Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hennes Weisweiler

vCash

Hennes Weisweiler

I've decided to start a new save, where I hope to emulate a large part of the managerial career of Hennes Weisweiler.

I'm looking to cover the period from 1958-1980. For those that aren't familiar with the history of German football, I'll briefly outline his achievements during this period.

1958-1964 Viktoria Koln
    1964-1975 Borussia Monchengladbach - 3 Bundesliga titles, 1 German Cup, 1 UEFA Cup
    1975-1976 Barcelona
    1976-1980 FC Koln - 1 Bundesliga title, 2 German Cups (1 German Cup was part of a double)

One of the notable things about Weisweiler's career was the way that he gave opportunities to young players such as Bertie Vogts, Gunter Netzer, Jupp Heynckes, Bernd Schuster, Pierre Litbarski, and Allan Simonsen, who went on to win the Ballon D'or.

Weisweiler's teams were also known for playing attacking, direct, and aggressive football, so I will be sending my teams out in a similar style.

I will only sign players that are under the age of 20 years old, and will ensure that they have decent attributes for Acceleration, Pace, Stamina, and Strength, along with Aggression, Bravery, Determination, and Work Rate.

I'll be using the October 2019 Data Update, along with the patcher designed by Nick & Co.

In 2019 Viktoria Koln were promoted to 3. Liga, so I'll assess the squad and the back room staff and use CM Scout to search for players aged 19 and other. However, I'll hide the columns for CA, PA, and Scout Rating, as I simply want access to all of the players on the database.

I'll also hire staff that have a high rating for Working with Youngsters.

I intend to use the pre loaded formations, starting each match with an Attacking mentality, Direct passing, Hard tackling, and to press with the offside trap.

Hopefully the players that I sign will develop into players that can win us two promotions into the Bundesliga, then hold their own there in order for me to be considered for the Borussia Monchengladbach job when it comes up.

My next update will be at the end of the transfer window.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Interesting idea.

Make sure to save all you posts in a text file, though, as we will be moving to another site next month or so. Then you can copy your posts to the new site more easily.

4. Good luck mate, as Samsami said keep all this backed up ready to copy and paste to the new forms when we move in about a month

vCash
    Looking forward to this mate, best of luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Cheers fellas. I'll bear that in mind.

vCash

Update

Transfer News & Backroom Staff

I've offloaded 6 players in this window, bringing in 700k, and have spent 775k on 22 players aged between 16 and 19. Hopefully they will develop into players that can eventually take us into the Bundesliga, then establish themselves as good players at that level.

I've also brought in an Assistant Manager, 3 coaches, and 2 Physios, who have between 13 and 20 for Working With Youngsters.

Club Finances

I feel like our financial situation is decent. I only had a net spend of 75k on transfers, and at the start of the season our yearly wage bill was the 7th highest in the 3. Liga (North) which has 18 teams, and we currently have the 21st highest average attendance of the 36 teams in the North and South divisions of 3. Liga. I hope to offload some more high earners in the next window. I'd like us to be profitable, as we have 'Awful' training facilities, and I'd like the club to have the money to upgrade them.

Current Standings & DFB Pokal

As you can see, we've had a decent start. 7 of the players that have started 3 games or more are players that were already at the club when I arrived, but that's fine, as integrating the young players that I've bought will mostly be a gradual process, but these 3 youngsters have already caught my eye.

We've been playing the 352 Attacking formation and Francesco Marra has had a good start playing on the right hand side. He cost me 50k from a Maltese club called Hamrun.

Yannick Braem cost me 65K from a Belgian club called Temse, and has played as both a Striker, and behind the front two.

Kelian Nsona Wa Saka was a freebie and has also played either as a striker or behind the front two.

We had a tough 1st round tie at home to Bundesliga side RB Leipzig. We created a few chances early on but Timo Werner scored twice for them in a 0-2 defeat for us.

I haven't decide how frequently to update my progress. It'll either be monthly, two monthly, or I'll wait until the end of the winter transfer window.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Do you plan to stay with Viktoria Kln for six years, just like Weisweiler? Or until you get promoted?

As to updates, you may have noticed that some post updates for a whole month or more and others, like Redknapp69 and myself, post updates for each match. Whatever seems to work best for you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    Do you plan to stay with Viktoria Kln for six years, just like Weisweiler? Or until you get promoted?

As to updates, you may have noticed that some post updates for a whole month or more and others, like Redknapp69 and myself, post updates for each match. Whatever seems to work best for you!
    I'll stay at Viktoria Kln for however long it takes for the Borussia MG job to come up, and for my reputation to be good enough to get it. I guess while they remain in the Bundesliga, I'll need to at least get Viktoria Kln promoted to the Bundesliga to have a chance of getting the job. They are currently mid table, and their manager Marco Rose is 43 years old. Let's hope he doesn't remain in the job until he retires!

I'll probably do monthly updates.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

September

September hasn't been a great month. There has been inconsistency, which is understandable with young players, but some of the more senior players have also been inconsistent.

We started the month on the wrong end of a 1-4 spanking by promotion/title contenders Braunchsweig, so I made 6 changes for the next game, which was a home derby against Fortuna Koln. The response was good, and we spanked them 4-0, then followed that up with a 2-0 away win at title/promotion contenders Uerdingen, which took us to the top of the table on goal difference. However back to back defeats since then have seen us drop to 6th in the table.

After the Braunschweig defeat, I brought this young player into the back three. He's done well, and has averaged 4 tackles per game.

I feel that if we can find some consistency, we'll have a great chance of promotion this season, as none of the contenders have shown great form so far.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

15. With so many new players in it will take time to gel, hopefully youll be fine

16. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I agree. The lower leagues are often remarkably easy..

18. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Will keep an eye on this

Nice start so far - building nicely

How big is the ground you have?

28 goals in 9 games - fans are getting value for money (maybe not the goals against!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Will keep an eye on this

Nice start so far - building nicely

How big is the ground you have?

28 goals in 9 games - fans are getting value for money (maybe not the goals against!)
    Thanks. The ground holds just over 6300, and our average attendance is just over 5700, so I'll be looking for the capacity to be increased at the end of the season.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash

October

Another inconsistent month with 2 wins, 1 draw, and 2 defeats.

Frustratingly, we created more chances than our opponents in the 2 defeats, but couldn't convert them into goals.

It leaves the table looking like this.

Only 3 points away from a promotion place. It would be great if we could find some consistency and string some wins together.

The average age of the squad is 22, so perhaps I'm expecting a bit much. I'm used to buying players without any restrictions on age, playing either a Short or Mixed style, then romping away at the top of whatever division I'm in at whatever level, so I'm thinking about why it is that we've been inconsistent, and I've come up with a few theories.

Playing Direct - Our away form is the second best in the division, but do we need a bit more guile at home? Maybe if I change central midfielders and strikers from Direct to Mixed, I won't be veering to far away from Weisweiler's team's direct style.

Wrong formation at home - 352Attacking has worked well away, but has been disappointing at home. We lined up with the flat 352 in our last home game which we won 1-0, so I'll persevere with that.

Young players - Young players are inconsistent, plus they're new to the club. Maybe they need time to settle, and that game time will help with consistency over the course of time. Most of my strikers are 19 and under, so this might explain the lack of goals.

Poor experienced players - The squad that I inherited aren't great. The ones that I have played have been disappointing.

Dodgy Keeper - He hasn't been great, but we do have one of the better defensive records, and he has made important saves in games. I'm not convinced that any of my other options would do any better, whilst we're conceding so many chances in games.

I'll welcome any thoughts on these theories, and am hoping I see an improvement in November.
    Last edited by Libertine; 02-04-20 at 08:05 AM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Not too bad. Other teams dropped points as well.

Personally I would not change much. By playing at least half a season with the same formation (giving the players time to settle in and to gel) you will find out who are the most consistent and who are the best rated players.

If you experiment too much you cannot draw too many conclusions.

But that's just what I prefer.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

26. I always try and start with a solid keeper so maybe make that a priority if you can find better

I have found that a young average age leads to inconsistency, I would imagine the experience they gain this year will help with a promotion bid next season

27. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Look at the bigger picture and you are only 3 points away from a promotion place. You have a team that can play to the level required so it's your job to get that out of them more regularly.
    For my money, you have the right standard of player for this league, so it is now a case of improving individual positions as and when you can, but not making any mass changes to the squad. If you can find a better keeper then go for it, but that applies to every position. I'd also be looking out for any players who might be able to play at the next level.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Still going ok

I agree i find best reuslts withj same starting XI (as much as possible from inuries/suspensions/tiredness) and same formation - give that a decent amount of games before any conclusion drawing

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks for the feedback fellas.

I'm glad that none of you feel that our Direct style is a problem.

One of the reasons that I chose this save/challenge is because sometimes I find the game too easy and unfulfilling if I don't put any restrictions on myself. By putting an upper age limit of 19 for incoming transfers, along with using a Direct style along with just the pre loaded formations, I'm trying to make the game a bit more realistic. It is however difficult to find a balance between being frustrated by inconsistency, and being so successful that it leads to boredom.

Perhaps I need to accept that with a young squad, inconsistency is inevitable, and that promotion will eventually come as part of a process that involves a decent amount (but not too much) exposure to first team football. A couple of my young lads, Francesco Marra and Yannick Braem have been exhausted at the end of games, so I need to manage these youngsters carefully. I'm considering a rotation system of no more than two consecutive games for players under the age of 21, then rest them. I have the squad numbers to do this, but it does go against my principle of not changing a winning team. I'm trying to think of a way that we can string some wins together.

vCash

November

So November started poorly with 2 defeats, making it 3 defeats in a row that saw us slip out of the top half of the table, but back to back 3-0 home wins were a nice way to finish the month.

It leaves the league table looking like this, with us just a few points off of the top 2, and a trip to 2nd placed Cottbus in our next game.

Our second game this month saw us lose another game where we created far more chances than our opponents.

I made no fewer than 8 changes for our next game, including dropping my keeper Mesenholer. We lined up with the flat 352 formation, and this happened.

Absolute dominance throughout the game gives me confidence that our direct style DOES work at home, and that these players ARE good enough to eventually get us promoted.

We then followed it up with this win.

A hat-trick of assists for young Englishman Taylor Morrison, who I signed on a free transfer.

Two other players that have had a positive impact this month are these lads.

Xaysavath Souvanhansok cost just 30K from a team called Young Elephant from Laos. He made a couple of important saves in the Meppen game, and I'm encouraged by his start.

Robin Singh cost me just 20K from an Italian semi-pro club called Romanese. He has averaged 4 tackles per game.

One other thing that I'm encouraged by is the way that players attributes are improving. Our training facilities are 'Awful' but in the summer I appointed coaches that are a mixture of Fitness, Technique, and General, and have medium to high attributes for Working with Youngsters. I haven't touched the settings for training, but after initially putting all of the outfield players in Fitness, once their numbers turned green, I started putting defenders, defensive midfielders, and strikers in Tactics, to improve Positioning and Off the Ball, and creative midfielders and wingers into Skill. I then move players to different regimes once a week, depending on what they need.

My next update will be at the end of January, as we start a 7 week winter break in December. I have a few signings lined up for January 1st.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

35. Be interested to see your signings, you really have to look at this season as a building block. Get youngsters in, start to develop them, work out your best team and gel as a unit

36. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Some decent players. Their average ratings will tell you whether they are really talented, as will their stats (if they increase) but they will still be inconsistent, no doubt.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Young Elephant - looks dceent player though

How is home form v away form? Home seems better from last couple of months?

You don't like draws

How's the finances looking as we stand? Making/losing month each month (if you don't include any sales/signings)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Young Elephant - looks dceent player though

How is home form v away form? Home seems better from last couple of months?

You don't like draws

How's the finances looking as we stand? Making/losing month each month (if you don't include any sales/signings)
    Our home and away form has pretty much evened out. Changing to the flat 352 seems to have done the trick.

We're losing about 200k per month. This is something that I've been mindful of since I've established what sort of income we have. Our wages, signing on fees, and bonuses are currently about 68% of our income (excluding players sales) which is too high for my liking. This will need to significantly reduce if we're going to make enough profit to invest in the training facilities, and increase our capacity.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Money is often the main problem in the lower leagues. Patience is needed!

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast