Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hennes Weisweiler: Part 2 - Borussia Mönchengladbach

June 2031

Awards

This is my first Manager of the Year award at any level in this save, after finishing runner up last season. This will hopefully be the first of many.

Florian deserves this for the goals and assists he provided last season. At 34, I doubt he'll perform to this standard for much longer. Another season or two would be nice.

No surprise that Brian Miranda won the fan's award. Hopefully this will be the first of many for him at this club.

Training Ground Upgrade

This is as good as it can be now. Hopefully some talent will come through. I know that I have to keep the squad small for this to happen though.

New Coach

I took this chap off of RB Leipzig. I wanted a fitness coach, who had high attributes for Working with Youngsters, Discipline, and Motivating. He looks like someone who could one day be my Assistant Manager. My current right hand man is Sergio Agüero, who was appointed a few years ago to this club by the current Spain manager Felix Sanchez.

Finances

Taking transfer activity out of the equation, the club received around £338M in income last season. Just over half of that was through gate receipts and season ticket sales. We received £61M in merch, and £67M in prize money.

The club paid out £153M on wages, bonuses, and signing on fees, so just under half of our income, which seems reasonable. £78M was paid out in dividends, and the training ground upgrade cost just under £23M.

The transfer deficit was around £163M.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Well deserved award

Good that training upgraded!

Pkenty of cash available

Q - why is Reus highlighted in yellow? He's not in your team is he?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Well deserved award

Good that training upgraded!

Pkenty of cash available

Q - why is Reus highlighted in yellow? He's not in your team is he?
    Marco Reus was one of my coaches. I released him from his contract to make way for our new coach.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

July 2031

Players Out

I couldn't get veteran defender Gianluca Mancini to agree a new contract, so I released him. He's gone to China and joined Guangzhou Evergrande. He was very important to us last season. I also sold experienced central defender Niclas Stierlin to Kaiserslauten for £27M. This feels like a good deal, as he lost his place in the side just before last Christmas. 33 year old Harold Moukoudi is now the only central defender left at the club who is over the age of 20. Hopefully the young defenders at the club will be able to cope with defending our title, along with competing in the Champions League.

Left sided attacking midfielder Christopher Nkunku has retired, and I've also offloaded 12 young players who had no future at the club.

Players In

I've paid a fair bit of dough for Rodrigo Coimbra. I like his physicality. I think there's enough skill to provide assists if I leave him out wide, and I think there's enough about him to get goals if I play him as a wide player making runs into the box. I'm hoping his Off the Ball attribute significantly improves, so intense tactics training for a player who managed to make the team of the season in the Portuguese Primera Liga last year.

I got Filip Petrzela for peanuts wages and transfer fee. He will be competing with David Kovac and Elia Saporetti to be the long term replacement for Alban Lafont.

I got Stijn Lokando for a decent price. Like Coimbra he has good physicality, but for the young Belgian, I'll be looking at giving him intense skill training.

Niels Lathouwers is another physically imposing player who will hopefully prove adept at getting goals, coming off the flanks.

I think that Daniel Ericsson could have a great future in front of him, and he was dead cheap.

Alex Saputo wasn't cheap, though his wages are low. The Canadian international will replace Gianluca Mancini, and potentially could play for Borussia Mönchengladbach for many years. The Off the Ball attribute seems a bit unnecessary!

Summary of Transfer Activity

It's a bit top heavy on attacking wide players, but the aforementioned Christopher Nkunku has retired, and Houssem Aouar is 33 now. These arrivals will hopefully free up Unai San Roman to play more centrally, especially as Amadou Haidara is 33, and Florian Neuhaus is 34.

I have avoided spending the kind of money that I spent in the previous two windows. Thierry Tache cost £44M in January, and Igor Bosnjak cost £48M last summer. The club also spent over £130M on Brian Miranda, Magnus Kaastrup, and Houssem Aouar last summer, so I've curbed that kind of spending to try and improve our financial situation, but have still added numbers to give us depth.

There may be more signings to come if the price is right.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the update.

Will you continue with the three at the back formation?

How many central defenders do you have in the squad now you have let 2 go?

Some belter youngsters there

Worried about DC at all?

Some belter youngsters there

Worried about DC at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Renitor View Post
    Thanks for the update.

Will you continue with the three at the back formation?

How many central defenders do you have in the squad now you have let 2 go?
    I will continue with three at the back. I have 7 to choose from, though one is a youngster that I inherited, with low Positioning that hasn't significantly improved.

I do have full backs in the squad if I want to change to a back four.

The young defenders that I intend to start with are Medved, Rossi, and Mokoena. They will probably need to be rested, but Saputo, Makoudi, and Stojanov will hopefully be able to come in and do a job.

2031-32 Season to commence

Transfers In

It's the eve of the new season, and we've done another bit of business. This player was available on a free transfer, so I offered him a trial, which he accepted. We went to Spain for our pre season friendlies, so I gave him the first 45 minutes against Las Palmas, and deployed him in the AML role in the 343 formation. He scored, and was Man of the Match.

In the next game at Sevilla, I gave him the full 90 minutes as the striker in the 343 formation. He scored in that game too, and put in an 8 out of 10 performance. My coaches are unanimous in their belief that he's a talented youngster with a bright future ahead of him, and before his trial, one of my scouts rated him as a player of potential.

With all that in mind, signing him seems like the obvious decision. At the moment, his attributes don't look anything special, but if he has a high PA, these could increase into very good attributes. I like that he can operate anywhere across the front three, and hopefully he'll prove to be a long term replacement for Josh Sargent, when our captain eventually departs.

Expectations

The board are expecting European qualification. That's the very least that I expect, so there's no real pressure from them to sustain what we achieved last season.

This time last year, our annual wage bill was the 3rd highest in the Bundesliga at £138M, which eventually rose to £158M. At the moment it's £84M, which is the 5th highest. I have some more signings in mind, so that should go up a bit.

We now have the youngest squad in the division, with an average age off 22. The average age of the first team is 25. Only Viktoria Köln have a younger average aged first team.

The only player to depart who played regularly last season is Gianluca Mancini. We may miss his experience, but then again, we may cope fine. Christopher Nkunku was an important squad player, but I think we'll absorb his loss.

With this in mind, I think we have a good chance of retaining the Bundesliga title.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Our first game of the season is at home to newly promoted Mainz.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Good analysis of that kid as on the face of it I would have argued against the signing

Board seem nice and chilled - for sure a league challenge but expect you to maybe get to QF in CL as well

You should be able to give the cup a good run with squad depth

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

August 2031

Results

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 6 Mainz 0

Scorers (Assisters in brackets)

Miranda 7
    Firpo 13 (Aouar)
    Aouar 32 (Firpo)
    Sargent 41 (Miranda)
    Carmona 65 (Sargent)
    Aouar 86 (Stankovic)

Man of the Match: Junior Firpo

Attendance 64472

A stunning club record (in this save) win over newly promoted Mainz. 10 out of 10 performances from Junior Firpo, Brian Miranda, and Houssem Aouar, and a debut goal for substitute Carlos Carmona.

DFL-Supercup (Olympiastadion, Berlin)

FC Bayern 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 0 (FC Bayern win 4-2 on penalties)
    (433)=======(343)

Sent Off:

Schmitz 25
    Haidara 116

Man of the Match: David Kovac

Attendance 74629

With this game coming just 2 days after the win over Mainz, I made 4 changes, due to injury, and low condition. One of those changes, Moritz Schmitz, in for Junior Firpo at left wingback, saw a straight red card midway through the first half for a professional foul.

It was an uphill struggle from then on. David Kovac earned his Man of the Match award with a string of fine saves, to take us into extra time, but the DFB Pokal winners were efficient with all 4 of their penalties, to add the DFL-Supercup to their trophy haul.

Bundesliga

FC Köln 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 0
    (451)=====(343)

Goals

Karakaya 45

Attendance 53461

I made 3 changes for this game. The hosts scored on the stroke of half time. We dominated the last 20 odd minutes, but the woodwork and poor finishing means that we leave Cologne empty handed.

DFB Pokal 1st Round

Rathenhow 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 4
    (352 Defensive) (433)

Scorers (Assisters in brackets)

Carmona 8
    Stankovic 25
    Lathouwers 30 (Neuhaus )
    Stankovic 64 (Lathouwers)

Man of the Match: Bernhard Stankovic

Attendance 4991

I gave debuts to Alex Saputo in central defence and Niels Lathouwers on the left wing. This was a comfortable win over a non-league side, and a chance to give fringe players some game time.

Summary

A bit of a mixed start. Smashing result against Mainz on the opening day. We then bravely took FC Bayern to penalties in the DFL-Supercup, when we were down to 10 men for the vast majority of the game. A disappointing defeat at FC Köln, which given the chances we had, we deserved to win really. A comfortable win in the DFB Pokal.

Champions League Draw

Not the easiest of draws. PSG have been regular quarter finalists in recent years, and Man. City regularly qualify for the second phase.

Incoming Transfers

As you can see, I was busy in the week leading up to the window closing. Leonel Benitez cost £12.5M from Argentine Superliga club Huracán. He played regularly for them last season, and scored 17 goals in all competitions. He's already an under 21 international. My scouts have high hopes for him, and he looks like someone who can take the pressure off of Josh Sargent, and eventually replace him as first choice striker.

Miguel Moreno cost just £1.4M from Medellín. This deal had less to do with the need to sign another winger, and more to do with getting a bargain.

Björn Schoppenhauer cost £15M from Bielefeld. This could rise to £25M if he makes 50 league appearances for us. I was keen to add a good young German player to the squad. I'm very impressed with his dribbling and off the ball attributes. I reckon they could be intrinsically high.

Daniel Michel is another young German player. I paid RB Leipzig £9M for his services, and they'll get another £9M if he makes 50 league appearances for us.

Finally, I paid £5M to Sion for Pascal Dzaferi. This could rise to £8M if he makes 50 league appearances. I wanted a right back that could play as a wingback, with good attributes for Crossing and Positioning. I think this lad fits the bill.

Summary of Transfer Window

I've signed 12 players at a cost of £92M, which seems reasonable. Some of these will hopefully go on to become regular first team or important squad players. There may also be a good financial return at some point. Since I've left Viktoria Köln, they've sold 13 players that I signed. The total outlay for these players was £37.25M. The total amount received in the transfer of these 13 is £116.575M. That's an average profit of around £6M per player.

Forthcoming Fixtures

We go to Hertha Berlin for our next Bundesliga game. They finished 9th last season. We then go to FC Copenhagen for my Champions League debut as Hennes Weisweiler.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Shock loss in Cologne!

Great win over Mainz and a good effort v Bayern in CUp

Nice an easy cup progress

SOme interesting "add on's" you've added in recent transfers - is this the norm for you or something different you are doing?

New signings all look potential crackers! Good to see some young "local" talent

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Shock loss in Cologne!

Great win over Mainz and a good effort v Bayern in CUp

Nice an easy cup progress

SOme interesting "add on's" you've added in recent transfers - is this the norm for you or something different you are doing?

New signings all look potential crackers! Good to see some young "local" talent
    It's something I've done in other saves, but not this one so far. If a club isn't accepting what I think is a reasonable offer, then I start offering extras after 50 league appearances. That way, if the player doesn't work out to be as good as I'd hoped, I can transfer list him before he reaches that milestone, or just use him in cup games and maybe Europe.

I think it's important to get the best young German talent where I can. Less danger of struggling to settle, though the price can tend to be rather high, hence the add ons.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

September 2031

Results

Bundesliga

Hertha Berlin 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 6

Goals (BM in bold, assisters in brackets)

Matthews 10
    Miranda 18 (pen) (Aouar)
    Lokando 34 (Vera)
    Sargent 40 (Mokoena)
    Vera 45 (Medved)
    Aouar 45 (Sargent)
    Sargent 47 (Lokando)

Sent Off

Rhein 18

Man of the Match: Marcos Vera

Attendance 74623

I put the same XI out that lost at FC Köln in our previous Bundesliga game. We started brightly, but the host's keeper kept us at bay. David Kovac was then beaten from distance, to give Hertha Berlin the lead, against the run of play. When Houssem Aouar was clattered in the box 8 minutes later, Brian Miranda equalised from the penalty spot, and it was one way traffic after that.

There were 10 out of 10 performances from 4 different players. Wingbacks Marcos Vera and Stijn Lokando, along with Houssem Aouar and Josh Sargent. Incredible to score 6 goals twice in our last 3 Bundesliga games.

Champions League Phase 1 Group H

FC Copenhagen 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1
    (433)============(343)

Goals

Miranda (pen) 49

Man of the Match: Colin Medved

Attendance 38004

We were unchanged against an FC Copenhagen side that contained a 39 year old Christian Eriksen. The hosts had 56% possession, but we were defensively solid, with Colin Medved in particularly good form, winning 10 tackles, 9 of which were key. Brian Miranda was held back in the box, and scored from the resulting penalty, which turned out to be enough to win the game.

Bundesliga

Schalke 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2
    (41212)==(343)

Dajaku 5
    Sargent 22
    San Roman 67 (Bosnjak)

Man of the Match: Josh Sargent

Attendance 69296

I made just 1 change for the trip to mid table Schalke. We didn't start very well, and David Kovac will have been disappointed that Dajaku took the ball around him to open the scoring. We performed well though, and got a deserved equaliser through our captain.

We were a bit flat in the second half, so I brough on Bernhard Stankovic for Stijn Lokando, and switched to the 352 Attacking formation. This worked a treat, and shortly after we were in front.

The hosts put us under a bit of pressure after that, but Kovac made some good saves, and we held on for a deserved win.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 1 Man City 2
    (343)====================(442 Attacking customised)

Kaastrup 6 (Bosnjak)
    C. Jones 53
    Haaland 55

Man of the Match: Igor Bosnjak

Attendance 58058

I made 4 changes for this game. We were fortunate to have a lead at half time after a scrappy first half. We didn't defend well early in the second half, and fell behind. I brought on Bernhard Stankovic for Junior Firpo, and switched to the 352 Attacking formation. We played well from then on, and were unlucky not to get an equaliser, when Unai San Roman hit the woodwork in the 80th minute. Their keeper made some good saves, and on the balance of play, if anyone deserved to win it was us.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 FC Bayern 1
    (343)====================(433)

Werner 34
    Miranda 82 (pen) (Neuhaus)
    Miranda 86

Man of the Match: Brian Miranda

Attendance 58058

I made 3 changes after the Man City defeat. Kevin Mokoena returned to the back three in place of Alex Saputo, and I decided that the experience of Alban Lafont in goal, and Harold Moukoudi at the heart of the back three would be a better option than the inexperience of David Kovac and Facundo Rossi.

Even though they're the biggest club in Germany, and one of the biggest clubs in the world, Bayern deployed the defensive, men behind the ball tactics that all away teams deploy. As a result, the first 20 odd minutes were very scrappy. Once the visitors abandoned those tactics, the game opened up in their favour, and Renato Sanches sent the ball into the area, for Timo Werner to smash them into a 34th minute lead.

The second half was much more entertaining, with both teams looking like they might score. We ran out of steam after a while, so I made a triple substitution in the 78th minute, taking off Junior Firpo, Amadou Haidara, and Igor Bosnjak, and bringing on Moritz Schmitz, Florian Neuhaus, and Houssem Aouar. Unai San Roman moved into midfield to accommodate Aouar on the left wing.

This gave us the boost we needed. Schmitz picked up a loose ball on the left, then sent it into the near post towards Neuhaus, who was fouled, to win us a penalty. Brian Miranda was as reliable as ever from the spot kick.

When you need a big game player to step up and make things happen, Miranda is the man. Four minutes later we won a free kick just outside the box. Just as he did in the same fixture last season, the Argentine international curled a beautiful 20 yard free kick past the Bayern keeper, to give us the goal that won us the game. Superb!!!

Bayern will rightly feel disappointed that they didn't get something from the game, but I was pleased with my triple substitution, and my decision to bring back Lafont and Moukoudi. Lafont made good saves in the second half, to keep us in the game, when the score was 0-1, and Moukoudi put in an 8 out of 10 performance, which saw him win 8 tackles, 4 of which were key, and make 4 interceptions.

PSG 4 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1
    (442 Attacking) (343)

Mbappé (pen) 19
    Aouar 24 (San Roman)
    Misic 33
    Simons 44
    Mbappé 45

Attendance 47928

I made 4 changes for this game against the French champions. I left out Harold Moukoudi due to low condition, and our lack of experience at the back proved to be a problem. Facundo Rossi came back into the side, and although he wasn't terrible, the lads either side of him, Colin Medved and Kevin Mokoena had shockers. They've been finishing games exhausted recently, so it's time to give them a break from first team action.

Alban Lafont was at fault for at least 2 of the goals, which was disappointing, as he did really well in our previous game against Bayern.

The first half was quite even in terms of possession and chances, but despite this, we were 1-4 down at half time. We dominated the second half, but the PSG keeper had a brilliant game, so we suffer a harsh defeat.

Bundesliga

Augsburg 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1
    (442)=====(343)

Goals

Sargent 29

Man of the Match: Moritz Schmitz

Attendance 32723

I made 4 changes for this game, which included resting the back three of Colin Medved, Facundo Rossi, and Kevin Mokoena, and replacing them with Alex Saputo, Harold Moukoudi, and Ljupco Stojanov.

Augsburg came into the game, bottom of the table, with just 1 point. The hosts were the better side in the first half though. Thankfully our captain picked a loose ball, went past 2 defenders, and hit a fierce shot to give us a lead.

The second half was a bit closer, but Augsburg will rue the fact that they had just 2 efforts on target, and will feel that they deserved something from the game.

Bundesliga Table

4 wins out of 4 is good I think. Especially with 3 of the games being away from home, and the home game being against Bayern. I don't think we've been at our best at times, but I'm pleased we've been able to grind out wins, after we blew Hertha Berlin and Mainz away earlier in the season.

This hasn't gone so well. We need to win these next 2 games at home to PSG and FC Copenhagen, then see where we are. Going to City and getting something in the final game will be tough though.

Player Focus

'The Sarge' has been excellent so far this season, and has carried on where he left off last season. This is a player who is at the peak of his powers. Captain Fantastic. If Brian Miranda is the player that performs on the big occasion, Josh Sargent is the player who delivers the goods on a cold, wet night in Augsburg. A man's man. A true legend.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Dortmund are up next in a busy October. After finishing 6th last season, they've slipped into mid table.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Shaky start in Europe, but let's hope it's a chance of finding your feet. Think that's really the next step for you after the title win last season.

Josh Sargent is the player who delivers the goods on a cold, wet night in Augsburg. A man's man. A true legend. -

GReat stuff in league - am sure "Dussel" will fall back soon

Bitch of a CL group and not having it your own way thus far - PSG game next is a MUST NOT LOSE - draw is ok but still up against it

Quote Originally Posted by ZanSnake View Post
    Shaky start in Europe, but let's hope it's a chance of finding your feet. Think that's really the next step for you after the title win last season.
    I'd quite like to retain the title most of all, to try to put an end to Bayern's dominance of the Bundesliga.

This is a tough Champions League group. Man City and PSG regularly qualify for the 2nd phase and beyond, whereas Borussia Mönchengladbach haven't appeared in this competition much in recent years. Ultimately though, I need to be successful in this tournament, to have any chance of getting the Barcelona job.

Josh Sargent is the player who delivers the goods on a cold, wet night in Augsburg. A man's man. A true legend. -

GReat stuff in league - am sure "Dussel" will fall back soon

Bitch of a CL group and not having it your own way thus far - PSG game next is a MUST NOT LOSE - draw is ok but still up against it
    I'm glad I've managed to convey 'The Sarge's' importance! Lol

Düsseldorf have been knocking on the door for a while, so they could be strong. I'm not even sure a win against PSG will be enough. If it goes to head to heads, that heavy defeat could come back and haunt us.

October 2031

Results

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 Dortmund 1
    (343)====================(451 Norway)

Sargent 48 (Schmitz)
    H. Müller (pen) 83
    Sargent 90 (Moreno)

Man of the Match: Moritz Schmitz

Attendance 74479

We were poor in the first half, and didn't have a single shot at goal. Dortmund didn't dreate much either.

The second half started well with 'The Sarge' volleying us into the lead with our first chance of the game. Dortmund then put us under immense pressure, with Alban Lafont making a string of fine saves. I brought on Amadou Haidara for Houssem Aouar, and switched to the 532 formation, in an attempt to stem the tide, but it didn't work, and the visitors eventually got the equaliser they deserved, when Facundo Rossi gave away a penalty.

There's a will to win in this squad though. Miguel Moreno came on at right wingback for debutant Pascal Dzaferi in the 85th minute, received the ball from Igor Bosnjak, and sent a cross into the area for 'The Sarge' to head in an injury time winner.

A harsh defeat for Dortmund.

DFB Pokal 2nd Round

Augsburg 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 0 (Borussia Mönchengladbach win 3-1 on penalties)
    (442 customised) (532)

Man of the Match: Ljupco Stojanov

Attendance 30159

We were the better side throughout the game, but a mixture of good goalkeeping and poor finishing meant that we needed a penalty shoot out to see us into the next round.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Wolfsburg 1

(4132)===================(4321)

Stankovic 29 (San Roman)
    Benítez 42 (Whelan)
    Caro 43
    Benítez 72 (Haidara)

Man of the Match: Leonel Benítez

Attendance 58721

With this game coming just 3 days after we played 120 minutes against Augsburg, I made 5 changes, which included giving a debut to Argentine under 21 international Leonel Benítez.

Wolfsburg are a good side. They've finished in the top four in each of the last 11 seasons. Changing to a different formation worked brilliantly for us. We had 59% possession, and 12 efforts at goal to their 2.

We put in an excellent performance, and I was delighted to see young Benítez score 2 goals and put in a 10 out of 10 performance to earn him the Man of the Match award.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 1 PSG 2
    (4132)===================(442 customised)

Mbappe (pen) 30
    Stankovic 79 (Miranda)
    Éverton 88

Attendance 58037

In a game where we had 55% possession, and 14 efforts at goal to their 9, we paid the price for sloppy defending, and poor finishing.

This defeat means we're now 5 points adrift of 2nd place Man City. We need to beat FC Copenhagen in our next game, and for PSG to beat City. If this happens, then a win for us at the Etihad will mean that we qualify for the second phase, but what a big ask this is.

Bundesliga

Leverkusen 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 4
    (442 Attacking) (343)

Openda 4
    San Roman 19 (Haidara)
    San Roman 33 (Haidara)
    San Roman 51 (Haidara)
    Stankovic 69

Sent Off
    St. Juste 12

Man of the Match: Amadou Haidara

Attendance 31910

The game didn't start very well for us, falling behind early on, but when the hosts went down to 10 men, things quickly turned in our favour. The Unai San Roman/Amadou Haidara partnership in midfield was immense, with both putting in 10 out of 10 performances.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 4 FC Copenhagen 1
    (343)====================(442 Attacking)

Goals (BM in bold)

Stankovic 16
    Nielsen (pen) 18
    Stankovic 46
    Stankovic 54
    Haidara 57

Attendance 65507

The win wasn't as comfortable as the scoreline suggests. The visitors managed to have 7 efforts at goal, and we had to rely on Alban Lafont to make a couple of good saves. An outstanding performance from young Bernhard Stankovic, who is keeping Josh Sargent out of the side. A wonderful second goal, where he dribbled past 3 players, was sandwiched by 2 tap ins.

PSG beat Man City, so our final game of this group stage is crucial, and a win for us at the Etihad will put us into the second phase.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Hoffenheim 1
    (343)====================(41212)

Stankovic 12 (Kaastrup)
    Stankovic 21 (Firpo)
    San Roman 24 (Kaastrup)
    Eyibil 82

Attendance 63782

We blitzed Hoffenheim from the start, and raced into a 3-0 lead after just 24 minutes. We took our foot off the gas after that, and the game evened out. Hoffenheim managed a consolation goal near the end, to deny us a clean sheet.

Bernhard Stankovic put in a second consecutive 10 out of 10 performance, to earn the Man of the Match award again.

Bundesliga Table

The win over Hoffenheim made it 8 in a row in the Bundesliga, and sent us back to the top of the table. I'm pleased with the way we're scoring goals, but we haven't kept many clean sheets this season. I think we're missing the experience of Gianluca Mancini a bit.

I was particularly pleased with the win over Wolfsburg. A complete change of formation, but we dominated the game, and managed this without arguably our two best players, Brian Miranda and Josh Sargent.

Champions League

This has been a struggle. Although we have some experienced players in the squad, this is a very young squad, that seems to be struggling to cope with being in the Champions League, but remain strong domestically. Perhaps a season of Champions League football under our belt will help us in the future.

Of course we could still qualify for the next phase. Man City away will be tough, but is winnable. We'll need to be at our best though.

Player Focus

Josh Sargent was knackered after the Augsburg cup game, so young Bernie came into the side for the next game against Wolfsburg, and has made himself undroppable, scoring 8 goals in our last 5 games, and winning the Man of the Match award 3 times. I doubt this run will continue much longer, because of his age, and the fact that he's finishing games exhausted, but he's done brilliantly to get Player of the Month. It's really not very often that a player below his mid twenties manages this.

Forthcoming Fixtures

So it's a trip to Stuttgart up next, followed by the do or die game at Man City.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Squeaked through in cup in the end!

League is on

You kid doing awesome

Wow - a lifeline in CL - I was for sure thinking you were gone after losing to PSG but it's in your own hands

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Fingers crossed for the game at the emptyhad

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

Champions League Special

Man City v Borussia Mönchengladbach

We come into this must win game on the back of a 3-0 win over Stuttgart, which I'll provide details about in the November update. This was how we lined up against a City side currently occupying 2nd place in the Premier League.

We got off to the perfect start when Brian Miranda dribbled past 3 City players, before sending a low cross into the box for Houssem Aouar to control, then finish neatly to give us a 2nd minute lead.

We came under a bit of pressure from our opponents, and Alban Lafont was forced to make a couple of saves.

Midway through the first half, experienced defender Harold Moukoudi was stretchered off, so I brought on Ljupco Stojanov, and shuffled Facundo Rossi across to the heart of the back three. I also took the forward runs off of the 2 central midfielders, along with the wingbacks, in an attempt to keep City at bay. This worked well, and we contained the hosts well for the remainder of the half, whilst creating chances of our own.

We remained on top in the second half, and won a corner. Amadou Haidara floated a ball into the area, and Aouar got above the City defender to head us into a 2-0 lead in the 57th minute.

At this point, I'm wondering if we can hold on, but I had nothing to fear, as we contained City brilliantly as a unit, and saw out an excellent win to take us into the second phase.

As a unit, we were superb, and we saw some good individual performances. Kevin Mokoena won 6 tackles at the back. Amadou Haidara won 8 tackles in midfield to go with his assist. Brian Miranda did the business on the big occasion once again, with his great run that led to us taking the lead. Bernhard Stankovic led the line brilliantly, holding the ball up well, and keeping possession. He pressed from the front, winning 2 tackles. He also won 5 aerial duels, and all 3 of his shots were on target. The Man of the Match award went to Houssem Aouar of course, who has been under par in recent weeks, but was the hero tonight.

This is who we're up against in the next phase.

Liverpool are the reigning Premier League champions. They won their group, were semi finalists last season, and won this competition in 2022, 2025, and 2026. Real Madrid were runners up in La Liga last season. They won their group, and no team scored more than the 17 goals they scored in the first phase. They were quarter finalists last season, and reached the semi finals the season before. Udinese are the current Serie A leaders, and finished runners up last season. They topped their group ahead of Chelsea in 2nd place, and our German rivals FC Bayern in 3rd place, who drop into the Europa League.

Our night was soured somewhat, by the news that Harold Moukoudi will be out for 11 months with a cruciate ligament injury. This is a blow, as he's our only experienced defender. I will need to sign reinforcements in January, as our other central defenders are all finishing games exhausted.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Injury is a real kick in the teeth after a fantastic performance. Career ending? Is he 33/34?

Finding a non-cup tied defender in January might be hard

The 2nd stage draw is a mighty tough one 6 points against Udinese a must.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Renitor View Post
    Injury is a real kick in the teeth after a fantastic performance. Career ending? Is he 33/34?

Finding a non-cup tied defender in January might be hard

The 2nd stage draw is a mighty tough one 6 points against Udinese a must.
    Harold Moukoudi is 33. His contract was due to expire at the end of the season, but I've given him a 12 month extension.

It sure is a tough draw. I don't expect us to qualify for the quarter finals, but we'll give it our best shot.

What a win!

Fair play - I didn't have you qualifying with so much to do!

Bitch of a 2nd group - c'mon LIverpool

Horrible injury

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123