Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: Hennes Weisweiler

vCash
    Catching up again.
    Hrustanovic needs to start every game. No pussyfooting about. The Bosnia/Luxembourg is a give away that he is a regen of Miralem Pjanic.
    Going well in Europe, but need to start getting more consistent in the Bundesliga. Dusseldorf are already away, so looks like the fight is for the cup and top 4.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Renitor View Post
    Nice month.

Pushing forward on all three fronts.

Good cup run, hopefully you can go on win one (or both) and only 4 points off the champions league spots.

Fourth best defensive record is great, ninth best in terms of goals scored which I think has always been an issue, are you creating chances and just not putting them away or struggling to create chances?

I'd say you are in a pretty strong position.
    I think that we're creating more chances in recent seasons. In our 6 games in November, we came up against the opposition keeper getting Man of the Match in 2 of those games, and Dortmund's keeper also did well against us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Catching up again.
    Hrustanovic needs to start every game. No pussyfooting about. The Bosnia/Luxembourg is a give away that he is a regen of Miralem Pjanic.
    Going well in Europe, but need to start getting more consistent in the Bundesliga. Dusseldorf are already away, so looks like the fight is for the cup and top 4.
    Düsseldorf have been incredible.

I think you're right about Pjanic. I've just checked on Wikipedia, and he played for Luxembourg U-21s. I've never managed him before, but I'm well aware of him being one of the most creative players in the world in real life.

This is great news. Hopefully he'll create chances and score goals, and just be generally brilliant. I feel like I need to do something special at Viktoria Köln to eventually get the Borussia Mönchengladbach job, so having a player like this is excellent.

vCash
    What's going on at Dussel?!

Brilliant result in Europa and should get through that

Fine win over Schalke in cup as well!

7/12 is fine in league - seems Europa place form to me so may need to squeak a few more points to make top 4 but its VERY close there!

I see you mentioned the CM0102 LEGEND that is MARK KERR - is that him - and if so, when did you sign him and have you got a screenshot please?!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    What's going on at Dussel?!

Brilliant result in Europa and should get through that

Fine win over Schalke in cup as well!

7/12 is fine in league - seems Europa place form to me so may need to squeak a few more points to make top 4 but its VERY close there!

I see you mentioned the CM0102 LEGEND that is MARK KERR - is that him - and if so, when did you sign him and have you got a screenshot please?!
    Düsseldorf have been unreal. I think they have Modric's regen amongst their ranks.

I'm afraid it's not THE Mark Kerr. My one is a Northern Irish left back, who is currently second choice, but hasn't developed in the way that I hoped, so he'll probably be transfer listed in the near future.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

December 2029

Results

(Bundesliga)

Viktoria Köln 3 Leverkusen 1

I made one change for this game against struggling Leverkusen. Marvin Lehner was knackered, so I brought in Maurizio Milani for his first Bundesliga start of this season.

We were dominating the first half, but just couldn't find a goal. Low and behold, Leverkusen score with their first chance of the game, to take a 32nd minute lead. Once again, James Streete will have been disappointed that he didn't deal with it better.

I wondered if it was going to be one of those games, but a big slice of fortune came our way in the 53rd minute. Tarik Hrustanovic played a one two with Alex Duran, then fed Gilmar Cardoso dos Santos. The young Brazilian sent the ball towards Khalifa Shrahili, but got too much purchase on it, and the ball flew into the back of the net to give us a bizarre but deserved equaliser.

Four minutes later we'd turned the game on its head, when Milani got on the end of a loose ball in the box, to fire us in front.

We kept at Leverkusen, and when Shrahili won a free kick just outside the box, Man of the Match Cardoso dos Santos struck a perfectly executed dead ball shot, to double our lead in the 73rd minute, and complete the scoring.

(Europa League Round of 32, 2nd Leg)

Viktoria Köln 1 Galatasaray 0 (4-1 on aggregate)

Khalifa Shrahili was ineligible for this game, so I recalled Alexander Erdogan to the starting line up. We dominated the first half, and after good build up play between Antonio Cvitanovic, Maurizio Milani, and Tarik Hrustanovic, the ball came wide left to Erdogan, who sent a cross into the far post. Jannick Thiel got above the visitor's keeper, and headed it down to provide Milani with a simple finish.

From then on, their keeper made a string of saves to keep the score down, and earn him the Man of the Match award.

The second half was a bit more even, but we were by far the better side in both games, and comfortably qualify for the last 16.

(Bundesliga)

Augsburg 1 Viktoria Köln 1

We were unchanged for the trip to 8th placed Augsburg. We dominated the first half, and when Antonio Cvitanovic fed Jannick Thiel on the right, the young German sent a cross into the box for Maurizio Milani to get above Lorius Karius, and head us into a 17th minute lead.

We had numerous chances to extend our lead, but good opposition goalkeeping, poor finishing on our part, and the woodwork meant that the 1-0 lead we had at half time, didn't do us justice.

The second half was a lot closer. We had another chance to double our lead in the 60th minute, when Alexander Erdogan hit the post.

Our failure to kill the game off was punished in the 73rd minute, when the hosts equalised with just their second chance in the game. Jannick Thiel hit the crossbar in the 80th minute, and Man of the Match Karius, prevented our sub, Marvin Lehner from grabbing a winner.

A really good performance. When the opposition keeper is the best performer, and you hit the woodwork three times, you know that you're on the right track.

(Bundesliga)

Viktoria Köln 1 Frankfurt 0

A record attendance of 8994 saw us make four changes for the game against mid table Frankfurt. Antonio Cvitanovic, Alexander Erdogan, Yhoan Itoua, and Maurizio Milani were all knackered after the Augsburg game, so I brought back Pape Mbaye, Khalifa Shrahili, Marvin Lehner, and gave Jean-Claude Evina his first Bundesliga start of the season.

Frankfurt deployed defensive tactics throughout the game, and made it very difficult for us to break them down. As a result, our defence was completely untroubled, though our back three were seeing far too much of the ball for my liking.

Midway through the second half, I switched to the Attacking 352 formation, and played Mbaye behind the front two. This also meant that my wide midfielders would receive the ball higher up the pitch.

This change had an impact, and in the 75th minute, Lehner was brought down in the box by the Frankfurt keeper, to win us a penalty, that also meant that our opponents were down to 10 men. Marvin picked himself up, and made no mistake from the spot.

There was no way back for the visitors after that, and we secured a difficult but satisfying win. Evina was Man of the Match, though looking at the stats, it's hard to know what for!

(Bundesliga)

Viktoria Köln 1 FC Bayern 4

We were unchanged for the visit of the champions. The first half was a scrappy affair, but we managed to take the lead in the 45th minute when the ball fell to Jean-Claude Evina just outside the box, and he sent a ball into the area for Marvin Lehner to send a header past the Bayern keeper.

The champions responded immediately by equalising in first half stoppage time.

We started the second half well, but Bayern weathered the storm. Midway through the second half, they adopted a more attacking mentality, and we couldn't deal with the pressure, conceding 3 goals in a period of 16 minutes.

We suffered a heavy defeat, and were defensively poor, with James Streete and Belmin Music particularly culpable. Changes will need to be made for our next game, which is a 'must win' cup quarter final.

(DFB Pokal Quarter Final)

Viktoria Köln 3 Hoffenheim 0

I made five changes for this game against the bottom side in the Bundesliga. I dropped James Streete, Belmin Music, Jannick Thiel, Khalifa Shrahili, and (a bit harshly, considering he's had a couple of very good games), Jean-Claude Evina.

I recalled Xaysavath Souvanhansok, Reverson Valuarth De Araujo, Jose Vitor Belo da Silva, Dominik Bozic, and Alexander Erdogan, and lined them up in the 433 formation.

We dominated the game from start to finish. We had 59% possession, and 21 shots at goal (16 on target). Hoffenheim couldn't register a single shot at our goal.

We started superbly, with Marvin Lehner playing as the central striker. He fed Erdogan coming in off the left. The young German got a shot in, which the Hoffenheim keeper could only parry into the path of Lehner, who fired us into a 4th minute lead.

An excellent run from Gilmar Cardoso dos Santos, playing at the heart of midfield, saw him take the ball past three Hoffenheim players, then deliver a cross from the left, for Lehner to get above the keeper to head us into a 2-0 lead in the 29th minute.

Our opponents then went down to 10 men early in the second half, and we were able to take advantage when Bozic, coming in off the right, headed the ball into the path of Man of the Match Lehner, whose volley was parried by the keeper, but the Austrian striker was first to the loose ball, and smashed us into a 3-0 lead, which meant he completed a hat-trick.

A fine win. Hoffenheim have their keeper to thank for keeping the score down. We have a tough semi final against Bayern Munich, and the winner will play either Borussia Mönchengladbach or Frankfurt.

League Table

I'm pleased that we've moved up to 5th. If we can have a better second half of the season, I think that we have a chance of a top four finish. It'll help if opposition keepers stop getting Man of the Match against us. That's four times now in our last twelve games!

If our form tails off however, there are plenty of teams just below us, who are capable of overtaking us.

The Bayern defeat was a bit of a blow in what was otherwise a decent month. I think the changes I made for the Hoffenheim cup game were the right ones to make, and the resulting win means that getting to the semis is the furthest we've gone in the competition. We'll be clear underdogs for the trip to Bayern, but if we can get a result, we'll have a great chance in a final against either Borussia Mönchengladbach or Frankfurt.

We play Utrecht of Holland in the last 16 of the Europa League. We mustn't underestimate a side that put Frankfurt out in the previous round.

Player Focus

Now that I've been informed that this is a regen of Miralem Pjanic, this knowledge adds another dimension to this signing. So far he's been steady but unspectacular in the Bundesliga, but has done very well in the Europa League games that he's played in. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, or whether there's something hidden in the game that causes this.

In real life, Pjanic didn't really start to be considered as one of the best midfielders in Europe until he reached his mid twenties, so I guess the same will happen with Hrustanovic. I'll be pleased if he emulates the form of Gilmar Cardoso dos Santos in the near future though.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Just a couple of games in January, including our rearranged game against Wolfsburg. We could do with winning that, what with them being four points above us in 4th place.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I bit better luck and 4th is achievable. Lets hope that you can keep the cup runs going winning one of them would be a huge boost.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Fine cup win - bitch of a draw though

Pjanic regen is insane but as you say taking his time thus far

4th spot is UP FOR GRABS - will be hard pushed to do better than that but for sure a fine chance - league form doing nicely barring the Bayern game

Leverkusen manager under threat at all - surely so?!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Fine cup win - bitch of a draw though

Pjanic regen is insane but as you say taking his time thus far

4th spot is UP FOR GRABS - will be hard pushed to do better than that but for sure a fine chance - league form doing nicely barring the Bayern game

Leverkusen manager under threat at all - surely so?!
    Paulo Sousa got that job in March last year, and kept them up. He isn't under any pressure at the moment, but Patrick Helmes at Borussia Mönchengladbach is slightly insecure.

vCash
    - got confused - thought it was Leverkusen job you want but it's Monchenglad

vCash
    - got confused - thought it was Leverkusen job you want but it's Monchenglad
    I did wonder! This story has been going on so long, its hard to keep track!

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627