Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Hennes Weisweiler: Part 2 - Borussia Mönchengladbach

August 2032

Transfer News

I did just one more bit of business before the transfer window closed, bringing in this lad from Tottenham for £30M, which could rise to £32M if he makes 50 league appearances.

I've had my eye on Callum since my Viktoria Köln days. I like his physicality, along with his Aggression. These are traits that the real Hennes Weisweiler looked for in a player. He looks like a skilful all rounder, that could have a fantastic career in front of him.

I mentioned in the previous update that I was close to signing a mind blowing centre back. Take a look below.

See what I mean?

Sadly this deal didn't happen. CM Scout found me this player a year ago. I tried to sign Luca then, but Torino wouldn't accept any offers. They then sent him on loan to Serie C1/A side SPAL, where he helped them win the league. He was also named as Serie C1/A Player of the Year, and signed a new 4 year contract with his parent club.

I wondered if signing a new contract would mean that the player would no longer be interested in signing for us, and that Torino would remain unwilling to sell, so imagine my delight when the Italians accepted an offer of £47M plus a further £28.5M after 50 league appearances. Contract negotiations with the player were smooth, and the deal was all set to go through, but my board vetoed it, as they felt that the offer was unrealistic.

I lowered the initial layout to £33M, increasing the add on to £42.5M, which Torino were happy with, but my board vetoed it once again. By chance I read on Facebook that offering 'Indispensable to the club' status would push deals through when this happens, but that didn't work either.

I'll try again in January. His value was just £8.25M. He's started the first game of the new season for Torino in Serie A, so if he remains in the side, his value should go up. The problem then of course is that he might not want to leave, or what is more likely is that Torino will want more money, which my board won't be willing to pay. If that happens, I will ask for extra transfer funds, but I might have to accept that this might be a player that I miss out on.

I'll have to be philosophical about this. In real life, Alex Ferguson missed out on Paul Gascoigne and Alan Shearer. Man Utd are a bigger club than Borussia Mönchengladbach, so realistically, I'm not going to be able to sign every player that I want. This is good, as the game would be too easy, but I'm still disappointed though.

Results

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 FC Köln 0

Goals (Assisters in brackets)

Stankovic 20 (Bosnjak)
    Haidara 82 (Lokando)

Man of the Match: Igor Bosnjak

Attendance 74493

A comfortable win over FC Köln, who we'd previously thrashed 5-0 in the DFB Pokal Final. We had 58% possession, and 17 shots (12 on target) at goal, to their 1.

DFL-Supercup

Borussia Mönchengladbach 0 Düsseldorf 1

(352)====================(4132)

Goals

Arp 82

Attendance 74639

I made 11 changes for this game, and gave debuts to Daniel Koubek, Thomas Montgomery, and Roberto Toril.

Düsseldorf were the better side in the first half, and we had David Kovac to thank for keeping them at bay. The second half was closer, but Düsseldorf got the only goal of the game, to give them on balance, a deserved win.

Bundesliga

Hannover 96 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2

(532 Attacking) (352 Attacking)

Tache 25 (Lokando)
    San Roman 31 (Haidara)

Man of the Match: Thierry Tache

Attendance 54270

I made 10 changes to the side after the Düsseldorf defeat, and we dominated this game against newly promoted Hannover 96, from start to finish.

Thierry Tache had already hit the woodwork twice, before he swept us into the lead in the 25th minute following Stijn Lokando's cross from the left, then 6 minutes later, Unai San Roman headed in Amadou Haidara's corner, to double our lead.

We finished up having had 17 shots (11 on target) at goal, to their 2 shots, and the hosts had their keeper to thank for keeping the score down.

Tache was brilliant behind the front two. No player made more passes than him. He won 8 headers, had 7 shots at goal, and made 3 successful dribbles.

DFB Pokal 1st Round

Mannheim 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1
    (442)======(442 Attacking)

Lathouwers (pen) 30 (Moreno)

Sent Off

Albrecht (Mannheim) 29

Man of the Match: Miguel Moreno

Attendance 16320

I made 11 changes for this game against 3.Liga South side Mannheim, and gave a debut to Callum Osborn. We dominated the game, having 14 shots at goal, without reply.

Right midfielder Miguel Moreno was brought down by the Mannheim keeper, which resulted in a penalty and a red card.

We could have scored a lot more, but the host's keepers made good saves throughout the game, and with just 6 shots on target, we were quite wasteful. We never looked troubled though.

Champions League Draw

We should win this group. Arsenal finished 4th in the Premier League last season, and have only reached the second phase once in this save. Dynamo Kyiv have also only reached the second phase once in this save, and Sint-Truiden have been champions of Belgium in each of the last two seasons, but have never gone beyond the first phase.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Hopefully we can build on our good start, with a win at mid table Freiburg, and get ourselves to the top of the table ASAP.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:50 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Osborn looks excellenyt and that defender

Might be one to keep plugging away at

Favourable CL group

Mannheim game was mad - 10 men and they still could have done a smash and grab equaliser!

Great League start!

Shame the trophy cabinet was added as ZZ gets one over you early doors

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Osborn looks excellenyt and that defender

Might be one to keep plugging away at

Favourable CL group

Mannheim game was mad - 10 men and they still could have done a smash and grab equaliser!

Great League start!

Shame the trophy cabinet was added as ZZ gets one over you early doors
    I've arranged a deal to sign that defender for January 1st. What I'm hoping is that he plays regularly for Torino between now and then, so that his automated value increases to a point where it won't seem like I'm paying too much. I guess this has a lot to do with the value given for his reputation, which is probably low at the moment, but should rise with Serie A games under his belt.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

September 2032

Results

Bundesliga

Freiburg 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

(343)====(352 Attacking)

Lokando 64 (Miranda)

Sent Off

Tache 12

Attendance 27092

Amadou Haidara had low condition after being on international duty for Mali in midweek, so the only change I made was to replace him with Mukoko Mukenga.

Our job became hard when Thierry Tache harshly received a yellow card for a foul, then received another one seconds later for protesting too much. I moved Brian Miranda into the AMC role, and left Bernhard Stankovic on his own up front.

We did well to limit the hosts - who came into this game having won both of their two opening games - to just 2 shots on target. We were still able to create some chances, and when Magnus Kaastrup sent a ball into the area from the right, Miranda nodded the ball into the path of Stijn Lokando, who volleyed us into the lead.

A hard fought three points, and I'm delighted with our solid performance.

Champions League Phase 1 Group B

Arsenal 2 Borussia Mönchengladbach 3

(442)====(352 Attacking)

Goals (BM in bold, assisters in brackets)

Jandera 1
    Tache 13 (Stojanov)
    Tache 61 (Miranda)
    Miranda 63 (Stankovic)
    Jandera 86

Man of the Match: Brian Miranda

Attendance 59826

One change for this game. Facundo Rossi was on international duty with Argentina for the Olympic Games, so I replaced him at the heart of the back three with Ljupco Stojanov.

Arsenal took an early lead, but Stojanov did well to intercept a pass, brought the ball forward, then sent it into the area for Thierry Tache to get above Kepa, and head in the equaliser.

1-1 at half time was a fair reflection of the game, but Arsenal started the second half strongly, so I switched to the 343 formation, bringing Tache into a deeper midfield role, alongside Mukoko Mukenga. I moved Unai San Roman into the AML role, Brian Miranda into the AMR role, and played Bernhard Stankovic as the lone striker.

This worked a treat, and when we won a free kick, Miranda sent the ball into the area for Tache to redeem himself for his red card in the previous game, by heading in his second goal of the game to give us a 2-1 lead.

Two minutes later, a good passing move ended with Stankovic heading the ball on for Miranda, who nutmegged the Arsenal defender, then drove us into a 3-1 lead.

The hosts pulled one back late on, but I was delighted with how we responded to our change of shape, to win what could be our toughest game in this group.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Hoffenheim 0

(343)====================(41212)

Stankovic 37 (Kaastrup)
    Miranda 77 (Mukenga)
    San Roman 83 (Stankovic)

Sent Off

Haidara 60

Man of the Match: Stijn Lokando

Attendance 62406

Colin Medved was on international duty, and Thierry Tache was suspended, so I brought Kevin Mokoena back into central defence, brought Amadou Haidara back into midfield, and lined up in the 343 formation.

Hoffenheim kept things tight, but we eventually broke them down when Bernhard Stankovic headed in a cross to the near post from Magnus Kaastrup.

I was a bit concerned when we went down to 10 men, when Haidara saw a straight red card for dissent, but the numerical disadvantage didn't affect us, and two more goals in a six minute spell towards the end of the game sealed the win.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 Dynamo Kyiv 1

(343)====================(433)

Miranda 48 (Mukenga)
    Diakité 81
    Miranda 83 (San Roman)

Sent Off

Batahov 32 (Dynamo Kyiv)

Attendance 65515

Alex Saputo and Stijn Lokando had low condition, so I gave young central defender Thomas Montgomery his Champions League debut, and selected Miguel Moreno in the left wingback position.

The visitors kept things tight, but their cause wasn't helped when one of their players received a straight red card for a two footed challenge in the first half.

We took the lead through Brian Miranda early in the second half following a good passing move involving Miguel Moreno, Ljupco Stojanov, and Mukoko Mukenga.

We had chances to double our lead, but failed to do so, and it looked like we were going to pay for this profligacy in front of goal, when Kyiv equalised with one of only two shots that they had on target.

My lads showed some determination though, and two minutes later, Unai San Roman received the ball from a throw in, made a run down the left, then sent a cross into the box for Miranda to head in the winning goal.

Another hard fought win.

Bundesliga

Nürnberg 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

(442 Attacking, customised) (343)

Stankovic 84 (Moreno)

Man of the Match: Magnus Kaastrup

Attendance 53124

Amadou Haidara was suspended for this game at newly promoted Nürnberg, whilst Brian Miranda and Unai San Roman had low condition, so I recalled Thierry Tache, and selected Carlos Carmona and Houssem Aouar on the right wing and left wing respectively.

This was an open game, with chances for both sides, and remained this way for over three quarters of the game. I wanted us to get on top, so brought on Callum Osborn for Houssem Aouar in the 72nd minute, and switched to the 352 Attacking formation.

This had the desired effect, and we started to put the hosts under intense pressure, which resulted in left midfielder Miguel Moreno finding Bernhard Stankovic in the area, to fire in the only goal of the game in the 84th minute.

Yet another hard fought victory.

Sint-Truiden 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

(451 customised) (352 Attacking)

Goals

Mukenga 27

Attendance 13467

I selected Callum Osborn ahead of Houssem Aouar for this game against the Belgian champions, and reverted to the 352 Attacking formation.

We were the better side in the first half, and had a deserved lead at half time after Mukoko Mukenga drove in a loose ball midway through the first half.

The second half was a bit scrappy, but we defended well to get the three points.

Bundesliga Table

A great start. 5 games, 5 wins, and 0 goals conceded. This means that we've won 11 consecutive Bundesliga games stretching back to April last season. We've had to grind out some of these wins, so I'm particularly pleased with the determination that has been shown.

I'm also pleased to see that the three teams that I consider to be our main challengers have all had a mixed start, and are in a little cluster together. Bayern, Düsseldorf, and Viktoria Köln.

Champions League Phase 1 Group B Table

I nice start there too. They've all been narrow wins, but 5 points clear with 3 games to go is a great position to be in, and hopefully we'll win the group with a bit to spare.

Foal Focus

I'm delighted with the start that Stijn Lokando has had. He seems equally at home as a left wingback as he does as a left midfielder. It's such a shame that he's struggling to settle in Germany. At some point I may have to consider cashing in on him.

Forthcoming Fixtures

A busy October coming up, with 7 fixtures. We start a run of home games with the visit of 3rd place Schalke.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:51 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Bayern/Dussel and Vik Kol with gash starts

Freiburg win with 10 men for a lot of the game was HUGE

Perfection of an update

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Couldn't ask for any more really

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

Pesky Dusseldorf spoiling that perfect start to the season, but atleast you have built up a lead over them already
    Osbourn does look great and if you can get the Torino guy over the line it would be a phenomenal signing.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

October 2032

Results

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Schalke 1

(343)====================(442 Attacking)

Mokoena 16
    Stankovic 19 (Moreno)
    Moreno 42 (Osborn)
    Friedl 67

Attendance 65515

I made one change for this game, leaving out Thierry Tache, so that I could accommodate Unai San Roman in the AML role.

We dominated the first half, despite Schalke deploying defensive tactics. Central defender Kevin Mokoena won the ball, moved forward, beat his man, then hit a swerving shot into the back of the net to give us his first goal for the club.

Three minutes later we doubled our lead, when Bernhard Stankovic headed in Miguel Moreno's free kick.

Left Wingback Moreno then capped a 10 out of 10 performance, when he received Callum Osborn's pass, and found himself in space to score his first goal for the club, to give us a 3-0 lead just before half time.

We took our foot off the gas in the second half, and Schalke managed to pull one back, but we defended well after that, for a deserved win.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 Sandhausen 0

Osborn 2 (Mukenga)
    Stankovic 28 (Mukenga)

Man of the Match: Callum Osborn

Attendance 57024

We were unchanged for the visit of newly promoted Sandhausen.

Callum Osborn received the ball from Mukoko Mukenga, and hit a 20 yard shot that gave the visitor's keeper no chance, to give us an early 1-0 lead, and the young Englishman his first goal for the club.

We utterly dominated the first half, hitting the woodwork three times, and continued to pile on the pressure, when Mukenga claimed his second assist of the game by sending a loose ball into the area for Bernhard Stankovic to double our lead.

We continued to create chances, but was wasteful in front of goal, so have to settle for a 2-0 win.

DFB Pokal 2nd Round

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Osnabrück 1
    (433)====================(442 Attacking)

Langer 8 (Bosnjak)
    Toril 23 (Dzaferi)
    Konrad 41
    Langer 45 (Toril)

Man of the Match: Benedikt Langer

Attendance 45180

I made 11 changes for this game against 2. Bundesliga side Osnabrück, who are captained by former Viktoria Köln legend Leonardo Mustaccia.

All of the goals came in a first half that we dominated. The second half was quite scrappy.

This was a good opportunity to give game time to players that are on the fringes of the first team squad, and also to rest the players that have featured regularly so far this season.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Sint-Truiden 0

(343)====================(451)

Carmona 3 (Moreno)
    Stankovic 13 (Osborn)
    Stankovic 74 (Carmona)

Man of the Match: Carlos Carmona

Attendance 58547

I restored the starting line-up to the same XI that beat Sandhausen and Schalke in recent games.

Three headed goals in a comfortable win over the Belgian champions, means that we qualify for the second phase with 2 games to spare. If we can avoid defeat at home to Arsenal in our next Champions League game, we'll win the group.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Düsseldorf 2

Jovic 7
    Moreno 9
    Stankovic 39 (Moreno)
    Jovic 71
    Stankovic 83

Attendance 72433

We were unchanged for the visit of champions Düsseldorf. Since our defeat to them in the DFL-Supercup in August, we've won 12 consecutive games in all competitions. Our last Bundesliga defeat also came against Düsseldorf in April last season, where we effectively handed the title to them. After that loss, we won our remaining 6 Bundesliga games of last season, and have won our opening 7 Bundesliga games this season.

We got off to a disappointing start, when Luka Jovic scored a superb goal, to give the visitors an early lead, but we were level just two minutes later, when Miguel Moreno struck an excellent free kick through the wall.

We went in front when Moreno turned provider, and sent a lovely cross into the box, following a good passing move involving Mukoko Mukenga and Unai San Roman, for Bernhard Stankovic to head us into a 39th minute lead.

Having dominated the first half, the second half was closer, and I was dismayed when Man of the Match Jovic scored a 71st minute equaliser.

I responded by taking off Mukoko Mukenga and Carlos Carmona, and bringing on Igor Bosnjak and Brian Miranda. This paid dividends when San Roman's cross into the box for Bosnjak was saved by the Düsseldorf keeper, but Stankovic was first to the rebound, to fire in an 83rd minute winner, that makes it 14 consecutive Bundesliga wins stretching back to last season.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 0 Arsenal 0

(343)====================(442)

Attendance 58077

We came into this game having won 13 in a row in all competitions. We were the better side throughout the game, though Arsenal did always look dangerous on the break.

The point was enough to win the group with a game to spare.

Bundesliga

Leverkusen 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

Miranda 73 (Lokando)

Sent Off

Tache 59
    San Roman 85

Man of the Match: Kevin Mokoena

Attendance 32141

I made 4 changes for this game, due to injury and low condition. We were the better side throughout the game, but went in goalless at half time, largely due to poor finishing.

We were a lot more clinical in the second half, but the Leverkusen keeper was in inspired form. Thierry Tache received a second yellow card early in the second half, so I moved Brian Miranda into the AMC role, and left Bernhard Stankovic on his own up front. This worked well. Stijn Lokando fed Miranda in space, and the Argentine international took the ball past no fewer than 5 opponents, before he drove the ball at goal for an excellent finish to give us a well deserved lead.

We then lost Unai San Roman to a second yellow card late on, but dug deep to secure the win.

Kevin Mokoena put in a 10 out of 10 performance on the left of the back three, to win the Man of the Match award, which involved him winning an incredible 14 tackles, 8 of which were key.

Bundesliga Table

I'm delighted with the start we've made. Düsseldorf beat us in the DFL-Supercup earlier this season, and crucially, did a Bundesliga double over us last season, which led to them winning the title, so the win over them was massive. It sends out a message that we want our crown back. There is of course a long way to go, but I was also encouraged by the win at Leverkusen, where we took the lead after going down to 10 men, and held on after going down to 9.

Champions League Phase 1 Group B Table

We've comfortably qualified for the second phase, and I'll be able to rest players for the final group game against Dynamo Kyiv.

Foal Focus

I nearly didn't sign Miguel, as I'd already signed a few wide players in the summer before last, but being able to play on both sides, along with his low transfer fee and wages swung it for me.

I'm glad that I did. As you can see, Miguel had to settle for a fringe role last season, but a chance came his way this season, due to Stijn Lokando having low condition, and Moritz Schmitz being injured. He's absolutely grabbed it with both hands, and his brilliant performances down the left - be it as a wingback or a wide midfielder - have earned him the Player of the Month award.

On winning this award, Viktoria Köln bid £38.5M for Miguel, which I rejected. I signed him for £1.4M.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Next up is a home game against RB Leipzig, and our last 3 Bundesliga games of November are against top 6 sides.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:51 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

On

CL done and dusted and can rest players

Moreno - what a start - and such a big offer comes in!

Looks like some tough league games in the next update

Beautiful late goal to beat Dussel

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

November 2032

Results

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 4 RB Leipzig 0

(343)====================(424)

Miranda 27
    Bosnjak 33 (Aouar)
    Stankovic 49 (Aouar)
    Bosnjak 88 (Osborn)

Sent Off

Parisi 27 (RB Leipzig)

Attendance 62020

Unai San Roman and Thierry Tache were suspended for this game, so I recalled Callum Osborn into midfield, and Houssem Aouar into the AML role.

The visitors were making life tough for us, but when one of their players was sent off midway through the first half, the floodgates opened.

Brian Miranda gave us the lead, with a perfectly executed free kick. Shortly after, Aouar had time and space to run with the ball from his own half, then deliver a cross to the near post, for Igor Bosnjak to double our lead.

Early in the second half, Aouar provided his second assist of the game, when he found Bernhard Stankovic in space to make it 3-0, then towards the end of the game, Bosnjak scored his second of the game, when he headed in Callum Osborn's corner, to complete the scoring.

Dynamo Kyiv 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 3

(433)========(4132)

Burbano 7
    Kearns 20 (Toril)
    Benítez 44
    Kearns 59 (Michel)

Man of the Match: Shane Kearns

Attendance 24777

Having won the group with a game to spare, I made 11 changes for this game, and picked players that are on the fringes of the first team squad. The side I put out had an average age of 19, and I gave debuts to goalkeeper Fillip Petrzela, and Johannes Schubert at right back.

After falling behind early on, we recovered well, were the better side, and secured a good win, to finish unbeaten in this first phase.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Augsburg 1

(343)====================(442)

Bosnjak 12 (Miranda)
    Stankovic 26 (Osborn)
    Stankovic 73
    Kröpfl 89

Attendance 59544

I restored the starting line up to the XI that beat RB Leipzig in our previous Bundesliga game.

Augsburg were keeping things tight, but Brian Miranda nodded the ball into the path of Igor Bosnjak, who dribbled past three players, then hit a shot into the top corner, to give us a 1-0 lead in the 12th minute.

Callum Osborn then found Bernhard Stankovic who also dribbled past three players, and hit a shot into the top corner, to make it 2-0 in the 26th minute.

In the 73rd minute, Houssem Aouar went on a good run. His left foot shot was parried into the path of Stankovic, who had a simple finish, to make it 3-0.

Augsburg pulled one back late on, but it was too little, too late for the visitors.

This 17th consecutive league win breaks the previous Bundesliga record.

Champions League Phase 2 Group D

Betis 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 0

(442 Attacking)=(352 Attacking)

Sent Off

Mokoena 61

Attendance 58485

We were the better side in the first half, but had no goal to show for our superiority. Kevin Mokoena was sent off for a professional foul in the secondhalf, but after a reshuffle, we contained our hosts well, to earn a decent point.

Bundesliga

Viktoria Köln 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

(532 Defensive, customised) (352 Attacking)

Tache 71 (Osborn)

Attendance 10476

A tough trip to my former club looked like it could go either way, when Benedikt Langer got injured. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise, when I brought on Thierry Tache to play behind the front two, and moved Brian Miranda up front. Seven minutes later, Callum Osborn found Tache in the area, who turned, then shot at goal to give us a 71st minute lead.

We defended superbly to see out the win.

Bundesliga Table

The winning continues, and while it's great to have won 18 consecutive Bundesliga games stretching back to last season, and have broken the previous record of 16 consecutive wins, it will count for nothing if we aren't holding aloft the Bundesliga trophy at the end of the season.

Bayern have recovered well from a mixed start, and look like our main rival for the title.

Champions League

Liverpool again! After we both qualified for the quarter finals last season, I predicted that our paths would cross again. They went on to beat us in last season's final, and now here we are again.

Foal Focus

Bernhard has been fantastic this season. He is proving to be the long term replacement for Josh Sargent that I hoped he would.

He's the only outfield player at the club to have been ever present in the Bundesliga this season, and I'm delighted to see him at the top of the goal scoring chart.

It'll be interesting to see whether he sustains this form, as he's finishing games exhausted.

Forthcoming Fixtures

7 games in 22 days in December. I'll make 11 changes for the DFB Pokal game at FC Köln, as I've already ticked off that trophy on my list of objectives.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:52 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

There is no stopping you at the moment.
    Total control of Bundesliga, but as you said, it doesn't matter how you start, It's how you finish that counts
    Some top drawer individual performances to add to the teamwork.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

Congrats on new league record

Nice win over old team - what is their stadium size - seems like the fans shunned you and didn't turn up

Decent point in CL given 10 men

Benfica and Pool should give you a decent game but for sure you should be in the top 2 of the group

Congrats on new league record

Nice win over old team - what is their stadium size - seems like the fans shunned you and didn't turn up

Decent point in CL given 10 men

Benfica and Pool should give you a decent game but for sure you should be in the top 2 of the group
    Thanks.

The Sportpark Höhenberg only holds 10500, so they were just 24 short of capacity.

The Viktoria Köln fans gave me a warm reception, but they also like my successor Alessandro Florenzi, who has delivered Champions League football.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

December 2032

Results

DFB Pokal Round of 16

FC Köln 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 3

(442 Attacking) (41212)

Schoppenhauer 2 (Lathouwers)
    Schmitz 32 (Haidara)
    Jedynak 45 (Lathouwers)

Man of the Match: Niels Lathouwers

Attendance 53481

I made 11 changes for this game at struggling Bundesliga side FC Köln, and used a formation that I don't tend to deploy. I couldn't be happier with the outcome, particularly the first half display.

Niels Lathouwers played behind the front two, and in the 2nd minute, sent the ball into the area, for Björn Schoppenhauer coming in off the left of the diamond, to head us into the lead.

Our captain for this game, Moritz Schmitz, headed in an Amadou Haidara corner in the 32nd minute, to make it 2-0, and in the 45th minute, Lathouwers found striker Jan Jedynak, who took the ball into the area, and hit a viscous shot into the top corner to make it 3-0.

The second half was open and even, with both keepers making good saves, for the scoreline to remain the same, which sees us progress into the last eight.

This win sets a new club record, with us going 21 games unbeaten in all competitions since our defeat against Düsseldorf in the DFL-Supercup in August.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Wolfsburg 0

(343)====================(4321)

Uzodimma (own goal) 45
    Stankovic 50 (Kaastrup)
    Stankovic 53 (Lokando)

Man of the Match: Bernhard Stankovic

Attendance 58963

Wolfsburg kept things tight, which meant that we had loads of possession, and put the visitors under immense pressure. This eventually paid off, when one of their defensive midfielders deflected a Magnus Kaastrup shot past his own keeper.

We kept up the pressure early in the second half, and Bernhard Stankovic headed in a Magnus Kaastrup cross in the 50th minute to make it 2-0.

Three minutes later, Stijn Lokando fed Stankovic, who dribbled past two players, then drove in a low shot to make it 3-0, and complete the scoring.

The game was fairly even after that, but this was a comfortable win in which we had 61% possession.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 Benfica 0

Bosnjak 41 (Kaastrup)
    Miranda 90 (Moreno)

Sent Off

Stojanov 61

Attendance 58071

I made two changes for the visit of a Benfica side that finished runners up in the Portuguese Primeira Liga last season, having won it the previous four seasons. They won the Champions League in 2023, and were semi finalists in 2027 and 2028, though in the last four seasons they've been knocked out in either the first or second phase.

The first half was tough. Both teams had chances, and we had to rely on Alban Lafont to make some important saves. Igor Bosnjak got on the end of a Magnus Kaastrup cross to give us a lead just before half time, that was harsh on Benfica.

We were in more control in the second half, even after having Ljupco Stojanov sent off for a professional foul.

Brian Miranda headed in a Miguel Moreno corner at the end of the game, to make sure of the three points.

Bundesliga

FC Köln 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2

(442 Attacking) (352 Attacking)

Kaastrup 6 (Moreno)
    Burkardt 38
    Osborn 85

Attendance 53479

I left out Houssem Aouar, to accommodate Thierry Tache in the 352 Attacking formation, against bottom side FC Köln.

We started well, when Magnus Kaastrup fired in a Miguel Moreno corner. As the game wore on though, the hosts looked dangerous, and we conceded our first Bundesliga goal on our travels this season, when they grabbed a 38th minute equaliser.

We started the second half well, but the FC Köln keeper was in inspired form to keep us at bay. We brought on Unai San Roman and Stijn Lokando for Igor Bosnjak and Miguel Moreno, but despite this, seemed to have run out of steam.

We then adopted an Attacking mentality for the last 15 minutes. We put the hosts under a lot of pressure, and received a huge slice of fortune, when Callum Osborn's intended cross into the box, sailed into the back of the net to give us the winning goal.

You make your own luck, and with twice as many shots on target than Köln, we deserved the win.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Hertha Berlin 0

(343)====================(Sweeper)

Stankovic 7 (Osborn)
    Stankovic 50 (Osborn)
    Lokando 89 (Vera)

Attendance 63850

I made three changes for this game against struggling Hertha Berlin. We got off to a great start, when Callum Osborn found Bernhard Stankovic in the area, who beat two men, then drove in a left foot shot to give us a lead.

The visitors were a bit more expansive in the second half, which opened the game up nicely for us. Osborn and Stankovic linked up again, when the Austrian headed in the Englishman's corner in the 50th minute.

We continued pushing for a third goal, which eventually came, when Stijn Lokando headed in a far post cross from Marcos Vera, to complete the scoring in a comfortable win.

Bundesliga

Dortmund 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2

Miranda 52
    Vera 53 (Lokando)

Sent Off

Unai San Roman 44

Man of the Match: Alban Lafont

Attendance 93308

This was a very even first half against mid table Dortmund. After we had a penalty appeal turned down early in the first half, the ref ruled in the home side's favour once again, just before half time, when we suffered a double whammy by conceding a penalty, and having Unai San Roman sent off. Thankfully, our captain Alban Lafont saved the spot kick, and we went in level at half time.

I pulled Thierry Tache deeper into midfield, and moved Brian Miranda into the AMC role, leaving Bernhard Stankovic on his own up front. We started the second half well, when Miranda fired in a beautiful free kick, to give us a 52nd minute lead, then a minute later Stijn Lokando ran past the challenge of a defender, sent a far post cross over from the left, for Marcos Vera to power in a header, which gave him his first goal of the season, and us a 2-0 lead.

Dortmund put us under pressure after that, but Lafont made some important saves, and we managed to get a rather fortunate win.

DFB Pokal Quarter Final

Borussia Mönchengladbach 1 Viktoria Köln 1 (1-1 AET) (Borussia Mönchengladbach win 5-4 on penalties)
    (343)====================(532 Defensive)

Pimentel 18 (Aguza)
    Osborn 59 (Miranda)

Attendance 43030

With our next game a fortnight away, I decided to go full strength now that we've reached this stage of the DFB Pokal, and needed to make just three changes.

My old club kept things tight, and managed to take the lead, as we approached the midway point in the first half, and we were unfortunate to be behind at half time.

We stepped things up in the second half, and in the 59th minute, Igor Bosnjak fed Stijn Lokando on the left. His cross was headed down by Brian Miranda, to Callum Osborn, who volleyed in the equaliser.

After that, they game remained close for the remainder of the second half, along with the thirty minutes of extra time.

In the penalty shoot out, we successfully converted our first four spot kicks. Viktoria Köln had missed one of their's, so it was left to our regular penalty taker Brian Miranda to score the decisive penalty. He hit the bar. My former club scored their fifth penalty, meaning sudden death.

Igor Bosnjak had his penalty saved, but Alban Lafont saved a penalty to keep us in the shoot out. Stijn Lokando converted his spot kick, and Lafont was the hero once again, by saving a second successive penalty to send us into the semi final.

Bundesliga Table

Incredibly, the winning continues. That's 22 consecutive Bundesliga wins, stretching back to April. To be eleven points clear with a game in hand, as we approach the halfway stage is excellent. We're not counting our chickens, as we have to play Bayern twice, but it feels like only a total collapse in our form will stop us from regaining the title.

DFB Pokal

I was pleased that my experimental side got past FC Köln, to reach the quarter finals. We scraped past my former club, and we meet in form Schalke in the semi finals. The other semi is between Düsseldorf and 2. Bundesliga side Greuther Fürth. I think that we have a great chance of retaining this trophy.

Champions League

Both of last season's finalists are where you would expect them to be at this stage. I wouldn't be surprised if we both qualify for the quarter finals again, and eventually meet again in the final.

Foal Focus

Callum has settled in nicely since his big money move from Tottenham in the summer. His form is keeping Amadou Haidara out of the side, and he's providing an excellent amount of goals and assists, while showing that the defensive side of his game is also decent.

He's another one that is finishing games exhausted, and it'll be hard for him to sustain this form, but I believe that we have the depth in the squad to cope with this if it happens.

Forthcoming Fixtures

A trip to Bayern awaits us in January, along with our game in hand, so not much of a winter break this year.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:53 AM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

League is done

The next question is can you go unbeaten and even win every game?!

Important last few mins goal v Koln in league to keep the above going!

Flying in CL and Cup but penno shootouts can go any way on the day!

BIG game next - hopefully the winter break doesn't mess things up at all!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Going great guns in the Bundesliga.

Back to back CL games vs Liverpool look a tasty proposition in February. Two wins there would see you through and hopefully send them on their way to going out.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

League is done

The next question is can you go unbeaten and even win every game?!

Important last few mins goal v Koln in league to keep the above going!

Flying in CL and Cup but penno shootouts can go any way on the day!

BIG game next - hopefully the winter break doesn't mess things up at all!
    The thought about going unbeaten crossed my mind. That would be immense with built in tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Renitor View Post
    Going great guns in the Bundesliga.

Back to back CL games vs Liverpool look a tasty proposition in February. Two wins there would see you through and hopefully send them on their way to going out.
    I was thinking along those lines. What better way is there to avoid meeting Liverpool in the final than doing a Champions League double over them, and putting them out of the competition.

On the other hand, there would be something pretty sweet about the club finally getting their hands on the trophy, by beating their nemesis in the final.

January 2033

Transfer News

The board vetoed the Luca Tedeschi deal again, so we did just one bit of business in this window.

I arranged the deal for Jonata in June, before I signed Callum Osborn. If I already had Osborn at the club, I probably wouldn't have gone for the young Brazilian from Vasco de Gama, but I decided to honour the deal.

I like the combination of high numbers for Creativity, Decisions, and Dribbling. Hopefully he'll provide plenty of assists. It's a free transfer, so worth the gamble I think.

Results

Bundesliga

FC Bayern 2 Borussia Mönchengladbach 0

(433)======(352 Attacking)

Goals

Szoboszlai 8
    Malen 14

Attendance 85962

Our 22 Bundesliga game winning run came to and end at the Allianz Arena.

Initially, we got off to a good start, with a couple of chances in the opening few minutes, but Bayern took the lead with their first chance of the game in the 8th minute, and doubled their lead with their second chance in the 14th minute. We could have been further behind in the 19th minute, with Bayern's final chance of the game. Up to this point, we hadn't defended well individually, or as a unit.

After that, we dominated the game. We were 8-3 ahead on shots at goal at half time. Good goalkeeping, poor finishing, and the woodwork had kept us at bay.

We had another 4 shots at goal without reply in the second half, but Man of the Match, Ron-Thorben Hoffman made important saves to secure three points for his side.

I can't have any complaints about my lads. They performed really well for most of the game, and have done brilliantly to go 9 months without a Bundesliga defeat. I've sensed that this defeat was coming, as I think that we've rode our luck in recent weeks. I'll be looking for a solid performance in a couple of weeks time, with a tough trip to Stuttgart.

The board announced after the game that they are unhappy with the performance in this defeat. This caused a heated exchange between myself and the chairman. I asked him if we're not allowed to lose a game against one of the giants of European football now and again, and pointed out that we might have defended better if he'd not vetoed the Luca Tedeschi deal. He responded by saying that I can't have extra transfer funds, and that I should leave running the business side of the club to him, the transfer budget I have is sufficient, and that I should get on with managing the team. I told him that he lacked the ambition to take this club to the next level, and stormed off. There is now unresolved conflict between us.

Bundesliga

Stuttgart 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

(Sweeper)=(352 Attacking)

Miranda 10 (Osborn)
    Talo 55

Attendance 64026

We were unchanged for the trip to 5th place Stuttgart.

We performed well in the first half. Brian Miranda volleyed in Callum Osborn's through ball, to give us a 10th minute lead, that was well deserved at half time.

The second half was a bit more even. Stuttgart got an early equaliser, but we didn't have quite the same intensity. Despite this, substitute Unai San Roman missed a glorious opportunity to score the winning goal in the 88th minute, so we have had to settle for a draw.

The unresolved conflict between myself and the chairman reared up again, when he told me that he was a little disappointed with the performance. I weren't having this. I asked him do we literally have to win every game? I reminded him that Stuttgart are a top five side, who we limited to just 3 shots at goal. Once again, I requested more transfer funds, but once again this was dismissed. I told him that he needs to consider making more money available if he wants us to win every game. He started responding, but I flounced off, saying that I don't want to hear it.

I'm left feeling disillusioned about the direction the club want to go, and the board's expectation of me. I'm going to have to think about how I approach things beyond this season.

As for the short term, I need to focus on getting us over the line in the title race. Our lead had been cut from 14 points to 9 in recent weeks, but it's still a commanding lead. We've performed pretty well in these last two games, but if we don't beat mid table Freiburg at home in our next game, I'll have to look at resting some of these players, as most of them are finishing games exhausted.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Freiburg 0

(343)====================(4321)

Miranda 53 (Lokando)
    Aouar 60 (Bosnjak)
    Kaastrup 72 (Aouar)

Man of the Match: Houssem Aouar

Attendance 65278

I made just one change for this game, leaving out Thierry Tache, so that I could accommodate Houssem Aouar in the AML role.

We dominated possession in the first half, but found it hard to break down a well organised Freiburg side. We kept persevering, and in the 53rd minute, a good run from Stijn Lokando in the left wingback role, resulted in a cross into the box for Brian Miranda to head us into a 1-0 lead.

Seven minutes later, Igor Bosnjak nodded the ball to Houssem Aouar, who dribbled into the area, then hit a fierce shot to double our lead, and score his first goal of the season.

Twelve minutes later, Aouar capped a 10 out of 10 performance when he received the ball, dribbled past two players, then found Magnus Kaastrup in the area, who had time and space to hit a low shot that made it 3-0, and complete the scoring.

League Table

I guess our fine run had to come to an end at some point. I don't think there's any shame in losing at Bayern, and I think that most teams would be happy to come away from Stuttgart with a point. Any thoughts I had about whether the team needs to be freshened up a bit have been put on the back burner after our emphatic win over Freiburg, who were unable to register a single shot at goal.

Foal Focus

This is the second time that I've featured Stijn this season. He has gone from strength to strength, and has possibly been our best player so far in this campaign. He's just as effective in the wingback role, as he is as a wide midfielder. He seems to have finally settled in Germany now, so long may this form continue.

Hennes Weisweiler vs Erik Riedel (Borussia Mönchengladbach chairman)

Despite winning a Bundesliga title, the DFB Pokal, reaching the Champions League Final, and currently sitting at the top of the Bundesliga table, with a commanding lead, my relationship with the chairman has become a bit toxic.

I was bemused by his decision to veto the Luca Tedeschi deal in the summer, but accepted it in the hope that he'd allow the deal to go through this January, if the young Italian played regularly for Torino in Serie A, which he has.

No joy there though, as the deal was vetoed once again on January 1st. I was prepared to take this on the chin, but after the chairman criticised me after the Bayern defeat, this just added fuel to the flames. Then to make matters worse, more criticism came my way after the draw at Stuttgart.

I've had enough of him now. To be fair, he praised us after the Freiburg win, but this is too little, too late. I feel slighted that he hasn't backed my judgement over Tedeschi, and I feel that my record deserves more respect. The nitpicking after failing to win a couple of tough away games shows what kind of man I'm dealing with.

He's not going to get the chance to veto any more deals, as for the foreseeable future, their won't be any. If he thinks that I'm going to be trawling for the best young talent in world football, just so that he can quash any deal that he doesn't approve of, he can think again.

The squad I currently have is strong. Any departures will have to be replaced by products from our academy, or players that come up in youth searches.

Forthcoming Fixtures

A busy February coming up, with 7 games over a period of 22 days. A trip to mid table Hoffenheim awaits us.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:54 AM.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Hopefully you win the league and champions league this year and again next and then you can say bye bye to the chairman if the Barcelona job becomes available. He does seem unreasonable. What are his stats?

I've personally not had any interference from Chairmen for a long time but I normally buy established stars.

I wonder if a Chairman's reaction is linked to a player's PA?

Were the player ratings particularly poor vs Bayern and Stuttgart?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

That chairman is a real asshat.

Did you scout Tedeschi before making the bids ? I think if the player has been scouted I believe this stops any deals from being vetoed. Could be wrong though and it could only apply to players whose attributes are hidden when playing with fog of war on.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Treated Unfairly For This Useful Post:

Shame about the Bayern loss

ooooooooooooooooh - big boardroom bust up!

How much you bidding for Luca that is getting vetoed? What is Luca value?

Thierry Tache is such a good name

Helluva month coming up - prioritising CL or league?

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Renitor View Post
    Hopefully you win the league and champions league this year and again next and then you can say bye bye to the chairman if the Barcelona job becomes available. He does seem unreasonable. What are his stats?

I've personally not had any interference from Chairmen for a long time but I normally buy established stars.

I wonder if a Chairman's reaction is linked to a player's PA?

Were the player ratings particularly poor vs Bayern and Stuttgart?
    The chairman has a Interference rating of 5 (Quite reserved, will only sometimes interfere in transfer decisions)

I need to make sure we sustain success though, as he has a Patience rating of 3. (Impatient, expects instant results from his staff)

You could be right about a player's PA. Luca Tedeschi probably has the same, if not close to the same CA and PA, as his attributes are so high. I wouldn't be surprised if his reputation is low though, which could be the problem.

Against Bayern, three players got fives, two got sixes, and the rest got sevens, whereas against Stuttgart, one player got a six, one got a nine, and the rest had sevens or eights.

Quote Originally Posted by Treated Unfairly View Post
    That chairman is a real asshat.

Did you scout Tedeschi before making the bids ? I think if the player has been scouted I believe this stops any deals from being vetoed. Could be wrong though and it could only apply to players whose attributes are hidden when playing with fog of war on.
    Yeah, I tried that. By coincidence, I read a Facebook post where someone was complaining about a vetoed deal, and someone else suggested this.

Shame about the Bayern loss

ooooooooooooooooh - big boardroom bust up!

How much you bidding for Luca that is getting vetoed? What is Luca value?

Thierry Tache is such a good name

Helluva month coming up - prioritising CL or league?
    His value is around £7M. After getting multiple bids rejected, we eventually agreed a deal for £37M plus £38.5M after 50 league games. Expensive, but his attributes warranted it I feel. I also see similar size deals going through at the start of every transfer window.

I'm not prioritising either competition in terms of resting players for one game, to ensure they're fit and fresh for another, but I would prefer us to win the Bundesliga.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

February 2033

Results

Bundesliga

Hoffenheim 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2

Stankovic 7 (Kaastrup)
    Stojanov 81 (Miranda)

Man of the Match: Magnus Kaastrup

Attendance 31953

Kevin Mokoena came in for the suspended Facundo Rossi, for this game against mid table Hoffenheim.

We got off to a great start, when Bernhard Stankovic got on the end of a Magnus Kaastrup cross, to give us a 7th minute lead.

We dominated from start to finish, and could have been well ahead at half time. Brian Miranda had hit the woodwork twice, and former Viktoria Köln keeper, Martin Necas made a string of fine saves.

We kept up the pressure in the second half, but had to wait until the 81st minute, when Miranda headed a corner into the path of central defender Ljupco Stojanov, who drove in his first goal for the club, to complete the scoring.

DFB Pokal Semi Final

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 Schalke 0

Miranda 22 (Osborn)
    Bosnjak 55 (Osborn)

Attendance 58082

The line up was unchanged for this game, just a different formation. Schalke kept things tight early doors, but as soon as they put less emphasis on defence, we pounced. Callum Osborn sent a cross to the far post, for Brian Miranda to head us into a 22nd minute lead.

Early in the second half, Osborn received a loose ball, and found the run into the area by Igor Bosnjak, who finished well, to double our lead and complete the scoring.

A comfortable win, and Schalke had their keeper to thank for keeping the score down.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 5 Hannover 96 1

(352)====================(532 Attacking)

Benítez 13 (Langer)
    Benítez 25 (Langer)
    Rossi 47 (Haidara)
    Benítez 55 (Moreno)
    Jedynak 76 (Moreno)
    Vonmoos 89

Sent Off

San Roman

Man of the Match: Leonel Benítez

This game against struggling Hannover 96 came just three days after the win over Schalke, so I made seven changes to the starting line-up, due to low condition, and returned to the flat 352 formation.

A lot of the lads that came in haven't played much this season, especially in recent weeks, so I was delighted with how they grabbed the opportunity that came their way.

Key Moments

13: Leonel Benítez gets on the end of a Benedikt Langer knockdown to give us the lead.

25: Langer plays a nice little through ball to Benítez, whose low drive doubled our lead.

47: Facundo Rossi heads in Amadou Haidara's corner, for his first goal of the season.

55: Miguel Moreno sends over a cross from the left, for Benítez to head us into a 4-0 lead, and complete his hat-trick.

62: Unai San Roman receives a yellow card for a foul, then in a display of petulance, kicks the ball away in anger, to get an immediate second yellow card, and is sent off for the third time this season.

76: Moreno's near post cross was headed in by substitute Jan Jedynak.

89: Kevin Mokoena was beaten in the air following a cross, to deny us a clean sheet.

A special mention has to go to striker Leonel Benítez, for grabbing a hat-trick in his first Bundesliga start this season. This earned him the Man of the Match award, and his 10 out of 10 performance included him working his socks off by winning 5 tackles. He also won 7 aerial duels, and all 6 of his shots were on target.

We also had 10 out of 10 performances from winger Miguel Moreno, and striker Benedikt Langer.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 0 Liverpool 2

(352)====================(442 Attacking)

Goals

Weglarz 37
    Carter 47

Attendance 58038

The win over Hannover 96 took a lot out of Miguel Moreno, so the only change that I made was to bring back Stijn Lokando.

This is a good Liverpool side. Along with being the reigning European champions, they have won the last two Premier League titles, and are the current leaders. They also recently won the FIFA Club World Cup.

We shaded it in terms of chances in the first half, but didn't defend well, and found ourselves behind at half time.

More sloppiness early in the second half meant that they doubled their lead.

Liverpool let us have plenty of possession after that, but controlled the space well, meaning we were able to create very little.

Perhaps leaving out Callum Osborn, Brian Miranda, and Bernhard Stankovic was a mistake, but I can't be certain that selecting them would have produced a better result for us, and it would have been very difficult to drop anyone after the win over Hannover 96.

Even the chairman didn't slag us off!

Bundesliga

Sandhausen 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 4

Haidara 9 (Bosnjak)
    Aouar 18
    Benítez 32 (Vera)
    Langer 77

Man of the Match: Amadou Haidara

Attendance 15393

Unai San Roman was suspended for this game against struggling Sandhausen, so I recalled Houssem Aouar, and deployed him behind the front two.

We dominated this game from start to finish. We had 19 shots at goal (13 on target) to their 1, which was an overhit pass.

Key Moments

9: Igor Bosnjak took control of a loose ball, and found Amadou Haidara's run into the box. The Malian international hit a half-volley with his weaker left foot, to give us a 1-0 lead.

18: Haidara fed Bosnjak, who took the ball into the box, and hit a fierce shot that was parried into the path of Houssem Aouar, who made it 2-0.

32: Marcos Vera received a loose ball on the right, got to the byline, then floated in a cross to the near post, for Leonel Benítez to head us into a 3-0 lead.

77: A header at goal from Benítez was parried into the path of Benedikt Langer, who made it 4-0, and completed the scoring.

Liverpool 2 Borussia Mönchengladbach 0

Goals

Carter 45
    Weglarz 70

Sent Off

Facundo Rossi

Attendance 54050

We were unchanged for this game at Liverpool.

The hosts dominated from start to finish. Shortly before half time, I switched to the 532 Attacking formation, in an attempt to stem the tide, but it made no difference. Facundo Rossi was sent off for a professional foul, and Liverpool took the lead from the resulting free kick.

They kept up the pressure in the second half, and deservedly doubled their lead in the 70th minute.

To be honest, we had Alban Lafont to thank for keeping the score down.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 0 Stuttgart 1

(4132)===================(Sweeper, customised)

Goals

Nmecha (pen) 59

Attendance 65492

Central defender Kevin Mokoena, and wide players Marcos Vera and Stijn Lokando had low condition for this game, so I brought in Jim Whelan, Moritz Schmitz, and Daniel Michel. I used the 4132 formation, which has worked well in the past.

Stuttgart kept things tight throughout the game, and despite us being in complete control in the first half, we wasn't able to create much.

The second half was going much the same way, and on one of Stuttgart's rare forays forward, Michel - making his first Bundesliga start of the season - gave away a needless penalty.

Shortly after the visitors scored from the resulting spot kick, I made substitutions that allowed me to switch to the 352 formation. We put Stuttgart under considerable pressure for the remainder of the game, but the woodwork, along with good goalkeeping kept us at bay, to see us drop our first Bundesliga points at home this season in an unfortunate defeat.

Tables

Bayern are in great form. They've won their last 7 Bundesliga games, and are 18 Bundesliga games unbeaten. This means that the 14 point lead we had over them has been cut to just 6 points.

Whilst they deserve praise for this great run, I can't let myself off the hook. We might have been unlucky at Bayern and Stuttgart in January, but I have to hold my hands up and say that I got it wrong in our home game against Stuttgart recently.

I had to make changes, but could have easily brought in like for like, and continued with either the 352 or 343 formations that have brought us maximum points at home this season, but instead I gave first Bundesliga starts of the season to three players, in order to use the 4132 formation, and it backfired on me.

Of course there's no guarantee that we would have beaten Stuttgart had I chosen one of the three at the back formations, but it would have at least made more sense than to have changed to something else.

The Liverpool defeats need to be scrutinised too. I had to make a load of changes for the Hannover 96 game, which included leaving out three of my best players in terms of goal involvement, Callum Osborn, Brian Miranda, and Bernhard Stankovic, due to low condition. The players that came in did brilliantly against struggling Hannover, but does that qualify them to line up against against the World and European champions? Perhaps not. Again, there's no guarantee that selecting those three players would have got us a result, but it probably would have made more sense. I may need to reconsider my selection policy of 'don't change a winning team' to 'pick the best players for big games'.

We need to get ourselves on a good run of Bundesliga form, and at least maintain the 6 point lead that we have over them, but better still, increase this lead if Bayern slip up.

In the Champions League, the Betis game is 'must win' I'll select my strongest XI available for that one, though I won't rest anyone for the game prior to that at Schalke. We might be able to afford a slip up at Benfica if we do beat Betis, but I'll still select my best XI that are available.

DFB Pokal

On a brighter note, I'm pleased to have reached the final for the second year running. We'll play Bundesliga champions Düsseldorf in the final. At the start of the season, I wasn't too bothered how we got on in the competition, but once we reached the last eight, I felt like we should give it our best shot of trying to retain the trophy. Hopefully it'll be part of a double.

Foal Focus

As you can see, Kevin is one of the best defenders in the Bundesliga. He's been excellent since he arrived, and was one of my first signings. An absolute steal at £300k.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Schalke away won't be easy. The start of a run of 5 games over a period of 15 days. This will be a test of the quality of my squad.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:55 AM.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Well - that was a funny old month!

FLying along and all good

Then you came up against THE MIGHTY REDS

Makes CL group a bit more exciting and does put pressure on Betis game now - they win that and you're out!

Still expect you to qualify a even if you draw against them surely they won't beat Pool - but you can't rely on that

Not ideal v Stuttgart but you would have taken a 6 point lead at this point of the season if I would have offered you that!

Good to see Chairman has kept quiet

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Well - that was a funny old month!

FLying along and all good

Then you came up against THE MIGHTY REDS

Makes CL group a bit more exciting and does put pressure on Betis game now - they win that and you're out!

Still expect you to qualify a even if you draw against them surely they won't beat Pool - but you can't rely on that

Not ideal v Stuttgart but you would have taken a 6 point lead at this point of the season if I would have offered you that!

Good to see Chairman has kept quiet
    The chairman has been praising a lot of our wins lately. I'm still not happy with him vetoing the Luca Tedeschi deal though!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast