Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Hennes Weisweiler

vCash
    There's you thinking you're Billy Bigtime.
    Must ensure Euro qualification for next year.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash

September 2026

Results

Nürnberg 0 Viktoria Köln 0

I continued with the 433 formation for the trip to mid table Nürnberg. A game of two halves. The hosts had the upper hand in the first half, us in the second. Both sides defended well, and a draw was a fair result.

Viktoria Köln 1 Borussia Monchengladbach 0

Same formation against the champions. We dominated the first half, having 6 shots at their goal without reply. The second half was a bit more even. Just after the hour, I took off Tidian M'Baye, and brought on Marvin Lehner. This had the desired effect when in the 70th minute, Lehner chested down a direct ball from Alex Duran, and from 20 yards out, hit a stunning volley into the back of the net. We defended well for the remainder of the game, with Pawel Bialek winning 6 tackles at left back, and Afram Hanna and Alex Duran winning 10 tackles and 7 headers between them. A sweet win over a club that has turned me down twice.

Viktoria Köln 3 VfB Stuttgart 1

The first half had been a scrappy encounter, then in the 30th minute the visitors took the lead. This seemed to galvanize us into creating chances, and we were unlucky not to be going in at least level at half time. We continued to put Stuttgart under pressure in the second half, and our efforts paid off when Pape Mbaye found Marvin Lehner, who hit a spectacular shot from distance into the back of the net to level the game in the 55th minute. 6 minutes later I took off Khalifa Shrahili, and brought on Marvin Förster to play in the AMR role, and switched Alexander Erdogan to the AML role. We continued to put the visitors under pressure. They dealt with it well, but our perseverance paid off when Erdogan made a good run down the left, then delivered an excellent cross into the box, Lehner climbed above the Stuttgart keeper and headed us into an 86th minute lead. We seemed to smell blood, and 4 minutes later Alain Miyogo turned neatly with the ball, nutmegged the defender, then sent a ball into the area for Lehner, who found himself in space to volley the ball home to wrap the game up, and complete his hat-trick.

League Table

The good start continues. It's nice to be top of the league. Really pleased with how we're playing, but it is of course, early days.

Player Focus

Having 5 Viktoria Köln players in the top 11 for average rating is a reflection of our good start. I've picked out Pape Mbaye. He's performed really well on the right of the three central midfielders so far this season, with 2 assists, and a decent tackles per game ratio. A good improvement on last season.

I suppose the question is, have improved performances and results come about as a result of change in formation, natural progression of players, or a bit of both?

Forthcoming Fixtures

Next up is a trip to mid table Augsburg.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

5. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

6. What a start this is! The real deal or false hope?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Helluva start

New formation for sure is doing something

Do you generally have a settled XI or make many changes (barring injury/suspension/fitness)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James_y View Post
    What a start this is! The real deal or false hope?
    Time will tell. How I utilize this young squad will be important.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Helluva start

New formation for sure is doing something

Do you generally have a settled XI or make many changes (barring injury/suspension/fitness)
    Previously I've often switched formations depending on whether it's a home or away game, so leave full backs out if I'm playing 352 for example. Otherwise, I try to keep the same team for the next game if we've had a decent result in the previous one. Because we finished last season poorly, the only players that I knew would be in my starting XI for our opening game were Afram Hanna and Alex Duran. The rest was decided based on how we did pre season. Once I'd decided my XI, it becomes dynamic, so an example would be Tidian M'Baye started as my striker based on his form in pre season. He wasn't performing particularly well in the first few games, but he kept his place as we were getting results. In the Monchengladbach game, I took M'Baye off for Marvin Lehner, who scored the winner. As a result, Lehner played his way into the side, and will of course keep his place after scoring a hat-trick against Stuttgart. If he's below par in the next game, and we don't get a decent result, I might rest him as he's still young. Not for long though, as he's shown what he's capable of. I'd probably be more patient with someone aged 21 or over, but not if I thought that someone who has previously performed better deserved to be in the side.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

October 2026

Results

Augsburg 0 Viktoria Köln 3

Just one change for our trip to mid table Augsburg, with Khalifa Shrahili making way for Marvin Förster after his impact coming off the bench in the Stuttgart game. Alexander Erdogan moved to the AML position, to accommodate Förster in the AMR role. We got off to a great start, with Pape Mbaye picking out Erdogan's excellent run, allowing the newly capped Germany under 21 international to volley us into a 4th minute lead. 2 minutes later, Leonardo Mustaccia found Förster in space in the area, who struck the ball with fury to score and double our lead. We'd dominated the first half, and were well worth our 2-0 lead.

The second half was a bit closer, but we defended well. In the 76th minute, Man of the Match, Pape Mbaye picked himself up after he was fouled, and sent a free kick into the box. Marvin Lehner climbed above Lorius Karius to head us into a 3-0 lead, which wrapped up the game.

Viktoria Köln 1 Bochum 0

The first half of our visit by newly promoted Bochum was a fairly even 45 minutes, though we probably just shaded it with chances. We started the second half well when Leonardo Mustaccia received a loose ball, and found Marvin Förster in the area, who finished well to make it 2 goals in 2 games. Captain Afram Hanna was shown a straight red card for a professional foul in the 59th minute, so I took off Alexander Erdogan, and brought on Tomas Rodriguez. We contained the visitors well from then on, and secured a hard fought three points.

FC Bayern 1 Viktoria Köln 0

The only change for the trip to Bayern was Tomas Rodriguez coming in for the suspended Afram Hanna. We started well enough, and after 7 minutes had a good penalty appeal turned down. 3 minutes later, a Bayern attacker went down in our box after a challenge from Pawel Bialek, and yes you've guessed it, Bayern won a penalty, and scored. We came under a lot of pressure after that, which Magno Bruno dealt with well. I then took off Alain Miyogo and brought on Tidian M'Baye after 32 minutes, and switched to 4132 as we weren't creating anything. This helped, and the game was open and even. Both sides had numerous chances, and as much as we could have got an equaliser, Bayern could have doubled their lead. I can't help but feel that the penalty decisions changed the course of the game, but even so Magno Bruno put in an outstanding performance between the sticks to win the Man of the Match award.

League Table

We were top of the table after the Augsburg and Bochum wins. 3rd feels like a nice position to be in. Sustaining good form will be tough. Both Alex Duran (20) and Alexander Erdogan (17) are finishing games exhausted. Pape Mbaye (21) has been below par these past couple of games. I have a lot of depth in the squad, so if I do feel the need to rest these lads, it'll be interesting to see who can step up and have an impact.

Player Focus

In terms of average rating, Magno has been our best player so far this season. He had a brief and inconsistent run of games last season when I was resting Xaysavath Souvanhansok, and Daniel Mesenhöler was suspended. I brought Magno back into the side for the final game of last season, and he helped us keep a clean sheet. I've started with him this season, and have been delighted with his performances. There's a lot of competition for first choice keeper, so he'll need to maintain this good form to remain in the side.

Forthcoming Fixtures

In a busy November, our next game is at home to RB Leipzig, who have consistently finished in the top five.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

14. Getting a positive result away to Bayern would have been unlikely so at least only losing 1-0 you leave with your heads held high

15. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Another good month there

Monchenglad really struggling

Cracking efforts from GK this season

A LOT of games and points up for grabs this month - could be pivotal...............

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

November 2026

Results

Viktoria Köln 0 RB Leipzig 1

I made just one change for this game, bringing in Marcus Vinicius Nascimento dos Santos at right back for Damion Campbell. We suffered a blow early on when top scorer Marvin Lehner went off injured. Tidian M'Baye came on in his place, and performed really well, and was unlucky not to score. Both sides created chances in a fairly even game, but it was the visitors who broke the deadlock in the 76th minute, to take the lead. We couldn't find what would have been a deserved equaliser, and drop our first points at home this season.

Schalke 1 Viktoria Köln 1

I made 6 changes for the trip to the surprise unbeaten league leaders, which included a first appearance this season for the fan's Player of the Season for the past 3 seasons, Rami Jelassi. We switched to the 4132 formation. Our hosts started the game brightly, and took the lead after just 10 minutes. We adopted an attacking mentality from then on, and our efforts were rewarded 4 minutes before half time, when another recalled player, Jean-Claude Evina fired home a loose ball to give us a deserved equaliser. The second half was scrappy, with few chances for either side, and I felt that a draw was a fair and decent result.

St. Pauli 2 Viktoria Köln 2

We were unchanged for the trip to newly promoted St. Pauli, who were firmly rooted to the bottom of the table. We started the game well, and took the lead in the 14th minute when Pawel Bialek fed Rami Jelassi who fired a shot past Manuel Neuer to score his first goal of the season. 4 minutes later, the hosts equalised with their first chance of the game. In the 37th minute, Jelassi fed Jean-Claude Evina, who saw the run of Tidian M'Baye, and played a delightful ball into M'Baye's path which allowed him to head home his first Bundesliga goal to put us back in front. On the stroke of half time, Magno Bruno conceded a penalty, which St. Pauli converted the get back on level terms. We put our hosts under pressure in the second half, and were unlucky not to go back in front, but Neuer dealt well with what we created, so we have to settle for a point.

Viktoria Köln 0 FC Köln 3

I made 4 changes for this derby game, which included giving Victor Hernandez his Bundesliga debut in goal. We reverted to the 433 formation. Lorenzo De Marzo was shown a straight red card in the 11th minute for a two footed tackle. The visitors made their numerical advantage count 8 minutes later, when they took the lead direct from a free kick. We came under intense pressure, but Hernandez made a string of great saves to keep the score down. Eventually though, our rival's pressure paid off when Hernandez was shown a red card for a professional foul when he brought down the FC Köln attacker in the box. I'd used all of my substitutes, so left back Pawel Bialek went in goal. He could do nothing about the resulting penalty, or a chance the visitors had late on. A disappointing defeat.

Hertha Berlin 0 Viktoria Köln 2

I made 5 changes for the trip to mid table Hertha Berlin, and reverted to the 4132 formation. The game went well for us. The hosts were down to 10 men after just 13 minutes when one of their defenders received a second yellow card for fouling Tomas Rodriguez in the penalty area after we had won a free kick. Man of the Match, Leonardo Mustaccia made no mistake from the spot kick. In the 21st minute, Vitor Hugo Vieira used his excellent creativity to pick out a superb run from Jean-Claude Evina, who finished neatly to double our lead. From then on, we were in complete control, and denied our hosts a single effort at goal, to secure a win after failing to in our previous 5 games.

Viktoria Köln 1 Hamburg 0

Back to the 433 formation, with 3 changes to the starting line up against struggling Hamburg. After a very scrappy first half where neither side created very much, we started to take control of the game, and put the visitors under pressure. This paid off in the 72nd minute, when Jean-Claude Evina found Man of the Match, Marvin Förster's run into the box from the AMR position. Förster skipped past his man, and sent a vicious strike into the back of the net, which turned out to be the only goal of the game.

League Table

It was always going to be tough maintaining consistency, and I've felt the need to rest Alex Duran, Pape Mbaye, and Alexander Erdogan, in the hope that a break from first team action will help them both physically and mentally. Results have been a bit up and down in their absence, but despite this we go into December in 3rd place. I feel ready to bring those three players back now, though there's no rush, having won our last 2 games.

Player Focus

With Marvin Lehner out injured for a few weeks, it's meant that Jean-Claude Evina has a chance to show what he can do. His average rating has been nothing to shout about, but I'm pleased with him getting 2 goals and 2 assists. Last season he struggled to emulate his first season at the club, but he's got off to a good start since returning to the side. I think that he's been great value for money when you consider how cheaply I got him.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Next up is a trip to Dusseldorf, who have their own designs on a top four finish.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

21. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    Still going strong. Pity you dropped points at St.Pauli, though.
    Bit of a tale of two keepers, that game.

vCash
    I'm amazed you are still 3rd actually - 8 points from 18

Crazy league where everyone can beat each other

Glad you came back strong at the end - should give the lads confidence

Doing fantastically

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    I'm amazed you are still 3rd actually - 8 points from 18

Crazy league where everyone can beat each other

Glad you came back strong at the end - should give the lads confidence

Doing fantastically
    I think that it will be Bayern's title, and 2nd place feels like it's up for grabs. My target at the start of the season was 60 points, so hopefully we can get as close to that as possible. If Borussia Monchengladbach don't sort themselves out soon, I can see the job becoming available again.

26. This is a great season so far, I feel like Champions League is possible!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Bayern look like pulling away, but nobody else looks like going with them. This could be your chance to make the Champions League.
    Evina should be scoring more based on his attributes.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Bayern look like pulling away, but nobody else looks like going with them. This could be your chance to make the Champions League.
    Like a lot of players in this squad. He'll have a handful of good games, then lose form. I still think that some of these players are too young to show the consistency I need.

vCash

December 2026

Results

Düsseldorf 1 Viktoria Köln 0

Back to the 4132 formation for the trip to 7th placed Düsseldorf. We suffered a blow in the 15th minute, when right back, Damion Campbell saw a straight red card for a professional foul. I took off striker, Tidian M'Baye, and brought on Marcus Vinicius Nascimento dos Santos to play right back. We contained the hosts reasonably well, and deserved to go in level at half time. 6 minutes after the restart, we were down to 9 men when Leonardo Mustaccia received a second yellow card for a foul just outside our box. Magno Bruno saved the resulting free kick, but the ref was determined that the home side would win, so he ordered a retake, which they scored from. It was always going to be tough coming back from that, but to our credit, we didn't capitulate. Thanks referee.

Viktoria Köln 0 Wolfsburg 0

Back to 433 for this game against 5th placed Wolfsburg. This was a dire game in which we were unable to have a single effort at goal. The season ticket holders would have loved it! The visitors didn't create much either, and Magno Bruno in goal was efficient in what he did have to deal with, along with a very solid performance from my back four, who won 23 tackles between them.

Viktoria Köln 0 Nürnberg 1

I continued with the 433 formation against our struggling visitors. It was a fairly even game in terms of chances, but we didn't create enough, and fell behind a couple of minutes before half time. Nürnberg went down to 10 men in the 58th minute. They understandably did what they could to protect their lead, but we was unable to make our numerical advantage count. We were unfortunate to lose, but it was still a disappointing performance.

Frankfurt 0 Viktoria Köln 0

I made 9 changes, and reverted to the 4132 formation for this game against our mid table hosts. We denied them a single shot on target, with the returning Alex Duran an absolute rock at the back. We didn't create loads, but their keeper was Man of the Match.

League Table

A rough month. The goal scoring problems return. I put this largely down to inconsistency. There's a few players in their mid twenties who haven't performed particularly well, namely Lazar Samardzic, Alain Miyogo, and Tidian M'Baye, and maybe they'll never be good enough to play regularly for a side with ambitions to qualify for the Champions League.
    The rest of them seem to be good enough.....for a few games, then lose form. Players that spring to mind are Pape Mbaye, Vitor Hugo Vieira, Marvin Förster, Alexander Erdogan, and Jean-Claude Evina. All attacking midfielders and a striker, which explains the struggle to score goals. I feel confident that in time they will all develop into top performers, but it will be a while until I see the best of them. Not one player under the age of 25 from any team in the league has won the Bundesliga Player of the Month since we've been in this division.

Perhaps I somehow need to embrace the inconsistency, rather than get frustrated by it. Maybe I should give no player under the age of 23, more than 5 consecutive games, then rest them for a few games. Alternatively, I could give them 1 game played, the next game rested. I'm not sure tbh, got a few thoughts about this in my mind. Perhaps I should be less accepting of draws against mid table sides, and be a bit more ruthless when it comes to leaving players out. Plenty to think about.

Player Focus

With 2 clean sheets this month, it makes sense to single out a defender. I suppose the form of my captain, Afram Hanna illustrates my previous point about consistency. My most senior outfield player has a similar tackles per game ratio to last season, but a higher average rating. Looking at his attributes, I'm sure you'll agree, that he's by no means world class. He has however, improved his performance season on season since we've been in the Bundesliga. This month he's won 20 tackles across the 4 games. The two games that he's missed this season have both been defeats. Alex Duran has a slightly better tackles per game ratio. That went up considerably after our last game, which he performed really well in, and seemed to benefit from several weeks rest.

Forthcoming Fixtures

A tough trip to 2nd placed Dortmund awaits us at the end of January.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    5 blanks in the last 7 is unraveling all the good work
    Still in the euro hunt, but you do need to change the current form.

vCash
    Well - this is a horrific run you are on

The age old problem of GOALS comes back to haunt you

Saying that though - it does look like a division (not sure historically) where nobody scores at will?

Need to turn this truck around otherwise Euro dream could turn into a nightmare..........

Board happy I assume? (but maybe worried about recent results)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Strangely in my latest save I am in 2028/29 and Bayern haven't won a title since the real life 2018/19 title. Dortmund 7 RB Leipzig 1 and Monchengladbach 1 and nit even a second place.

- - - Updated - - -

I should say I am really enjoying this story

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819