Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Hennes Weisweiler

1. Hmm wheres it going wrong? Lack of goals is the obvious points, amazingly 4 of your 5 came in one game! Maybe needs a tweak or 2 tactically...

vCash
    You played 3 of the top 6 teams there - don't beat yourself up too much

Let's see how the land lies after October

vCash
    A tough start to the season. But it's early days. You'll have to start scoring goals in October, though, against the more mediocre teams!

But you also have to play Augsburg and Werder Bremen

Good luck!

vCash

October 2022

Results

A month of missed opportunities. Jena took the lead against us with the only chance they had in the first half. Meanwhile, we created chance after chance. We hit the woodwork twice, had two penalty appeals turned down, and their keeper, who went on to get the Man of the Match award, made a string of great saves. In the second half, they switched to a defensive style, and we were unable to break them down. Frustrating.

I switched to the flat 352 formation for the game against recently relegated Augsburg, who are chasing an instant return to the Bundesliga. I rested Leonardo Mustaccia, as the Jena game took a lot out of him, and gave Szymon Maszota his first start of the season. We opened the scoring in the 2nd minute, when Maszota swept in a loose ball in the box, then in the 23rd minute Maszota turned provider, by playing a neat one two with Lorenzo De Marzo who doubled our lead. Augsburg had a fair amount of possession in their attempt to try to get back into the game, but the defence held firm, and we contained them well to pick up an encouraging win.

Next up was the cup game at FC Bayern. They outclassed us in a game where Daniel Mesenholer was sent off for a professional foul. Our share of the gate receipts was 4M, bumping up our cash reserves to 18M.

We then went to managerless Werder Bremen, whose annual wage bill is 63M, compared to our 7M. We took the lead in the first half, with on loan Benjamin Huber getting his first goal for the club, but the home side eventually got a deserved second half equaliser in an even game.

I felt confident going into the game against winless Cottbus who are languishing at the foot of the table. We didn't deserve to lose the game, but certainly didn't play well enough to deserve to win a game where we should have been looking to get all three points.

League Table

So we remain in the relegation zone despite having the best defensive record in the division. I'm not playing defensive formations, so this is a testament to our defenders. Clearly the problem is with scoring goals. Lorenzo De Marzo and Alain Miyogo have good creativity, but neither create enough. The four wide players that I've used this season have 1 assist between them. The four strikers I've used have 1 goal between them. I'm going to make 8 changes for the game at Darmstadt, in the hope that this provides a change in fortune. I'll see how things go, and if there's still no joy, another change of approach may be needed.

Player Focus

Ryuya and Afonso have established themselves well over the past couple of seasons, and are a big reason why we currently have the best defensive record in the division.

Hopefully November will bring a better return points wise.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ouch! After that nice win over Augsburg I expected more of your team!

To be totally honest, I love your story! There so much more suspense and I don't like stories without suspense.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    Ouch! After that nice win over Augsburg I expected more of your team!

To be totally honest, I love your story! There so much more suspense and I don't like stories without suspense.
    Thanks. I think it's where I've placed so many restrictions on myself in this save. I've recently been doing the Alphabet Game, which has been going well, so I'm applying most of same strategies here, with the two main differences being that I'm using a direct style instead of mixed or short, and the biggest one of all is of course, signing players under the age of 20.

The inconsistency is so frustrating, but like you say, a good story!

9. This lack of goals is a real worry, where do you think it's gone wrong?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James_y View Post
    This lack of goals is a real worry, where do you think it's gone wrong?
    I'm not sure if there's one simple answer to this, or whether there's a variety of reasons. I'll list them below in no particular order.

1. Playing 'Direct' instead of 'Mixed' or 'Short'
    2. Inconsistency of young players.
    3. Me signing and picking players with the wrong attributes
    4. Opponents sussing out my tactics, and me persevering with them for too long.

It could be all, none, or some of those off the top of my head. It's a challenge, that's for sure!

11. Hmm sometimes you try and change too much to fix an issue too and then it gets worse. Hopefully you can find a way

12. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    4m from Bayern game

Is 18m available for transfers?!

Cottbus game is a massive worry - that should have been 3 points nailed on - or the very least a draw!

Just the top end of the pitch is the big issue

Are you creating chances? Is it that what is the issue or strikers/forwards etc just not taking them?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    4m from Bayern game

Is 18m available for transfers?!

Cottbus game is a massive worry - that should have been 3 points nailed on - or the very least a draw!

Just the top end of the pitch is the big issue

Are you creating chances? Is it that what is the issue or strikers/forwards etc just not taking them?
    Yeah, I do have 18M available for transfers, but I'd be lucky to attract a player worth a tenth of that amount.

At home this season we struggled to create chances using the 352 Attacking formation, despite scoring 23 goals in 8 games when I used it last season. The most efforts at goal in one game was the Jena league game, which was 8. Three days later we switched to the flat 352 against promotion chasing Augsburg, and had 10 efforts at goal. I've noticed in other saves that there's a similar pattern at home, where home form will be great, then after a while, not so good until I switch to a different one. Our away record in terms of scoring goals is reasonable, but I tend to start with a 'normal' mentality, and only switch to 'attacking' if we fall behind.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

November 2022

Results

A good month. We started off with a tough trip to promotion/title chasing Darmstadt, and earned a good point in a scrappy game that saw just a few chances for both sides.

Next up was mid table Karlsruhe. Our previous home game was the win over Augsburg almost six weeks earlier. I went with the flat 352 formation that worked well for us in that game, along with our promotion season, and we won the game comfortably, having 15 shots to their 1. We had to persevere though. In the 58th minute a low cross into the box from Mario Riccardo Correnti, following a good run down the left, found it's way to Luis Rodriguez to fire us in front. Then in the 74th minute, Man of the Match Correnti made another good run down the left, and his low cross found Piero Caceres who scored his first goal of the season.

We then went to mid table Ingolstadt who were promoted last season. They were all over us, and took the lead in the 25th minute. Shortly after I switched to the 352 Attacking formation, as we weren't creating anything. We got into the game a bit more, but then fell further behind in the 69th minute. This seemed to galvanise the team, and a cross from the right from Michal Sobolewski found Mario Riccardo Correnti coming in from the far post to fire in his first goal of the season just a minute after the restart. We then had a bit of momentum, and 5 minutes later Grady Zinkondo found Piero Caceres in the penalty area, who finished with aplomb to give us a deserved equaliser.

Our final game of the month saw us host 6th placed Bochum. We started the game well, and in the 10th minute, a loose ball outside the box fell to Grady Zinkondo, who smashed the ball into the top corner. 19 minutes later Lazar Samardzic made a good run in that three quarters space on the right hand side, then put a low cross to the near post which found Leonardo Mustaccia running from deep to double our lead. Five minutes before half time Mustaccia turned provider, when he picked up a loose ball, and sent it straight into the area, for Luis Rodriguez to head us into a commanding lead. Bochum to their credit never gave up, and we found it difficult to contain them, nor create any more chances, but our defence stood firm, and in the 73rd minute Zinkondo hit a direct ball into the path of Michal Sobolewski, who floated a ball into the near post for substitute Dominik Sadler to head home to complete the scoring.

League Table

Four games, eight points, and eight goals sees us climb out of the bottom four. We've scored the same amount of goals in the last three games, as we did in the previous twelve.

Player Focus

]

This is the first time I've put a player in this section whom I didn't sign. Last season I described Daniel as 'Caviar or Cabbage' due to how erratically he performed. He had the lowest average rating for a keeper in the division. Apart from getting sent off against FC Bayern in the cup, he's been excellent this season, and is another reason why we currently have the best defensive record in the division.

I actually featured him early in this save as a 'dodgy keeper' when we were struggling defensively in my first season. Look at how his attributes have improved since then.

Next up is a trip to mid table Halle.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Now that's just what the doctor ordered! A couple of wins and goals galore!

Still only ten goals conceded, too. Just compare that to the teams around you in the table!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

20. 8 goals in last 3 games, you feeling ok?

Out the drop zone too, lets hope this continues

21. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Wow - GK has really improved his att's

What's his CA/PA and all of that?

WHAT A MONTH!

Great results! Only 2 goals conceded as well!

Still work to do to stay out of relegation zone but given yourself a big confidence booster there!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Wow - GK has really improved his att's

What's his CA/PA and all of that?

WHAT A MONTH!

Great results! Only 2 goals conceded as well!

Still work to do to stay out of relegation zone but given yourself a big confidence booster there!
    I don't look at CA/PA. I don't want to have that knowledge, as it'll influence who I buy or keep. Its another one of my self imposed restrictions.

I can make an exception if you're interested though?

vCash

December 2022

Results

A superb month in which we won all five games, creating a six match winning streak, and extending our unbeaten run to nine games.

First up was a trip to mid table Halle. It was a tight, scrappy game. In the second half I switched to the 352 Attacking formation, and gradually this fit, young side started to put pressure on the opposition. In the 93rd minute, a good run down the right from Michal Sobolewski, ended with him crossing into the box for Luis Rodriguez to head home a deserved winner.

Next up was a trip to promotion/title chasing Sandhausen. We started with the 352 Attacking formation, but found ourselves under pressure, and in the 22nd minute Afonso Whitaker gave away a penalty. Thankfully Daniel Mesenholer saved the resulting spot kick, and I switched to the flat 352 formation. It was then our turn to take control of the game, and in the 69th minute, Leonardo Mustaccia provided a knockdown from a free kick for captain Antonio Ruberto to fire in his first goal for the club. Sandhausen will rightly feel unfortunate that they didn't get something from what was an even game.

We then hosted relegation threatened Paderborn. We started on fire, with Mario Riccardo Correnti crossing to the near post from the left, for Luis Rodriguez to head us into the lead in the 3rd minute. Three minutes later, Szymon Maszota got on the end of a parried shot to double our lead. We continued to attack, and in the 27th minute Lazar Samardzic crossed from the right following a good run, for Maszota to score his second goal of the game. Paderborn pulled one back midway through the second half, then in the 90th minute, our substitutes combined, with Tyreik Wright crossing from the left, for Dominik Sadler to head home, and complete the scoring.

Next up was a trip to mid table Dynamo Dresden. We started brightly, with Lazar Samardzic making a good run from the three quarters position on the right, then putting in a low cross for Piero Caceres to give us a 3rd minute lead. Our defence held firm under a period of Dresden pressure, then a Mario Riccardo Correnti free kick was headed home by Luis Rodriguez to double our lead in the 64th minute, and complete the scoring.

Our final game of the month saw us host relegation threatened Magdeburg. Lazar Samardzic found Piero Caceres in the area to fire us into a 10th minute lead. We continued to attack, and in the 57th minute, Mario Riccardo Correnti crossed from the left, Luis Rodriguez outjumped their keeper, and headed down for Szymon Maszota to double our lead, and complete the scoring.

League Table

As you can see, this great run means that we're shot up to 6th place, and we go into the winter break just 4 points off the promotion places, and 13 points clear of the relegation positions.

Player Focus

With three assists this month, Lazar is a worthy winner of the Player of the Month award.

Transfer News

I've managed to offload a couple of listed players, so I signed a left back. This might seem a little mad, as we've used a back three all season, but his transfer fee and wages are peanuts, and I want to have options should I need to switch to a back four.

Our only game in January is at home to promotion/title chasing Union Berlin.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

28. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

29. This is some turn around! You should take a read of Crystal Palace's promotion in 2003/04.... relegation zone at Xmas and then promoted

30. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James_y View Post
    This is some turn around! You should take a read of Crystal Palace's promotion in 2003/04.... relegation zone at Xmas and then promoted
    I remember that. That was when their manager Iain Dowie coined the term 'bouncebackability'

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    I don't look at CA/PA. I don't want to have that knowledge, as it'll influence who I buy or keep. Its another one of my self imposed restrictions.

I can make an exception if you're interested though?
    no - it's ok mate

vCash
    Wahahahahahah - WHAT A MONTH!

P5, W5

Just 4 points await from promotion places - crazy stuff!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

January/February 2023

Transfer News

I broke our transfer record on the final day of the transfer window by giving us another option on the left hand side. Tyreik Wright is struggling to settle, and Jonas Weik hasn't improved, and has also proved unprofessional, so hopefully Khalifa will prove to be effective.

Results

We've had a tough time since we've returned from the winter break. Our first game saw us host promotion/title contenders Union Berlin. Daniel Mesenholer had an off day, and we'd conceded 2 goals in the opening 9 minutes. We rallied after the break, when Michal Sobolewski set up Piero Caceres to pull one back, but we couldn't find what would have been a deserved equaliser.

We then went to Greuther Furth, who are in a similar position to us. Sobolewski and Caceres combined again, with the latter giving us the lead just before half time, but the home side got a deserved equaliser in what was a scrappy game.

I fancied our chances in our next game at home to Kaiserslauten, who have slumped since their good early season form. Afram Hanna came in for the injured Ryuya Nishio, but got himself sent off after 10 minutes for a two footed challenge. Despite this, Szymon Maszota got on the end of a Mario Riccardo Correnti cross to give us a lead midway through the first half, but Kaiserslauten were able to make their numerical advantage count in the second half, and get the goals that won them the game.

Things didn't get any easier with a trip to league leaders Augsburg. After 20 minutes we were 0-3 down, and down to ten men, when Afonso Whitaker was sent off for a deliberate handball. We managed to pull one back with a Lorenzo De Marzo penalty, after Szymon Maszota was fouled in the box, but Augsburg restored their three goal advantage shortly after. Substitute Tidian M'Baye got on the end of a De Marzo through ball to close the gap again, but it was too little too late.

Our final game of February saw us host promotion contenders St. Pauli. We fell behind in the 38th minute. Midway through the second half, I switched to the 352 Attacking formation, and moved Lazar Samardzic to the position behind the front two. He was in the right place to get on the end of a parried shot in the 78th minute to give us an equaliser, which was the least we deserved in a game where St. Pauli's keeper was Man of the Match.

League Table

Just 2 points from a possible 15 sees us slip to 9th. I didn't want to get carried away when our 6 match winning streak saw us move to within 4 points of the promotion places, so I'm not going to be too downbeat about these results. There were some tough games in there, but we've shown what we're capable of, and I'm hopeful that we can finish the season strongly.

Player Focus

It's nice to see one of our lads win this award again. Tomas got his chance because of injury and suspension, and has grabbed his opportunity well.

Next up is a home game against a resurgent Werder Bremen.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

38. Your players certainly do well in player of the month, shame the team isnt as consistent but looks like a mid table finish at least

vCash
    2 from 15 is awful - maybe too man mince pies over the xmas break!

Mid table does indeed look most likely which is fine and an improvement on last season

Tomas looking very good

Not too fussed on the M/F - I always get confused where best to deploy them

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast