Perry
    Barry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZanSnake View Post
    Never Helder
    Rocha World
    Perry
    Barry
    How can I call the lad that I'm pinning all my hopes for the future on, the lad who will hopefully become a hero and legend. How can I call him....Barry?

Barry Chuckle
    Barry Manilow
    Barry Gibb

Barry it is 😀😀😀

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    How can I call the lad that I'm pinning all my hopes for the future on, the lad who will hopefully become a hero and legend. How can I call him....Barry?

Barry Chuckle
    Barry Manilow
    Barry Gibb

Barry it is 😀😀😀
    Forgot the most important

Barry Scott

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZanSnake View Post
    Forgot the most important

Barry Scott
    How could I forget him!

"BANG and the dirt is gone"

vCash

February 2028

Results

(Bundesliga)

Frankfurt 1 Viktoria Köln 1

We were unchanged for the trip to mid table Frankfurt. The hosts started the game well, and took the lead in the 20th minute with a header that Victor Hernandez could have dealt with more efficiently.

We started the second half strongly, and early on Belmin Music fed Kasidech Samakorn on the right, who hit a cross field pass to Khalifa Shrahili. He ran with the ball, then put a low cross in for Leonardo Mustaccia to stab in a 56th minute equaliser.

The hosts put us under a fair bit of pressure for the remainder of the game, but Hernandez made a couple of good saves, and we were able to hold on for a barely deserved point.

(Bundesliga)

Viktoria Köln 0 FC Bayern 2

I made just one change for the visit of the champions, bringing in Luiz Carlos dos Santos da Silva in for the suspended Belmin Music. Bayern used the defensive-men behind the ball tactics that a lot of opponents have used at the Sportpark Höhenberg this season.

This was a scrappy game, with just a few chances for both sides, but we went behind in the 26th minute, then conceded a second goal in the 48th minute in another sloppy performance from a defensive point of view. Victor Hernandez was particularly culpable, so I think that it's time to bring back Xaysavath Souvanhansok, who will hopefully be refreshed after being left out for a few games.

(Europa League Round of 16, 1st Leg)

Viktoria Köln 1 Real Sociedad 0

I made 4 changes for the visit of a Real Sociedad side starting the game in 3rd place in La Liga. I dropped Victor Hernandez and Marvin Förster, and Rami Jelassi and Yhoan Itoua were ineligible. I brought back Xaysavath Souvanhansok, Pape Mbaye, Antonio Cvitanovic, and Marvin Lehner.

The visitors deployed defensive tactics, looking to catch us on the break. We had a normal mentality though, so we were able to contain their threat. We started the game brightly, and won a free kick when Khalifa Shrahili was fouled. Pape Mbaye's excellently delivered ball found Jean-Claude Evina, who headed us into a 16th minute lead.

Real Sociedad were a bit more expansive in the second half, and the game was much closer. There was an equal chance of us doubling our lead, as there was of the Spaniards getting an equaliser. Man of the Match Alex Duran was an absolute rock at the back, winning an incredible 11 tackles. In the end, the 1-0 win is a fair result, and if we defend well in the second leg, we have a great chance of progressing.

(Bundesliga)

Hamburg 1 Viktoria Köln 0

I made 4 changes for the trip to struggling Hamburg. Alex Duran was suspended, so I gave his compatriot Mario Aguza his Bundesliga debut. Pape Mbaye was injured, so I brought in Alexander Erdogan, and Antonio Cvitanovic and Kasidech Samakorn were knackered, so I brought in Vierundo and Michal Sobolewski.

We were the better side in the first half, but went in level due mostly to poor finishing on our part. The hosts started the second half brightly, and took the lead in the 64th minute. We were disappointing in the second half. The defeat is harsh, but we paid the price for sloppy finishing in the first half.

(Europa League Round of 16, 2nd Leg)

Real Sociedad 1 Viktoria Köln 0 (1-1 on aggregate) (Viktoria Köln win 4-2 on penalties)

I made 5 changes for this game, and went with the 433 formation. The hosts started reasonably well, forcing some good saves from Xaysavath Souvanhansok. After that we limited their opportunities, but they eventually went ahead, and level on aggregate just before half time.

We kept things tight throughout the second half and extra time. I didn't trust us to get the away goal, and was concerned that a more attacking approach would leave us exposed. I didn't set out to play for penalties, but that was kind of how the game panned out.

We missed the first penalty, but scored the next three, whilst Souvanhansok proved to be the hero by pulling off two saves. It was left to Leonardo Mustaccia to take our final penalty, and he made no mistake.

We scraped through, and meet Wolves in the quarter finals.

(Bundesliga)

Wolfsburg 0 Viktoria Köln 1

This game against 2nd placed Wolfsburg came just 3 days after 120 minutes of Europa League action. As a result, I had to make 8 changes, with only Xaysavath Souvanhansok, Alex Duran, and Afram Hanna keeping their places. The condition of the rest of them was below 96%

We lined up with the Attacking 352 formation, and started the game well. Man of the Match Yhoan Itoua was a constant menace, and we were unfortunate not to take the lead in the 15th minute, when his shot struck the post.

Eventually though, our luck changed when Szymon Maszota received the ball from Khalifa Shrahili, then sent the ball towards Jean-Claude Evina in the area, who was fouled to win a penalty. Vitor Hugo Vieira made no mistake from the spot, to give us a 31st minute lead, and his first goal of the season.

This was probably our best defensive performance this season. We contained this top side superbly, with the back three of Music, Duran, and Hanna winning 18 tackles between them to keep Wolfsburg at bay. An excellent win.

League Table

A tough month having played the top 2. I didn't expect much more than 4 points. The surprise win at Wolfsburg makes up for the disappointing defeat at Hamburg. 9th place isn't great, but no-one apart from Bayern is showing consistency, so there's still a chance of finishing in the top four.

Scraping past Real Sociedad in the Europa League was a touch. Next up is Wolves who are currently in 4th place in the Premier League.

Player Focus

Jean-Claude has had to wait for his chances this season, but he's done well since returning to the side, scoring the important goal at home to Real Sociedad, and winning the penalty at Wolfsburg.

He's struggled to replicate his good first season at the club, so hopefully this will be the start of a good run of form.

Forthcoming Fixtures

With 3 home games against sides in the bottom half of the table, I hope that the Europa League Quarter Finals doesn't prove to be too much of a distraction.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    How can you continue to struggle domestically and shine in Europe?

At this rate you will win the Europa League but end up being relegated from the Bundesliga!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Was hoping for 6 points here

Thankfully that win over Wolfsburg gives something to shout about but starting to get cut adrift from EUropean places

Squeaked by in Europe - might have taken something out of the guys physically and mentally

Same old story in lack of goals...............

But hey - first season with Europe and still doing fantastic overall

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Wolves will be a tough ask, away goals may be crucial. First leg away helps in that I guess at least you know what you need to do at home.

Ten points in the Bundesliga this month and you'll be back in the mix for European places.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    How can you continue to struggle domestically and shine in Europe?

At this rate you will win the Europa League but end up being relegated from the Bundesliga!
    I think we'll be safe from relegation, but I get your point.

This isn't the first save I've done where a squad that's had a run in Europe for the first time, under performs domestically. Not sure why. Could be something to do with certain players having a better hidden attribute for Important Matches than Consistency.

vCash

March 2028

Results

(Bundesliga)

Viktoria Köln 2 Hoffenheim 0

We were unchanged for the visit of struggling Hoffenheim. They used the defensive-men behind the ball tactics that a lot of teams have used against us this season. We used the Attacking 352 formation with a normal mentality.

Inevitability the first twenty minutes or so were quite cagey, but Hoffenheim then adopted a less defensive approach, so I responded by switching to an attacking mentality. We started to get on top from this point, but poor finishing meant that we both went in goalless at half time.

We carried on where we left off in the second half, and our reward came when Vitor Hugo Vieira sent the ball into the area towards Yhoan Itoua, whose low shot put us into a 52nd minute lead. Ten minutes later, Szymon Maszota received a loose ball, and put a low cross into the box for Man of the Match Itoua to fire the ball home to double our lead.

Both teams had chances after that, but the 2-0 win was a fair reflection of how we were the better side for most of the game. A solid win.

(Europa League Quarter Final, 1st Leg)

Wolves 0 Viktoria Köln 1

Vitor Hugo Vieira, Rami Jelassi, and Yhoan Itoua were ineligible for this game against the 4th placed Premier League side, so I brought back Pape Mbaye, Alexander Erdogan, and Marvin Lehner, and continued with the Attacking 352 formation.

We dominated the game from start to finish, having 8 shots at goal to their 2, and having 55% possession. With 10 minutes to go, I felt that we were running out of steam, so I took off Szymon Maszota, and brought on Leonardo Mustaccia. This paid off when Man of the Match Marvin Lehner found Alexander Erdogan's run into the area, the Wolves defender was able to thwart Erdogan, but Mustaccia took control of the loose ball, brought it into the box, and blasted it into the top corner, for his 5th goal of the season, and a well deserved injury time winner, in what was possibly one of the best team performances we've ever put in at this club.

(Bundesliga)

Viktoria Köln 0 Hertha Berlin 1

I made 4 changes for the visit of mid table Hertha Berlin. I left out Szymon Maszota and Jean-Claude Evina, and brought in Leonardo Mustaccia and Tidian M'Baye after the impact they made as subs in the previous game. Michal Sobolewski and Pape Mbaye were knackered, so I brought back Kasidech Samakorn and Vitor Hugo Vieira.

We came up against the usual defensive-men behind the ball tactics, which the visitors eased up on after 20 minutes, so like in the previous home game, we took on a more attacking approach.

However, we struggled to get into this game, and Hertha Berlin took the lead in the 39th minute with their first effort at goal. I hoped that this would jolt us into life, but it failed to. We were unlucky to lose this scrappy game, but we were poor going forward, and I do continue to wonder if certain members of this squad are finding Europe too much of a distraction.

(Europa League Quarter Finals, 2nd Leg)

Viktoria Köln 0 Wolves 0 (Viktoria Köln win 1-0 on aggregate)

I made 7 changes for this game, mostly due to tiredness, inegilibity, or players being dropped after the Hertha Berlin defeat. We lined up with the 451 formation, with a normal mentality.

We contained Wolves superbly in the first half. It must have been dire to watch, as neither team had a single effort at goal. The visitors got more into the game in the second half, but apart from them hitting the woodwork, Xaysavath Souvanhansok dealt reliably with anything they had to offer. Man of the Match Alex Duran won 10 tackles (5 key), and Leonardo Mustaccia playing in front of the back four, won 6 tackles (3 key).

Wolves will feel unlucky that they didn't force extra time, but we defended superbly throughout the two legs, and now face Napoli in the Semi Finals. They are currently in 2nd place in Serie A, and have been champions for the past three seasons. The other Semi Final is between fellow German sides Dortmund and Wolfsburg.

(Bundesliga)

Viktoria Köln 2 VFB Stuttgart 0

I made 4 changes for this game against struggling Stuttgart, due to player's condition being below 96%. The visitors used normal-men behind the ball tactics, which they relaxed after 20 minutes, so we went with an attacking mentality at that point.

The first half was fairly even, but we suffered what I thought would be a blow, when our captain Afram Hanna received a straight red card for a professional foul in the 38th minute. I immediately took Jean-Claude Evina off, brought on Mario Aguza, and our shape became 351 Attacking, and back to a normal mentality.

We played well in the second half, and certainly didn't look like a side playing with 10 men. Our performance was rewarded when Yhoan Itoua blasted in a loose ball from a corner, to give us a 75th minute lead. We doubled our lead six minutes later, when Man of the Match Mario Aguza headed a Pape Mbaye free kick into the path of Michal Sobolewski, whose hopeful shot gave him his first goal of the season. A good win under the circumstances.

League Table

7th is an improvement on last month. I was disappointed with the Hertha Berlin defeat. Is it a coincidence that the game was between the Wolves games, or a factor? We're probably going to need to win at least 6 of our 8 remaining games if were going to have any chance of crashing into the top four. A more pressing issue will be whether we can remain in the top half.

We did well to get past Wolves, and the win at Molineux should make me feel confident about the ability of my squad and the tactics I use.

Player Focus

Yhoan had an encouraging start to his time at the club, but was unable to build on it the following season, and fell quite far down the pecking order last season. There's been more game time this season, due to a return to twin striker tactics, along with Tidian M'Baye's loss of form, and Connor Milne's suspension. He's taken his chance well, and hopefully this won't be a false dawn in his career.

Forthcoming Fixtures

A busy April coming up, which starts with a trip to struggling Mainz, and includes the Europa League Semi Final against Napoli.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Superb month - did so well to get through v Wolves who seems to spend like no tomorrow on my save

Right back in European places mix in league as well!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great win against Wolves, how are Napoli doing in Serie A?

Slight shame re the Hertha result but not a disaster. I thought 7 points out of those three games was what you should have been looking for.

Who is in the latter stages of the German Cup? Will the Europa league spaces go down to 7th?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Renitor View Post
    Great win against Wolves, how are Napoli doing in Serie A?

Slight shame re the Hertha result but not a disaster. I thought 7 points out of those three games was what you should have been looking for.

Who is in the latter stages of the German Cup? Will the Europa league spaces go down to 7th?
    Napoli have been Serie A champions for the past three seasons, and are currently in 2nd place.

The German Cup Final is between the top two, Bayern and Wolfsburg, so 7th will be good enough for automatic Europa League qualification, and 8th and 9th means qualifiers.

vCash
    Tough game v Napoli but you must be enjoying the European run this season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James_y View Post
    Tough game v Napoli but you must be enjoying the European run this season
    Yeah, it's been a nice distraction, plus some of the results give me encouragement about what this squad could be capable of.

vCash

April 2028

Results

(Bundesliga)

Mainz 0 Viktoria Köln 5

I made 1 change for the trip to struggling Mainz, Mario Aguza coming in for the suspended Afram Hanna, with Leonardo Mustaccia taking the captain's armband. We continued with the Attacking 352 formation.

We completely dominated this game. 55% possession, and 16 efforts (12 on target) to their one. (5 efforts in the first half, and 11 efforts in the second half)

Rami Jelassi got us underway in the 31st minute, when he headed in Yhoan Itoua's cross, following a good run, for his first goal of the season. We doubled our lead 4 minutes later, when Jean-Claude Evina was challenged in the box, the ref turned down the penalty appeal, but Itoua was on hand to hit the ball high and hard towards the goal, to give their keeper no chance.

2 minutes before half time, Jelassi crossed to Alexander Erdogan, the keeper saved the header, but Man of the Match Itoua was first to the rebound, and blasted the ball towards the top corner to give us a 3-0 lead at the interval.

We carried on where we left off in the second half when a throw in was taken by Pape Mbaye, who received the ball back from Michal Sobolewski, then put in a first time cross from the right to Evina, who scored with a lovely header to put us 4-0 up in the 48th minute.

We completed the scoring in the 71st minute when Mbaye found Erdogan on the left, who put in a low cross to the far post. Sobolewski gathered up the loose ball, played a one two with Jelassi, then crossed to substitute Naif Al-Sulaiheem, who headed in his first goal of the season to make it 5-0.

A superb win, and a special mention for Leonardo Mustaccia who played his part well, winning 8 tackles.

(Europa League Semi Final, 1st Leg)

Napoli 1 Viktoria Köln 0

I made three changes for this game. Xaysavath Souvanhansok was on international duty, so I gave Magno Bruno his first game of the season, and Rami Jelassi and Yhoan Itoua were ineligible, so I brought back Marvin Förster and Tidian M'Baye.

We put in a good performance in the first half. Both teams had a couple of chances, but both keepers made good saves. We started the second half well, and again, both keepers made good saves.

As the game wore on, Napoli got into it a bit more, then eventually Leonardo Mustaccia gave away a penalty, which Moise Kean converted to give them a 1-0 lead.

They just about deserved the win, but we've given ourselves a chance in the second leg. I thought we'd miss Xaysavath Souvanhansok, but the biggest compliment I can pay Magno Bruno is that we didn't miss him, and I'll stick with the Italian for our next game.

(Bundesliga)

Viktoria Köln 0 RB Leipzig 0

I made 2 changes for the visit of mid table RB Leipzig, with Rami Jelassi and Yhoan Itoua returning to the side in place of Marvin Förster and Tidian M'Baye.

The visitors priority was to keep a clean sheet. We found it difficult to break them down, and they offered little in terms of an attacking threat. A draw was a fair result in a scrappy game.

(Bundesliga)

Nürnberg 1 Viktoria Köln 0

Our Champions League hope's were dealt a blow at mid table Nürnberg. I made 4 changes for this game, and went with the 4132 formation. This was an even game in terms of possession and chances. In the second half, with the game in the balance, Magno Bruno received a red card for a professional foul in our penalty area. The hosts scored from the resulting spot kick, and we were unable to find an equaliser with our numerical disadvantage.

(Europa League Semi Final, 2nd Leg)

Viktoria Köln 0 Napoli 1 (Napoli win 2-0 on aggregate)

I made 8 changes, and returned to the flat 352 formation for this game. Napoli used the usual tactics that opponents have used at the Sportpark Höhenberg.

The Italians were very solid throughout the game, and limited our chances. They got the crucial away goal in the 61st minute, meaning that we had around half an hour to score three goals without reply against one of the meanest defences in Europe. Napoli have only conceded 14 goals in 31 Serie A games this season. I made a triple substitution shortly after we conceded, but it made no difference.

We were beaten by the better side.

(Bundesliga)

Viktoria Köln 1 Borussia Monchengladbach 2

I made 7 changes for this game (mostly due to condition being below 96%) against 5th placed Borussia Monchengladbach, and lined up in the 451 formation.

In terms of possession (55%) and efforts at goal (5 to their 2) we were the better side. However, we went in 0-2 down at half time, with Xaysavath Souvanhansok culpable for both goals.

We seemed to have run out of steam in the second half, so I made an early substitution, and switched to 4132, then a further double substitution later in the half.

This had the desired effect when one of the subs, Marvin Förster, found another sub, Luis Gomez, whose shot was parried into the path of Yhoan Itoua, who scored to reduce the deficit in the 81st minute.

We pushed hard for the equaliser, with Man of the Match Jose Vitor Belo da Silva rampaging forward from left back, but the visitor's keeper made a couple of great saves to deny us.

A frustrating defeat in a game that we had 10 efforts at goal (6 on target) to their 3. It also means that we're 10 points adrift of the top five, with four games to go.

(Bundesliga)

Augsburg 3 Viktoria Köln 0

I made 6 changes for this game against 7th placed Augsburg, and returned to the 352 Attacking formation.

We fell behind as early as the 3rd minute, and things went downhill from there. Alexander Erdogan received a second yellow card in the 22nd minute, then 7 minutes later, our hosts made their numerical advantage count by doubling their lead.

The final goal came in the 56th minute, but that wasn't the end of the drama. I made a triple substitution in the 64th minute, in a futile attempt to salvage something from the game, but 5 minutes later, one of the subs, Naif Al-Sulaiheem went off injured, leaving us with 9 men. Then in injury time, one of the other subs, Kasidech Samakorn was sent off for a second bookable offence.

A deflating defeat.

League Table

I felt so optimistic at the start of the month, after we spanked Mainz 5-0. It's all gone downhill since then though, and we've slipped to 9th. We need to pick ourselves up for these final three games, in the hope that we can get an automatic Europa League place by finishing in the top seven, but with our form the way it is, I'd settle for 9th, and take our chances in the qualifying rounds.

I can't have any complaints about going out of the Europa League at this stage. We've done well to reach the Semi Finals, and I fancy Napoli to go on and win it.

Player Focus

Mario has been excellent since he came into the side, after Afram Hanna got suspended. He's kept his place, and has performed brilliantly. Long may this continue.

Forthcoming Fixtures

None of these games look particularly easy, but we'll give it our best shot, and will hopefully finish the season on a high.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

vCash
    Ugh - killer month

Europa - What a ride it's been! Gave it a good go but Napoli class side. Well done on getting to S/F!

League - awful month. CL hopes (I never thought you had a chance at start of season) are gone

But Europa spot still up for grabs

And you play 3 teams above you so essentially some "six pointers" there

I think squad rotation due to Europa has been a big factor this year and one you can learn from

Goals is still the issue...................

Aguza is awesome - MUST stay in the side!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Damn painful times, no final and now struggling for a European place next season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    Ouch!

Why do you make so many changes? Because of the players' fitness?
    Well apart from the ones that are forced upon me due to injury, suspension, or ineligibilty, there is a variety of reasons why I make changes.

If a player's condition is below 96%, I'll most likely leave him out. I sometimes use different formations at home, to the ones I use away, so in that case full backs or wingers might be changed. Any poor form could result in a change being made.

In an ideal world, I'd have one formation that works well home and away, and a settled side that consistently performs well, but that hasn't quite worked out so far in this save!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Well apart from the ones that are forced upon me due to injury, suspension, or ineligibilty, there is a variety of reasons why I make changes.

If a player's condition is below 96%, I'll most likely leave him out. I sometimes use different formations at home, to the ones I use away, so in that case full backs or wingers might be changed. Any poor form could result in a change being made.

In an ideal world, I'd have one formation that works well home and away, and a settled side that consistently performs well, but that hasn't quite worked out so far in this save!
    Makes sense. I always like to stick to one formation and one lineup with the least number of changes. It's just not always possible as you say.

vCash

May 2028

Results

(Bundesliga)

Viktoria Köln 1 Leverkusen 2

A record crowd of 7500 saw us make 2 changes for the visit of mid table Leverkusen. Khalifa Shrahili came in for the suspended Alexander Erdogan, and Vierundo came in for the injured Rami Jelassi. We lined up with the flat 352 formation.

We started the game on fire, forcing the visitor's keeper into a string of fine saves in the opening 15 minutes. Shrahili sent a ball into the area for Jean-Claude Evina, who was barged in the back, which won us a penalty. Man of the Match Leonardo Mustaccia made no mistake from the spot, to give us a well deserved lead.

At half time, the 1-0 lead didn't do us justice. We'd had 9 efforts at goal to their 3, and the crossbar had prevented Vierundo from doubling our lead.

We carried on where we'd left off in the second half, and once again hit the bar through Pape Mbaye in the 54th minute. We seemed to tire from that point, and Leverkusen turned the game on it's head with a 61st minute equaliser, then went in front 5 minutes later.

I made substitutions following this double blow, but we couldn't find a way back, and suffer a harsh defeat.

(Bundesliga)

Schalke 0 Viktoria Köln 1

I made 4 changes for the trip to 7th placed Schalke. I dropped Afram Hanna, Mario Aguza, Michal Sobolewski, and Khalifa Shrahili, and brought in Belmin Music, Luiz Carlos dos Santos da Silva, Luis Gomez, and debutant Kevin Sirch. We lined up in the Attacking 352 formation.

In the first half, we contained our hosts superbly, and a couple of minutes before half time, Sirch received a loose ball, and hit it long to Yhoan Itoua who ran to the byline, then floated in a ball to the near post to Man of the Match Jean-Claude Evina, who headed us into the lead.

The second half was a bit more even, but we defended well, and denied Schalke a single effort on target throughout the game. A hard fought victory.

(Bundesliga)

Viktoria Köln 0 Dortmund 1

We were unchanged for the visit of Dortmund, who started the game in 3rd place. I switched to the flat 352 formation.

This was a fairly even game in terms of possession and chances, but was ultimately decided by refereeing decisions. We had two good penalty shouts turned down, and the visitors were awarded a dodgy penalty in the 52nd minute, which they made no mistake with.

League Table

A very disappointing 12th place finish. With only 5 points separating the 7 teams below the top 6, we were a lot closer to qualifying for Europe than our final position suggests, but things just haven't been good enough.

Conclusion

I've been saying for a while that this young squad is inconsistent, and will improve over time. Another theory is that the Europa League run has affected our form. This may be true up to a point, and perhaps has prevented us from finishing higher, but what can't be ignored is the disparity between our home form and our away form.

Our away form is decent. The 23 points we picked up on our travels is the 5th highest in the division. The 17 goals we scored is only 3 lower than the 20 that 4th placed Düsseldorf scored. The 16 goals that we conceded is the second best in the division. This was achieved playing a variety of formations. 433, 352 Attacking, and the flat 352. There was no significant difference in terms of average points gained in each formation. Some were slightly better than others.

Our home form is poor. The 25 points we won is the joint 4th lowest in the division. Only the 3 teams that got relegated picked up less points at home. The 17 goals we scored is the joint second lowest in the division. The 15 goals we conceded is only the 8th best in the division. We used the flat or Attacking 352 formations. Again, there was no significant difference in terms of average points gained in the two formations.

When I filter the table by home form, then away form, there's no significant difference in terms of position for each club. For example 4th place Düsseldorf have the 4th best home form, and 4th best away form. Champions Wolfsburg have the second best home form, and best away form.

My conclusion is that we've under achieved at home by around 12 points, and my failure to find a solution to the perennial problem that is our home form has cost us a top 5 finish.

There have been good results at home. Wolfsburg had the best away form, but we beat them 2-1. We also beat Juventus and Real Sociedad in the Europa League, so it's not all bad, but the challenge that awaits me is to nail this home form, and I need to think about how to go about this.

Key Players

The usual suspects. With our defensive record being decent, you won't be surprised to see that the players I've selected are the ones at the defensive part of the pitch.

My next update will be on the eve of the new season, where I'll let you know the outcome of the DFB Pokal Final, the Europa League Final, Fan's Player of the Season, our financial performance, any transfer news, and what strategy I intend to use at home next season.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Balls - that Leverkusen comeback was a killer

League finish is "ok" for me - I think you were getting above your station for CL

Some may say you'd want a better rating from DM which is known as a key position in CM

6 MOM from Duran

For me this is a learning season - first season where you had a big European run and you should be better for it (how to manage/rotate etc) next year

Top 8 (Euro qual) is for sure needed next year otherwise I think you are going backwards

Board pleased I assume?

How's the German rep?

World Rep should have gone up given the Europa run?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great fun with the European run, domestic season was a disappointment, I'd say can only be better next year!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post: