Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: Hennes Weisweiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Balls - that Leverkusen comeback was a killer

League finish is "ok" for me - I think you were getting above your station for CL

Some may say you'd want a better rating from DM which is known as a key position in CM

6 MOM from Duran

For me this is a learning season - first season where you had a big European run and you should be better for it (how to manage/rotate etc) next year

Top 8 (Euro qual) is for sure needed next year otherwise I think you are going backwards

Board pleased I assume?

How's the German rep?

World Rep should have gone up given the Europa run?
    I see what you mean about Mustaccia, but I tend to focus on his tackles per game ratio.

I think that the Europa League run was a factor in our slump domestically, but I think the main problem is using the direct passing approach at home. Either it doesn't offer enough guile to be effective against teams that play with 'men behind the ball' (which may explain why we've been able to beat some of the better teams, as they're more likely to be more attacking against us, enabling us to exploit the space they leave behind)

Alternatively, I may also be setting my team and player instructions up in a way that fails to get the best out of direct passing. It's something I'm going to play around with pre season.

The board have gone from delighted to very pleased, despite expecting us to steer clear of relegation last season, which we did comfortably.

I'm ranked 15th (Good) in Germany, and I've gone up 100 and something places to 540th (Average) in the world.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

Brief Update

I thought I'd do a brief update before the pre season friendlies get underway.

Europa League Final

I thought Napoli might win this tournament, but our German rivals take it on penalties.

DFB Pokal Final

Wolfsburg were denied a double by Bundesliga runners up FC Bayern.

Fan's Player of the Season

So Marvin Lehner takes this award for the second year running. Personally, I think Alex Duran deserves it, but the fans tend to go for a more attacking player. I think Pape Mbaye was more consistent. Lehner's form mirrored Viktoria Kln's - underwhelming domestically, but pretty good in Europe.

Finances

We made just 5.2M profit last season, but had a net spend of 20.6M on transfers. The board took something like 21M in dividends. We have a healthy bank balance or around 120M, with 76M available for transfers.

I'll give details in the next update of transfer news, how our wage bill compares to the rest of the league, and brief details of how the pre season friendlies have gone, with regards to how I intend to experiment with different team and player instructions in an attempt to get the best out of our direct passing style

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    So much cash in bank!

Fans love a flair player!

Club being run very well

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

The 'Direct' Experiment

The new season kicks off in a few days time. I mentioned previously that I intended to use our pre season friendlies to find a way of getting the best out of the direct passing style which Hennes Weisweiler used.

In the many years that I've played this game, I've had a fair amount of success using short or mixed passing. My most recent save was The Alphabet Game, where I only used the pre loaded formations. In that save I used an attacking mentality at home, and a normal mentality away, mixed passing, hard tackling, with yes for pressing and offside trap. Every outfield player would be set to zonal marking.

After 20 seasons I'd won 13 titles, which included winning the Bundesliga and Europa League with Dortmund playing the 352 formations, and the treble with Milan, playing a variety of formations, depending on who was available, but we won the Champions League Final using the 4132 formation, so you can see that I'm competent at this game.

I fancied a new challenge, and with the general consensus on this forum that short and mixed passing is the only way to succeed when not using wib wob tactics, I decided to see if I could disprove this in this save.

It's gone well up to a point. Viktoria Kln winning two promotions and qualifying for Europe is good, along with reaching the semi finals of the Europa League. However, in the nine seasons that this save has been running, scoring goals has been difficult, and home form has been comparatively poor. I put this down to various factors, one of which is direct passing.

It's possible that I'm not setting the team up in a way that compliments this approach, which is why I've decided to experiment, and I'd like feedback from you tactical geniuses. 🙂

We played four home friendlies against very good opposition. La Liga champions Valencia, Champions League winners Barcelona, Premiership runners up Liverpool, and Man. City, who finished 6th last season. All four games were low scoring draws. Two 0-0 draws, and two 1-1 draws. I made 9 substitutions at half time in all four games. The games were very tight, with not many chances. I also used 4 different formations. 4132, 433, 442 Attacking, and 352 Attacking.

Team Instructions

I went normal mentality, obviously direct passing, and normal tackling. I had no pressing, offside trap, or men behind the ball, but yes to counter attacking.

Player Instructions

I let the defenders and central midfielders do hard tackling and pressing. I had no-one running with the ball, one of the strikers held up the ball, and had no one on long shots, try through balls or crossing. Every outfield player marked zonally.

My reasoning behind these instructions was that a normal mentality means a not too high defensive line. With only defenders and central midfielders on pressing and tackling it means we're sucking the opposition in, then winning the ball not as high up the pitch as the attacking mentality with everyone pressing. With the direct passing combined with counter attacking, I hoped the strikers would quickly receive the ball and exploit the space in behind the opposition defence.

Findings

Despite struggling to create chances, we tended to have over 50% possession. I also saw that the strikers saw a lot more of the ball than the tactics I've used previously, though they couldn't convert this into creating chances and having shots.

It's hard to make a judgement about the results with them being friendlies. Both ourselves and our opponents made multiple substitutions, and they were all on easy tackling. The four draws weren't bad results given the quality of the opposition, but I'm not convinced that this is the way to go in our season opener at home to Frankfurt, who finished mid table last season.

I'll be interested to hear your theories on how to get the best out of direct passing, especially in terms of formation, team instructions, and player instructions, along with reasoning behind it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Some good info there!

I'm pretty rubbish (and not too interested to be honest) in tactics and honing them etc in CM0102 so cannot give much advice sorry!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    To be honest, I believe tactics are overrated. When a team is is on a winning run any tactic will do, when they're in a dip no tactic will help. I do believe, though, that sticking with your tactic is effective in the long run. Changing tactics regularly does not seem to help.

I do believe in players ratings and having them play in their favourite positions. At one point, with Blackburn Rovers, I tweaked a tactic so that I could have three DMC's in my first XI, simply because I had several world class DMC's.

Also, if any of your players happen to have high intrinsic values for one or more attributes they will over-perform because the value as used by the match engine will be higher than the in-game stat shows (it could even be higher than 20!)

The bottom line for me is, I stick to the same formation (at the very least for half a season) and find out which players over-perform and make sure to use them. In my latest story Jordy Wehrmann looked average but his heading (as used by the match engine) was well over 20 so he excelled as DMC with instructions to move forwards and backwards with set pieces.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324