Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hennes Weisweiler: Part 2 - Borussia Mönchengladbach

Hennes Weisweiler: Part 2 - Borussia Mönchengladbach

A quick recap of my 11 years at Viktoria Köln.

June 2019: Became Viktoria Köln manager
    2020 8th in 3.Liga Nord
    2021 2nd in 3.Liga Nord (promoted)
    2022 12th in 2.Bundesliga
    2023 11th in 2.Bundesliga
    2024 3rd in 2.Bundesliga (promoted)
    2025 7th in Bundesliga
    2026 10th in Bundesliga
    2027 5th in Bundesliga
    2028 12th in Bundesliga, Europa League Semi Finalists
    2029 6th in Bundesliga
    2030 5th in Bundesliga, Europa League Winners, DFB Pokal Winners

During Hennes Weisweiler's time at Borussia Mönchengladbach, the club earned the nickname, 'The Foals' due to the coach's policy of using young, energetic players, playing fast, aggressive football.

In 1970 they won the Bundesliga for the first time, then became the first club to retain the title in 1971. They won the DFB Pokal in 1973, and in his final season at the club, won the Bundesliga for a third time, along with the UEFA Cup.

Some well known names came through at Mönchengladbach, such as Jupp Heynckes, Gunter Netzer, and Bertie Vogts. He also introduced Allan Simonsen, who went on to win the Ballon D'Or.

He later went on to manage Barcelona and 1.FC Köln, which will be the third and fourth parts of this challenge.

My Aim

I would like to emulate Hennes Weisweiler as much as I can by winning 3 Bundesliga titles, 1 DFB Pokal, and 1 European trophy. It would be desirable to win back to back Bundesligas, but not essential. It would also be desirable to win the European trophy in the same season as the Bundesliga, but again this is not essential. If we end up good enough to win the Champions League instead of the Europa League, this will be fine.

The restrictions I'm placing on myself in order to play this challenge in the spirit of Weisweiler, is to only use the pre loaded formations, using a 'Direct' approach. I won't be customising the training regimes, and I can only sign players aged 19 or under, who have reasonable figures for the following attributes. Acceleration, Aggression, Bravery, Determination, Pace, Stamina, Strength, and Work Rate.

My Approach

The club were Bundesliga champions and DFB Pokal winners in 2026, but have only managed 7th placed finishes in the last two seasons. The chairman is impatient, but there is a decent transfer budget. I've had a quick look at the players, and I'm particularly impressed with what we have in terms of attacking midfielders and strikers. We will need to improve defensively, so initially I will focus on signing defenders. There's a lot of young players at the club who have come through the academy. Some look like they might develop into decent squad players, but most aren't up to scratch, so I'll be looking to reduce the squad size by offloading a lot of them.

I want to embrace some of the senior players at the club, many of which are in their early thirties. They will hopefully have the consistency we need to remain in the top half of the table in the short term, and I can phase in the younger players that I sign over time.

Expectations

This is fair enough. In my first season, I hope to make signings that see us challenge for a top four finish, but a similar season to the couple that I've just had at Viktoria Köln will be fine.

Here's a few pics providing details about the club.

As you can see, Borussia Mönchengladbach are a very well supported club, and had the 5th highest average attendance behind Dortmund, Bayern, Schalke, and Hertha Berlin.

We currently have the 3rd highest wage bill in the Bundesliga, paying out £138M a year. This could probably do with being a little lower, but I won't worry too much about this in my first season. It's less than half of the £288M income the club received last season after player sales.

My top earner is on £15.5M a year. At Viktoria Köln my top earner was Xaysavath Souvanhansok on £3M a year. My top three earners combined wage at Borussia Mönchengladbach is higher than the entire wage bill of Viktoria Köln.

In my next update, I'll introduce you to who I feel are the key players at the club, and provide details of our forthcoming fixtures.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:07 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Got a big 'ol club here!

75k capacity!

Loads of cash!

Leaking too many goals last few years - that needs sorting

Let the battle commence

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Meet Some Players

Here are the players that I've inherited that I expect to be important players for the club this season. I think there's enough quality there to put out a good starting XI, but there's not a lot of quality in depth. This is something I'll be addressing over the next few weeks.

Lafont joined the club 3 years ago on a Bosman. He has very good attributes in all the right places, and is first choice keeper for France.

~~~~~

Firpo joined the club 4 years ago from Real Sociedad for £31M. In terms of average rating, he's been one of the best left backs in the Bundesliga over the past 2 seasons, and provided 7 assists from 21 starts last season.

~~~~~

Mancini joined the club 2 and a half years ago from Atletico Madrid for £19.25M. An experienced defender, who should do well for us in the short term. Very good attributes in all the right places.

~~~~~

Moukoudi joined the club 18 months ago from Reims for £5.25M. He's been a squad player during this time, but I'll be looking to play him regularly in the short term.

~~~~~

Schumacher is an academy product who has played just a handful of games for the first team. He's the most gifted young player at the club. The low determination is a concern, but with the real Hennes Weisweiler's reputation for giving youth a chance, I will certainly look to provide him with opportunities.

~~~~~

San Roman joined the club 3 years ago from Almeria for £42M. Just look at his acceleration, pace, crossing, and dribbling. Also his passing, creativity, and mental attributes. During his time at the club he has started 90 Bundesliga games, scored 24 goals, and provided 27 assists.

~~~~~

Patrick Helmes signed Aouar this summer for £23.5M from Nürnberg. Previously he played for Wolfsburg, and a couple of seasons ago started 25 Bundesliga games, scored 7 goals, and provided 14 assists.

~~~~~

Neuhaus joined the club 12 years ago, so a long serving player who was an important part of the double winning side of 2026. The German international has excellent attributes, and last season he started 28 Bundesliga games, scoring 9 goals, and providing 7 assists, which helped him finish runner up for the German Midfielder of the Year award.

~~~~~

Nkunku joined the club 6 years ago for £36M from Schalke. He was another member of the double winning squad of 2026. He was just a squad player last season, but I like the look of him, and hope that he can do a job for us.

~~~~~

Patrick Helmes paid £34.5M to Hertha Berlin this summer for Kaastrup. Very good figure for Decisions, excellent for Dribbling, and good for Crossing. Hopefully he'll provide plenty of assists from the right.

~~~~~

Sargent arrived 2 years ago from Dortmund for £44M. During his time at the club, he's started 58 Bundesliga games, scored 34 goals, and provided 7 assists. Patrick Helmes made him captain this summer.

~~~~~

Patrick Helmes paid £73M to Boca this summer for Miranda. Could this be Messi's regen? Messi is a coach at Valencia, but his playing career ended in 2023, the same year that Miranda's career began. If so, what a touch!

Forthcoming Fixtures

As you can see, I arrive at the club in the midst of a Europa League qualifying campaign. If we can get past Nantes, who finished 7th in Ligue 1 last season, then we go into a play off to try to qualify for the Europa League. My first Bundesliga game with Borussia Mönchengladbach will be at newly promoted Greuther Fürth.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:09 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Miranda and San Roman (David Silva ?) look the business. Some of the others look to be in the final years and I would not be surprised if more than 1 retire before your first game.
    I think you are probably going to have a lot of work to do in the first couple of years rebuilding an aging squad. Just hope you can find enough U20s to keep the chairman happy.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

A fairly healthy transfer budget and hopefully there will be enough quality interested in coming to Monchengladbach. When are you scheduled to play Viktoria Koln? Who has replaced you?

Got to love that traditional Argentinian name - Brian (??)

A lot of players there in 30's

But some BELTERS there that Kingsley mentioned

For sure a cracking first XI that should push for top 4

And a load of cash - kid in a sweet shop time!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Miranda and San Roman (David Silva ?) look the business. Some of the others look to be in the final years and I would not be surprised if more than 1 retire before your first game.
    I think you are probably going to have a lot of work to do in the first couple of years rebuilding an aging squad. Just hope you can find enough U20s to keep the chairman happy.
    Crikey.If I've got the regens of Messi and Silva, then what a stroke. Whoever they are, they look the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Renitor View Post
    A fairly healthy transfer budget and hopefully there will be enough quality interested in coming to Monchengladbach. When are you scheduled to play Viktoria Koln? Who has replaced you?

Got to love that traditional Argentinian name - Brian (??)
    I'll check when we play Viktoria Köln when I get home. I was thinking that. The greatest player in the world has regenerated into a Brian 😄😄😄

This guy has replaced me at Viktoria Köln. He won Serie A last season with Lazio.

We play Viktoria Köln at home in November, and away in April.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:11 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Transfer News

Players Out

I've managed to offload 5 players, bringing in almost £56M. Here are two that have departed.

Both offers for these players came out of the blue. I hadn't transfer listed them. I think that £17.25M is good money for a 31 year old defender with just 14 for Positioning.

I was a bit torn with regards to Schumacher. On one hand, I wanted to embrace the talented young player, in the style of Hennes Weisweiler, but on the other hand, his Determination attribute is very low, and his contract had just under two years to run. I'd previously tried to negotiate a new contract with him, but his wage demands were very high. On balance, I think that getting £32M for him was a good bit of business.

Players In

The signings made in August are the ones made by me. I spent around £93M on 11 players. They consist of 1 keeper, 1 right back, 1 left back, 4 centre backs, 1 DMC, 1 MC, 1 AMRC, and 1 striker. I also gave a contract to a left back that was promoted from the academy. Here are a selection of them below.

I gave myself two objectives in this transfer window. Improve the first team, and invest in long term replacements for the senior players. I think that the centre backs that I've bought will help us to achieve both of these objectives. The keeper looks like a good long term replacement for Alban Lafont.

Because I need to build a multiple title winning squad at Borussia Mönchengladbach, I need to ensure that I'm bringing in REAL quality. There were quite a few players that looked decent, and that would also be a decent price, but would they have ultimately developed into players that can win us titles?

With this in mind, I had about four or five first choice targets in different positions (mainly attacking) that I went all out to get. The problem is, quality comes at a premium price, and I missed out on all but one of them. The one that I did get was Igor Bosnjak, but I do wonder if I've paid well over the odds for him. The ones that I missed out on would have been even more expensive, but I may try again when the transfer market reopens in January.

Finding a balance between overspending, and not being too cautious, will be key to successful recruitment. Once I have a better idea of how much money we're making, I'll be able to decide what level of spending the club can handle. I think I also need to be patient when it comes to securing the right kind of player.

My next update will provide details of our match results for August.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:12 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

How do you go about finding these good youngsters? An insight would be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Renitor View Post
    How do you go about finding these good youngsters? An insight would be very useful.
    CM Scout. A useful tool which saves time trawling the database. I hide the CA/PA and Scout Rating columns, to avoid having an advantage, and i only look at attributes that you can see in the game. None of the hidden ones, though I believe Nick's Patcher let's you do that now.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Rossi and Bosjniak!

Understand why you sold the 2 guys even though both good

Looks like an awesome squad you have - but will you know your best XI - that could be your issue until you find it

What formation and instructions - any idea yet?

What's the squad size? Will indeed be good to see what monthly finances are but mahoosive stadium should mean good home receipts

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Rossi and Bosjniak!

Understand why you sold the 2 guys even though both good

Looks like an awesome squad you have - but will you know your best XI - that could be your issue until you find it

What formation and instructions - any idea yet?

What's the squad size? Will indeed be good to see what monthly finances are but mahoosive stadium should mean good home receipts
    My XI will evolve over time, as I want us to take the Europa League and the DFB Pokal seriously. One player that will probably walk into the side whenever he's fit is Brian Miranda (probable Messi regen).

My predecessor Patrick Helmes used the 343 formation at the end of last season, and for the 5-0 win over Verona shortly before I arrived, so I'll give that a go, with of course the direct approach.

We currently have a 46 man squad. 6 of those are surplus to requirements, and on the transfer list. Another 10 will probably be released at the end of the season. I probably need a couple more transfer windows before the squad starts to look how I'd like it to.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

August 2030

Results

Europa League Qualifying, 3rd Round 2nd Leg

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 Nantes 1 (2-1 on aggregate)

This was the starting line-up for my first game in charge. I went with the 343 formation, as that's what Patrick Helmes used in the recent win over Verona.

We got off to a great start, when Junior Firpo made a good run down the left, then put a low cross into the box towards young Christian Schumacher who had surged into the area, received the ball, then nutmegged his opponent, and hit a high and hard shot towards goal to give us a 2nd minute lead.

We had numerous chances to double our lead during the remainder of the first half, but the Nantes keeper kept us at bay.

The second half started well, when a good passing move involving Magnus Kaastrup, Brian Miranda, and Unai San Roman resulted in the Spanish playmaker spraying the ball out left to Firpo, who headed the ball into the path of Schumacher, who hit another high and hard shot towards goal to double our lead in the 48th minute.

Nantes pulled on back with their only effort on target in the 64th minute, though we did have a couple of scares when they hit the woodwork twice in the second half.

Overall though, we were the better side, had 65% possession, and deserved the win. We will play Banik Ostrava in the play off.

Bundesliga

Greuther Fürth 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2

I made one change for the trip to newly promoted Greuther Fürth. New signing Moritz Schmitz came in at left wingback for the injured Junior Firpo, and we continued with the 343 formation.

We dominated the first half, and took the lead in the 30th minute when Brian Miranda fired in an excellent free kick from 20 yards out.

Just before half time, we won another free kick, and this time Miranda turned provider when he sent the ball into the area for Magnus Kaastrup to head us into a 2-0 lead, and score his first goal for the club.

The second half was a bit scrappy, but we contained the hosts well, to see out a solid opening day win.

Europa League Qualifying, Play Off 1st Leg

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Banik Ostrava 0

We were unchanged for the visit of Banik Ostrava. The first half was complete domination, with 14 shots at their goal, without reply. Harold Moukoudi intercepted a pass, and hit a direct ball towards Josh Sargent, who nodded it to Houssem Aouar. The captain made himself available for the return pass, found himself in space, and hit a speculative shot towards goal, to fire us into a 16th minute lead.

Just before half time, Unai San Roman received a loose ball in midfield, then sent the ball into the area for Sargent to head us into a 2-0 lead.

We took our foot off the gas in the second half. Moritz Schmitz went off injured in the 61st minute. In the 79th minute his replacement, Christopher Nkunku, received the ball from Magnus Kaastrup, made a good run down the left, then delivered a cross into the box for Man of the Match Sargent to get above the keeper, and head us into a 3-0 lead to complete his hat-trick.

A comfortable win.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 5 FC Köln 1

A crowd of 74498 saw me make 3 changes for my first home Bundesliga game in charge of Borussia Mönchengladbach, against an FC Köln side that finished 9th last season. Moritz Schmitz was injured, so I brought in Christopher Nkunku. I'd sold Christian Schumacher to Frankfurt, so brought in Amadou Haidara, and Houssem Aouar was knackered after the Banik Ostrava game, so I brought in Florian Neuhaus, and moved Unai San Roman into the AML role.

We were rampant in the first half. In the 17th minute, Haidara picked up a loose ball in midfield, and sent it into the area for Josh Sargent to head us into the lead.

Three minutes later, Harold Moukoudi intercepted a pass, and hit a 30 yard pass into the path of Magnus Kaastrup, surging forward from the right wingback position. The Dane headed it to Neuhaus, who lobbed the ball into the area for Haidara to drive in a low shot, which found the back of the net to double our lead.

Two minutes later, Haidara took control of a loose ball, and played it wide to Kaastrup, who sent a cross into the area towards Brian Miranda, who volleyed us into a 3-0 lead.

The visitors were shell shocked, and a minute later, Sargent found German playmaker Neuhaus, who moved forward with the ball, beat three men, and blasted an excellent shot into the top corner to make it 4-0.

In the 38th minute, a good passing move involving Man of the Match Neuhaus, Miranda, and Haidara, ended with San Roman receiving the ball on the left. He then crossed to the far post, for Sargent to head us into a 5-0 lead, and score his second goal of the game. FC Köln pulled one back from a corner in the 56th minute, but rarely threatened us in a comfortable win.

Europa League Qualifying, Play Off 2nd Leg

Banik Ostrava 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 0 (3-0 on aggregate)

We were unchanged for this game, and contained our hosts superbly. We had chances, but were wasteful in front of goal. We have to settle for a draw, but it's enough to qualify for the Europa League, where we'll have a tricky opening round tie against St. Étienne, who finished 4th in Ligue 1 last season.

DFB Pokal 1st Round

Cottbus 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 3

I made 11 changes for the trip to non-league Cottbus, and gave full debuts to 4 of my new signings. We dominated the game from start to finish, won comfortably, and go to fellow Bundesliga side Schalke in the next round.

League Table

Early days of course, but seeing as we're top, I thought I'd stick it up. Six games in August. I'm pleased that we remain unbeaten in all competitions since I arrived.

Forthcoming Fixtures

We play newly promoted Stuttgart in our next game, followed by what could be a tricky tie against St. Étienne in the Europa League.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:14 AM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

September 2030

Results

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Stuttgart 2

I gave debuts to Marcos Vera and Igor Bosnjak for the visit of newly promoted Stuttgart.

Stuttgart deployed defensive tactics, but a string of fine saves by their keeper kept us at bay in the first half. Just before half time, Stuttgart won a penalty when Gianluca Mancini committed a foul in the box, following a free kick. The visitors scored from the resulting spot kick, and went in with a lead at half time, that was completely against the run of play.

We continued to dominate the second half, and scored an equaliser when Brian Miranda fired in a superb free kick from 20 yards out, in the 50th minute.

Eight minutes later, Mancini gave away another foul, and Stuttgart scored from the resulting free kick with their second and final shot at goal in this game.

We lost Christopher Nkunku to injury in the 65th minute, so I brought on Junior Firpo. This did us no harm at all, and when the experienced Dominican Republican received the ball in the visitor's penalty area, he beat his man, then crossed to the far post for Mancini surging forward from central defence, to head in an 80th minute equaliser, and go from villain to hero.

The momentum was in our favour, and three minutes later, Firpo flicked the ball to Bosnjak. The young Croatian sent the ball into the area towards Unai San Roman, whose cross was met by the head of Man of the Match Miranda, who scored an 83rd minute winner.

A determined win.

Europa League 2nd Round, 1st Leg

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 St. Étienne 0

I made just one change for this game against St. Étienne, Junior Firpo coming in at left wingback for Christopher Nkunku. The visitors deployed defensive tactics in the opening twenty minutes, but we were the better side throughout the first half. Our reward came in the 44th minute, when Igor Bosnjak received the ball from a throw in, then sent it into the area for Firpo to deliver a great cross into the box towards captain Josh Sargent, who got above the keeper to head us into the lead.

We doubled our lead a minute later, when more good work down the left from Firpo resulted in a cross into the box towards Unai San Roman. The keeper saved the Spaniard's shot, but Man of the Match Sargent was on hand to smash us into a 2-0 lead.

We carried on where we left off in the second half, and in the 70th minute, Sargent laid the ball off to Bosnjak, who sent the ball towards Brian Miranda coming in off the right. The keeper saved the Argentine's header, but our record signing was on hand to fire in the rebound, to give us a 3-0 lead to take to France in the second leg.

Bundesliga

Hertha Berlin 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

Marcos Vera was knackered after the St. Étienne game, so I brought Amadou Haidara into the right wingback position. We were the better side throughout the game, but had to wait until the 62nd minute to take the lead. Man of the Match Unai San Roman received the ball on the left, beat two opponents, then delivered a good cross into the box for Brian Miranda coming in off the right, to head us in front.

The Hertha Berlin keeper continued to keep us at bay. We'd been defending well, but were unable to deny the hosts possession late on, and they equalised in the 90th minute with their only shot on target in the game.

We could have defended better for the goal, but we were unlucky not to win a game in which we had 9 shots on target.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 1 Dortmund 0

I made one change for the visit of a Dortmund side that finished 3rd last season. I left out Igor Bosnjak, moved Amadou Haidara into midfield, and recalled Marcos Vera into the right wingback position.

Dortmund started the game with men behind the ball, but it didn't take long for us to break them down. Brian Miranda received the ball from a clearance, then squared it for captain Josh Sargent to fire us into a 4th minute lead.

Dortmund took the game to us from then on, and our goal was the only shot on target we had in the game. We struggled to contain the visitors at times, but we defended well, Alban Lafont only had two saves to make, and Gianluca Mancini and Niclas Stierlin defended particularly well, with the latter winning the Man of the Match award.

Europa League 2nd Round, 2nd Leg

St. Étienne 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1 (4-0 on aggregate)

I made 11 changes for this 2nd leg game, and gave debuts to Colin Medved, Facundo Rossi, and Mukoko Mukenga. We continued with the 343 formation.

We got the important away goal fairly early on, when Christopher Nkunku received the ball in the AMR position, played it to striker Shane Kearns, who'd pulled left, then then laid it into the path of Houssem Aouar running into the box from the AML position, who found himself in space to fire us into a 20th minute lead.

This line up had an average age of 21, and they defended well for the remainder of the game to qualify for the 3rd round, where we'll meet Scottish champions Hibs, managed by Gareth Bale.

Bundesliga

St. Pauli 2 Borussia Mönchengladbach 0

I restored the team to the starting XI that beat Dortmund in our previous Bundesliga game, for our trip to winless St. Pauli.

The first half was quite even, but as the game wore on, the hosts started to get on top, so I switched to the flat 352 formation. Shortly afterwards Unai San Roman received a straight red card for a shove, and it wasn't long before St. Pauli were able to take advantage, and take the lead.

Things went from bad to worse early in the second half when Florian Neuhaus received a second yellow card in the 50th minute, meaning we were down to 9 men.

I brought on Christopher Nkunku midway through the second half, and he looked dangerous. We were unlucky not to get an equaliser, but in stoppage time St. Pauli broke away, and got the second goal to inflict my first defeat on us since I've been here.

A harsh but indisciplined defeat.

League Table

I'm pleased that we're top of the table at the end of September, albeit with a slender lead. I'm also pleased that we managed to remain unbeaten in our opening 11 games in all competitions. However, the wins over Stuttgart and Dortmund were far from convincing, though the latter was never going to be easy. We were unlucky not to beat Hertha Berlin, and also not to get something from the St. Pauli game.

The wins over St. Étienne were comfortable in the Europa League, and I'll be looking for us to do well in that competition.

Player Focus

Brian has been fantastic for us so far. What I will say though is that his goals have either been free kicks or getting on the end of a cross into the box. I've been deploying him in the AMR position.

All goals count the same, but I would quite like to see him perform similar to how Messi performs in real life for Barcelona. I'd like to see him receive the ball, cut inside and slalom his way past opposition defenders to score, have shots from outside the box, and play incisive through balls to set up goals.

This are the player instructions I've given him.

I'm wondering whether I should give him different instructions to get the best out of him, so I'll be interested to hear your views on the following points.

1. Turn off pressing. This will keep his condition from dropping too low, as he's been finishing games exhausted.

2. Pass to centre. I rarely touch this, but wonder if this will mean he'll focus on passing into the box. I'm also wondering if the rest of the team could have 'pass to right' to get him on the ball more.

3. Give him a free role. If I do this, will it mean that I should turn off all of the other instructions, and just let him do his own thing?

4. Turn off forward runs. I've always turned this on for all strikers, but do I need to? They're playing high up the pitch anyway.

5. Run with the ball. Seems like a no brainer, but he doesn't actually attempt that many dribbles.

6. Hold up the ball. I tend to only use this for a target man.

7. Long shots. I tend to only use this for central midfielders, but it seems logical to turn this on if I want him to have long shots.

8. Try through balls. I don't use this much, but again it seems logical to turn this on if I want him to provide assists.

9. Cross ball. I like the idea of the low cutback type of cross, rather than whipping an early cross into the box, so wonder if its better to leave this off.

10. Change zonal marking to none, so that he's in space to do damage when we win back possession.

11. Set as playmaker. I never used this at Viktoria Köln, but on taking over at Borussia Mönchengladbach, my predecessor had our most creative midfielder set as playmaker in his previous game, so I've continued with it. By setting Miranda as playmaker, but as the AMR, I'm wondering if this will see him get more of the ball.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Hopefully we can get back to winning ways with our trip to struggling Bochum.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:16 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Absolutely tearing it up to start

Some lovely ties in Europe means no issues with progression there - Hibs should be easy as well Bale managing them!

Cracking stuff in league and domestic cup as well - bit of a mad loss with 9 men but all going great guns thus far

I'm awful at tactics and player instructions so not much to offer on that

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

October 2030

Bundesliga

Bochum 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2

I made 3 changes for this game against struggling Bochum. Marcus Vera was knackered after the St. Pauli defeat, so I brought Magnus Kaastrup back into the right wingback position. Florin Neuhaus and Unai San Roman were suspended, so I brought Igor Bosnjak back into midfield, and I brought Houssem Aouar back into the AML position.

We dominated the first half, and hit the woodwork twice. Once by Josh Sargent, and the other from Houssem Aouar. Our persistence eventually paid off when Bosnjak received the ball in midfield, then sent a ball towards Sargent in the area, who beat the keeper to the ball to head us into a 37th minute lead.

One of the Bochum players saw a straight red card just before half time for kicking out at Amadou Haidara.

The dominance was even more profound in the second half, but poor finishing and good goalkeeping kept us from extending our lead.

We eventually killed the game off when Sargent won a header from their goal kick, and the loose ball fell to Brian Miranda, whose hopeful shot made it 2-0 in the 86th minute to complete the scoring.

Young playmaker Bosnjak won the Man of the Match award with a 10 out of 10 performance that saw him play more passes (51) than any other player, create 4 chances, win 5 tackles, 5 headers, and make an impressive 13 successful dribbles to go with his assist.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Schalke 2

We were unchanged for the visit of 8th placed Schalke. We didn't start the game well. Schalke deployed defensive, men behind the ball tactics, but they were the side creating chances, and took an 8th minute lead with an effort that Alban Lafont will have been disappointed with.

This seemed to wake us up, and when Igor Bosnjak received the ball, he got past his man, and hit a shot which the keeper parried into the path of Amadou Haidara, who was left with a tap in to give us a 22nd minute equaliser.

I thought we had fell behind a few minutes later, but thankfully the ref ruled the visitor's effort offside.

We started the second half well, and when the ball came to Brian Miranda, he found the run of Man of the Match Haidara, who took his chance well to put us 2-1 up with his second goal of the game.

We had chances to extend our lead throughout the remainder of the second half, but were thwarted by the Schalke keeper.

It looked like failing to kill the game off was going to cost us, when Schalke equalised in the 84th minute with another effort that Lafont will have been disappointed with, but this team seem to have a fair bit of spirit and determination, so when Harold Moukoudi received a cleared ball, he played it square to fellow central defender Gianluca Mancini, who brought the ball out of defence, kept going, then hit the ball towards Miranda in the area, who made the most of his opportunity, and fired us back in front to complete the scoring.

Europa League 3rd Round, 1st Leg

Borussia Mönchengladbach 4 Hibs 0

We were unchanged for the visit of Hibs, and completely dominated the first half. We got off to a great start, when Igor Bosnjak ran through the heart of midfield, then laid the ball into the path of Amadou Haidara, who had time and space to fire us into a 2nd minute lead.

Four minutes later, Gianluca Mancini fed Magnus Kaastrup on the right, who made a good run, then delivered a cross into the box for Brian Miranda to power in a header which doubled our lead.

In the 29th minute, another cross into the box from Kaastrup found Bosnjak, whose header at goal was parried into the path of Houssem Aouar, who was left with a tap in to make it 3-0.

We weren't so intense in the second half, but in the 81st minute we won a free kick, and two of our substitutes combined to make it 4-0 when Colin Medved's free kick found the head of Shane Kearns who scored his first goal for the club.

A second successive 10 out of 10 performance from Amadou Haidara earnt him the Man of the Match award in a game where he made the most passes (51) and 15 successful dribbles.

Bundesliga

Düsseldorf 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 3

I made 2 changes for the trip to Düsseldorf, who have finished runners up in the last two seasons. Harold Moukoudi and Magnus Kaastrup had low condition after the Hibs game, so I brought Colin Medved into the right side of the back three, shuffled Gianluca Mancini across to the middle, and I brought back Marcos Vera to replace Kaastrup as the right wingback.

We started the game well. Brian Miranda received the ball, and found the run of Amadou Haidara into the area. The Malian's shot was saved, but Houssem Aouar was in the right place to smash in the rebound to give us a 17th minute lead.

The game became a bit more even, but we defended well, and in the 37th minute, Man of the Match Aouar (playing as the AML) received the ball in our half, drove forward unchallenged, got into the area, beat his man, then drove in an excellent shot to double our lead.

We continued to defend well in the second half, and I was able to make a couple of substitutions that meant that we could switch to the Attacking 352 formation, moving Miranda behind the front two.

This had a positive impact when Vera received the ball, went on a good run down the right, and delivered a near post cross for Miranda to head us into a 3-0 lead in the 81st minute.

Düsseldorf pulled one back a couple of minutes later, and made life difficult for the remaining minutes, but it was too little too late for them, and we held on for an excellent win.

Europa League 3rd Round, 2nd Leg

Hibs 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 0 (4-0 on aggregate)

I made 11 changes for this trip to Hibs. We dominated the game from start to finish, but despite us having 11 shots at goal without reply, we could only hit the target 4 times, so have to settle for a draw in this game.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Leverkusen 0

I restored the line up for the visit of a Leverkusen side that have finished 14th for the past two seasons, to the starting XI that beat Düsseldorf in our previous Bundesliga game. Leverkusen deployed the familiar defensive, men behind the ball tactics.

We set about the visitors from the off, and they were under constant pressure. Our reward came in the 27th minute when Igor Bosnjak played the ball into the area towards Brian Miranda, the Argentine international headed it into the path of Josh Sargent. The loose ball fell to Houssem Aouar, coming in off the left, who delivered a far post cross to right wingback Marcos Vera, who headed in his first goal for the club to give us a 1-0 lead.

Fifteen minutes later, Bosnjak received the ball, and drove through the midfield into the box, then squared the ball from the left, for Miranda to drive in a low shot to give us a 2-0 lead.

On the stroke of half time, Man of the Match Bosnjak was once more the architect, when again he drove through the midfield, and sent a ball into the area for Aouar to head us into a 3-0 lead.

We took our foot off the gas in the second half, but contained Leverkusen well, to secure a comfortable win.

DFB Pokal 2nd Round

Schalke 2 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

I made 1 change for the trip to mid table Schalke. Left wingback Junior Firpo had low condition after the Leverkusen win, so I left him out, and recalled Christopher Nkunku.

This was an open and entertaining first half, with chances for both sides, but we went in goalless at half time.

Schalke started the second half well, and took the lead in the 48th minute. We scored an 82nd minute equaliser when Colin Medved's searching ball found Nkunku, who headed it into the path of Brian Miranda, who smashed in a low shot to deservedly level the game.

It could have gone either way from then on, and extra time would have been the deserved outcome, but Schalke found an injury time winner to knock us out of the cup in a game which we will rue missed chances.

League Table

With four wins out of four, and 11 goals scored, we remain top of the table, and top scorers. We're using the same mentality and style that I used at Viktoria Köln, but with the 343 formation. I guess it helps when you've got experience in the squad, and Messi's regen.

Speaking of my former club, look how well they're doing. I made a few signings this summer that my successor is benefitting from, along with the natural progression of that young squad. There's only been one departure there, with Pape Mbaye moving to Frankfurt for £17.25M. I paid £2M for him. They're making the most of the defensive quality they have there by playing the Defensive 532 formation, or variations of it.

I was pleased to comfortably get past Hibs in the Europa League, and we await the draw for the next round.

The only disappointment was going out of the DFB Pokal. The game was far too open for my liking, and there's always the danger of a defeat in games like that, if there's an off day in front of goal.

Player Focus

Young Igor Bosnjak is starting to repay the £48M I splashed out on him, with 3 assists in the Bundesliga this month. I've set him as playmaker, and he's been at the heart of almost everything creative that we do. He also wins a decent number of tackles, and has a good partnership with Amadou Haidara. On the downside, he's finishing games exhausted, and I think that he'll struggle to maintain the form that has seen him put in two 10 out of 10 performances this month. I'm pretty sure he's a regen of Ivan Rakitic.

Forthcoming Fixtures

A trip to mid table RB Leipzig awaits us in our next game.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:18 AM.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

On in the league!

Will be an emotional day when you play your old team

They are doing very well though!

Who was their manager now?

Blow going out of cup - but given how league is going it might help in what looks a title push!

You love the work "knackered" as well

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Dang the cup game ruined an otherwise perfect run in :/

Nice t see Vitoria so high too, means your work continued well for the next manager too

BTW i don't think you've used knackered alot. Only four uses within this page, and one was Redders

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    On in the league!

Will be an emotional day when you play your old team

They are doing very well though!

Who was their manager now?

Blow going out of cup - but given how league is going it might help in what looks a title push!

You love the work "knackered" as well

: Yeah, 'knackered' is well and truly part of my lexicon, along with many other words and phrases I'm sure!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ZanSnake View Post
    Dang the cup game ruined an otherwise perfect run in :/

Nice t see Vitoria so high too, means your work continued well for the next manager too

BTW i don't think you've used knackered alot. Only four uses within this page, and one was Redders
    Yeah, I like to think I left a legacy there! As long as they stay below us I don't mind!

November 2030

Results

Bundesliga

RB Leipzig 2 Borussia Mönchengladbach 4

I made 1 change for the trip to mid table RB Leipzig. I felt that Igor Bosnjak needed a break from first team action after the Schalke defeat, so I brought back Florian Neuhaus.

We were the better side throughout the first half, and took the lead in the 26th minute when Gianluca Mancini headed in a Christopher Nkunku corner.

The hosts were level three minutes later, when a shot took a wicked deflection off of Brian Miranda for an own goal.

On the stroke of half time, Miranda headed a Niclas Stierlin free kick into the path of captain Josh Sargent, who had time and space to volley us back in front, and give us a 2-1 lead at the interval.

We started the second half well, and Neuhaus fed substitute Harold Moukoudi - on for the injured Colin Medved - who hit a direct ball into the path of Miranda, who sent the ball into the area for Houssem Aouar, who hit a hopeful shot to put us 3-1 up in the 52nd minute.

Four minutes later, Neuhaus drove forward from our half, beat a man, and sent the ball into the area for Aouar, who laid the ball into the path of Man of the Match Sargent, who found himself in space to put us 4-1 up with his second goal of the game.

RB Leipzig managed to pull one back in the 89th minute, but we secured a fifth consecutive Bundesliga win with a good attacking display.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 4 Augsburg 0

We were unchanged for the visit of mid table Augsburg, who deployed the usual defensive, men behind the ball tactics that most away teams use.

It didn't take us long to break them down. We won a free kick just outside the box. The Augsburg keeper saved Brian Miranda's shot, but Gianluca Mancini was first to the rebound, and was left with an easy finish, to give us a 15th minute lead.

Two minutes later, a good passing move involving Florian Neuhaus, Josh Sargent, and Houssem Aouar, resulted in the ball finding it's way to Miranda coming in off the right, who bent in an excellent long range shot, to double our lead.

Augsburg abandoned their defensive stance at this point, which opened the game up in our favour. When playmaker Neuhaus received the ball, he beat two opponents, then played a lovely weighted pass into the area, which found Sargent in space to drive in a low shot, to make it 3-0 in the 28th minute.

We were well worth the lead at half time, and carried on where we left off in the second half, when central defender Mancini drove upfield with the ball, and was upended just outside the box. There was nothing the Augsburg keeper could do about Man of the Match Miranda's excellent free kick to complete the scoring in the 54th minute.

We took our foot off the gas after that, but contained the visitor's well for a sixth consecutive Bundesliga win.

Bundesliga

Nürnberg 2 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

We were unchanged for the trip to winless, bottom club Nürnberg. We started the game well, were completely dominating the hosts, and took the lead in the 7th minute, when Brian Miranda headed in a Niclas Stierlin free kick.

Midway through the first half, Nürnberg started to get into the game, and when former Viktoria Köln player Vierundo received the ball on the left, he showed young right wingback Marcos Vera a clean set of heels, and struck the ball with fury, to give the hosts an 29th minute equaliser with their first effort at goal.

Four minutes later, Vierundo got past Vera again, and crossed into the box. Alban Lafont saved the initial header, but couldn't get to the rebound, and we were behind.

We performed well in the second half, but the Nürnberg keeper made a string of good saves to keep us at bay in a game where we had three times as many shots at goal than the hosts, and twice as many on target. A sloppy defeat.

Europa League Round of 32, 1st Leg

Lokomotiv Moscow 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 0

I left out Marcos Vera after the Nürnberg defeat, and recalled Magnus Kaastrup into the right wingback position, for this trip to a side that are currently in 2nd place in the Russian Premier League.

The first half was fairly even in terms of possession and chances, though the hosts did have 3 penalty appeals. One of them was given, but Alban Lafont pulled off a save.

We dominated the second half, but poor finishing meant that we couldn't get the crucial away goal to take to the second leg.

Central defender Niclas Stierlin put in a 10 out of 10 performance to earn the Man of the Match award. He won an impressive 11 tackles (8 key), and 4 headers.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Viktoria Köln 1

This game had significance for more than one reason. The obvious one is that it was my first encounter with my former club, but more importantly, this was a clash between the sides currently occupying the top two positions in the Bundesliga, with just one point separating us after our defeat at Nürnberg.

It was weird seeing all those familiar faces, but someone else taking charge of them. Quite a few greeted me warmly, though there were a few that barely acknowledged me. I guess that not picking certain players regularly, or denying certain players big money transfers took it's toll.

Anyway, I had to make 4 changes from the Lokomotiv Moscow game just three days before. Both wingbacks Magnus Kaastrup and Christopher Nkunku had low condition, along with both of our wide forwards, Brian Miranda, and Houssem Aouar. This meant that we had to change formation to 451, with me bringing back Junior Firpo, Marcos Vera, Unai San Roman, and giving a full Bundesliga debut to Jim Whelan.

Viktoria Köln lined up in the Defensive 532 formation. I'm surprised that stalwarts like Xaysavath Souvanhansok, Afram Hanna, and Leonardo Mustaccia have been left out in the cold by their new manager, but you can't argue with the fact that they currently occupy 2nd place in the table, and had conceded just 3 goals so far this season, before this game.

The visitors used defensive, men behind the ball tactics in the opening twenty minutes, so the game was quite cagey, but as Viktoria Köln abandoned their defensive stance, the game opened up, and we started to get on top.

As the game was heading towards the interval, Vera put a low cross into the box. Amadou Haidara got on the end of it, but he was clattered by Antoine Diallo, who I signed for Viktoria Köln about a month before I left. A penalty was awarded. Our only designated penalty taker is Brian Miranda, so with the Argentine international sitting out this game, imagine my concern when 18 year old debutant Jim Whelan placed the ball on the spot! I thought my captain Josh Sargent might have taken it off him, and took it himself, but he must have had more faith than I did in the young Englishman, and he was right to, as Whelan sent Soren Schulz the wrong way to fire us into a 1-0 lead.

This must have flustered my former players, as a minute later, a good passing move involving Niclas Stierlin, Florian Neuhaus, Junior Firpo, and Unai San Roman, resulted in the Spaniard sending a cross to the far post for Sargent to head us into a 2-0 lead.

We carried on where we left off in the second half, and when Man of the Match Neuhaus fed Haidara, the Malian international span past Mario Aguza, went past the challenge of Alex Duran, took the ball into the box, then had a pot-shot at goal to make it 3-0 in the 49th minute.

We took our foot off the gas after that, and I made some substitutions to give some minutes to some of the fringe players. Viktoria Köln pulled one back in the 84th minute when Tarik Hrustanovic headed in Alexander Erdogan's cross, but it was to be just a consolation goal.

I said this to the Borussia Mönchengladbach players after the game, "You might have seen me embracing a few of the Viktoria Köln lads before and after the game, but let me tell you this. My loyalty is with you lads now, and you totally deserve it, as you've just put in our best performance of the season, and comfortably beaten one of the best sides in the league. You've not let the fact that today we were missing the league's top scorer and assister stop you from performing, and I know you'll give me everything you've got when we go to Bayern next weekend. Thank you lads, you were brilliant."

I probably overdid it with the word 'lads' but I can be like that. I don't think they noticed as they were knackered....

Bundesliga

FC Bayern 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

We were unchanged for the trip to champions FC Bayern, which meant that fresh again, star player, Brian Miranda had to settle for a place on the bench.

We started the game well, and when Marcos Vera fed the ball infield to Junior Firpo, the veteran left back surged forward, got into the box, then squared the ball for Josh Sargent to drive in a low shot to give us a 1-0 lead.

We shaded the first half, and deserved our half time lead, but the hosts started the second half brightly, and equalised through Kingsley Coman in the 56th minute.

The game was fairly even after that, and a draw was a fair reflection of the game. The Man of the Match award went to Junior Firpo, whose brilliant performance saw him play the most passes out of his team mates, and make 5 successful dribbles bombing forward from left back, to go with his assist.

League Table

10 points from 5 games feels decent enough, though our 4 point lead has been cut to 2 after Viktoria Köln recently won the Cologne derby. I'm delighted that we're scoring so many goals with the 'direct' approach. This is in keeping with the real Hennes Weisweiler's Borussia Mönchengladbach side of the Seventies. We're not defending brilliantly. There's been quite a few games where the opposition have scored twice, and we've scored 3 or 4 to win the game. This is of course entertaining, but in real life Hennes Weisweiler had to sort out the defensive problems that they had in the Sixties before they eventually won the Bundesliga.

I would have liked to have got an away goal in our Europa League game, but providing we're not below par in the home leg, I think we should be able to beat them to progress.

Player Focus

Josh has had a good month, scoring 5 goals, and providing 1 assist. My predecessor, Patrick Helmes made him captain for the few Europa League games that he was in charge for at the start of the season, and I've been happy for that to continue. This is his second spell at the club, and at the age of 30, he seems to be at the peak of his form. I think that his high attributes for Finishing, Off the Ball, and Decisions are the main reason for his good goal return.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:19 AM.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Excellent month again!

Emotional against the old team but a fine "6 pointer" win!

Helluva pen save from LAfont in Europa - could be important with no away goal - you "should" qualify - but if they get one ...........

Continue to go great guns and healthy lead over 3rd - just need your old team to drop back a little

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast