Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hennes Weisweiler: Part 2 - Borussia Mönchengladbach

Fantastic result, especially as head to head counts ahead of goal difference. Six points vs Udinese could see you through.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

Helluva performance

Still have the mighty reds to beat though

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

November 2031

Results

Bundesliga

Stuttgart 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 3

(442 Attacking) (343)

Goals (BM in bold, assisters in brackets)

Miranda 64 (Firpo)
    Stankovic 68 (Kaastrup)
    Haidara 70 (San Roman)

Man of the Match: Bernhard Stankovic

Attendance 63999

The first half was fairly even against bottom of the table Stuttgart, and so were the early stages of the second half. We had been wasteful in front of goal, and had to rely on Alban Lafont to make some important saves. Both teams hit the woodwork twice.

We improved when I had to replace the injured Colin Medved with Kevin Mokoena, and managed to score three goals in a six minute spell, that put the game beyond the hosts.

Bernhard Stankovic maintained his great form, with a fourth Man of the Match award in his last five games.

Champions League

Man City 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2

(See previous from last update)

Bundesliga

Düsseldorf 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 0

(451 customised) (343)

Goals

João Félix 76

This was an open and entertaining game, with numerous chances for both sides. Both keepers were in great form, with Alban Lafont saving a penalty, and Odysseas Vlachodimos getting Man of the Match. Düsseldorf got the goal late on, but we were unlucky not to get something from the game.

I can't have too many complaints about my side. They had won 9 consecutive Bundesliga games prior to this one, and Düsseldorf have conceded just 3 Bundesliga goals all season.

Champions League Phase 2 Group A

Real Madrid 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 4

(See previous update)

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 1 Viktoria Köln 0

(343)====================(532 Defensive)

Goals (Assisters in brackets)

Schmitz 86 (Stankovic)

Man of the Match: Moritz Schmitz

Attendance 58342

We just shaded a cagey first half, but went in goalless at half time against my former club. We dominated the second half without creating too much, but eventually made one of the few chances count, when Bernhard Stankovic held the ball up in the area, then delivered a cross to the far post for Moritz Schmitz to head in his 3rd goal in his past 2 games, for a deserved, but hard fought win.

DFB Pokal Round of 16

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Dresden 1

(433)====================(451 customised)

Miskovic 55
    Lathouwers (pen) 76 (Tache)
    Mukenga 81
    Kearns 89 (Benítez)

Man of the Match: Mukoko Mukenga

Attendance 48226

I made 11 changes for this game against struggling 2.Bundesliga side Dresden, and used this match to give game time to the fringe players. The average age of the team was 19. (Paul Hardcastle will have been delighted)

We dominated the game, but typically, Dresden scored with the only chance they had in the game. We were heading for a shock defeat, but I brought on Shane Kearns for Rodrigo Coimbra, and switched to the 4132 formation. This had the desired effect, and a 3 goal flurry in the space of 13 minutes sees us into the quarter finals.

Bundesliga

RB Leipzig 2 Borussia Mönchengladbach 3

(451 customised) (343)

Miranda 11 (Haidara)
    Vierundo 13
    Wolf 24
    Miranda 66 (Haidara)
    Sargent 69 (Vera)

Man of the Match: Brian Miranda

Attendance 42521

After we took the lead, RB Leipzig scored twice with direct free kicks from outside the box. Alban Lafont will have been disappointed.

A double substitution in the 61st minute worked a treat. I took off ineffective midfielder Florian Neuhaus and left winger Carlos Carmona, and brought on Igor Bosnjak and Houssem Aouar. Bosnjak was much more influential, and within 8 minutes, we'd turned the game on it's head, with captain Josh Sargent (returning to the side after several weeks on the bench) scoring the winning goal.

League Table

It's been a good month. The Düsseldorf defeat was the only blot on the landscape, but considering they've just beaten Bayern 3-0, I can't have too many complaints. Europe has been amazing. We've gone from looking like we were going to drop into the Europa League, to potential contenders dare I say it.

Player Focus

This is quite a nice story. When I first arrived at this club, I sent my scouts on a youth search. Within days they had unearthed Moritz, and rated him as a player with potential, and gave him 5 stars. His attributes for Positioning and Crossing were barely in double figures, but I signed him anyway.

His PA must have been huge, as his attributes just rocketed. I gave him mostly Tactics training, as I wanted his Positioning to improve, and it absolutely did! Even his skill attributes went up.

He couldn't get in the team much last season, as Junior Firpo and Christopher Nkunku were above him in the pecking order to play as the left wingback, but with the latter retiring last summer, Moritz has had a lot more game time, and has responded with great performances, that culminated in the amazing display at the Bernabeu.

His tackles per game ratio is also very good, and I feel like I've got a real player on my hands. This is what this save is about really. Developing young players. Especially if they're Germans who have come through the academy or a youth search. I felt the same way about Alexander Erdogan at Viktoria Köln, who arrived at the club in similar circumstances.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Liverpool at home next in the Champions League. Massive game, and I'm aware that these two clubs are linked by two European finals in the seventies.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:36 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Pushing forward on all fronts.

The cup draw isn't too bad Freiburg don't look to be up to too much with negative goal difference in mid-table. A good result against Liverpool and you'll be all set in that group.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

CL going swimmingly - hope you get smashed in next 2 games though

League is all good bar the Dussel defeat. They have slightly dropped out (still amazing GD) while Bayern on

Nice win over the old team!

Cup draw looks nice!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

December 2031

Results

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Liverpool 0

(343)====================(352 Defensive customised)

Sargent 28 (Miranda)
    Bosnjak 38 (Vera)
    Vera 66 (Schmitz)

Attendance 58057

Borussia Mönchengladbach v Liverpool is a classic European fixture. The seventies was a significant era for both clubs. Mönchengladbach established themselves as one of the top clubs in Germany, winning 5 Bundesliga titles. Liverpool were already one of the top clubs in England, but became a dominant force in this era.

Europe was a different matter. The clubs met in the UEFA Cup Final in 1973. A two legged affair which Liverpool won. Mönchengladbach got their hands on the trophy in 1975, then Liverpool regained it in 1976.

The next stage for both clubs was to have an impact in the European Cup. The clubs met again in the 1977 final, but once again Liverpool came out on top. Whilst Liverpool went from strength to strength, winning the trophy 3 more times in the following 7 seasons, Borussia Mönchengladbach faded away. They managed to regain the UEFA Cup in 1979, and reached the final in 1980, but there were no more Bundesliga titles after 1977.

In this save, Liverpool are the reigning Premier League champions, and league leaders. They won the Champions League in 2022, 2025, and 2026.

A bit of context there, so over to this game. We dominated the first half. Our captain Josh Sargent got his first Champions League goal of the season when he put us ahead, and Igor Bosnjak got his first goal for the club 10 minutes later.

The second half was closer, but we defended well, with Alban Lafont making a couple of important saves. Facundo Rossi was a rock at the back, and Moritz Schmitz won 5 tackles to go with his assist for Marcos Vera's second half goal, to earn the young German the Man of the Match award.

A superb win that puts us 3 points clear at the top of our group.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 St. Pauli 0

(343)====================(451 customised)

Haidara 66
    Miranda 84 (Bosnjak)

Man of the Match: Amadou Haidara

Attendance 60876

This was a tough first half. St. Pauli were steadfast in their defensive tactics, which meant that we had 67% possession, but only had 4 efforts at goal. They did well to deny my front three the ball.

The second half was shaping up in much the same way, so I switched to the flat 352 formation, withdrawing Houssem Aouar into midfield, and playing Brian Miranda as a strike partner to Josh Sargent.

It didn't take long for the different shape to unsettle them, and Amadou Haidara pounced on a rebound to give us a lead. Brian Miranda killed the game off towards the end, but in truth, the visitors didn't lay a glove on us, and their only effort at goal was a wild shot outside the box, late in the second half.

A satisfying win.

Bundesliga

Freiburg 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

(343)====(343)

Kaastrup 9 (Haidara)

Attendance 25847

We dominated the first half, and having hit the woodwork twice, were unlucky not to be further ahead at half time. The second half was closer, but a superb defensive display prevented the hosts from registering a single shot on target.

Another fantastic display from Moritz Schmitz, who won 9 tackles in the left wingback role.

Bundesliga

Dortmund 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 0

(451 customised) (343)

Goals

Miranda (own goal) 89

Attendance 93320

Both sides were in form coming into this game. We had won 4 Bundesliga games on the bounce, and Dortmund had won 5. The game was scrappy, and fairly even. We just shaded it on chances, but the hosts had two penalty appeals turned down. Dortmund dominated possession late on, but we were incredibly unfortunate when Brian Miranda deflected a volley into his own net.

A harsh defeat. The board weren't happy with the performance. I sarcastically requested extra time to rebuild the squad, and reminded them that we're Bundesliga champions, top of our Champions League group, and have beaten Man City, Real Madrid, and Liverpool in recent weeks.

DFB Pokal Quarter Final

Borussia Mönchengladbach 4 Freiburg 0

(352)====================(4321)

Schmitz 21 (Vera)
    Miranda 45
    Miranda 65 (Vera)
    Miranda 67 (pen)

Sent Off: Neudecker (Freiburg) 21

Attendance 47941

Freiburg kept things tight for the opening twenty minutes, but as soon as they abandoned their attacking shape, young Moritz Schmitz opened the scoring. They then had a player harshly sent off for giving Josh Sargent a dirty look!

We were able to take full advantage, and Brian Miranda doubled our lead just before half time, when he curled in a beautiful free kick.

Marcos Vera got his second assist of the game, when Miranda headed in his cross, then Brian Miranda won a dodgy penalty, which he converted himself, to complete his hat-trick.

Facundo Rossi gave away a penalty late on, but Alban Lafont saved it, to ensure we kept a clean sheet.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Frankfurt 0

(352)====================(442)

Aouar 13
    Sargent 15
    Miranda 59 (Kaastrup)

Sent Off: Leonel Benítez

Attendance 63733

Frankfurt kept things tight early doors, but teams aren't used to us playing the flat 352 formation, so opening them up wasn't a problem, and we were 2-0 up within 15 minutes. Brian Miranda completed the scoring early in the second half, but this was as one sided a game as there can be. We had 15 shots (11 on target), they had none. The only sour note was substitute Leonel Benítez seeing a red card 10 minutes after he came on, for headbutting Niklas Süle.

Bundesliga Table

We were unlucky to lose at Dortmund, but unlike my board, I've no complaints. We had three good wins, and I'm pleased with how the players have responded to the flat 352 formation in home games.

It's looking like a three horse race for the title, but can Bayern and Düsseldorf sustain their form? We are on course to improve on last season's points total, but can we sustain our form whilst we compete on three fronts?

DFB Pokal

Delighted to comfortably beat Freiburg with the 352 formation, and we will play Dortmund at home in the semi final, whilst the other semi will be between FC Köln and 2.Bundesliga side Sandhausen.

Champions League

Another great result beating Liverpool. If we can beat Udinese in the next two games, we should qualify for the quarter finals, which would be excellent.

Player Focus

As you can see, Marcos is doing a great job this season. Most of his games have been in the right wingback position. There's a clear improvement in the consistency of his performances compared to last season, which is nice to see. Like a lot of the young players at the club who've played a lot this season, he's finishing games exhausted, but that's just a process that has to be got through. Thankfully I have Magnus Kaastrup for that position, which means that Marcos gets to recharge his batteries.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Just the two games in January. I'll be disappointed if we're not 6 points better off by the next update.

Transfers

I have 3 players departing tomorrow, and 2 new arrivals, who you'll be familiar with. I'm also looking to get a reasonably priced left back, and a couple of centre backs to ease the burden on the young players already at the club.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:37 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Vera on

Cup - nice win and looking good

League - bloody hell - Bayern and Dussel not dropping are they - some 6 pointer games v them later in season if things contnue

Lovely stuff about Pool and Monchen in the 70's

I heard a brown envelope got passed to UEFA and Liverpool really battered you on the night

Shame it wasn't a sell out

Continuing to go great guns!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Vera on

Cup - nice win and looking good

League - bloody hell - Bayern and Dussel not dropping are they - some 6 pointer games v them later in season if things contnue

Lovely stuff about Pool and Monchen in the 70's

I heard a brown envelope got passed to UEFA and Liverpool really battered you on the night

Shame it wasn't a sell out

Continuing to go great guns!
    I've a feeling that Borussia Monchengladbach's and Liverpool's paths will cross quite a bit over the next few years.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Hopefully after those two cracking results in the Champions League the team don't get complacent vs Udinese.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

January 2032

Results

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 4 Hertha Berlin 0

(352)====================(442 Attacking)

Sargent 2 (Schmitz)
    Miranda 41 (pen) (Haidara)
    Vera 45 (Schmitz)
    Miranda 64 (Bosnjak)

Attendance 64942

We dominated this game from start to finish, having 61% possession, and 21 shots at goal to their 1.

Moritz Schmitz put in another outstanding performance. His 10 out of 10 display on the left side of midfield included him making more passes (50) than any other player, he created 7 chances, providing 2 assists, and won 4 tackles.

Bundesliga

Mainz 2 Borussia Mönchengladbach 0

(433)===(343)

Goals

R. Hack (pen) 14
    Rausch 56

Man of the Match: Alban Lafont

Attendance 36514

The line up was unchanged for this game at bottom club Mainz, but I reverted to the 343 shape. We had a bit of a stinker. Sloppy defensively, and sloppy in front of goal. We did have 3 goals disallowed, but Mainz also hit the woodwork, and the fact that our keeper was Man of the Match kinda says it all.

League Table

Thankfully Bayern lost at Dortmund, so our defeat at Mainz means that they haven't been able to pull away.

I've got to think about what to do about our away form. At home in the Bundesliga, we've been perfect, winning all 9 of our games, but away from home we've won 7, and lost 4. This is by no means bad. We have the 2nd best away form in the league. 3 of the defeats have come against top 6 sides, FC Köln in August, and Düsseldorf and Dortmund in more recent times. Some of the wins haven't been totally convincing, though, and one of them at Schalke in September was after we switched to the 352 Attacking formation mid game.

I'm thinking that lining up in that formation might be the way forward, though on the other hand, perhaps a bit of complacency from this young squad in their first season as defending champions is to be expected.

I'll stick with 343 for our next away game, which is at Udinese, as we beat Real Madrid and Man City using that formation, but the next away game after that will be Bayern, and I think I might need to do something different against them.

Transfer News

I offloaded 4 players that were surplus to requirements, bringing in £6M. I brought 5 new foals into the club.

I'm delighted to get Benedikt Langer. I took him to Viktoria Köln a year before I left. It took a while before I gave him his chance, but when I did, he grabbed it with both hands. He came in for the last 3 Bundesliga games of the season, scored 2 goals, and was Man of the Match twice. He then scored in the Europa League Final, and put in an 8 out of 10 performance in the DFB Pokal Final.

Last season he scored 10 goals in 13 Bundesliga games, but this season hasn't had a look in. I feel like I've got a bargain for £9.5M, and I may try and cash in on Josh Sargent in the summer.

This is the third time I've signed Jan Jedynak. The first time was when he came up on my scouts youth search at Viktoria Köln, and the second time was when I took him on loan last season. He became a free agent last summer, but it took a long time for us to agree terms.

This is a bit of a gamble. Jan struggled to adapt to the German lifestyle at Viktoria Köln, and he is considered to be unprofessional. His attributes are good though, and he may be a useful squad player on cheap wages. If it doesn't work out, and I end up releasing him at the end of his contract, it won't be too much of a waste of the club's finances.

I needed to bring in central defenders, as we have Harold Moukoudi out injured for the rest of the season. The others at the club are finishing games exhausted, so I've brought in reinforcements. Luciano Vega cost just £2.1M from Waasland-Beveren. I'm hopeful that intense tactics training will push his Positioning up.

I've been monitoring Christian Beck for a while. I paid £11M to Greuther Fürth, which could rise to £17M if he makes 50 league appearances for us. They've been playing him regularly in midfield, but I'm hoping that intense tactics training will push his Positioning up high enough for him to be a good central defender. This is an archetypal Hennes Weisweiler player. Tall, fit, fast, strong, and aggressive.

Finally Oliver Mohr. I need a long term replacement for Junior Firpo, that can provide competition to Moritz Schmitz down the left. I paid £5M to Rapid Vienna for his services. Another one that's tall, fit, fast, and strong. His Work Rate is a little bit lower than I'd usually like, but I'm hoping that his Dribbling and Off the Ball attributes will provide excellent attacking options.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Some big games coming up in February, starting with a chance to reach the DFB Pokal Final, with a home game against in form Dortmund.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:39 AM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Mad gave v Mainz - thankfully Bayern lost!

Mohr looks a belter and I like the look of Langer. Unsure on Vega but christ, you aint half got some talented players!

Bug month next and a 6 pointer v Bayern. Should be able to rest players v Udinese for it

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

As you have played 11 away and 9 at home you may well have a more favourable run in that your rivals

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

I've been neglecting my reading over recent weeks. I can't say \i've caught up with everything that I missed, but i've read the last 2 pages. That is quite some team of young players that you have assembled and they are certainly paying you back with performances on the pitch.

Battling on all fronts this season and the Bundisliga in particular is shaping up for an exciting finale. Dussledorf defence is unbelievable, but surely they can't sustain that sort of form.

Liking the look of the new boys, although Jedynack looks a bit risky from past experience.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

Mad gave v Mainz - thankfully Bayern lost!

Mohr looks a belter and I like the look of Langer. Unsure on Vega but christ, you aint half got some talented players!

Bug month next and a 6 pointer v Bayern. Should be able to rest players v Udinese for it
    I've got high hopes for Langer. I think he could be the pick of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Renitor View Post
    As you have played 11 away and 9 at home you may well have a more favourable run in that your rivals
    I was thinking that too. Our home form has been great since I arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    I've been neglecting my reading over recent weeks. I can't say \i've caught up with everything that I missed, but i've read the last 2 pages. That is quite some team of young players that you have assembled and they are certainly paying you back with performances on the pitch.

Battling on all fronts this season and the Bundisliga in particular is shaping up for an exciting finale. Dussledorf defence is unbelievable, but surely they can't sustain that sort of form.

Liking the look of the new boys, although Jedynack looks a bit risky from past experience.
    Düsseldorf blew a big lead a couple of seasons ago, but I think that they're strong contenders.

Jedynak is a risk, but not an expensive one, so I took the gamble.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

February 2032

Results

DFB Pokal Semi Final

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 Dortmund 1

(352)====================(442)

Goals (BM in bold, Assisters in brackets)

Bosnjak 11 (Aouar)
    Wöber 81
    Bosnjak 86 (San Roman)

Man of the Match: Igor Bosnjak

Attendance 74484

Dortmund came into this game having won 11 on the bounce in all competitions. They deployed defensive, men behind the ball tactics, but it didn't stop young Igor Bosnjak heading us into an 11th minute lead.

Despite falling behind, Dortmund kept things tight right up until the 70th minute. This strategy looked to have paid off when they got an 81st minute equaliser, but shortly after, I made a double substitution, taking off Marcos Vera and Houssem Aouar, and bringing on Magnus Kaastrup and Unai San Roman. This worked a treat when Kaastrup hit a square ball to San Roman, who sent the ball into the area for Bosnjak to score his second goal of the game, which proved to be an 86th minute winner, and send us into the DFB Pokal Final, where we'll meet FC Köln.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 FC Köln 0

(352)====================(451 customised)

Schmitz 32 (Kaastrup)
    Haidara 50
    Langer 54 (Miranda)

Man of the Match: Magnus Kaastrup

Attendance 74511

We dominated this game from start to finish. We had 58% possession, and 18 shots at goal to their 2. Josh Sargent was knackered after the Dortmund game, so I gave Benedikt Langer his first start for the club, and he proved to be a right handful, winning 9 headers to go with his goal.

Udinese 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

(41212)==(343)

Goals

Haidara 34

Sent Off

Rossi 10

Attendance 25132

A trip to the Italian Serie A leaders was never going to be easy, and our cause wasn't helped when Facundo Rossi was shown an early red card for a professional foul. I reshuffled by taking off my central striker Benedikt Langer, and brought on Ljupco Stojanov to replace Rossi at the heart of the back three.

Despite our numerical disadvantage, the first half was quite even. Alban Lafont had to make a couple of important saves, and they missed a sitter, but a chance came our way, and Amadou Haidara took it.

We were actually the better side in the second half, and were unlucky not to add to our lead. I certainly wouldn't say that we were hanging on. An important win in Italy, and Liverpool's win over Real Madrid means that we're now 6 points clear of the Spanish giants, who are in 3rd place with 3 games to go.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 Augsburg 0

(352)====================(442 customised)

Miranda 29 (Sargent)
    Miranda 73

Attendance 59501

We were the better side throughout the game in a comfortable win. Brian Miranda has been prolific as a central striker, scoring 6 goals in the 6 games he's played in this position.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Udinese 0

(352)===================(41212)

Vera 23 (Sargent)
    San Roman 37 (Vera)
    Vera 61 (San Roman)

Sent Off

Tomiyasu 57 (Udinese)

Man of the Match: Marcos Vera

Attendance 58630

A superb win over Udinese to put us 6 points clear at the top of the group, meaning we need just 1 point from one of the remaining two games to qualify for the quarter finals.

We had 18 efforts at goal, to their 5, and had 60% possession.

Young Marcos Vera was immense down the right hand side. Along with his 2 goals and assist, he made more passes than any other player on the pitch, completing 35 out of 42. He also created 5 chances.

Bundesliga

FC Bayern 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2

(433)======(352 Attacking)

Lokando 43 (Haidara)
    Miranda 70

Sent Off

Arrey-Mbi 69 (FC Bayern)

Man of the Match: Stijn Lokando

Attendance 85991

I mentioned in the previous update how away performances against top 6 sides have led to us losing at Düsseldorf, Dortmund, and FC Köln. These defeats were all suffered using the 343 formation, so despite winning at Udinese in our previous away game, using this shape, I decided to use the 352 Attacking formation against the league leaders.

This strategy paid off superbly. The hosts were unable to register a single shot at goal, neither on or off target. We only had 2 shots on target ourselves, but both went in. Left midfielder Stijn Lokando headed in an Amadou Haidara corner, and Brian Miranda picked himself up after being fouled just outside the box, to fire in a third free kick in his last 3 games against Bayern, to seal the points.

A wonderful win.

League Tables

After the shock defeat at Mainz at the end of January, the squad have responded superbly, with 6 wins out of 6 in February. Solid wins too. Beating a Dortmund side that had won 11 on the bounce in all comps, to reach the DFB Pokal Final was no mean feat. Winning at Udinese with 10 men for most of the game was an excellent achievement, but the masterclass was going to the Allianz-Arena, denying Bayern a single shot at goal, and coming away with all 3 points. Doing a Bundesliga double over Bayern could prove crucial to our chances of retaining this title. With around a third of the season remaining, it still looks too close to call.

If Liverpool and Real Madrid win their remaining games against ourselves and Udinese, someone is going to achieve 12 points in this group, and fail to reach the quarter finals.

Foal Focus

I paid Eupen £5M for Stijn in the summer. He made an impact earlier in the season in the left wingback role, but had his progress halted by the form of Moritz Schmitz. Moritz has been exhausted in recent games though, so another chance has come Stijn's way, and he's taken it. I was dismayed to read just before the Bayern game that he's struggling to adapt to the German lifestyle, but he hasn't let this affect him on the pitch, and put in a Man of the Match performance at the Allianz-Arena.

Forthcoming Fixtures

We start March with a visit by bottom club Stuttgart.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:40 AM.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Just ONE goal conceded in this update

The PERFECT month

CL qualification sorted easily

League on

HUGE game v Bayern and put them to the sword!

It's all going swimmingly but no complacency as CL QF (when you get there) means you cant have too many bad games and in league still 2 horses behind you ready to overtake!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Just ONE goal conceded in this update

The PERFECT month

CL qualification sorted easily

League on

HUGE game v Bayern and put them to the sword!

It's all going swimmingly but no complacency as CL QF (when you get there) means you cant have too many bad games and in league still 2 horses behind you ready to overtake!
    Couple of thoroughbreds they are too!

If we can sustain this, then thoughts of the treble aren't too premature, but continuing this form will take some doing. Our best chance of silverware is the DFB Pokal, but we do have a good chance with the other competitions.

March 2032

Results

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Stuttgart 0

Miranda 20 (Lokando)
    Miranda 36 (Lokando)
    Miranda 57 (Saputo)

Attendance 65507

Stuttgart kept things tight for the entire game, so we wasn't able to create many chances, but what we did create was clinically finished by Brian Miranda, whose hat-trick elevated him to the top of the Bundesliga goal scoring chart with 17 goals (21 in all comps).

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 Real Madrid 0

Miranda 30 (Lokando)
    Haidara 88

Attendance 58077

We were the better side throughout the game. We had 18 shots at goal (10 on target), to their 3 (1 on target). Brian Miranda was once again able to make the most of the chances that Stijn Lokando was creating down the left, to complete the double over Real Madrid, and qualify for the last 8 of this competition, by winning the group with a game to spare.

Bundesliga

Wolfsburg 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

(343)======(352 Attacking)

Miranda 6 (Kaastrup)

Attendance 32166

Brian Miranda headed in a cross from Magnus Kaastrup to give us an early lead. We didn't create much after that, but contained Wolfsburg well, to deservedly secure all three points.

Liverpool 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

(532 Attacking) (442 Attacking)

Goals (BM in bold, Assisters in brackets)

Schopenhauer 57 (Firpo)
    Cassidy 71

Attendance 54072

Having already won the group, I decided to use this game as an opportunity to rest the players that have played regularly, and give game time to some of the fringe players. 10 of the 11 were aged 21 or under, and the only player over that age was the incongruously named Junior Firpo, aged 35, who captained the side from the left back position.

The game was fairly even, and a draw was probably a fair result. It's a shame we couldn't make it 6 wins out of 6 in the group, but I can't be disappointed with a point at Anfield against a Liverpool side that are the runaway Premier League leaders. We've used a formation that we don't use much, with an XI that had an average age of 19. I was pleased to see young Björn Schoppenhauer get a debut goal playing on the left side of midfield, and saw plenty to suggest that the future of this club is in safe hands.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 0 Schalke 1

(352)====================(41212)

Goals

Oberlin 78

Man of the Match: Alex Saputo

Attendance 68224

Our 10 match unbeaten run in all comps came to an end at home to mid table Schalke. A frustrating defeat. We didn't dominate possession like we have done in previous games, having just 47%, but even so, still had 10 efforts at goal. Only 4 on target though. Schalke had just 1 shot on target, which they scored from. Alban Lafont has been in great form lately, but will have been disappointed with his part in the goal.

I guess it was a sloppy performance, though I still think we did enough to deserve a narrow win. I'll put this one down to an off day, but expect a better performance in our next game at Hoffenheim.

League Tables

The home defeat to Schalke means that we lose our place at the top of the table. This is still very much a three horse race that still seems too close to call.

After our early struggle in the Champions League, which saw us dramatically qualify for the second phase with the win at Man City, we've done well to comfortably win our group. We face Chelsea in the quarter final, who haven't done anything of note in the competition in this save. They are currently in 2nd place in the Premier League, 13 points behind a Liverpool side who we took 4 points from in the second phase. This makes me feel that we have a good chance of getting past them over the two legs.

The other quarter finals are:

Barcelona v Napoli
    Düsseldorf v PSG
    Lyon v Liverpool

Foal Focus

I paid £15M to New York Red Bulls last summer, to sign Alex Saputo. I haven't played him much, but injury and suspension meant that a chance to play on the left of the back three came his way recently, and he's taken it well. He's played his part in a good run of clean sheets, and in the Schalke defeat his 10 out of 10 Man of the Match winning performance saw him win 8 tackles (7 key) and 6 headers.

I'm hopeful that he can be an important fixture at the club for the next 15 years or so.

Forthcoming Fixtures

We'll be looking to get back to winning ways at Hoffenheim, then after the 1st Leg of the Champions League Quarter Final, we'll have a crucial 6 pointer at home to Düsseldorf.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:41 AM.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Liverpool are likely to be the toughest challengers left in the champions league for you and you have overcome them in the group. Better to get them in Semis than in a one game final though I'd say.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

Flying along then the mighty reds at Anfield halt the winning run and then as you say a shock (and somewhat harsh) defeat in last league game

Cannot believe how well Bayern and (more so) Dussel are doing

Young defender made a great start!

Chelsea then Dussel - resting for either game or asking the lads to go back to back?

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Flying along then the mighty reds at Anfield halt the winning run and then as you say a shock (and somewhat harsh) defeat in last league game

Cannot believe how well Bayern and (more so) Dussel are doing

Young defender made a great start!

Chelsea then Dussel - resting for either game or asking the lads to go back to back?
    We'll be full strength against Chelsea, and if all goes well, unchanged against Düsseldorf, providing there's no injuries or low condition.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Just when it can't go wrong, along comes Schalke.
    Still in the mix for all 3 competitions
    Better not let Chelsea off the hook like you did for Liverpool

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

April 2032

Results

Bundesliga

Hoffenheim 2 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2

(41212)=====(352 Attacking)

Hofmann 8
    Kaastrup 32
    Tache 38 (Rossi)
    Morosow 77

Attendance 31966

We didn't start the game particularly well, and fell behind early on. This sparked us into life, and Magnus Kaastrup's equaliser along with Thierry Tache's first goal of the season deservedly turned things around. On efforts at goal, we were well worth our lead, with 9 to their 3.

The second half was scrappy, with neither side looking like they would add to the scoreline, but Hoffenheim scored with their only chance of the second half. Alban Lafont was unhappy with our defender's efforts, but his own 6 out of 10 performance suggests he was just as culpable.

At the other end, former Viktoria Köln keeper Martin Necas earned the Man of the Match award for keeping the score down in the first half.

We were unlucky not to win, but seemed to take our foot off the gas in the second half. Perhaps we had Chelsea in mind.

Champions League Quarter Final 1st Leg

Chelsea 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 3

(4411)===(352 Attacking)

Lokando 18 (Miranda)
    Sargent 72 (Lokando)
    Bosnjak 80 (Medved)

Attendance 40839

We put a couple of dodgy recent performances behind us with an emphatic win at Chelsea. Left midfielder Stijn Lokando used his aerial prowess to head us into a lead from a Brian Miranda free kick. The young Belgian under 21 international then turned provider in the second half, when he found captain Josh Sargent, who got into the area, then hit a low shot to double our lead. Igor Bosnjak then put the icing on the cake when he received the ball in his own half from Colin Medved, took the ball over the halfway line, kept going, then hit a crashing drive from distance to make it 3-0, and give us an excellent lead to take into the second leg.

We were well worth the win, having 10 shots at goal to their 3, though all of their's were on target, and we needed Alban Lafont to put in a very good performance to keep the clean sheet.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 1 Düsseldorf 2

Miranda 35 (Haidara)
    Santander 74
    Rodriguez 87

Attendance 71035

We came into this game knowing that defeat to a Düsseldorf side that have gone 14 Bundesliga games unbeaten, would put us 6 points adrift of them, with 6 games to go.

We played well in the first half. 61% possession, and 4 shots at goal without reply. Amadou Haidara provided his 10th Bundesliga assist of the season, when he found big game player Brian Miranda in the area to give us a deserved lead.

We continued to perform well in the second half, and were unlucky not to double our lead. As the game wore on, the visitors got more and more into the game. I don't know whether it was tiredness on our part, greater determination to win by Düsseldorf, or a mixture of both, but they managed to get the 2 goals they needed to win the game.

We will probably need to win all 6 of our remaining games, and hope that Düsseldorf and Bayern slip up, to have any chance of retaining the title now.

Bundesliga

Frankfurt 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 3

(442)=====(352 Attacking)

Mbaye 15
    Tache 56 (Rossi)
    Kaastrup
    Miranda (pen) 69 (Schmitz)

Man of the Match: Thierry Tache

Attendance 54957

We didn't start the game well, and former Viktoria Köln player Pape Mbaye fired Frankfurt into an early lead. Eventually we got into it, and were unlucky not to be level at half time.

Thierry Tache hit a long range shot to level things early in the second half, but we seemed to have run out of steam after that.

I made a double substitution in the 66th minute, bringing on Moritz Schmitz and Benedikt Langer for Stijn Lokando and captain Josh Sargent. This paid immediate dividends when Magnus Kaastrup got on the end of a rebound, to put us in front. Two minutes later, Schmitz won a penalty, and Brian Miranda made no mistake from the spot, to secure us a deserved win in a game where we had three times as many shots on target than our opponents.

Champions League Quarter Final 2nd Leg

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Chelsea 0 (6-0 on aggregate)

(352)====================(4411)

Schmitz 15
    Langer 33 (Schmitz)
    Haidara 76 (Miranda)

Attendance 59285

I made two changes for this game. I left out Stijn Lokando and Josh Sargent, and rewarded German under 21 internationals Moritz Schmitz and Benedikt Langer with starts in left midfield and up front respectively. Alban Lafont took the captaincy.

We started well when Schmitz received a loose ball, saw the Chelsea keeper stranded, and sent the ball from far out, into an empty net to give us a 1-0 lead.

Schmitz then crossed the ball to the near post for Langer to head us into a 2-0 lead.

Late on, the majestic Brian Miranda sent a cross into the area for Amadou Haidara to make it 3-0, and secure a comfortable win to take us into the semi finals.

Meanwhile Liverpool beat Lyon 6-0 at Anfield to reach the semi finals 7-2 on aggregate. Barcelona beat Napoli 3-1 on aggregate, and Düsseldorf beat PSG 3-1 on aggregate.

I'm not too fussed who we get in the semis. Whoever it is, it'll be tough. It would be nice if we were to get Düsseldorf, and get our revenge for them doing a Bundesliga double over us. If that were to happen, I'd like to see a repeat of the 1977 final between ourselves and Liverpool.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 4 Leverkusen 1

Bosnjak 9 (Schmitz)
    Miranda 42 (Haidara)
    Haidara 68
    Haidara (pen) 86, (Jedynak)
    Camará 89

Attendance 63158

A comfortable win over mid table Leverkusen, in which we had 61% possession, and 13 shots at goal, to their 2. Man of the Match Amadou Haidara put in a 10 out of 10 display at the heart of our three man centre midfield. No-one played more passes, and he made 10 successful dribbles to go with his two goals and assist. He created 3 chances, won 2 tackles, 2 headers, had 4 shots on target, and made 6 interceptions in a superb all round display.

A bit of bad news after the game. Benedikt Langer had to come off early in the game with a groin injury which will put him out for the rest of the season.

League Table

Picking up just 1 point from 9 in late March/early April has damaged our chances of retaining the title. Especially when Düsseldorf have won 8 consecutive Bundesliga games, and are unbeaten in 17. It's their title to throw away now. We will probably need to win all four of our remaining games, and the most likely places that Düsseldorf could slip up are their trips to Bayern and Wolfsburg. If this does happen - and this is a big if - our superior goal difference could prove crucial, but as I say, it's their's to lose.

In the Champions League however, we've shown our own relentless good form. The 6-0 aggregate win over Chelsea means that we're now 10 games unbeaten in this competition, winning 9, and drawing 1 (against Liverpool with an under strength side at the end of the second phase), scoring 26 goals in this run, and conceding just 3.

Player Focus

The images above show how important Amadou Haidara has been to us this season. He's been much more consistent than last season, and has done well to get into double figures for both goals and assists in all competitions.

I think he has fairly ordinary attributes for things like Passing, Creativity, Dribbling, Decisions, and Off the Ball, which are all what you would associate with a midfielder that scores and creates goals, but there's obviously something about him that's making things happen.

Amadou also has the 7th highest average tackles per game ratio for midfielders in the Bundesliga, so a great all rounder.

Forthcoming Fixtures

A trip to my old club coming up. We've won 3 out of 3 against Viktoria Köln since I've been here. We need to make it 4 out of 4, then the last 3 in the Bundesliga all look winnable.

Barcelona in the semis. They've won the last two La Ligas, and are 11 points clear at the top this season, with 6 games remaining. They've been strong in Europe in this save. They won the Champions League in 2021, 2027, 2028, and 2029. They got to the final last season, but were beaten by reigning champions Genk of all teams!
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:41 AM.

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Have to give the Dusseldorf defence huge praise. They have been phenomenal. As you say, theirs to lose now.
    2 cups would not be a bad season and you know you can do it.

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast