are limited for the first one, and for the latter they’ll want to move onto a European club at some point, probably at the end of their contract as they won’t sign a new one.

I don’t really do the whole win wob thing and probably would be useless at this challenge but best of luck to those going to attempt it. Just hope you don’t get halfway through and then your player gets serious injuries.

Blimey Samba looks average at 16 (attribute wise - finishing and off the ball are pretty low) but we know he’ll come good!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

AMC

I've decided to go back to the ODB, and one of the original wonderkids, Millwall's Cherno Samba who at 15 on starting the game has a good 20 years to get the goals for me, an average of 50 a season then. As it's taken me right back to when I first started playing the game I've also decided to use a tactic which I did 15 years ago, and was probably one of if not the first "super tactic" - WWW2, which was created back on The Dugout years before there were any Tapani inspired tactics, and even before a Diagonal Defensive Line (DDL) was believed to be a massive jump forward in tactic making on the game.

I've just completed my first season which ended in us winning the Championship by 34 points from 2nd placed West Brom, and Samba is already hitting the average of 50 goals I've asked of him as he managed 51 for the season (with 11 in the last 5 games). Unfortunately away ties to Liverpool and Man Utd early in the domestic cups meant he didn't play many cup games, while he also missed three weeks of the season through injury, things will only get tougher in the Premiership for young Cherno that's for sure.

Second season done, and a Samba hat-trick on the last day gave us the league title from Leeds, but it was a solid if not spectacular first season in the top flight for him, as he scored 28 goals from 37 games in the season. He started well bagging more than a goal a game until an injury at the start of the November, and then on his return it seemed to drop to about a 1 in 2 rate unfortunately. The cups once again weren't the best for us while he was also called away on u21 duty for a couple of league games which infuriated me greatly, but his stats are filling out a bit more now, and with European football and hopefully better luck in the cups he should be making 50-60 games next season.

Last edited by AMC; 05-10-20 at 08:39 PM.

Good start, do international goals ( and U21) count ?

Just working out the scale of the challenge. Assuming you get 15 years out of your boy, that would be 67 goals every season. One hell of a challenge.

Just club games mate, I'm sure someone could maybe do it in 8-12 seasons with a Tsigalko or Skalidis or maybe Messi or Ronaldo on a 2010 database.

Some players play on to 40 if you keep giving them first team football so you could get 25 years out of this at best

Cherno has just scored his landmark 100th goal, coming in his 101st appearance. Unfortunately due to four injuries in the first half of the season (only managing 14 games before the New Year) he hasn't had anywhere near the game time I was hoping he'd have had, hopefully he's put them problems behind him for the second half of the season.

Another season down and another 34 goals added to the total for Cherno, which would have been alot more if he didn't miss 13 weeks of the season due to injury. I played Mark Hughes's regen while he was out and he managed 21 goals from 20 games so what might have been if Samba managed to stay fit. Once again the title was won on the last day, while we made the last 8 of the CL, semis of the FA Cup and quarters of the League Cup.

What! No DWSv2?

Good luck AMC!!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cam F For This Useful Post:

AMC

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Nice idea and I’ll give it a go when I get a chance. Initial thought is to use a Brazilian club/player as they have the most games in a season. Down side is he may want to leave for Europe.
    Got a player to score 200 in a season in Brazil as one of the leagues you play 2 leagues, one against good teams and one against almost pub 3rd division teams.

best I have done elsewhere was 168 from Rooney at MU one fluky season.

Quote Originally Posted by James_y View Post
    Some players play on to 40 if you keep giving them first team football so you could get 25 years out of this at best
    Do they ?
    My experience is that that only happens for non-human managers. If I have a player doing well and regularly in the first team they almost always retire at 32 or 33 as the AI tries to bite your bum. Also, the physical attributes drop off alarmingly after 33 and it is as rare as a hens tooth that I find a 35 year old who is even remotely useable as a player.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Just club games mate, I'm sure someone could maybe do it in 8-12 seasons with a Tsigalko or Skalidis or maybe Messi or Ronaldo on a 2010 database.
    I was looking at the greeks in the .68 update Skalidis and Papaoudopolis were always very injury prone for me, so I did try to get Charisteas (who was always my fave) to move to Brazil. Unfortunately his club was not willing to talk anything that I can afford. I'm still looking at Brazil as the host club, but perhaps a player from a minor South American nation so that he doesn't get attracted by the bright lights of Europe.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

I very much doubt I'll manage 1,000 with anyone, but I never keep players for their whole careers so I might give this a go just to see how many I can get with one player!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to riise For This Useful Post:

AMC

Here we go never had Tallan Martin at club level before, but think I've had him in Australia squads in the past just cos of his reputation!

Probably not the best decision to play in Australia as there's a maximum of 31 league games, OFC Champions League is nowhere near as many games as its European equivalent and there doesn't appear to be a domestic cup competition

28. The Following User Says Thank You to riise For This Useful Post:

AMC

Best of luck mate

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Do they ?
    My experience is that that only happens for non-human managers. If I have a player doing well and regularly in the first team they almost always retire at 32 or 33 as the AI tries to bite your bum. Also, the physical attributes drop off alarmingly after 33 and it is as rare as a hens tooth that I find a 35 year old who is even remotely useable as a player.
    My boy here played for me from when he was a teenager to 40 and wasn’t even retired when I got bored of the save. Never made the Spain National team and no where near the Samba level. I never used wib wob so I guess doubling this could be possible!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

AMC

So, I have made a tentative start to this demanding challenge. It is going to be tough for me as I usually get board with one club after 3 or 4 years. To take it for 15 or more will take me out of my comfort zone.

I've taken an analytical approach for the club and as they have the most games in a season, started off in Brazil. Within that, 5 clubs get to play every year in the Copa Sudamerica, so that will guarantee another 6-12 matches every season. Of them, Cruzeiro and Vasco play in State leagues that have a guaranteed 22 matches (24 if it goes to a playoff) the others have just 19. Add in a possible 14 cup games, 31 Serie A games, 9 copa dos campeoes, 2 in the recopa sudamerica and 2 in the world club championships and we could have a possible 103 club games in a season !

I chose Vasco only because I can't remember playing with them before.

(This is on the April 2018 update. The Copa Sudamerica clubs may change with different databases)

With the club sorted I was looking for a player, ideally from a minor south american nation so that they would be less attractive to European clubs. Step forward Jan Hurtado from Venezuela

Starting as a free agent, he developed into a beast of a player in my journeyman story where I'm attempting to win everything. I tried to sign him 4 or 5 times, but never managed to land him. This is how he turned out in that save

I have signed him on an initial 10 year contract, which I'll renew at the start of every season in an attempt to keep him at Vasco for as long as I can. There are no release clauses to worry about for now.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

We're well on track... provided he plays for over 83 seasons!

He shoots plenty but suffered a mid-season drought after a decent start. That makes me think my tactic works for him, but might look into changing it to try and get the best out of him... I've never done wib/wob and not about to start!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to riise For This Useful Post:

Good luck Kingsley! As a Vasco fan, hope you can make it

37. The Following User Says Thank You to bruebous For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bruebous View Post
    Good luck Kingsley! As a Vasco fan, hope you can make it
    Thanks. Vasco have an interesting history, starting as a rowing club and then their involvement in the anti racism movement in Brazilian sport.
    Also for this challenge, Pelé scored his 1,000th goal against Vasco, a penalty, at the Maracanã Stadium.

Can you imagine if VAR had been involved and with Pelé lining up the penalty, for his 1,000th goal, the referee reverses his decision
    Last edited by Kingsley; 21-01-20 at 05:14 PM.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast