39. You may not vote on this poll

16 41.03%

23 58.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 657172737475
Results 1,851 to 1,857 of 1857

Thread: CM 00/01 - Discussion

vCash
    Great to see an update mate, will read it sometime over the weekend.

Just looked and I can't believe it's been over a year since I posted about my A-Z save, will try do that over the weekend too, as I've played another season and another memorable one at that.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Heartbreak early on in the season with the World Club Championship, League Cup Final and Super Cup losses, who'd have thought a team from Macedonia would be UEFA Cup and European Super Cup winners! At least you got your hands on the Intercontinental Cup.

A good run in the German Cup Final but then more pain in a final losing on penalties.

Easy stuff in the first group stage of the Champions League, and that's some last day result in the 2nd group stage to sneak through into the quarter finals. That's some away win at Rangers to move into the last four to face another of my clubs from my save Leeds, and one foot in the final after that 5-0 win! So to the final and a tough game against Fortuna who beat you both times earlier on in the competition, but this time you get your act together to retain your trophy, great work

Well off the pace in the league though, that's got to be the aim for next season I'd have thought.

Any pics of Wu and Iwan? Seemed Wu got the goals earlier on in the season with Iwan coming on strong towards the end especially in that CL run.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Perhaps I should focus more on certain competitions instead of trying to field the best team available on every occasion.

Wu:

Spoiler!

Iwan:

Spoiler!

This young Hooper guy is quite impressive too:

Spoiler!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Ta mate, if you dont think you have the squad to focus on all competitions then yeah prioritise, otherwise Id continue to play your best side and when players get tired the replacements are good enough to compete to.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Rangers

5 signings were made over the course of the season as we hoped to not only continue dominating domestically but also conquer Europe after making the Semi Finals last season. The biggest signing was that of Mario Gotze from Betis for 25m, while England duo Jon Flanagan and Byron Bubb joined for 1.4m and a bosman from Liverpool and Southampton respectively as the three signings made before the season kicked off, while Jack Wilshere joined from Arsenal for 4.5m in October and finally Kris Boyd in March from Velez for 2m when it became clear back up striker Ross McCormack was not going to sign a new contract before his existing one ran out in the summer. Leaving the club were six players who's deals would not be renewed, mostly youth but there was a 34 year old Keith Gillespie amongst them.

League

If I told you it took till the 24th April to lose our first game you get some idea how easy the title was retained, as we finished 33 pts clear of 2nd placed Celtic as we landed a sixth title in a row.

Scottish Cup

After last years disappointment in going out in the last 8 after lifting the cup the previous two years I was looking to once again win the trophy. In both domestic cups the last couple of season I have gone with a second string/youth side but this year with many of the youths gone I would be fielding what I'd consider a stronger side although not my best, and things got off well in this competition as we overcame Arbroath 2-0 at home before overcoming Kilmarnock away in an exhilirating 3-2 win. An away trip to Inverness Caledonian Thistle promised to be a tricky tie as they were flying high in the Championship, and that's exactly what it was as the home side took the lead just before the hour mark but a late double from Ross McCormack and Edgar Davids saw us through to the Semi Finals to play Celtic.

I named a full strength side for the game at Hampden Park, the only exception being the injured Davids with Jack Wilshere replacing him in the DMC role, and we chose now to put in our worst performance of the season We actually had more shots than our rivals with 9 to their 8, but only 3 of ours were on target compared to their 7, with them converting three of these in our heaviest defeat of the season, and when Skalidis was stretchered off it made a bad day even worse, thankfully he would only be out for two weeks though. Celtic went on to win the Final over St. Mirren 3-0.

League Cup

After losing the last two finals of the League Cup I was keen to win this trophy again but we were out before we even started as we lost 1-0 at home to Dundee in our first game in the competition. Celtic would beat St. Johnstone in the Final 1-0 as they won their first trophy of the season.

Champions League

One word "frustrating". The first group stage pitted us against Real Madrid, Shelbourne and one of my alter ego's former clubs Ankaragucu and we breezed through with 16 points from our 6 games, our only dropped points in a 3-3 home draw with the Turkish side in gameweek 2, but unfortunately Ankaragucu couldn't join us in the next round as they tied with Real Madrid on 7 points, with Real Madrid's 6-3 and 4-1 wins over them giving them the advantage. The draw for the 2nd Group Stage was a crazy one, first out were Real Madrid who we'd just been in a group with (winning 2-0 away and 2-1 at home), then out came rivals Celtic as they made it through their group with Barcelona, and then finally my alter ego's current side Dusseldorf! Once again we eased through with five wins and one loss to set up a Quarter Final tie with Schalke 04. We would travel to Germany for the first leg and a Skalidis hat-trick gave us a 3-1 win and one foot in the Semi Finals, and although Schalke scored early at Ibrox we were never in any danger, but a 4-4 draw on the night made sure the crowd got their money's worth as we went through 7-5 on aggregate.

In the Semi Final draw would be ourselves, Barcelona (3 times Winners in the last 6 years), Ajax (the current Champions) and Celta Vigo, and on paper we got probably the easiest tie (although Celta Vigo are a bogey side for me). This time we were at home first but when we were 2-0 up by half time I was more than happy, unfortunately we couldn't extend our lead and Celta got a late away goal which could be decisive. That away goal became even more important when Jesuli handed the Spaniards the lead on 12 mins in the return game, but when Skalidis found the net in the opening stages of the second half it was advantage us again especially given that we were now in control of the game with wave after wave of attacks but going into the dying moments it looked like we would be in the Final, that was until Jesuli got his second of the game in injury time and we would be going to Extra Time Things immediately didn't go to plan when Fernando Ricksen was shown a straight red for going through Jesuli in the first few minutes (why didn't he do that in the 90th minute ), but still we stood resolute against the 11 men of Celta, but just as penalties loomed up stepped Benni McCarthy to drive the ball into the net, and with just a minute left there was no time for us to grab an equaliser, if we had the mental strength to muster one I don't know, and it would be Semi Final heartbreak once again in a game we had well and truly dominated. Celta went on to win the trophy as they beat Barcelona 2-1 in the Final, another late show from them with their goals coming in the 84th and 90th minute.

Player of the Season

For once this would not be going to Skalidis, who did continue to average more than a goal a game but not by many with only 56 in 41 games, and he also submitted a transfer request during the season eager for a new challenge but there have been no takers despite being valued at just 5m and a record of 530 goals in 290 (3) games for Rangers and still only 28, not that I'm complaining! Instead Player of the Season would be my big signing Mario Gotze who managed 20 goals and 13 assists in 29 games, the only downside him missing 11 weeks of the season with 3 separate Groin strains although my physio team ensure me he will rarely succumb to injury, we shall see.

Aims for next Season

Total Domination obviously Winning the league should be a given really as we have by far the strongest strong in Scotland, but I'm eager to win at least one of the domestic cups as it's been two years since we last won the Scottish Cup and three years since a League Cup win. With 4 years left with Rangers (moving on after winning 10-in-a-row) I want to win at least one Champions League before I go, and although my squad is the best in Scotland, it is far from the best in Europe so I'll be looking to splash the cash to close that gap.
    Rangers

Well I said I was going to spend big and that's exactly what I did as over the season I spent 69m on 8 players, with the 28m spent on 25 year old Gareth Bale from Southampton the biggest signing. He was joined by Marco Reus from Dusseldorf for 18m, England centre back Gary Blake for 12m from West Ham, England right back John Jones from Chelsea for 5m, versatile Scottish Defender Mark Robertson from Dundee for 1m and James McFadden on a bosman from Leicester.

Going out the door were 7 players, Gavin McCann, John Fleck, Jake Crowe, Ross McCormack, Craig Thompson and Brian McLean all left after their contract expired, while the sale of unhappy left winger Dale Taylor to Man City brought in 20m. Unfortunately during the season we did lose record scorer Anastasios Skalidis who left for Hamburg for 5m as someone finally came calling for his services, the Greek striker left having scored an unbelievable 556 goals from 305(3) games, so we were in need of another striker and we found our man in his fellow countrymen Alexandros Papadopoulos who joined for the same fee from Anderlecht. Our business weren't quite done yet though as defender Christoph Metzelder was frustrated by a lack of first team action and so he joined my alter ego's side Fiorentina with their unhappy defender Angelo Schembri coming to us in a direct swap.

League

What a difference from last season! For a change we had an actual title race which was only settled on the penultimate weekend of the season! Thankfully it was ourselves who retained our title but not without a scare as Celtic finished just nine points behind us with them only claiming one point from their final three games (which included a 6-1 home defeat to us when we were only one point ahead of them with three to play).

Scottish Cup

Our campaign started at home to Peterhead who were 2nd in the Championship at the time and could have proved to been tricky and so it appeared as they were 2-0 up at half time! Thankfully some stern words at the break did the job and Kris Boyd fired in four goals with Barry Ferguson also scoring from the spot to give us a 5-2 win on the night. Next up was a very tricky away trip to Easter Road to face Hibs but a strong side turned in a fantastic performance to run out 5-1 winners and put us through to the Quarter Finals were a kind draw saw us face League One strugglers Berwick at home. Once again we fell behind to lower league opposition but again we rallied to run out 2-1 winners, Edgar Davids with the winner in the 86th minute and we would head to Hampden Park for the Semi Finals.

Both last four ties were all Premiership affairs, Aberdeen took on Dundee, while we faced Falkirk which on paper looking at the league table was the easier tie. It was another tough game as we went behind in the first half, but second half goals from Papadopoulos and Reus saw us through to our first Scottish Cup Final in three seasons, were we would take on Aberdeen who also won their game 2-1. There was only one team in it on the day but we had to wait till the second half before finally getting our nose in front, as a brace from Raheem Sterling gave us the trophy.

League Cup

Did we make it a treble though? St. Johnstone at home were up first and we ran out easy 6-2 winners thanks to two a piece for Boyd and McFadden, while we also eased past St. Mirren 5-1 in the last eight to make the Semi Final stage, this time Gareth Bale grabbing a brace. The top four teams in the Scottish Premiership at the time made up the Semi Finals, we would face Hibs while Celtic would take on Aberdeen, and a double from Papadopoulos and a late strike from Jack Wilshere was enough to see us through to the Final, where we would take on rivals Celtic who squeezed past Aberdeen 1-0.

We got off to the perfect start when Cunningham scored after just 3 minutes but Celtic equalised soon after, and despite them going down to 10 men when Richie Wellens was sent off midway through the first half we still couldn't find away past Steve Croudsen in the Celtic goal. To extra time and some very tired players but one man was still going strong and that man was Papadopoulos and two goals from him in the extended period gave us the cup and the domestic treble for the first time in four years.

Champions League

Our Champions League campaign was almost over at the first hurdle until some very late drama. Things started well enough as we recorded 7 points from our opening 3 games, beating Liverpool 4-3 away on matchday one, drawing 1-1 at home to Stuttgart, and then winning away at Mouscron 4-0 to leave us pretty at the top of the group, and then the wheels came off. We lost 3-2 at home to Mouscron (where 3-0 down at one point), 3-0 at home to Liverpool in our next game and with 89 mins on the clock in Stuttgart 2-1 down as well and heading out thanks to Liverpool's better head-to-head record against us with them currently drawing 1-1 at home to Mouscron and one goal could swing it in our favour (or their's), and miraculously Sterling scored for us with the last kick of the game as we finished a point ahead of Liverpool.

Things didn't get any easier in the 2nd Group Stage as we drew Barcelona, Roma and CSKA Moscow, and after four games we had just three points, a 2-0 away win over CSKA on matchday two. A marvelous hatrick from Papadopolous at the Olimpico gave us a 3-1 win over Roma, and despite us only drawing 1-1 at home to CSKA, Barcelona's 2-0 win over Roma saw us sneak through yet another group stage, Barcelona of course finished top with 6 wins from 6 games.

We faced Schalke in the Quarter Finals and a 4-2 win in the home leg put us in a good position, however the two away goals were a concern, even more so when they took an early lead in the return game. We equalised shortly after, but once again they took the lead only for us to cancel them out again and get two away goals of our own and at half time we were 6-4 up on aggregate. Two from Papadopoulos made it 8-4 on agg and hand us four away goals, and despite conceding twice late on to draw 4-4 on the night we were through to a fourth consecutive Champions League Semi Final.

In the last four would be ourselves, Zaragoza, Ajax (winners two years ago) and Stuttgart and it would be the Spanish side we would face, with us at home first. Veteran David Beckham opened the scoring for the visitors on 9 mins but we leveled through Papadopolous on 27, only for Beckham not to score just once but twice more as his hatrick gave them a 3-1 win and us a big task to qualify for the final. It was Zaragoza's turn to freeze at home now though and midway though the second half we were 2-0 up and things got even better when Fabio Aurelio was sent off with still 25 mins to go! We searched for the decisive goal that would take us through but a soft penalty to the home side saw them go 4-3 up on aggregate and while looking for a late goal that would take the game to extra time we were hit by two sucker punches to somehow lose the game 3-2, and exit 6-3 on aggregate.

Player of the Season

Gotze once again deserves credit with 14 goals and 18 assists in 38 appearances, while his midfield partner Gareth Cunningham could also boast figures of 12 goals and 17 assists from 30 games to be in with a shout, but after arriving to fill the big shoes of Skalidis and in his debut season in Scotland, Alexandros Papadopoulos took to it like a duck to water, scoring 50 goals in 33 games with 35 of them coming in just 19 league appearances (including a hatrick in that 6-1 away game at Celtic Park when a loss would have seen our rivals go two points ahead of us with two to play) , while he also scored a memorable double in extra time of the League Cup Final to ensure we lifted the trophy over rivals Celtic.

Aims for next Season

That elusive Champions League title! We've gone out at the Semi Final the last four seasons so hopefully fifth time is the charm, followed by a win in the final as I've only got three more cracks at it before leaving the club. Obviously win the league to carry on to 10-in-a-row, while defending at least one of the domestic cups would be nice.
    Last edited by AMC; 05-01-19 at 01:22 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    No complaints about the season in Scotland there!!!

I'm sure you can do better in Europe with that bunch of class players!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Fingers crossed mate, its really starting to annoy me!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 657172737475