Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hennes Weisweiler: Part 2 - Borussia Mönchengladbach

December 2030

Results

Europa League Round of 32, 2nd Leg

Borussia Mönchengladbach 0 Lokomotiv Moscow 0 (Borussia Mönchengladbach win 4-2 on penalties)

We were unchanged for this 2nd Leg game. We dominated the game from start to finish, having 60% possession, and 14 efforts at goal (10 on target), to their 1. Their keeper was Man of the Match.

I brought on Brian Miranda for Jim Whelan midway through the second half, and switched back to the 343 formation that has worked so well for us this season, but still no joy.

Eventually it came down to a penalty shoot out. I carefully selected the takers, based on whether they have previously had success from the spot in their careers. I chose our main penalty taker, Miranda, to take the 5th penalty in the shoot out, but thankfully we didn't need him, as Unai San Roman, Florian Neuhaus, Amadou Haidara, and Josh Sargent all successfully converted their spot kicks, and Alban Lafont managed to save one, to deservedly see us through to the last 16, where we'll face European champions Wolfsburg in a tough, all German clash.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 1 Frankfurt 0

With this game against 11th placed Frankfurt coming just 3 days after we played 120 minutes against Lokomotiv Moscow, I made 10 changes, reverted back to the 343 formation, and included 6 players aged 19 and under in my starting XI. Goalkeeper Alban Lafont was the only survivor from the previous game, and took the captain's armband.

Frankfurt used the usual defensive tactics that away teams deploy, and a cagey start was made even more difficult when the visitors had a defender sent off for a professional foul on Brian Miranda. They immediately took off their lone striker, brought on a defender, and played a 450 formation.

There was no way Frankfurt were going to abandon their defensive stance, and we went in level at half time, having created very little.

The second half wasn't much better, despite us enjoying 67% possession, and at the midway point, I took off the ineffective Mukoko Mukenga, and brought on the young German academy product, Holger Walter.

This had a positive impact, and in the 76th minute, Man of the Match Igor Bosnjak made 1 of his successful 14 dribbles in this game, got into the box, and was clattered by a Frankfurt defender, to win us a penalty. Miranda made no mistake from the spot, and got us the goal that won us the game.

I was particularly pleased with my back three in this game. All of them are aged 19, and put in a solid performance.

FC Köln 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2

I made 2 changes for the trip to 11th placed FC Köln. I left out midfielder Mukoko Mukenga, and rewarded young Holger Walter for his performance as a substitute in the Frankfurt game, with a place in the starting line-up. Christopher Nkunku had low condition, so I recalled Junior Firpo into the left wingback position.

The first half was as scrappy as anything, and the opening exchanges in the second half were much the same, so in the 64th minute, I took off Holger Walter and Igor Bosnjak, and brought on the experience of Amadou Haidara and Unai San Roman.

This change soon had an impact. Haidara sent a corner into the box, and the ball fell to Magnus Kaastrup, who fired us into a 71st minute lead.

Thirteen minutes later, the substitutes combined, when Haidara received the ball from Brian Miranda, then floated a cross into the near post, for San Roman to get above the FC Köln keeper Barry (on loan from Victoria Köln) to head us into a 2-0 lead, and complete the scoring.

In the 26 minutes, plus stoppage time that Haidara was on the pitch, he won 3 tackles to go with his assist, to win the Man of the Match award.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Bochum 0

We were unchanged for the visit of struggling Bochum. They used the defensive, men behind the ball tactics that most visiting sides use, but it didn't stop us from taking a 1st minute lead, when Magnus Kaastrup headed in an Amadou Haidara corner.

In the 35th minute, Junior Firpo surged forward down the left, beat two players, then delivered a cross to the far post for Brian Miranda to head us into a 2-0 lead.

After dominating the first half, the second half was a bit more even, but we put the icing on the cake in the 90th minute, when central defender Colin Medved hit a 30 yard pass to Unai San Roman. The Spanish playmaker controlled the ball superbly, moved forward whilst under pressure, and unleashed a 20 yard shot that gave the Bochum keeper no chance, to complete the scoring.

Amadou Haidara was Man of the Match for the second successive game.

League Table

We made hard work of the Lokomotiv Moscow games. It turns out that the penalty that Alban Lafont saved in the first leg was absolutely crucial. He saved one in the shootout as well. We couldn't have asked for a tougher tie in the last 16 though. Wolfsburg. This season's Champions League and World Club Cup winners.

I'm pleased with 3 wins out of 3 this month in the Bundesliga. It means we've been able to extend our lead over Viktoria Köln to 5 points. My regular experienced back 3 of thirtysomethings, Mancini, Moukoudi, and Stierlin, who despite playing their part in getting us to the top of the table, haven't been particularly solid this season, with the exception of Mancini, who has done very well. Their low condition after the Lokomotiv Moscow game meant that they were replaced by teenagers Medved, Rossi, and Mokoena. They'll be tougher tests to come, I'm sure, but I'm delighted that the young defenders that I signed this summer have helped us to keep 3 consecutive clean sheets in the league this month.

Player Focus

The experienced players in the squad have done well this season, so when one of my young signings has an impact, I feel the need to highlight this, as ultimately, promoting young players is what I want this save to be about.

Kevin has been the pick of the 3 defenders this month, making no fewer than 6 tackles in each of the 3 games. He's slotted in nicely on the left of the back 3. I paid just £300K to Orlando Pirates for the South African Under 21 international's services. There were defenders with a slightly higher attribute for Positioning, but I was won over by his Determination attribute, along with his price.

Transfer News

I offloaded a couple of experienced strikers on January 1st, who were surplus to requirements. I've gone to my old club to take Jan Jedynak on loan. Below are two images of him, the first was when I first signed him for Viktoria Köln two years ago, at the recommendation of one of my scouts, and the second image is of him now.

As you can see, he's come on leaps and bounds during this time. When he first arrived at Viktoria Köln, Jan found it difficult to adjust to the German lifestyle. This probably means that he has a low hidden attribute for Adaptability.

At the time of writing, his contract at Viktoria Köln expires at the end of the season. If that situation remains, I may try to make this move permanent in the summer, depending on how this loan spell goes. He will probably become homesick eventually, but may be able to make a short term impact, so I may take the gamble if his wage demands aren't too high.

He could be a useful alternative to Josh Sargent, with his good attributes for Decisions, Finishing, and Off the Ball.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Our only fixture in January, is a tough trip to Wolfsburg.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Phew - that Europa tie was too close for comfort!

Horrible draw next as well

Lovely stuff in league - walking it thus far

Young striker certainly developed nicely!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

January 2031

Results

Bundesliga

Wolfsburg 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 0

Magnus Kaastrup was injured for this game against Champions League and World Club Cup winners Wolfsburg, so I recalled Marcos Vera into the right wingback position.

The hosts suffered a blow in the 1st minute, when one of their players was sent off for a professional foul. As a result, we dominated the first half, having 8 shots at goal, without reply. 5 of those efforts were on target, but the Wolfsburg keeper kept us at bay.

The second half was scrappy, and neither side registered a single shot at goal. Kevin Mokoena was Man of the Match, winning 8 tackles, 6 of which were key.

League Table

Viktoria Köln's win means that they've closed the gap on us to 3 points. Before the Wolfsburg game, I'd have been happy with a point, but with them being down to 10 men for practically the entire game, I'm disappointed we didn't get the win, though we deserved it with the way we played in the first half.

A fourth consecutive clean sheet in the league, means that we have the third best defensive record in the Bundesliga, and I'm pleased with how the young trio of Medved, Rossi, and Mokoena have performed in those games.

Transfer News

I did 4 permanent deals to add to the loan signing of Jan Jedynak.

I paid £11.25M to Serie A leaders Udinese for Elia Saporetti. His Handling attribute is his standout feature, but he also looks strong in other areas. He will provide competition to David Kovac to be the long term replacement to Alban Lafont.

I was in two minds about signing Gilvan Gusmão. I'm not currently using a formation that deploys full backs, and I like defenders to have at least 11 for Determination. On the other hand, all of the key attributes for a full back are there. Positioning is excellent, Crossing is good, and he can play both sides. I paid just £2.4M to Vila Nova for the Brazilian Serie B Young Player of the Year, so if it doesn't work out, it won't be an expensive flop.

I wanted someone who could come in if Brian Miranda or Josh Sargent wasn't available, so I paid £12.5M to Sturm Graz for Bernhard Stankovic. His Pace and Acceleration should suit our Direct style, and I think he's got good to high attributes in all the right areas.

Finally, Thierry Tache. I tried to get him in the summer, but couldn't agree a deal. I eventually agreed a deal in this window with St. Étienne for £54M, only for the board to veto it. I then offered £44M with £10M after 50 league appearances, and all parties were in agreement. He has great attributes all over the place, and I think it'll only be a matter of time before he's doing the business on a regular basis.

Forthcoming Fixtures

We welcome bottom club Greuther Fürth in our next game, so hopefully we'll get back to winning ways.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Tache

Gotta be gutted not top get the points v Wolfs after practically all game with a man extra

But hey - you would have taken top of the table at the winter break

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Nice and easy bounce back for you, hopefully a more competitive performance in the next game against Wolfsburg.

Btw, you do know about the new forum? Some of the stories have been carried across, don't want you to be left by the waste-side. You can contact Mark for the link, would love to see this on there too

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ZanSnake View Post
    Nice and easy bounce back for you, hopefully a more competitive performance in the next game against Wolfsburg.

Btw, you do know about the new forum? Some of the stories have been carried across, don't want you to be left by the waste-side. You can contact Mark for the link, would love to see this on there too
    I wondered what was happening about that. Thanks for the heads up. I'll message him.

February 2031

Results

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 5 Greuther Fürth 0

I made 2 changes for the visit of bottom club Greuther Fürth. Magnus Kaastrup was fit again, so I brought him back into the right wingback position in place of Marcos Vera, and Junior Firpo was injured, so I recalled Christopher Nkunku into the left wingback position.

The visitors used the familiar defensive, men behind the ball tactics, but it didn't take long for us to break them down. Brian Miranda received the ball, and searched out Nkunku on the left wing. The Congolese international then sent a cross into the near post, and Josh Sargent headed us into a 15th minute lead.

In the 36th minute, Amadou Haidara received the ball in midfield, took the ball past two opponents, then sent the ball into the area for Sargent to head us into a 2-0 lead.

We didn't let up in the second half, and when Nkunku took control of a loose ball, he sent a cross over from the left, for Miranda to power a header past the Greuther Fürth keeper, to make it 3-0 in the 63rd minute.

Nine minutes later, Colin Medved hit a long ball towards Haidara. The Malian international found Facundo Rossi roaming forward from the centre back position, who hit a first time ball into the area for Man of the Match Sargent, who found himself in space to fire in a low, hard shot, which completed his hat-trick, and made it 4-0.

We completed the scoring in the 88th minute, when Kaastrup played the ball to Unai San Roman, who beat two men, then sent the ball into the area for substitute Jan Jedynak to head in his first goal for the club.

Bundesliga

Stuttgart 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

We were unchanged for the trip to struggling Stuttgart.

We just shaded an open first half, and perhaps were a little unlucky not to have a lead at half time.

In the second half however, we were in complete control. Man of the Match Unai San Roman was at the heart of all of our attacks. In the 65th minute, he received the ball in midfield, beat two players, got into the box, then squared the ball for left wingback Christopher Nkunku, who fired us into the lead.

We were unlucky not to add to our lead, and the scoreline doesn't really do us justice. Delighted with a sixth consecutive Bundesliga clean sheet.

Europa League Round of 16, 1st Leg

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 Wolfsburg 0

I made 1 change for the visit of the reigning European champions. Amadou Haidara was suspended, so I recalled Florian Neuhaus into midfield.

Wolfsburg lined up in the 4321 formation, using defensive, men behind the ball tactics. This didn't stop us from dominating the first half, and only a string of fine saves from their keeper kept us at bay.

We persevered though, and it paid off in the 59th minute, when Josh Sargent headed the ball into the path of Magnus Kaastrup. The keeper saved the Danish internationals shot, but could only parry it into the path of Brian Miranda, who smashed us into a 1-0 lead.

Four minutes from time, Facundo Rossi headed the ball into the path of Unai San Roman. The Spaniard sent the ball into the area, towards Sargent, who was brought down by the Wolfsburg keeper. A penalty was awarded, Man of the Match Miranda made no mistake, and completed the scoring for a 2-0 win.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Hertha Berlin 0

I made 3 changes for the visit of 7th placed Hertha Berlin. Christopher Nkunku, Florian Neuhaus, and Houssem Aouar all had low condition after the Wolfsburg game just 3 days earlier, so I recalled Junior Firpo into the left wingback position, brought Amadou Haidara back into midfield, and moved Unai San Roman into the AML position, so that I could bring Igor Bosnjak back into midfield as the playmaker.

Hertha Berlin deployed the same tactics as all the other visiting teams, but in the 1st minute, San Roman was fouled in the box, to win us a penalty. Brian Miranda made no mistake with the spot kick.

Shortly afterwards, Miranda picked up an injury, that will keep him out for 3 weeks. New signing Bernhard Stankovic came on in his place.

In the 12th minute, Magnus Kaastrup made a good run down the right, sent the ball into the area towards Josh Sargent, who put the ball into the six yard box, for Man of the Match San Roman to double our lead with a diving header.

Things went from bad to worse for the visitors when they went down to 10 men in the 27th minute, when one of their players was sent off for violent conduct, and we went in at half time with a well deserved lead, having dominated the opening 45 minutes.

We carried on where we left off in the second half, and in the 68th minute, a good passing move involving Kevin Mokoena, Facundo Rossi, Magnus Kaastrup, and Bernhard Stankovic, resulted in the young Austrian lobbing the ball into the area, for an unmarked Josh Sargent to hit a hopeful looking shot, that made it 3-0, and put a game where we had 61% possession, beyond the visitors.

Europa League Round of 16, 2nd Leg

Wolfsburg 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1 (3-0 on aggregate)

Just one change for this trip to Wolfsburg for this 2nd Leg game, with Bernhard Stankovic coming in for the injured Brian Miranda. We continued with the 343 formation that has worked so well for us this season.

The first half was very scrappy, and we were unable to have a single shot at goal, but we contained Wolfsburg reasonably well, with Alban Lafont barely troubled.

We started the second half brightly, forcing the Wolfsburg keeper into a couple of saves, before suffering a blow when Amadou Haidara harshly received a straight red card for dissent.

I reorganised by taking off Josh Sargent, and bringing on Christopher Nkunku to play as the AML, and moving Unai San Roman back into midfield.

Despite being down to 10 men, we dominated the second half. Magnus Kaastrup received the ball on the right, made an excellent run, then delivered a near post cross for Stankovic to power in a header, to give him his first goal for the club, but more importantly, the crucial away goal that put the game beyond Wolfsburg.

We meet Valencia in the quarter finals.

Bundesliga

Schalke 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2

I made 3 changes for the trip to 14th placed Schalke. Junior Firpo and Bernhard Stankovic had low condition, and Igor Bosnjak was injured, so I recalled Christopher Nkunku into the left wingback role, Florian Neuhaus into midfield, and moved Unai San Roman into the AMR role, so that I could recall Houssem Aouar into the AML role.

The first half was quite action packed, and we conceded our first goal in 11 games, when Schalke took the lead in the 17th minute.

It didn't take long for the equaliser to come though. Kevin Mokoena sent a free kick into the box, that found Man of the Match Neuhaus, who made it 1-1 in the 21st minute.

We then went in front when San Roman played the ball to Aouar, who found the run of Josh Sargent into the area, whose low, driven shot made it 2-1 in the 30th minute.

It could have gone either way in the second half, and we had a bit of a scare when Facundo Rossi was sent off for a professional foul in the 71st minute, but I brought on Gianluca Mancini for Sargent, so that we still had a back 3, and we contained the hosts well for the remainder of the game, to secure a deserved win.

League Table

4 wins out of 4 means that we're now 12 points clear at the top of the table, with 11 games to go. We're not counting our chickens. 8 of those 11 games are against teams in the top half of the table.

I'm delighted that we went 7 consecutive Bundesliga games without conceding. I don't think that it's a coincidence that our improved defensive performances have come when I've introduced my summer signings into the back 3.

I was also pleased to progress in the Europa League. A 3-0 aggregate win over the Champions League holders isn't to be sniffed at, and I think that we have a great chance of going all the way in the competition.

Player Focus

Unai has done well this season, particularly this month, with a goal, 3 assists, and 2 MotM awards. He seems to be just as effective in the centre of midfield, as he is in the AML role.

Forthcoming Fixtures

A tough game at home to Düsseldorf is our next fixture.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Wow - this is awesome!

League looks in the bag - can now rest them for cup games and go for Europe!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Wow - this is awesome!

League looks in the bag - can now rest them for cup games and go for Europe!
    As an outsider, it probably does look that way, and what you're saying makes sense. However, I will probably go full strength for each game until it is either mathematically impossible, or completely unrealistic for us to be caught.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Yes - there are big games coming up so likely a few "6 pointers" still

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

March 2031

Results

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 1 Düsseldorf 0

Facundo Rossi was suspended for this game, so my only change was to replace him with the experienced Gianluca Mancini at the heart of the back three, for this game against 5th placed Düsseldorf.

The visitors deployed men behind the ball tactics, but we took the lead when Man of the Match Magnus Kaastrup played the ball to Florian Neuhaus. The German playmaker took the ball into the opposition half, continued coming forward, then drove in a 20 yard shot to give us a 7th minute lead.

Düsseldorf had their keeper to thank for not being further behind at half time. The second half was a bit scrappy, but we dealt reliably with the few chances that the visitors created, to see out a deserved win.

Europa League Quarter Final, 1st Leg

Valencia 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

I made 2 changes for the trip to a Valencia side, that currently occupy 7th place in La Liga. Brilliant young central defender Kevin Mokoena was injured, so I recalled Harold Moukoudi, and Amadou Haidara was suspended, so I moved Unai San Roman into midfield, and recalled Bernhard Stankovic to play as the AMR.

The hosts were well on top of us, but thankfully Alban Lafont was keeping them at bay. After a while I switched to the Attacking 352 formation, in an attempt to stem the tide. This worked up until half time, but Valencia looked more and more stronger as the second half wore on. Once again, Lafont was in inspired form.

In the 72nd minute, I made a double substitution, taking off the ineffective Florian Neuhaus and Houssem Aouar, and bringing on Marcos Vera and Thierry Tache.

This had the desired impact, when Vera played the ball to Tache, who played the ball into the area towards Josh Sargent. Our captain lost out to the Valencia defender, but Stankovic smashed in the loose ball to give us a 78th minute lead.

Man of the Match Lafont capped a brilliant performance by making a couple more saves, and Valencia will feel incredibly unlucky that they didn't win this game, having had 60% possession, and 11 shots on target to our 2.

Bundesliga

Dortmund 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

I made 5 changes for the trip to 8th placed Dortmund, which included recalling the fit again Brian Miranda, and giving a Bundesliga debut to Thierry Tache.

Things didn't start very well for us, when Amadou Haidara gave away a penalty, which resulted in Dortmund taking a 7th minute lead. The remainder of the first half was scrappy, and we struggled to create chances.

There wasn't much improvement in the second half, so I brought on Jan Jedynak for Junior Firpo, switched to the Attacking 352 formation, and deployed Miranda behind the front two. Shortly afterwards I brought on Florian Neuhaus for Amadou Haidara.

We started to get on top, and when Miranda intercepted a Dortmund pass, he spotted their keeper off his line, and lobbed him from 35 yards out, to give us an 81st minute equaliser.

We had a chance to get the winning goal after that, but Jedynak missed a great chance to get what would have been a deserved win.

Europa League Quarter Final, 2nd Leg

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 Valencia 0 (3-0 on aggregate)

I made 2 changes for this 2nd Leg game. I left out Junior Firpo and Amadou Haidara, and brought in Florian Neuhaus and Jan Jedynak. I switched to the Attacking 352 formation, as we've switched to that mid game in our last couple of matches, and it's worked well. Star player Brian Miranda played behind the front two.

Valencia deployed defensive tactics, despite being behind on aggregate. It didn't take long for us to break them down. Miranda received the ball, moved forward, then sent it into the area towards Josh Sargent. Our captain was dispossessed, but the loose ball fell to Jedynak, whose low shot found the back of the net to give us a 1-0 lead in the 15th minute.

Thirteen minutes later, the ball fell to Man of the Match Jedynak, who beat the defender, then found Miranda in the area, who chipped it over the keeper, to give us a 2-0 lead.

We continued to dominate for the remainder of the game, and Valencia had their keeper to thank for keeping the score down.

We will meet Roma in the semi final, and the other semi will be between Porto and Udinese.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 St. Pauli 0

I made 1 change for the visit of 10th placed St. Pauli. Thierry Tache was exhausted, so I recalled Amadou Haidara to the side, and continued with the Attacking 352 formation. The visitors deployed the usual defensive tactics.

Florian Neuhaus fed his midfield partner Amadou Haidara, who moved forward with the ball, and sent it towards Unai San Roman in the area, who headed it into the path of Brian Miranda. The Argentine international found himself in space, to fire us into a 9th minute lead.

We dominated the game from start to finish, having 63% possession, and 18 shots at goal, without reply. We had to wait until the 75th minute for the second goal though. Marcos Vera received a loose ball on the right, then sent it into the area towards Man of the Match Miranda, who headed it into the path of Neuhaus. The German international turned, then returned the ball to Miranda, whose low drive towards goal completed the scoring.

Bundesliga

Leverkusen 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

(442 Attacking), (352 Attacking)

Goals (BM in bold) (Assisters in brackets)

St. Juste 7
    Vera 24 (Neuhaus)

Sent Off

[B]Mancini[/B] 32

Man of the Match: Marcos Vera

Attendance: 31917

League Table

Although we dropped points at Leverkusen, I thought we did well to get a point at Dortmund, and beat Düsseldorf. This means we've extended our unbeaten run to 14 Bundesliga games, and 20 in all competitions, with our last defeat coming in November at Nürnberg. Despite this form, FC Bayern have won their last 6 Bundesliga games, so our lead at the top of the table has been cut from 12 points to 8. We host the champions in May.

I was pleased to get past Valencia in the Europa League. We somehow beat them in Spain, despite us getting outplayed, but did a great job at home. The last time we conceded in this competition was in my first game in charge against Nantes in August.

Player Focus

I'm focusing in Colin Medved this month, rather than Gianluca Mancini, as this save is about promoting young players. The young USA under 21 international is having a good first season at the club. He cost us £8M from Toronto, so a decent price. He's played in more than half of our Bundesliga games, so has established himself as an important member of the first team. He's finishing games exhausted, but hopefully this won't be a problem as we enter the final phase of the season.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Our next game is a trip to Roma, who currently occupy 7th place in Serie A. The Italians beat Borussia Mönchengladbach in the final of this competition 2 seasons ago, so hopefully my lads will get their own back.

We really need to get as many points as we can in our next 3 games, as our final 4 games are Viktoria Köln away, FC Bayern at home, Frankfurt away, and Wolfsburg at home.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

The Eagle eyed amongst you might have noticed a different format in the final match report of the month. This is something that I think I might do instead of writing several paragraphs containing details of team changes, opposition tactics, and how each goal was scored.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Medved very raw but talented for sure!

Another rather good month - you've had a tough fixture list in Europe but doing superbly - Roma again will be tough

Assume you have Bayern to play before season end - could be a mahoosive game

New style is ok - whatever easiest/preferred for you mate - I know how long it takes to do write up etc

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

You are on a cracking run. Fingers crossed you can hold off Bayern and could be back to back Europa Leagues for you too!

April looks a busy month and with your first return to Sportpark Hohenberg too!

Interesting to see Viktoria Koln still in the Champions League spots - you left them in a fine position.

I forget which data set you are using, is it March 2019 or March 2020?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

Medved very raw but talented for sure!

Another rather good month - you've had a tough fixture list in Europe but doing superbly - Roma again will be tough

Assume you have Bayern to play before season end - could be a mahoosive game

New style is ok - whatever easiest/preferred for you mate - I know how long it takes to do write up etc
    I'm hoping we'll have it all wrapped up before we play Bayern in the third from last game of the season, otherwise yes, that game could end up being a title decider!

Quote Originally Posted by Renitor View Post
    You are on a cracking run. Fingers crossed you can hold off Bayern and could be back to back Europa Leagues for you too!

April looks a busy month and with your first return to Sportpark Hohenberg too!

Interesting to see Viktoria Koln still in the Champions League spots - you left them in a fine position.

I forget which data set you are using, is it March 2019 or March 2020?
    I'm using the October 2019 update. Viktoria Köln are doing well. I'm not sure they would be doing much better if I'd stayed there. It's still such a comparatively young squad. At Borussia Mönchengladbach, I've seen how much more consistent the experienced players are that have similar quality to those at Viktoria Köln.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

April 2031

Results

Europa League Semi Final, 1st Leg

Roma 4 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1
    (41212) (352 Attacking)

Goals (BM in bold)

San Roman 10 (Vera)
    Esposito 39 (pen), 55, 59 (pen), 82

Sent Off (BM in bold)

Lafont 39
    Saporetti 59

Attendance: 67905

We dominated the opening stages, and took a deserved lead, but if having our keeper sent off weren't bad enough, we also had our substitute keeper dismissed 20 minutes into his debut. Josh Sargent ended up in goal, and could do nothing about the penalty or the fourth goal, though he did manage to make one save.

I saw enough in the first half to believe we have a chance of overturning the deficit in the 2nd Leg.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 RB Leipzig 3
    (352 Attacking) (Sweeper)

Goals (BM in bold)

Parisi 12, 85
    Laimer 67
    Stankovic 76 (Kaastrup)
    Sargent 80 (San Roman)

Attendance 60880

We dominated the first half, but RB Leipzig scored with their only chance, whilst their keeper made save after save. We were the better side in the second half. We still managed to go 0-2 down, but eventually drew level with 10 minutes remaining. All the momentum was with us, but shabby defending and poor goalkeeping meant that we drop our first points at home in the Bundesliga this season, having won each of our previous 13. Bayern's win means that they've closed the gap on us to 5 points.

Bundesliga

Augsburg 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1
    (442 customised), (343)

Goals (BM in bold)

Neuhaus 50 (Mokoena)
    F. Hamann 62

Attendance 32734

We were the better side in the first half, but throughout the game, the Augsburg keeper made a string of saves to earn him the Man of the Match award. Bayern's win means that our lead at the top has been cut to just 3 points.

Europa League Semi Final, 2nd Leg

Borussia Mönchengladbach 1 Roma 1 (Roma win 5-2 on aggregate)

(343), (41212)

Goals (BM in bold)

Esposito 17 (pen)
    Haidara 62 (Kaastrup)

Man of the Match: Christopher Nkunku

Attendance 60847

Facundo Rossi gave away a penalty, to make our task even harder, but we threw everything at Roma in this game. 62% possession, and 15 shots at goal (11 on target), to their 3, (2 on target), just wasn't enough.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 4 Nürnberg 0

(343), (442 Attacking)

Goals (BM in bold)

Miranda 28 (Firpo)
    Sargent 39 (Haidara)
    Haidara 53 (Neuhaus)
    Haidara 55 (Neuhaus)

Man of the Match: Amadou Haidara

Attendance 60957

A comfortable win over the bottom club in the Bundesliga. A 10 out of 10 performance from Amadou Haidara, and my former club done me a favour by holding Bayern to a draw, meaning that their 8 game winning streak came to an end, putting us 5 points clear of the champions with 4 games to go.

Bundesliga

Viktoria Köln 2 Borussia Mönchengladbach 3

(532 Defensive, customised), (343)

Goals (BM in bold)

Lehner 9
    Horn 38
    Sargent 50
    Aouar 62 (Neuhaus)
    Sargent 68 (Neuhaus)

Man of the Match: Florian Neuhaus

Attendance 8997

I received a warm welcome from my former club, but in the days leading up to the game, I didn't have much anticipation about my return, as my focus was on getting a result. My concern was that a bad result could mean that our lead at the top would be cut to 2 points, when it wasn't so long ago that the gap was 12 points.

My fears were realised when we found ourselves 0-2 down at half time, with the hosts scoring with their only 2 chances of the game. Meanwhile, Soren Schulz was in inspired form, keeping us at bay.

At half time I told the lads to stay focused, as we'd been the better side, and that 1 goal blows the game wide open.

The lads took this on board, and we dominated the second half. We got the early goal we wanted, when our captain Josh Sargent pounced on a rebound to pull one back. We then equalised when Neuhaus cushioned a header into the path of Houssem Aouar, and the winner came when Neuhaus cushioned another header into the path of Sargent, to score his second of the game.

An amazing fightback, to maintain our 5 point lead at the top of the Bundesliga, and a win over the champions in the next game, will clinch the title.

League Table

It's in our hands. A win over Bayern in our next game clinches the title with 2 games to spare, a draw over Bayern means that we either have 2 cracks at a win in the final 2 games, or can simply just avoid defeat in those final 2. Even a defeat won't be a problem if we go on to win the last 2 games.

To come from 0-2 down at my former club, and go on to win 3-2 was just incredible. Imagine how I punched the air in delight when we equalised. To then go in front was unbelievable. Imagine my nerves as the game came to a close.

I was disappointed to get knocked out of the Europa League. I think that's the first time since playing this game, that I've lost 2 keepers in 1 game. I genuinely thought we had a chance in the second leg, but it was just one of those games. Even if we'd drawn the first leg 0-0, the 2nd leg result wouldn't have been enough. A shame, as this was probably our best opportunity to win a European trophy at this club.

Player Focus

Florian has had an excellent month, with a goal and 4 assists. He's done well when he's played this season, and has a good ratio of goals and assists per game. He's been at the club for a long time, and has been at his best since he reached his late twenties.

This is only the second time in this save that one of my players has been the Bundesliga Player of the Month. The first was at Viktoria Köln, and it was Xaysavath Souvanhansok when he was in his mid twenties.

Forthcoming Fixtures

The next game is crucial. Win, lose or draw, I'll do a brief update after this game.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Florian Neuhaus has always been good in my saves - March 2020 update though not October 2019 - I always try and sign him when I am at a big enough club. Is age the only reason you don't start him more?

Europa League is a shame but if you are good enough to win the Bundesliga - an it certainly seems that way - you are good enough to win the Champions League.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

This is only the second time in this save that one of my players has been the Bundesliga Player of the Month.

Bummer in Europa - killer with 2 GK off. Good bash in 2nd leg but not to be. Cracking run with tough opponents

Some goals leaked in league and that Koln win was HUGE

Time to finish the job off - for sure would be nice to do it against the main challenger!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Renitor View Post
    Florian Neuhaus has always been good in my saves - March 2020 update though not October 2019 - I always try and sign him when I am at a big enough club. Is age the only reason you don't start him more?

Europa League is a shame but if you are good enough to win the Bundesliga - an it certainly seems that way - you are good enough to win the Champions League.
    He got sent off earlier in the season, and I brought in Igor Bosnjak, who had a very good run in the side. Neuhaus has been more influential during the second half of the season though.

Borussia Mönchengladbach vs FC Bayern

If you're going to win the title, what better way to do it than spank the reigning champions 4-1? A side I might add, that were unbeaten in their previous 10 Bundesliga games, and had conceded just 1 goal in their previous 7 Bundesliga games.

This is how we lined up.

A good blend of youth and experience. 5 players over the age of 30, and 4 players under the age of 21.

Match Report

Bayern used the 433 formation, and started with the defensive, men behind the ball tactics that we're used to coming up against. After 20 minutes they abandoned this defensive stance, and the game opened up in our favour.

Our designated playmaker Florian Neuhaus received the ball, moved forward, then sent the ball into the area towards Houssem Aouar. The Bayern keeper got a hand to the French internationals's header, but could only parry it into the path of Josh Sargent, who smashed in the rebound to give us a 28th minute lead.

Bayern were equal to us in the first half though, and on the stroke of half time, Joshua Kimmich sent the ball into the area for Gabriel Jesus to head in a deserved equaliser.

The second half remained evenly balanced, so I brought on the attack minded Unai San Roman for Amadou Haidara.

This started to swing the game in our favour, and when you need a big game player to step up and make things happen, step forward Brian Miranda. The Argentine international received a loose ball, and unleashed a 30 yard screamer that gave the Bayern keeper no chance, to put us 2-1 up in the 69th minute.

10 minutes later, Miranda was fouled just outside the opposition penalty area. He picked himself up, dusted himself down, and curled in a beautiful free kick to make it 3-1.

At this point I'm thinking, just hold on, and see out the win for the title. Let's not blow a 2 goal lead with 11 minutes of normal time remaining.

Our captain Josh Sargent had other ideas though. He received the ball from San Roman, beat one man, beat a second, beat a third, then took a pot shot at goal to score a sensational 4th goal, to put the game beyond Bayern, and clinch the title in style. The crowd went wild. "Campiones, Campiones, Ole Ole Ole" rung out around the Stadion im Borussia-Park.

We did it. With 2 games to spare. The league's current two top scorers Brian Miranda and Josh Sargent were the obvious heroes of the night, but there were other great performances. Young David Kovac saved 4 of the 5 efforts that Bayern had on target. Veteran defender Gianluca Mancini won 8 tackles and 4 headers at the heart of the back three. To the left of him, young Kevin Mokoena won 10 tackles. Young Marcos Vera worked his socks off down the right.

It weren't just about tonight though, we've been fantastic this season, and I'll go into this in more detail when the season is complete.

Delighted to win my first league title in this save.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Jaysus - what a way to win it

BATTERED them!

Those tackles the back 3 put in as well

Congrats on your first title and you look to be at a club where you should be contesting for all trophies going forward with an exciting squad!

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Jaysus - what a way to win it

BATTERED them!

Those tackles the back 3 put in as well

Congrats on your first title and you look to be at a club where you should be contesting for all trophies going forward with an exciting squad!
    Thanks. I'm pleased that I've proved that the direct approach works, as a common theme on the forums and Facebook is that only short and mixed passing works. Another common theme is that 4 at the back and a defensive midfielder is needed, but the 343 formation has worked brilliantly. Perhaps having a player like Brian Miranda helps.

My challenges now are to replace the senior players when I need to, and sustain the success to keep Miranda happy. I need two more Bundesligas, the DFB Pokal, and a European trophy, before I can move to Barcelona when the job becomes available. I'll probably need to win the Champions League, perhaps more than once, to have a chance. Particularly as I'm not Spanish.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

End of 2031 Season Update

Summary of the 2030/31 Season

So we completed the season by playing fringe players and squad players for our final 2 games of the season, after we clinched the title against Bayern. The XI I put out at Frankfurt lined up in the 442 Attacking formation, and 9 of them were under the age of 21. We managed an excellent 2-1 win. We were unchanged for the visit of Wolfsburg, but lost 0-2.

Fate's Timeline

May 2030: After 11 years at Viktoria Köln, I significantly enhanced my reputation by winning the DFB Pokal-Europa League double.

July 1st 2030: Borussia Mönchengladbach manager Patrick Helmes breaks the club's transfer record by paying £73M to Boca Juniors for Brian Miranda.

July 5th 2030: Germany eliminated at the Quarter Final stage of the World Cup.

July 14th 2030: Germany manager Thomas Tuchel sacked.

July 27th 2030: Germany hire Borussia Mönchengladbach manager Patrick Helmes as their new manager.

1st August 2030: Borussia Mönchengladbach hire Viktoria Köln manager Hennes Weisweiler as their new manager.

As you can see, all of these events had to take place for me to link up with the player who may become, if he's not already, the best player in the world.

I'm delighted with my achievement of winning the Bundesliga in my first season in charge of Borussia Mönchengladbach. Although the club won the double 5 years ago, they've only managed 7th place finishes in the two seasons before I arrived.

One very clear problem needed to be addressed. A leaky defence. Initially things improved. The zonal marking that I deploy all over the pitch made a difference during the first half of the season, but I still felt that we weren't solid enough.

Another twist of fate changed things. In early December we scraped past Lokomotiv Moscow, to reach the last 16 of the Europa League. With a Bundesliga game coming just three days after we played a gruelling 120 minutes of football, I left out the regular back three of Gianluca Mancini, Harold Moukoudi, and Niclas Stierlin that I'd inherited, due to their low condition, and introduced my summer signings Colin Medved, Facundo Rossi, and Kevin Mokoena.

All three players were just 19 years old, (due to my Under 20 transfer policy) when they appeared together for the first time in a 1-0 win over Frankfurt. This was the first of 7 consecutive clean sheets, and helped us to open up a 12 point lead at the top of the table, that proved to be crucial in us eventually winning the title.

So while I give myself credit for making the tactical changes, along with the signings that helped us achieve the club's best defensive campaign in this save, I have to also give Patrick Helmes credit for adopting the 343 formation for the Europa League qualifiers, that I continued with that served us so well. We used this formation 13 times at home, winning each game, and scoring 40 goals, while conceding just 6. Away from home, we used this formation 12 times, winning 8, drawing 3, and losing just once, averaging 2.25 points per game.

Helmes also deserves credit for making striker Josh Sargent captain, which I also continued with. Most of all though, Helmes is the man that signed Brian Miranda, a player that I wouldn't have signed due to his age. I've outlined the impact Miranda had, later in this summary.

If you look at the image above, you'll see that this has been the club's best campaign in terms of matches won, points gained, and goals both scored and conceded.

Key Players

The three that I've picked out below is based largely on goals scored in the cases of two of the players, and appearances on the other.

Alban Lafont has been solid in goal. He actually lost his place towards the end of the season due to suspension. It was David Kovac who was in goal for the crucial Bayern game, but Lafont's contribution to the whole season can't be overlooked.

Josh Sargent has been a brilliant leader, and has consistently scored goals. I don't think we could have won this title without him.

In my opinion, Brian Miranda has been our best player this season. He plays in the AMR role, with the diagonal arrow going into the box, and has a superb scoring record. When I needed him to pull something out of the bag against Bayern, he delivered. The score was 1-1, and he smashed in a 30 yard screamer, then followed it up with a beautiful curling free kick, against a Bayern side that had conceded just once in their previous 7 Bundesliga games. He has simply been amazing.

There are other players that deserve a mention. Gianluca Mancini had the 2nd highest tackles per game ratio in the division. Amadou Haidara has been a great all rounder in midfield. In the Bundesliga he scored 6 goals, provided 6 assists, and averaged 2.6 tackles per game. Unai San Roman scored 3 goals, and provided 10 assists, and Florian Neuhaus scored 4 goals, and provided 9 assists.

Next Season

I'll be looking for us to retain the title, and have a good Champions League campaign. There's a lot of deadwood in the squad that I want to offload, and there's every possibility that Mancini, Neuhaus, Firpo, and Haidara may retire, as they're all in their mid thirties.

Where I can, I'll try and sign quality young players, and will also give consideration to players that my scouts identify as having potential. Otherwise, I want to keep the squad numbers much lower than what I used to have at Viktoria Köln, in order for players to come through the academy.

Next Update

It'll probably be just before our pre season friendlies start. It will contain details of individual player awards, financial performance, any infrastructure upgrades, and transfer news.

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

What a ride in a short space of time!

Top quality players playing at top of thier game!

Be interesting how you go in CL

Good work on getting a tune out of Lafont as well - in previous updates even though he looks immense I've not had major joy with him!

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast