Thread: champman0102.co.uk will be moving!

champman0102.co.uk will be moving!

Dear all,

In light of recent issues with spam and pop-ups plaguing our site, we have made the decision to leave the current vBulletin platform behind and move to a new server which will then host a phpBB instance as our new home.

Sadly, due to our site suffering from the pop-ups, we won't be migrating any content as that may also bring the threat over to our new home.

Over the coming weeks, work will begin to start preparing our new phpBB website and to re-create the important threads that will be needed such as our download links, FAQs, technical support and resources. Unfortunately, that does mean we will need to re-register our accounts and effectively 'start again' but we do plan to give you a time frame where you can copy your own threads to our new home if you wish.

As there will be a lot to do, we won't be able to estimate when the new site will go live. When we do feel that it's ready to be launched, we will of course, let the community know via an announcement before we perform the live switch-over.

Cheers
    Mark

2. The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Wow, sounds drastic....did you ever find the cause of the pop-ups? Was it an infection coming through the google ads or something external "hacking" them in?

Any chance of you dumping all the thread text somewhere downloadable before you move? There's lots of nuggets of very useful hidden info tucked away in the myriad of threads on the board which would be a real shame to lose.

Good luck!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nick+Co For This Useful Post:

Will there be a shout box in the new place????

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Felix For This Useful Post:

I have never seen spam or pop-ups when using the site on my PC.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nick+Co View Post
    Wow, sounds drastic....did you ever find the cause of the pop-ups? Was it an infection coming through the google ads or something external "hacking" them in?

Any chance of you dumping all the thread text somewhere downloadable before you move? There's lots of nuggets of very useful hidden info tucked away in the myriad of threads on the board which would be a real shame to lose.

Good luck!
    We didn't Even with the help of the current hosting service, we weren't able to find the cause. Only to temporarily rid ourselves of them, but they've clearly found a backdoor way of getting into the site despite securing the server, changing all passwords and that sort of thing.

We'll also be moving to a new host, as although the current one has been helpful, I'm a little disappointed they've not been of more use.

In all honesty, this is a move that has been in the pipeline for quite some time. This version of vBulletin is outdated and unlikely to be supported any longer. We could upgrade to v5 which is costly, but also not necessarily a positive step as v5 has been hugely criticised.

When I say all resources will be re-posted to the new site, I include all the useful programming information in that too. In fact, would you (and the likes of saturn too, of course), find it useful to have early access to the new place to help with the move, ensuring all the key posts are copied over? A big part of the new site is getting all of our content and downloads in order, making it easier to find things and we won't be going live until it's sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Will there be a shout box in the new place????
    I sure hope so! We're using the very latest version of phpBB on the new site, so there aren't many extensions released for it just yet. But every previous version of phpBB has a chat box and I'm sure there will be one released in the near future. Hopefully it'll be out by the time we've finished putting the final touches to the new place

Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    I have never seen spam or pop-ups when using the site on my PC.
    Me neither. But that's because I always use Google Chrome with a pop-up blocker already enabled. Plenty use Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox though and even Chrome without an ad-blocker, so it's causing a nuisance to those who don't use one. It's detrimental to the site, as the pop-ups will be driving people away, thinking that a) they're there on purpose to raise money for us, which isn't the case or b) the site is infected.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Mark, If you need any help moving some stuff over I have quite a lot of time on my hands owing to my recent employment status change would be happy to help.

Also I have used phpBB quite extensively in the past, if you need a sounding board or need help I'm happy to help.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisuren For This Useful Post:

Ah, that sucks. Let me know if I can help with anything. I'm no programmer, but I work at a helpdesk and am fairly computer savvy.

Excited for the fresh change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After movement, could we still read articles on https://champman0102.co.uk ?

If I understood Mark correctly, this place will remain available to access.

Not sure how long, though.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Indeed, this place will be remain available for a period of time for people to copy their own threads over and also for us to refer to in case anything has been forgotten once we do go live. How long for, I don't know but we will give people the opportunity to copy their threads over. Especially the story writers, though I'm not going to be doing that myself and will probably have another go at them

Though the new website is still very much in development, we are more than happy to allow anyone access to the site who would like to start copying their threads over now to save themselves time. Please feel free to PM me for the URL address if you wish to do this.

Please note though, I must stress that the URL address is not to be shared, nor are you to post anywhere else on the new website until it goes live. It's strictly for you to copy your own threads over if you do not want to lose them

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    Holy Trinity Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Please note though, I must stress that the URL address is not to be shared, nor are you to post anywhere else on the new website until it goes live. It's strictly for you to copy your own threads over if you do not want to lose them
    That goes for all of you.... don't make me get out the ban hammer.....

I hope the username Mark isn't taken

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ForzaJuve For This Useful Post:

24. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Afraid not. It'll be announced if/when we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Afraid not. It'll be announced if/when we do.
    Thank you, Mark.

Can you say how long it will at least take? That would be helpful information for some of us.

Hi Mark, sorry to hear you've been facing so many issues recently - hope all goes well with the shift mate

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    Thank you, Mark.

Can you say how long it will at least take? That would be helpful information for some of us.
    No, I wouldn't want to put any estimate on when we'll move because I've no idea when that could be, as I said in the announcement itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Hi Mark, sorry to hear you've been facing so many issues recently - hope all goes well with the shift mate
    Nice to see you back, Goofy!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Noticed the pop ups today, sad

You should be able to draw down the text from all threads without bringing over what's causing the problems - I'd be happy to help if you need.

Hey Mark,

I've not posted here for awhile as life has taken up the majority of my time, but I'd love to be able to help strip the board into a suitable format to be put back into the new phpBB one if you want?

Drop me a PM, or email me if you fancy it.

Best wishes,

n25

Hopefully someone will hold up their hand to move the patch content across. It is a gold mine, and an invaluable source of information in being able to mod the game!

Would there be an option of downloading from the site instead of a third-party file share? Could understand why not, but if it's an option - even if VIP was needed more - might help with tools, databases etc. for members to find and download safer.

The one we use now always seems a bit off putting...

Maybe...

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post: