Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Thread: Hennes Weisweiler

Breaking News

[

As you can see from the message above, I've applied for this. I think I've got a genuine chance of getting it this time.

Same restrictions at a new club?

Brilliant performance at the end of the season. I hoped you’d get one of the cups, but to land them both is superb.
    The timing is perfect with the M’gladbach gig coming up straight away. This is now or never for that job.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

Surely it's yours?!

Are you applying for Int'l jobs as well? (don't think so)

Quote Originally Posted by Vèrkûh View Post
    Same restrictions at a new club?
    Yeah, I'll carry on with the same restrictions on training, tactics, and transfers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Surely it's yours?!

Are you applying for Int'l jobs as well? (don't think so)
    No, was kind of hoping I'd get offered the Germany job over Patrick Helmes, as I think that my achievements are a bit better than his, but I'd have turned it down in any case, as it's not part of the plan.

Breaking News

At last!!!

The job first became vacant just over five years ago. I was overlooked then, and again on three more occasions, but at the fifth time of applying, I've been successful. No doubt that my increased reputation at home and abroad has helped due to the recent cup wins.

This is also probably a good time to departing Viktoria Köln. The board expect success now, and whilst there's a good transfer budget there, I was limited in how much I could pay new players.

Also, there's a lot of disharmony now. I turned down bids for Mario Aguza, Pape Mbaye, Jose Vitor Belo da Silva, and Tarik Hrustanovic. Aguza and Hrustanovic went public on how they would like to move, so a number of players have varying degrees of unhappiness towards those two. A fair number of players, (not just the four I mentioned) were also unhappy or irritated by me. I'm not sure if this disharmony would affect results next season, but with a board expecting success, I could have found my job insecure. All this is the price of success at a small club I guess.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Thie timing of this move is quite neat, as I prefer to join a new club in the close season. I'll start a new thread for part 2 of the Hennes Weisweiler story, which will give details on what I'm looking to achieve at Borussia Mönchengladbach, how I'm going to go about it, a bit of detail about the club, and I'll highlight key players.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

YAS!

Well deserved!

In some ways I'd love to see if you could get Koln to CL football but this is what the story is about

Interested to see how much work you need to do

Wonder if you will be shopping at your old club.............................

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    YAS!

Well deserved!

In some ways I'd love to see if you could get Koln to CL football but this is what the story is about

Interested to see how much work you need to do

Wonder if you will be shopping at your old club.............................
    Thanks.

There's a handful of players under the age of 20 at Viktoria Köln that I'm interested in, but whether they will sell is another matter. I might consider loaning of off them if they're up for it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

congratulations looking forward to part 2

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

I've been reading a few pages of this every day for the last few weeks, and what a time to catch up. Congratulations. What a fabulous achievement and good luck with the Munchengladbach job.

I also wanted to ask about Captain selection. It's something you mention on occasion but never dwell on. How do you go about choosing your Captain, how often do you change, and do you think it makes much difference to your teams' performance?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SixmonP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SixmonP View Post
    I've been reading a few pages of this every day for the last few weeks, and what a time to catch up. Congratulations. What a fabulous achievement and good luck with the Munchengladbach job.

I also wanted to ask about Captain selection. It's something you mention on occasion but never dwell on. How do you go about choosing your Captain, how often do you change, and do you think it makes much difference to your teams' performance?
    Thanks. When I choose a captain, I tend to use the following guidelines. First of all, I'm looking to see who my established first team regulars are. I also prefer not to give the armband to someone too young. Then I look at their Influence attribute. I want that to be 16 or above. The higher the better. I also want the captain to have at least 12 for Determination. At one time Leonardo Mustaccia was first choice captain, but after a while I found that his form dipped. He was still quite young at the time, so I took the armband off him and gave it to Afram Hanna. Hanna then became first choice captain, but if he got injured or suspended, that didn't mean that he would automatically return to the side when available again, so when he wasn't playing I would give the armband to either my first, second, or third choice vice captains which were Mustaccia, Alex Duran, and Pape Mbaye. Once Hanna did return to the side though, he would get the captaincy back.

I think that an experienced leader helps, though I have no stats to back this up. At Borussia Mönchengladbach I'll stick with Josh Sargent, who was given the armband this summer by my predecessor, and see how things go.

Brilliant news
    I hope part two of this adventure is as good
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

Epilogue

I thought I'd finish this part of the story by delving into the hidden and intrinsic values of a few key players at Viktoria Köln. I wouldn't have done this whilst I was managing the club, as the knowledge might have impacted decisions that I made, but now that I've moved on, I thought I'd share a few little nuggets.

Xaysavath Souvanhansok

So I think we'd all agree that the long serving keeper's attributes are nothing special. Good in most of the right places I guess, though his determination dropped from 10 to 8 over the course of time. Not sure why. However, down the years, he kept his place, despite there being other talented keepers at the club, many of which were subsequently sold. He was the only Viktoria Köln player to win a Bundesliga Player of the Month award, won a decent amount of Man of the Match awards, and would often have the highest average rating for Bundesliga keepers.

If you look in the second image, just below Bravery, he has 20 for a blacked out attribute. That is Consistency, and explains why he did so well.

Afram Hanna

Afram Hanna did 10 seasons at Viktoria Köln, and started 213 games in all competitions. Looking at the first image, he has good Positioning, along with excellent Influence and Determination, making him ideal captain material.

In the second image, you can see that he had intrinsic values of 55 for Heading, 61 for Positioning, and 43 for tackling. Again there is 20 for Consistency. This explains how he managed to keep his place over what appeared to be better defenders, and why season after season he regularly had one of the highest average tackles per game for a defender.

After a spell out of the side through injury, I brought him back into the side for the final Bundesliga game of the season, and both cup finals. He captained us to wins in all three games, and we didn't concede goals in any of them.

Alex Duran

Another one who had 20 for Consistency. He was also regularly one of the top two defenders for average tackles per game. Having 71 for Positioning probably explains why.

Alexander Erdogan

Again, 20 for Consistency. Erdogan also had 51 for Movement, and 47 for Vision. These figures explain the decent amount of goals and assists, and why he was the Fan's Player of the Year these past two seasons, alomg with being in the top three for German Midfielder of the Year during the same period, at such a young age.

Conclusion

All four players have 20 for Consistency. I don't know if they all had 20 when they first started their careers, or whether they reached that figure after playing a certain amount of games. I would definitely say that a player with average attributes, but with 20 for Consistency is much better to have than a high attributed player with significantly lower Consistency, though having said that, if Consistency does improve with game time, then maybe it's worth persevering with that player. Maybe this is where sending players on loan could help.

This information is immaterial for this save, as I'm not looking at Consistency when I search for a player, though I will get scout reports on these four players, to see if they mention anything about consistency.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829