23 58.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 636970717273
Results 1,801 to 1,812 of 1812

Thread: CM 00/01 - Discussion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Been a while since I checked in here!

Glad to see you've moved on from FGR, but I can't believe you were sacked by them! You may not have been but I'm glad they got relegated the following season.

So to Germany and a great first full season with Frankfurt, sounds like you signed two great strikers there, how do you rate the squad going into next season and the league up?

Best of luck with the USA as well
    Good to have you back!

I guess my time with the Rovers was up after all. To hell with them from now on!

Given our cup run, I'm not that worried about the potential of our squad.

That'll be one tough challenge at the world stage, in my opinion...

vCash
    Although the deal eventually collapsed due to lack of funds, I decided to give his spot in the starting line-up to the replacement player that already arrived. That left only one of the inherited players in my preferred formation. Only to enlarge our squad depth, nine Bosman signings and seven more purchases for a combined amount of 2.800.000 came in. No more loan deals in this season, because I had the feeling we were able to rotate in order to reach the respectable league position that was asked for by the board.

For the first time since my arrival, we had to play a cup tie away from home. To Nrnberg in the First Round, so top-flight opposition from the off. At the end of the opening half, Korneev (SC) opened the scoring. During the second half, they even brought our former player Zkitischwili (AM/FC) on as a sub, but Steve Smeets (GK) was brilliant for us: 0-1! Bochum, from our tier, hosted our game in the Second Round. They scored in the very first minute and again after fifteen. In the remainder of the first half, we came back through de Souza Vieira (D/AMR) and Daniele Bedin (SC). Right after the start of the second period, a push by Alexandr Belyaev (SW/DLC) was rewarded with a straight red card. The ten of Frankfurt saw Bedin completing his hat-trick and Jos Lus Costa (SC) scoring his first two goals for the club: 2-6! The Third Round brought us a copy of the first one, with Stuttgarter Kickers from the league above us the hosts now and Costa the scorer, a few minutes before the break: 0-1! For a place amongst the last four, we made the travel to Celle, who were playing in the league we got promoted out of last season. In the first half, Matt Moore (MRL) opened his goal account for Frankfurt and Ruud van Delft (MC) doubled our lead. Inside the last twenty minutes, the home team came closer and got a penalty as well. The extra time gave Jos Antonio Muoz (SW/DC) the opportunity to collect his second yellow card and in the end we were happy to keep things level until the penalties were taken. We missed one out of our first five and the first two of their players failed to score: 2-2 (pens 2-4)! On our way to a possible final, we had to beat a team from the First Division for a third time in five fixtures, all of them on foreign soil. Erfurt were three up after the first 45 minutes and we couldn't even score a consolation goal afterwards: 3-0...

I was hoping to keep my players good enough with the help of our improved training ground (from good facilities to top facilities plus youth academy). Winning the first two games in the league was also good for their morale. Losing the next three saw us dropping quite a few positions in the table, so early in the season. A winning streak of eleven in the Second Division alone and even extending that to an unbeaten run of fifteen, moved us up to the three promotion spots. With five games still to play, we were already promoted and three matchdays later, the title was celebrated too!!!

Spoiler!

My first competitive game action with USA was at the 2027 Copa America. The first group game was played against Argentina, the host country. I hadn't noticed one of the starters had retired, so a Turkish boy played out of position in the national team of America... They got in front within the first five minutes and at the stroke of half time, Alan Conway (FLC) equalised. A penalty in the last fifteen minutes was ought to decide this clash in their favour and in the dying seconds Conway scored again, twice and thus completing his hat-trick: 2-3! Ecuador scored the first goal of the match in the very same minute as Argentina had done earlier and we started to batter them from then on. Eventually, Kevin Jackson (AMLC) found the net in the first half too. Only one more (undeserved) goal was scored in the second period: 1-2... Another hat-trick was produced in the last group game versus Uruguay, where we created more chances in the end, but all of theirs went in: 4-0...

Spoiler!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I have been playing since release and never encountered this bug before.

https://screenshotscdn.firefoxuserco...b724e3a3d0.png

Not a bad day really for the Strasbourg manager, a whole new meaning to the phrase 6 pointer

vCash
    Very common in France on 00/01 and 01/02 if you go far in the domestic cups and in Europe. Your players don’t lose any fitness between games so it’s not much of a problem, much better than having the games a day or two apart.

vCash
    The return of Eintracht Frankfurt to the highest national division of Germany then. Because I wanted to give the players who got me here a chance, only two Bosmans came in to provide me with better cover in certain areas. So basically, this was the team that demolished the German Regional and were now up to challenging the sides two tiers up. You can call me crazy for that, I must confess... On the other hand, our only assignment was to battle bravely against relegation.

In imitation of last season, we played the First Round of the German Cup away from home, with Elversberg (Reg) the opponents. Andreas Koslov (AMRC) in the first half and Korneev (SC) in the second half handed us a double lead, before the hosts could grab one too: 1-2! Three days after we played Mainz at home in the league, we faced them in the cup, again at our ground. We soon got ahead through van Delft (MC), but then had to concede three times in the next half an hour. Still in the first half, entering the stoppage time, Bedin (SC) brought us back completely. One more goal was scored in this bizarre half, to set the final score already: 3-4...

A top-flight season which broke the club records for highest attendance, highest gate receipts and highest average attendance, made us deal with some heavy defeats as well. Sometimes we were able to counter those with some big wins, to keep our goals alive at least. Believe it or not, but when the campaign was around halfway, we weren't even that far away from the top spot! The following sequel of six winless encounters kind of killed that dream. Thanks to a royal win on the final day, we managed to climb some places after all and set a new club record for highest final league position.

Spoiler!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    A lot of my players were nearly or over thirty and in their last contract year. Reason enough for most of them to turn homesick and occasionally in need of a new challenge too. Many of the new arrivals had some trouble adapting to life in Germany, so all in all I had to lead a squad full of moaning and grumping (old) men. Good thing the board demanded to mount a serious championship challenge this season, while I was surprised to win it last year at my debut in the First Division... At least our home ground was provided with under-soil heating.

It's not completely clear to me what you have to do to enter the German League Cup, scheduled prior to the beginning of the league start. This tournament starts in the Quarter Finals and I guess we deserved a place in the Semi Finals because we were the national champions. A trip to Stuttgart to play Nrnberg (D1) as the first test case of this season. At the stroke of half time they scored the opener. At the end of the day, the side from our division were left with ten men on the pitch and produced four shots on goal, of which two had been on target. All of our eleven players stayed on and registered a total of twelve attempts and seven of them between the frame of the goal: 1-0...

The First Round of the German Cup then, where we travelled to Lohhof (Reg) to see Koslov (AMRC) scoring in the very first minute and Ian Creaney (DMC) and Hans Isaksson (D/AMLC) extending our lead in the first half. The hosts clawed one back around the hour mark, before Koslov grabbed his double and Korneev (SC) made it a handful for us: 1-5! The same level of opposition in the Second Round, with Nordhorn the home team this time. Just over thirty minutes underway as Costa (SC) broke the deadlock. All of our other opportunities were squandered and in the penultimate minute, the first and only time they appeared in front of our goal led to the equaliser. A few minutes into extra time, it was Costa to get us in front again and no more chances were allowed to give this away: 1-2 (aet)! A trip to Elversberg (Reg) in the Third Round, were one of not so many shots brought them in front after fifteen minutes. Halfway through the second period, Craig Wright (MRLC) finally handed us a more than deserved leveller. We weren't able to decide this one in the remainder of the match and not even in half an hour of extra time. Missing three of our five penalties didn't help us out either: 1-1 (pens 3-2)...

My return to the Champions League, albeit it with a different club, was of course a positive experience! We had little trouble to qualify from the First Group, with Austria Vienna (Aut), Vitria Setbal (Por) and Zaragoza (Esp) in it. We officially accomplished this after five games and that resulted in a Second Group, also containing Bari (Ita), Liteks (Bgr) and Monaco (Fra). At the peak of Frankfurt's mental breakdown, by the time players with no earlier issues began to nag about the lack of harmony, we also had to make do without our first-choice goalkeeper, who was out injured for ten months. I still feel that didn't justify us going into the last match at the top of this group, taking a three-goal lead and ending up losing it along with a place in the Quarter Finals after all...

Spoiler!

At the beginning of the league season, we couldn't keep track of St. Pauli - who won a divisional record of thirteen games in a row - by a mile. Next to all the whining that was already there, people started to complain about our league position as well. I was rather clueless how to react to that and couldn't be happy with Belyaev (SW/DLC) breaking the club record for most yellow and red cards received either... From our chasing position, we managed to gain exactly the same amount of points as last year. The season finale wasn't that phenomenal this time, but it came awfully close!

Spoiler!

Team USA started their (possible) route to the 2030 World Cup in a Group called Semi Final. Four teams in it and two of them would make it to the Final Group. I figured Costa Rica to be our toughest opponents, but after winning comfortably in Grenada (1-4), Belize made us sweat in our first home tie (2-1). That seemed to be a true wake-up call for us and in return, all remaining games were won, which broke the USA record for most victories in a row!

Spoiler!

The Final of the CONCACAF Qualifying Section obviously reunited us with Costa Rica. Jamaica, El Salvador, Honduras and Canada had survived the Semi Finals as well. Our visit to Honduras broke the America record for biggest win (0-6), before Costa Rica did prevent us from winning (1-1) after an early red card for one of our defenders. Conway (FLC) earned himself a country record for most international goals scored in a year, as we worked our way to the summit of this group at the halfway point.

Spoiler!

Only four days after that fifth qualifying game, we had to play at the Copa America, against Peru. A single goal was scored early in the first half and Conway put his name to it, with his 56th goal in 104 caps! Minutes after Peru had equalised, we lost him to injury, but Steve Scott (DMLC) restored our lead. They came back once more and even produced a winner: 3-2... Just two minutes on the clock, when David Miller (SC) got us ahead of Brazil. Over twenty minutes later, Scott was shown a red card for causing a penalty, which was converted. Not much later, Tom Henderson (AM/FC) brought us in front again, only to concede a first-half equaliser within the next ten minutes. In the first ten minutes of the closing half, Brazil took the lead for the first time and Miller completed his brace to square the game once more. Such a shame we got sucker-punched in stoppage time: 3-4... Versus Uruguay, Brian Smith (SC) scored first, after forty minutes and Miller lifted our first-half advantage to two. After the break, Uruguay scored as well, but not before Miller had produced his second of the day: 3-1!

Spoiler!

Due to some sort of lucky losers arrangement, we were offered the chance to play in the Quarter Finals. The Bolivian players were significantly less knackered than the Americans, so this wasn't a real bonus for us. Two goals around the twentieth minute made things all the more difficult for me and my team. When Miller scored inside the first thirty minutes, we looked to repair the damage, but it was denied by the linesman. We didn't play that bad, but their goalkeeper had other plans: 2-0...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    A lot of new faces came in, all of them for free, apart from a signing fee here and there. Some of the free spaces in the starting eleven were taken over by players who were already at the club. An away game in the League Cup Semi Final to get the season underway. 1. FC Kln were in the German Regional, as they were when they won the German Cup last year. Just like last season at this stage, we produced seven shots on target and our opponents did so twice: 1-0...

In our own Waldstadion for the First Round of the German Cup against Ahlen (D2). After 35 minutes, Keith Campbell (AM/FRC) opened the scoring and ten minutes later, Isaksson (D/AMLC) doubled our lead. At first, our third goal by Roland Berg (AM/FLC) was ruled out and then the visitors scored almost immediately after every goal Isaksson scored in the second half, when claiming the match ball - including his fifth goal of the season: 4-2! A trip to Offenbach (Reg) in the Second Round, where we were one down after five minutes and Giorgini (SC, no first name available...) levelled the game in the tenth minute of play. Right before the half-hour mark, Carl Porter (AM/FC) chipped in with his first of the season, but the equaliser came with the break in sight. Chris Perry (AM/FL) was responsible for the first goal of the second period, Porter doubled his tally and the third shot on target from the hosts went in as well: 3-4! We travelled to Fulda in the Third Round and one of their players received a red card after 35 minutes. No goals were scored in 120 minutes of gameplay and we missed three of our ten (!) penalties: 0-0 (pens 6-7)! Back at our ground for the Quarter Final, when facing Schalke (D1). Not much between these top-flight sides, as Costa (SC) broke the deadlock late on in the opening half. The guys from Gelsenkirchen recovered from that with less than half an hour to play and ten minutes later, Markus Schmitz (AM/FC) scored his first of the season: 2-1! Away at Erfurt (D1) for a place in the Final then. In every quarter of the first half, goals from us were registered, with Costa, Berg and Isaksson (15th of 2029/2030) putting their names on the scoresheet. The last ten minutes were enough for Berg and Costa to grab their doubles, for the latter of them that was his 25th goal of the season: 0-5! For the first time since I arrived here, we went to Berlin to play the Cup Final. Osnabrck (D2) were the challengers and Koslov (AMRC) scored his 100th goal for the club after just three minutes, but they answered that only five minutes later. Inside the first thirty minutes, Berg renewed our lead and in the very first minute after the restart, he bagged home his 30th in his first season at Frankfurt. A second yellow card for one of their players, eventually resulted in a hat-trick for Berg: 1-4!!!

By not winning the first two games in the First Group of the Champions League, we made life difficult for ourselves. Picking up all twelve points in the other four fixtures against Rangers (Sco), Ajax (Hol) and Krylja Sovetov Samara (Rus), meant qualification and the top spot were ours. Scoring just as many goals against Porto (Por), Nottingham Forest (Eng) and Widzew (Pol), was enough to truly dominate this Second Group and make it ten victories on the bounce in this tournament.

Spoiler!

The First Leg of our Quarter Final versus Udinese was played in Italy. Tony Palmer (GK) saw red after three minutes and the following spot kick went in. Another three minutes later, Kjell Olofsson (FRLC) equalised and ten minutes from then, Koslov brought us in front. With thirty minutes on the clock, Juan Jos Caneda (DC) was shown his second yellow card and the resulting penalty was dispatched. Yet another three minutes later, we were behind once again. Five minutes into the second half, Joseph Bilamba (D/DMRC) was there with his first goal for Eintracht Frankfurt. Within the space of six minutes and eleven minutes after the score was evened, Olofsson completed his hat-trick and our nine men were phenomenal: 3-5! In Frankfurt, the Italians were forced to score four by an Olofsson hit (31'). They did grab one in the last half an hour and two minutes from time, Porter sealed the win for us: 2-1 (agg 7-4)! Real Madrid came out of the draw for the Semi Finals and Leg One took place in Spain. Less than ten minutes underway and a goal by Giorgini was only good enough to square the game. Not more than a total of fifteen minutes played and we were two down, only for Giorgini to score again in the first twenty minutes. Before minute 25 arrived, Olofsson reached fifteen goals for the season (14 in the CL) to bring us back again. A penalty in the second half broke our stride and in the end, we took home a two-goal deficit: 5-3... Porter and Berg repaired the damage in the first 45 minutes in Germany. We pretty much controlled the game, until Laurent Gugan (MRLC) was sent off after 75 minutes. The uppercut eventually came in the 88th minute of the game and we couldn't turn it around anymore: 2-1 (agg 5-6)...

What a (league) season it was for us! Scoring almost a century of goals, while gaining twelve more points than in the past two seasons. Costa broke the club record for most goals in one season in all competitions and Berg set a new club record for highest average rating in one season. So it was all the more frustrating that CM threw in a couple of genuine - at least in my opinion - undeserved results. And when that's the case, an unlikely consistent team happens to be in your league of course...

Spoiler!

Helped by a new USA record for most assists in one season, set by Jeff Schmidt (MC), we convincingly made it to the 2030 World Cup, which was held in Spain. Staying unbeaten in the ten matches of the Final Qualifying Group and winning nine of them, isn't easy. Costa Rica, who came along with us from the Semi Final Group, also went all the way. The Football Association of the United States were hoping to see us in the Second Round of the main tournament.

Spoiler!

The first European opponents in the Group Stage were Slovenia. Both teams had their chances to score, but were unsuccessfull in doing so: 0-0. With a Man-of-the-Match award already in his pocket, Brian Burke (SW/DC) collected two very early yellow cards against Holland. Nevertheless, Schmidt was the first player on the pitch to find the net, at the stroke of half time. Less than ten minutes after the break, Miller (SC) doubled our lead against all odds and only two minutes later, the men in orange clawed one back. With the last kick of the game, Conway decided this one and Michael Meyer (GK) was chosen as Man of the Match: 3-1! At the kick-off versus Latvia, our players were more tired than theirs and that influenced the game from the beginning. When they were two up, a goal by Miller was flagged off, but Conway did score just before the change of halves. Going two down again, proved to be too much for us: 3-1...

Spoiler!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Curiosity got the better of me and I made my way through this entire thread. I don't have any outstanding experiences or memories associated with this particular edition of CM, but it was interesting to see why people prefer it. Plenty of quality posts. Cam F's effort put in editing the database is admirable. Kudos to everyone in here.

@Verkuh - I noticed clubs from Wales, Estonia, Northern Ireland or other minors become European powerhouses in your games. How did they do that? What kind of players/money did they have?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to navpirx For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by navpirx View Post
    @Verkuh - I noticed clubs from Wales, Estonia, Northern Ireland or other minors become European powerhouses in your games. How did they do that? What kind of players/money did they have?
    No real explanation for that from me, I'm afraid... Maybe playing against teams (filled) with 'grey' players is causing as many problems for AI as it does to my teams.

vCash
    Not had that in any of my games. 0001 is so fast I have max db max leagues at all times and all those nation's teams are whipping boys like real life.

vCash
    The capacity of our Waldstadion was increased by 1,000 seats, but we were playing away at Nrnberg (D1) in the Semi Final of the League Cup. Difficult tournament for us, as we didn't score once in the previous two attempts. Against the same opposition as two years ago, the second half changed that specific statistic, with Isaksson (D/AMLC) and Berg (AM/FLC) responsible for that achievement. Maybe we can try to win a game in this cup next time too: 3-2...

It wasn't for the first time that we played Ahlen (Reg) in the Opening Round of the German Cup either. As the visiting team, we took the lead in the first half through Pedro Leite (MRC). In the second half, the only shot on target within 120 minutes of football was enough to take this game to a penalty shoot-out. Four of the regular ten were missed and scoring the sixth was enough for us to proceed: 1-1 (pens 3-4)! At home to Erfurt (D1) in the Second Round, where Gugan (MRLC) brushed away a deficit in the 24th minute already. Soon in the second half, Caneda (DC) scored at the wrong end and we were lucky to see Mike Foster (SC) equalise with only ten minutes to go. One minute later, the decisive goal went in: 2-3...

We needed just five games to qualify from the First Group of the Champions League, leaving Derby County (Eng) and Fiorentina (Ita) behind us, while Krylja Sovetov Samara (Rus) advanced as well. Starting with convincing wins against Leiria (Por) and Anderlecht (Bel) in the Second Group, made us full of confidence to show Erfurt (Ger) what we were really capable of. Unfortunately they were bothering us again, twice... That made things interesting in terms of reaching the knock-out phase or not.

Spoiler!

A trip to Estoril (Por) to play the First Leg of the Quarter Final. For the first time in his Frankfurt career, Albayrak Gven (DLC) managed to find the back of the net. At the very end of the opening half, his opening goal was levelloud out, but Costa (SC) even found time to restore our lead in the same half by pushing his season tally into double figures. Eventually, we returned to Germany with an extremely dissatisfying final result: 2-2. Again two goals by us in the first half, scored by Olofsson (FRLC) and Costa. Despite a ruled-out goal from Koslov (AMRC) in the second period, we did it: 2-0 (agg 4-2)! The First Leg of the Semi Final was also played on foreign soil and Mlaga (Esp) were the hosts this time. From our seven shots on target, not a single one was converted into a goal and their five targeted attempts, well, I don't know what to say without using inappropriate language: 3-0... The dream of an historical turnaround was destroyed by an Isaksson red card (20'), however, Federico Castellazzi (AM/FC) grabbed a double in the remaining 25 minutes of the first half. A missed penalty by Costa meant we couldn't even get a win out of this one and a late red card for them didn't change that situation either: 2-2 (agg 2-5).

In a domestic league were every team is capable of winning or losing against each other side in the same competition, we were having trouble to dominate. At least we picked up four points in two encounters with Erfurt, who weren't able to threaten us in this campaign too. I'm getting the feeling we - for whatever reason - can't escape a sensational finish to the season in the German top flight. For the third time in four years we reached this final position in the last two games of the league schedule. Astonishing stuff!!!

Spoiler!

A busy summer for Team USA, as there were two tournaments programmed for them. Kicking off with the Copa America in Uruguay. The first group game was played against Paraguay and Brian Smith (SC) needed only fourteen (!) minutes to score a hat-trick and he eventually made it four up at half time as well. After the consolation goal made its way to the scoresheet, David Miller (SC) lifted our advantage once more: 5-1! In an all-time tournament and United States record performance versus Venezuela, Steve Scott (DMLC) and Kevin Hardy (MR) put us in front before the break. Then the amazement took control of me in the second half, with both Miller (including his 40th international goal) and Smith scoring a hat-trick: 0-8!!! While we were already qualified, Jeff Schmidt (MC) and Miller both had enough energy left to produce a brace in the last thirty minutes, to make up for a two-goal disadvantage: 2-4!

Spoiler!

Ecaudor were our challengers in the Quarter Final. If I remember correctly, they were a bit more fit than we were, resulting in a speedy opening goal by them. Inside the closing twenty minutes of the game, Miller saved us and with only three minutes to go, he added some more glory to his tournament. Unbelievable that his second was cancelled out... Thirty minutes of extra time were too much for us and so we had to concede for a second time: 2-1 (aet)...

I have no idea why we were present in Brazil for the Confederations Cup. That wasn't important of course, we were in great form, so why not take a chance at this one as well. We were by far the more dangerous team when facing Portugal, but they went in front three times inside the first 25 minutes. Before changing halfs, we equalised as many times via Smith (2x, including his 30th USA hit) and Miller: 3-3. Pretty much the same story against the host nation. We created more goalscoring opportunities, Miller put us ahead twice and a late Tom Uderitz (DRL) penalty brought us another point: 3-3. Beating Ivory Coast would see us through, no matter the result in the other game. Danny O'Sullivan (MRL) produced a first-half equaliser with his very first goal for his country. Only twelve minutes left to play and Adam Wilson (AM/FC) does the same, this time to virtually guide us into the Semi Finals. Maybe it was because we weren't the better team on this day, but a last-minute goal ended everything for us: 2-2.

Spoiler!

vCash
    We were in the Semi Finals of the League Cup for the fourth season in succession. Just like in other years, we didn't get the home advantage. The nearest we came to that, was when we played on neutral territory. Nrnberg (D1) were the opposite team in 75 percent of the cases. A penalty on the half-hour mark by Olofsson (FRLC) got us in front and while the home side couldn't threaten our goalkeeper, Leite (MRC) clinched this one with two minutes to play: 0-2! The Final against Karlsruhe (D1) was played in Berlin. With ten minutes on the clock, Castellazzi (AM/FC) opened the scoring, but it didn't count. Six minutes later, we were behind, only to strike back through Maillard (FRLC). A restored deficit at half time was our part and after the break, our goalkeeper let us down, as did our strikers: 1-4...

A trip to the 'amateurs' of Lohhof in the First Round of the German Cup. Perry (AM/FL) got himself sent off inside the opening 25 minutes and less than five minutes later, Olofsson broke the deadlock. Ten minutes from the end of the opening half, a penalty meant we had to start over again. Within the first ten minutes of the second half, Berg (AM/FLC) scored what turned out to be the winner: 1-2! At home to Kaiserslautern (D1) in the Second Round, Olofsson signed up for his fifteenth goal of the season to level out a first-half opener by the visitors. Just over an hour played and he brought us in front as well. A second equaliser followed shortly afterwards and a last-minute spot kick from Aldo Perrotta (AM/FR) sealed the win for us: 3-2! A very early goal by Gugan (MRLC) and a red card for one of the hosts helped us getting beyond the Third Round versus 1. FC Kln (Reg): 0-1! In the Quarter Finals, Schalke 04 (D1) were playing at home. Again it was Gugan to score first, with his fifth of the season. After that one, Isaksson (D/AMLC) netted in both halfs to make it five for the season too: 0-3! We travelled to Mnchengladbach (D2) for our Semi Final, where Gugan and Isaksson scored before the tea and Norio Takeda (DMC) and Berg afterwards: 0-4! The Final against St. Pauli (D1) was played in Berlin and after just over twenty minutes, Michael Barlow (SC) and Giorgini (SC) delivered us a double lead. Even before the change of halfs, this game was completely turned upside down and after a demanding season, we weren't able to get back in it: 2-3...

Five out of six games were needed to pass the First Group of the Champions League and in the end we even managed to top it, above Maccabi Petach Tikva (Isr), Nottingham Forest (Eng) and Leiria (Por). On the final day of the Second Group phase, only Ferencvros (Hun) were already eliminated. Rennes (Fra), Napoli (Ita) and Frankfurt were on nine points each and we had to face the Italians in Naples. A big win for us was enough to take the second spot and reach the knock-out stages.

Spoiler!

We started the Quarter Finals at home to Antalyaspor (Tur) and it was a very poor display by us: 0-1... At the stroke of half time in Turkey, Jianbin Wu (FRC) levelled the aggregate scoreline. Ten minutes into the second half, he doubled his evening tally and about five minutes later, Castellazzi saw one ruled out once more. In the last ten minutes, things got really excited again, but we kept the away-goal advantage: 1-2 (agg 2-2)! Away to OB (Den) then for the First Leg of the Semi Final. Mattias Friberg (AM/FC) with his fifth of the season squared things in the first half and Wu equalised in the second half as well. A third one scored by the home team, proved to be too much for us: 3-2... His twentieth of the season by Berg on the hour mark had us speculating on the away-goal difference all day long: 1-0 (agg 3-3)! In short, my return to Wembley to play a Final wasn't very sweet, to say the least. We did had some chances to trouble Milan (Ita), but Palmer (GK) only palmed away one of the balls that were within his reach: 5-0...

For the first time during my spell at Eintracht Frankfurt, we succeeded in creating some sort of gap at the summit of the top-flight table in a league season. We even broke a club record by winning 1-7 at Osnabrck. With four games to spare, we were twelve points ahead of the nearest competitors. This officious championship status inspired us to promptly lose the next two home fixtures. Maybe our players were determined to rub in Karslruhe with some feelings of revenge, by lifting the trophy on their pitch.

Spoiler!

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 636970717273