39. You may not vote on this poll

16 41.03%

23 58.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 748081828384
Results 2,076 to 2,079 of 2079

Thread: CM 00/01 - Discussion

Stuttgart

After being sacked by both Juventus and Rayo Vallecano last season, Stuttgart where the third club to offer me a job for the 2013/14 season, but given the Chairman had a patience stat of 1 like the Juventus and Rayo Vallecano's Chairmen, who knows how long I maybe here for? There was 6 games left of the season were we recorded 2 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses giving us a 7th place finish, and now I had the summer to bring in the players I wanted and move on some of the ones I didn't. Unfortunately money was thin on the ground, and so I had to move mainly for players on a free, as 16 players signed (12 before the season started), 12 of which were on bosmans with the other four arriving for a combined 8.25m, the signing of goalkeeper Markus Proll the most expensive at 4.3m as a number 1 was one of the key areas we needed to strengthen. Heading out the door were 12 players for a combined 6.7m, as you can see it really was a case of sell before I could buy.

The squad was still some way behind the best in the division so I was hoping for a good cup run, but I also decided I would keep an eye out for any jobs where I needed to tick a letter off with. We started the season brilliantly winning 10 of our first 11 games, drawing the other as we made our way past Viking, Middlesbrough and Lyon in the Inter-Toto Cup to qualify for the Europa League properly, before we came crashing back down to Earth in a pulsating 5-4 defeat at home to Kaiserslautern. We regathered and continued to progress in the Europa League and German Cup, while also comfortably mid table in the league, and come the start of the December we were 11th in the league, 10 points behind leaders Freiburg, but 12 points clear of the relegation zone, while in the cups we had made it through to the quarter finals of the German Cup and last 32 of the Europa League, when an opportunity presented itself which I couldn't turn down, offering me a chance to tick off a letter and an outside chance of a trophy this season, as I headed north to Hamburg.

My decision was further justified as my replacement Michael Ballack lasted less than 4 months in the job, as they went out of the Europa League in the next round, lost in the semis of the German Cup and unbelievably relegated from the Bundesliga, only managing 11 pts from their remaining 20 league games!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

Hamburg

League

I took over a Hamburg side currently in 8th place in the 2. Bundesliga, 9 points behind leaders Monchengladbach but with 19 league games left in the season there was plenty of time to overhaul that difference. In order to do that I needed to strengthen the squad I inherited, both in numbers and quality and in total I brought 12 players in, 5 on loan for the rest of the season and 7 permanently for a combined 2m, the pick of which was the 1.5m signing of Brazilian midfielder Raul who I had managed at Milan when we won the Serie A and Italian Cup double. It took till my 10th game till we tasted defeat, but we had also drawn too many throwing away leads a few times which reminded me a lot of Hamburg IRL at the end of last season when they through away at least a playoff place. We returned to winning ways in our next game, but when we lost at home to Trier the title looked out of the question as with 6 games to play we were in 5th place, 6 points behind Wolfsburg, and I believed only 6 wins from our final 6 games would give us any chance of winning the league, especially given our last two games were at home to Wolfsburg and Munster who were currently 2nd.

We won our next three games to move into the top three but despite Wolfsburg dropping points, we still needed the new leaders Munster to drop points for us to have any chance of winning the league, and it was here I made a decision. Like I found at Stuttgart, the Bundesliga is an extremely tough league and if we did get promoted but not as champions I imagined it would take at least three seasons to challenge for the Bundesliga, therefore I decided if Munster didn't drop points in their next game then I would ensure we didn't go up in 2nd or 3rd as to have a full season at the 2. Bundesliga title next season. Sods law then that Munster did exactly that losing 3-1 away at Osnabruck, so we now had two massive finals against Wolfsburg who were now in 4th, and Munster who were still top but who we could leap frog into first place if we won both these games.

Wolfsburg had been stumbling, losing two and drawing once in their last three games and it was a good time for us to play them, but when they scored before half time to lead 1-0 I wasn't thinking that! Thankfully we were much better in the second half and scored three goals to win 3-1 which ensured our promotion to the Bundesliga, but sadly Munster didn't drop points and so we had to beat them next week, a draw wouldn't do. We dominated from the first whistle but couldn't score and when Munster were presented with their first chance on target they made no mistake - a real sucker punch indeed! Heads could easily have dropped but they didn't and within a minute we were level through striker Dirk Schroder and we went into the break honours even. It was more of the same in the second half but still we couldn't take the lead, and after passing up several good chances I thought we were done. I rolled one last roll of the dice, throwing everyone forward into the Munster box apart from our keeper and centre backs as we went direct, and with the last kick of the game we were given one last chance which Schroder put away, and somehow in the last minute of the season we had won the title!

In 20 years of playing this game and CM 01/02 it's probably the tightest and most exciting title race I've ever seen or been apart of, with 5 teams all in the reckoning with 5 games to go.

Player of the Season

Despite midfielders Raul and Mohammed Sheliah Al-Owairan averaging higher than Dirk Schroder, it could only be the German striker after his last minute goal gave us the title.

I didn't have long to wait for a new job, as I returned to Italy to take over Napoli, where I was hoping my stay would be more like my time with Milan as opposed to my tenure at Juventus when I was sacked without playing a game

Last edited by AMC; 24-10-20 at 05:32 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

How dramatic, but you did it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

AMC

Velez

Just over three months after leaving Rangers I finally had a new job as I arrived in Argentina to take over Velez Sarsfield. Unforutnately the transfer window had already closed and wouldn't reopen until the start of next season so permanent signings were out the window (forgive the pun ) and so we had to make do with loan signings. The squad I inherited though was very good although a little light on numbers and so over the season I brought in 7 players, mostly defenders as I hoped to improve our defensive options.

Opening Stage

I took over a side currently in 13th place after 8 games, 10 points behind leaders Huracan, and the club had also been eliminated from the Copa Mercosur after finishing bottom of their group. As fate would have it my first game would be away at Huracan, no pressure then! We made a great start with Lucas Castroman scoring after 4 mins, but 10 mins later he got himself sent off and after an onslaught from the home side we finally conceded an equaliser and I would have to settle with a draw to start things off. It didn't take long to find our stride though and we won our next 7 games and we were up to 3rd and there was a very small chance we could still win the title! That was short lived as we lost our next game 3-2 at home to Italiano, but then hit back with a 7-2 away win at San Martin, before closing the season out with a 2-2 draw at home to San Lorenzo, still a record of 26 pts out of a possible 30 gave me great hope going into the Closing Stage, if only I arrived sooner though!

Closing Stage

After just missing out on the Opening Stage title our attentions turned to the Closing Stage, and as stated with only loan signings allowed for teams the majority of squads would be no different to the Opening Stage, something that gave me confidence given our points per game record since I took over was the best in the league, hopefully that would continue. It was a mixed start for us though as from our first 6 games we had only recorded 2 wins, 3 draws and a loss which saw us down in 11th place, but we soon turned the tide and won our next five games to move up to 2nd behind San Lorenzo. Once again we hit a sticky patch with five points from our next four games but we still stayed 2nd, and with San Lorenzo away in our last game it had a very familiar feel to what I had just experienced with Hamburg. Before then we had three games, which we won, but so did San Lorenzo and so only a win against them would give us the title. 90 mins away then from yet another dramatic last day title win, I was hoping for the same outcome as with Hamburg but maybe without all the drama! Veteran midfielder Andres D'Alessandro opened the scoring after 20 mins, and then 15 mins later his fellow midfielder Fabian Bustos doubled our lead. San Lorenzo were shell shocked as were their fans and they showed no sign of a comeback at all, and we ran out comfortable winners to lift the Championship.

Copa Libertadores

The Copa Libertadores wasn't high on my agenda, obviously I weren't going to turn down a trophy but my focus was on the league, but while we were in it I would give it a good go. Starting with the group stage we topped our group ahead of Universitario of Peru, Emelec of Ecuador and Boca Juniors recording thirteen points from our six games. In the round of 16 we faced Defensor Sporting from Uruguay and after drawing 1-1 at home we turned on the style to win 6-2 in the away leg to qualify for the quarter finals. Brazil's Coritiba would be our opponents and it was comfortable wins at home and away as we recorded a 7-3 aggregate win and all of a sudden we were down to four. We had sealed the Closing Stage title three weeks prior to our Semi Final against Colombian's Atletico Nacional and so I was free to move on already, but I fancied a crack at winning it now I'd got this far, plus there were no jobs available 2-0 up after 19 mins at home in the first leg it was all going so well, and then we had a man sent off and come full time it was 2-2. To the away leg then and we dominated them from start to finish but found no way past their keeper (who obviously got man of the match) and with everyone pushed up field for the last 10 mins in search of a winner, we were hit by a sucker punch and we were out. After the game I resigned from Velez as I looked for another job, hopefully I won't have too long to wait.

Player of the Season

There were three fantastic strikers at the club when I took over, and truth be told Cristian Montenegro was third in line out of the three but I ensured they all got a chance and he seized his in style, and come the end of the season he had 38 goals in 43 games as he scored the goals that led us to the title, even more remarkable given he had only scored 3 goals in 11 games before I came in!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 748081828384