March 2033

Results

Bundesliga

Schalke 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

(4132)===(352 Attacking)

Goals (Assisters in brackets)

Langer 23 (Bosnjak)

Attendance 66185

I recalled Kevin Mokoena, Marcos Vera, and Stijn Lokando to the starting line-up for this trip to 5th place Schalke.

I got the response I was looking for in a dominant first half. Igor Bosnjak found the run of Benedikt Langer, who finished well, to give us a 23rd minute lead. The visitors had their keeper to thank for keeping the score down.

The second half was closer, but Alban Lafont had little to do, and we contained Schalke well, to secure an important and well earned three points.

Champions League Phase 2 Group D

Borussia Mönchengladbach 4 Betis 0

(352)====================(442 Defensive)

Miranda (pen) 17
    Miranda 20 (Osborn)
    Bosnjak 26 (Haidara)
    Haidara 66

Man of the Match: Brian Miranda

Attendance 58078

Key Moments

17: Brian Miranda was brought down in the box by the Betis keeper - who was lucky to escape with just a yellow card - then got up, and gave us the lead with the resulting penalty.

20: Callum Osborn gathered up a loose ball, then sent it into the area for Miranda to climb above the Betis defender, and head us into a 2-0 lead.

26: Miranda's shot won us a corner, which Amadou Haidara whipped in for Igor Bosnjak to head us into a 3-0 lead.

66: Miranda's free kick was saved by the Betis keeper, but the rebound fell to Haidara, who smashed us into a 4-0 lead to complete the scoring.

Summary

I made four changes for this game against Betis, due to suspension and low condition.

We dominated the game from start to finish, and the returning Brian Miranda was on fire up front. His 10 out of 10 Man of the Match performance included him having an incredible 10 shots at goal. 6 were on target, and 1 hit the post.

This win means that we leapfrog Betis to move into 2nd place, with the Spaniards 2 points behind us with 1 game to go.

If we draw at Benfica we will qualify for the quarter finals, but if Betis fail to beat Liverpool, we will qualify regardless.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 4 Nürnberg 0

(352)====================(442 customised)

Miranda 37 (Haidara)
    Lokando 42
    Haidara 45
    Bosnjak 50 (Miranda)

Sent Off

Montgomery 51

Man of the Match: Amadou Haidara

Attendance 63415

Key Moments

37: Amadou Haidara dinked a little through ball to Brian Miranda, whose low drive gave us a 1-0 lead.

42: Stijn Lokando took control of a loose ball, and smashed a shot in from distance to make it 2-0.

45: The Nürnberg keeper parried a Leonel Benítez header into the path of Haidara, who had an easy finish to make it 3-0.

50: Benítez laid the ball off to Igor Bosnjak, who drove forward, played a one-two with Miranda, beat an opponent, the drove in a low shot and scored the best goal of the game to make it 4-0.

51: Young central defender Thomas Montgomery pushed over his opponent needlessly, to receive a straight red card.

Summary

This was another dominant performance in which we had 64% possession, and 17 shots at goal (13 on target) to bottom club Nürnberg's 2 (1 on target).

Brian Miranda put in a second successive 10 out of 10 performance. Man of the Match Amadou Haidara also put in a 10 out of 10 performance, which saw the 35 year old Malian international win 4 tackles, complete 4 successful dribbles, and have 6 shots at goal (5 on target) to go with his goal and assist from the heart of midfield.

Benfica 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2

(433)====(352 Attacking)

Goals (BM in bold, assisters in brackets)

Benítez 21 (Kaastrup)
    Aouar 49 (Lokando)
    Rodrygo 88

Attendance 65626

We were the better side in the first half, and had a deserved lead at half time, courtesy of Leonel Benítez getting on the end of a chip into the box by Magnus Kaastrup, and having the space to finish well with a low hard shot.

We doubled our lead early in the second half when Stijn Lokando sent the ball into the area towards Houssem Aouar - playing behind the front two - who took the ball in his stride, and finished comfortably.

Benfica dominated possession after that, and put us under a lot of pressure. They eventually pulled one back, but it was too little, too late, and we held on for the win, which was harsh on the hosts.

Bundesliga

RB Leipzig 3 Borussia Mönchengladbach 4

(424)======(352 Attacking)

Nebel 5
    Haidara 21 (Miranda)
    Aouar 45 (Rossi)
    Nebel (pen) 52 (Itoua)
    Lokando 61 (Haidara)
    Cardoso dos Santos 64
    Langer 90 (Haidara)

Man of the Match: Amadou Haidara

Attendance 42511

I made three changes for the trip to struggling RB Leipzig, due to suspension and low condition.

Key Moments

5: RB Leipzig take the lead with the first effort at goal for either side. Alban Lafont could have done better. 0-1

21: Brian Miranda clipped a free kick into the box, which Amadou Haidara headed in to make it 1-1

: Central defender Facundo Rossi hit a direct ball to Houssem Aouar in his position behind the front two, who turned, took the ball into the area, and drove us into a deserved 2-1 lead.

52: Central defender Ljupco Stojanov fouled former Viktoria Köln striker Yhoan Itoua in the box to give away a penalty. The hosts made no mistake from the spot kick, to make it 2-2

61: Stijn Lokando headed in a Haidara corner to make it 3-2.

64: Former Viktoria Köln midfielder Gilmar Cardoso dos Santos headed in an equaliser for RB Leipzig to make it 3-3. Again, Lafont will have been disappointed.

78: I took off goalscorer Stijn Lokando, and our top scorer Bernhard Stankovic, and brought on Miguel Moreno and Benedikt Langer.

90: We won an injury time corner. Haidara drifted it in, and substitute Benedikt Langer got above his marker to head in the winning goal! 4-3.

Summary

A hugely entertaining game. After falling behind early on, we got ourselves in front on the stroke of half time.

The second half was much more even. We couldn't hold onto a lead, but my inspired double substitution gave us what we needed to get the winning goal.

The boys showed incredible determination. They must really want this Bundesliga title.

Amadou Haidara put in a 10 out of 10 Man of the Match performance for the second consecutive Bundesliga game. No player made more passes, and a goal and two assists is an excellent return.

Bundesliga Table

We've managed to extend our lead over Bayern by a couple of points, courtesy of them drawing against Leverkusen, and us getting 3 very different wins out of 3. The Bavarians are now 21 Bundesliga games unbeaten.

We did well to get a win against a good Schalke side. We were solid and determined. The win against Nürnberg was comfortable, and although we made hard work of getting 3 points at RB Leipzig, the determination to win was impressive.

The win over Betis turned out to be crucial, as the Spaniards managed to beat an under strength Liverpool side that had already won the group.

While most of the squad are showing better form domestically than in Europe, one player is saving his best performances for the Champions League. Brian Miranda. After the Liverpool defeats, I felt that our chances of emulating last season's achievement of reaching the final would be hard to match. However, if Miranda is fit, and remains up for it, I think that he could drag us into the final again.

Player Focus

Amadou joined the club in the January of 2030, seven months before my arrival. Well done to my predecessor Patrick Helmes for bringing him in (along with Brian Miranda). As you can see from the images above though, the Malian international barely played in his first few months at the club. I made him a regular in the side in my first season here, and he was a solid performer in that title winning season.

Amadou stepped it up last season with some great performances, and his impressive record of goals and assists helped us to reach the Champions League Final, exceed our previous season's points total in the Bundesliga, and win the DFB Pokal.

He started this season in the side, and was doing well until he was sent off against Hoffenheim on Matchday 4. Amadou's subsequent suspension meant that Callum Osborn came into the side, and kept his place with a string of superb performances. Meanwhile, Amadou got on with working hard in training, with no complaints about not returning to the side.

In the January transfer window, I rejected a £2.4M bid from Viktoria Köln for his services, as I knew I'd need him again at some point. His chance eventually came, and he has carried on where he left off with some sublime performances. In our 5 games this month, he has scored 3 goals, provided 4 assists, and has put in 2 Man of the Match winning performances, getting a rating of 10 out of 10 each time.

I'm touched that he has acknowledged the impact that I have had on his career. This shows what a good professional he is, and what a great example he is setting to the younger players at the club.

Forthcoming Fixtures

We have what could be a season defining month coming up. An all German Champions League Quarter Final sees us up up against reigning Bundesliga champions Düsseldorf. Our respective league form suggests that we are the favourites to go through, but they are obviously a dangerous opponent.

Some tough Bundesliga fixtures too. All of the sides that we play are in the top half of the table. If we remain 7 or 8 points clear at the top of the table, going into the Bayern game at the end of the month, a win over them will clinch the title with 3 games to spare.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:56 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Huge CL win v Betis and was needed after they beat Pool!
    Awesome in league - mad game v Leip!

Haidara rolling back the years - nice piece on him

Helluva month coming up - some really tough fixtures there

Did Dussel qualify in CL with ease? Not sure if that’s a good draw for you or not?!

Eight points clear with eight games left. Surely that's done and dusted?

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Huge CL win v Betis and was needed after they beat Pool!
    Awesome in league - mad game v Leip!

Haidara rolling back the years - nice piece on him

Helluva month coming up - some really tough fixtures there

Did Dussel qualify in CL with ease? Not sure if that’s a good draw for you or not?!
    Düsseldorf won a group of death which contained Real Sociedad, Chelsea, and PSG. There were just 3 points separating top and bottom. I think that they are more than capable of eliminating us if we're not at our best.

Quote Originally Posted by Renitor View Post
    Eight points clear with eight games left. Surely that's done and dusted?
    Under normal circumstances I'd agree. However, Bayern are 21 games unbeaten, so more than capable of stringing a run of wins together. We have to play Leverkusen, who ended Bayern's winning run, along with 3rd place Viktoria Köln, and 4th place Düsseldorf, whilst competing in the latter stages of the Champions League, so I think that there's the potential for us to drop points.

Having said that, I'd rather be in the position we're in - 8 points clear with those fixtures - than 8 points adrift with a seemingly easier run in.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

April 2033

Results

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 1 Leverkusen 0

(352)====================(4321)

Miranda 3 (Moreno)

Man of the Match: Miguel Moreno

Attendance 62863

Winger Miguel Moreno and striker Benedikt Langer were rewarded for the impact they made as substitutes in our previous game, with starts against Leverkusen. I also left out Houssem Aouar, so that I could accommodate Callum Osborn in the 352 formation.

We got off to a great start, when Moreno crossed the ball into the box from the left, and Brian Miranda got above the Leverkusen keeper to head us into a 3rd minute lead.

We were unlucky not to be further ahead at half time in a dominant opening first 45 minutes.

The second half was much more even, and we had a late scare when the Leverkusen attacker took the ball around Alban Lafont, but our French international keeper somehow managed to atone for this, and made a save.

Miguel Moreno justified his selection with a 10 out of 10 Man of the Match performance, but this was a very solid team display. We won 35 tackles to their 14, meaning that we had 55% possession.

Champions League Quarter Final 1st Leg

Düsseldorf 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2

(433)======(352 Attacking)

Miranda 40 (Kaastrup)
    Miranda 45 (Rossi)

Attendance 53519

I made three changes for this game. Marcos Vera had low condition, so I recalled Magnus Kaastrup to right midfield. Benedikt Langer was injured, so I recalled Leonel Benítez up front, and I left out Callum Osborn to accommodate Houssem Aouar behind the front two.

The first half was a dour, cagey affair. However, in the 40th minute, Magnus Kaastrup received the ball on the right, beat two opponents, then floated in a cross to the near post for Brian Miranda to head us into a 1-0 lead.

On the stroke of half time, Facundo Rossi sent a free kick into the area, for Miranda to climb above a Düsseldorf defender, and head us into a 2-0 lead.

We came under immense pressure in the second half. After a while, I switched to the 352 Defensive formation, as there seemed to be a real danger that conceding a goal would give Düsseldorf the springboard to stage a comeback. This change worked well, and we were able to contain the hosts a lot better.

Brian Miranda took his goals well, and the quality he possesses is so important. Alban Lafont also deserves a special mention for a very solid performance in goal, saving 5 shots on target. Another player who deserves a mention is Facundo Rossi, who at the heart of the back three, won an incredible 10 tackles, as well as winning 2 headers, making 5 interceptions, and providing the assist for the second goal.

Bundesliga

Düsseldorf 2 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

(433)======(352 Attacking)

Raskin 41
    Lokando 60 (Aouar)
    Santini 76

Sent Off

Magnus Kaastrup 40

Attendance 53564

Igor Bosnjak was suspended for this game, so Callum Osborn returned to the side, to partner Amadou Haidara in midfield.

We were under the cosh from the kick off, and Alban Lafont made a string of fine saves to keep Düsseldorf at bay. I could sense that it was only a matter of time before we conceded, so switched to the 343 formation.

Initially this evened out the game, but Magnus Kaastrup made a reckless two footed challenge in our box to concede a penalty. The experienced Danish international received a straight red card.

It looked like we had earned a reprieve when Lafont saved the penalty, but shortly afterwards, the hosts deservedly took the lead.

Early in the second half I took off the ineffective Callum Osborn, and brought on Stijn Lokando, moving Houssem Aouar into midfield. This had an almost immediate impact when Aouar received the ball, moved forward, beat a man, then sent the ball into the area for Lokando to head in an equaliser.

As the game wore on though, Düsseldorf were able to make their extra man count, and went back in front in the 76th minute.

Bernhard Stankovic came on for Leonel Benítez late on, and could have grabbed an equaliser, but this would have been harsh on the hosts, who were well worth the win.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 Viktoria Köln 1

(352)====================(532 Defensive)

Vera 48 (Miranda)
    Benítez 70 (Moreno)
    Lehner 83

Man of the Match: Leonel Benítez

Attendance 55847

Marcos Vera came in for the suspended Magnus Kaastrup on the right side of midfield, and I dropped Callum Osborn, to bring back Igor Bosnjak.

We dominated possession in the first half, but my former club have a solid defence, so whilst we were untroubled defensively, we could only create a limited amount of chances.

We started the second half well though, and in the 48th minute Bosnjak received a loose ball, and sent it into the area for Brian Miranda to lay it into the path of Vera, who gave us a 1-0 lead.

The second half was very cagey, but in the 70th minute, Facundo Rossi fed Houssem Aouar in midfield, who beat a man, then sent the ball into the area for Miguel Moreno to nod the ball into the path of Leonel Benítez. The Argentine finished well to make it 2-0, and cap a brilliant move.

Marvin Lehner pulled one back in the 83rd minute, but we held on for an important three points.

Champions League Quarter Final 2nd Leg

Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 Düsseldorf 0
    (Borussia Mönchengladbach win 5-0 on aggregate)

(352)====================(433)

Goals

Miranda 12 (Haidara)
    Miranda 19 (Vera)
    Benítez 76 (Miranda)

Sent Off

Rees (Düsseldorf) 67

Houssem Aouar had low condition after the Viktoria Köln win, so I left him out, and recalled Callum Osborn.

We came into this game with a 2-0 lead from the first leg, but wanted to win this game, and took a fairly early lead when Igor Bosnjak found Amadou Haidara in the area. The Malian fed Brian Miranda, who turned, and then hit a shot to make it 1-0 in the 12th minute.

Seven minutes later, Marcos Vera hit the ball towards Miranda, who took the ball into the box, beat a man, and fired us into a 2-0 lead.

We wrapped things up in the 76th minute, when a good passing move between Callum Osborn, Thierry Tache, and Carlos Carmona led to Leonel Benítez receiving the ball. The young Argentine played a one two with his compatriot Brian Miranda, then ran into the box, hit a shot that was initially saved, but he was first to the rebound to make it 3-0.

Bundesliga

Augsburg 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 1

(442 Attacking) (352 Attacking)

Benítez 90 (Ericsson)

Sent Off

Höfler (Augsburg) 60

Man of the Match: Leonel Benítez

Attendance 32737

Marcos Vera and Amadou Haidara picked up injuries in the win over Düsseldorf, so I recalled Houssem Aouar, and played him behind the front two, and selected Stijn Lokando to play left midfield, with Miguel Moreno moving from that position to the right of midfield.

Augsburg started the game in 8th place, and earlier in the month, held Bayern to a 2-2 draw at the Allianz Arena, so I was expecting a tough game.

The hosts had a chance in the 4th minute, which went well over the bar. That was their first and last chance of the game. From then on, we completely dominated, and had 15 efforts at goal. Nine were on target, and two hit the woodwork. The Augsburg keeper was in fine form.

After about three quarters of the game, we seemed to have run out of gas, so I made a triple substitution. Off came Moreno, Lokando, and Aouar, and on came Unai San Roman to play left midfield, young Daniel Ericsson to play on the right, and Thierry Tache to play behind the front two.

This didn't have an immediate impact, so we adopted an Attacking mentality with just a few minutes left. This paid off in stoppage time, when Ericsson received a loose ball on the right, and sent a cross into the box. Leonel Benítez outjumped the keeper, and headed in a dramatic and deserved winner!!!

Bundesliga Table

Our win at the start of the month, over a Leverkusen side that held Bayern to a draw in March, coincided with Bayern dropping points at home to Augsburg, which allowed us to go 10 points clear.

Then came the defeat at Düsseldorf. As disappointing as that was, imagine my relief when my former club Viktoria Köln beat Bayern to end their long unbeaten run.

We then managed good, solid wins against Viktoria Köln and Augsburg to match Bayern's wins over Wolfsburg and Dortmund to go into our next game......against Bayern!

If we avoid defeat, we'll be champions with three games to spare. In all honesty though, even if we lose, we need just 3 points from the following 3 games to win the title. I can't see us failing to manage that, and if we can't, then we don't deserve to be champions. This is all worst case scenario though. We clinched the title two seasons ago with a win over Bayern, and I'll be looking for us to do the same again.

Champions League

I think we did well to get a 5-0 aggregate win over Düsseldorf, and we'll meet Leicester City in the semi final. Leicester have finished runners up in the Premier League three times in this save. This is the first time that they reached the semi final stage of the Champions League.

I expect it to be tough. They won their first phase group ahead of PSG, and won their second phase group ahead of Barcelona. They managed a narrow aggregate win over Atletico Madrid in the quarter final. Leicester are currently in 3rd place in the Premier League, which is where they finished last season, but are well adrift of the top two, Chelsea and Liverpool.

The other semi final is between Liverpool, who beat Real Sociedad 5-2 on aggregate in the quarter final, and Barcelona, who managed a narrow aggregate win over Ajax in the other quarter final.

Player Focus

Despite currently having the highest average rating in the Bundesliga this season, Brian's goal return has been quite ordinary at domestic level. The Champions League however is a different matter. He scored 4 goals and provided 1 assist in the 5-0 aggregate win over Düsseldorf. I said in my previous update that he could drag us into the final, and if he's at his best against Leicester, we'll have a great chance of getting there again.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Win, lose, or draw, I'll do an update after the Bayern game.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:57 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Fantastic league position and it does seem that the fat lady is warming up her vocal chords.

Could be a repeat of the Champions League final with Liverpool again.

Last year you had the better of them in the group and they beat you in the final. This year they got the better of you in the group so hopefully the final will flip too!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

League is done

Can now rest players for CL

Very impressive battering of Dussel in CL

Seems maybe the best SF draw you could get?

Miranda

Fantastic league position and it does seem that the fat lady is warming up her vocal chords.

Could be a repeat of the Champions League final with Liverpool again.

Last year you had the better of them in the group and they beat you in the final. This year they got the better of you in the group so hopefully the final will flip too!
    Yeah, I reckon Liverpool will reach the final again.

League is done

Can now rest players for CL

Very impressive battering of Dussel in CL

Seems maybe the best SF draw you could get?

Miranda
    I agree. On paper, Leicester seem to be the least difficult of the three teams we could have got

Borussia Mönchengladbach vs FC Bayern

Champions!!!

A hard fought win over Bayern sees us match last season's club record points total, to regain the Bundesliga title with three games to spare.

Team News

I rewarded young Daniel Ericsson and Unai San Roman for the impact they made as substitutes against Augsburg, with starts in this game.

Key Moments

31: Former Viktoria Köln left back Jose Vitor Belo da Silva gave Bayern the lead, against the run of play. 0-1

41: Unai San Roman received the ball from a throw in, then crossed it to the near post, for Leonel Benítez to head in an equaliser. 1-1

43: Houssem Aouar received a loose ball, then sent it into the area for Benítez to head us into a 2-1 lead.

45: Aouar was fouled just outside the box, and Brian Miranda fired in his trademark free kick against Bayern, to make it 3-1 just before half time.

68: Bayern pulled one back to set up a nervy final quarter of the game. 3-2

90: Daniel Ericsson was brought down in the box to win us a penalty. Leonel Benítez' effort was saved, to deny the young Argentine a glorious hat-trick.

Final Score: 3-2. Borussia Mönchengladbach are champions.

Man of the Match: Unai San Roman

Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:58 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Absolutely smashed it.

Looks like your old club Viktoria Koln are going great guns too. Third with a game in hand - thanks to the great position you left them in.

Now for the cups! - Cup final will probably be moved to midweek after if you reach the Champions League final for yet another meeting with Dusseldorf. I think the sixth of the season? With you leading 3 -2 in games although took the silverware in the Super Cup. Would be good to avenge that defeat.

A Treble should show the Chairman what a great manager he has and to stop interfering in the way you manage the team!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

Great stuff - and even sweeter doing it over Bayern

Shame Benitez missed the last min pen - maybe he tried a dodgy panenka or something

Well deserved league title

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Absolutely smashed it.

Looks like your old club Viktoria Koln are going great guns too. Third with a game in hand - thanks to the great position you left them in.

Now for the cups! - Cup final will probably be moved to midweek after if you reach the Champions League final for yet another meeting with Dusseldorf. I think the sixth of the season? With you leading 3 -2 in games although took the silverware in the Super Cup. Would be good to avenge that defeat.

A Treble should show the Chairman what a great manager he has and to stop interfering in the way you manage the team!
    Thanks. Viktoria Köln are doing well. I might do a little feature on them at the end of the season.

You're right, this will be the sixth time we meet Düsseldorf this season. It would be nice to complete a double this season, but the treble would be immense!

Great stuff - and even sweeter doing it over Bayern

Shame Benitez missed the last min pen - maybe he tried a dodgy panenka or something

Well deserved league title
    Benítez miss!

https://images.app.goo.gl/KtRQabSisWH2J9uv8

May 2033

Results

Champions League Semi Final 1st Leg

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 Leicester City 0

(352)====================(442 Attacking, customised)

Miranda 5 (Osborn)
    Miranda 15 (Osborn)

Sent Off

Dixon (Leicester) 15

Attendance 59266

We were unchanged from the team that beat Bayern.

We got off to a great start, when Callum Osborn received the ball from Igor Bosnjak, then sent a short cross to the near post, for Brian Miranda to head us into a 5th minute lead.

Ten minutes later, Osborn was brought down in the box by the Leicester keeper, to win us a penalty. The keeper received a straight red card, and Miranda made no mistake from the spot kick.

We dominated the remainder of the game. Leicester's substitute keeper made a string of fine saves to keep the score down, in a game in which we had 64% possession, and 14 shots (10 on target) to their 1 off target shot.

If we defend well at the King Power stadium, we'll go through to the final.

Meanwhile at Anfield, Liverpool beat Barcelona 2-1.

Bundesliga

Wolfsburg 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 0

(343)======(532 Attacking)

Attendance 33693

I made eleven changes for the trip to mid table Wolfsburg. We lined up with a team of fringe players, in a formation that we don't tend to use, as I feel that our remaining Bundesliga games can be used to see what does and doesn't work, and who does and doesn't impress me.

Despite failing to win, there was plenty that I was encouraged by. As a unit, we contained Wolfsburg well, restricting them to just two shots at goal in the entire game, neither of which were on target. Meanwhile, we had ten shots at goal, six of which were on target, and the host's keeper was Man of the Match.

Our 21 year old Argentine defender, Luciano Vega was our standout player. On the right of the back three, he won 7 tackles, and 2 key headers, to earn him an 8 out of 10 rating.

Champions League Semi Final 2nd Leg

Leicester City 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2
    (Borussia Mönchengladbach win 4-0 on aggregate)
    (4132 customised) (352 Attacking)

Bosnjak 3 (San Roman)
    Carmona 77 (Tache)

Man of the Match: Alban Lafont

Attendance 32288

I started with nine of the eleven that beat Leicester in the first leg. Central defender Ljupco Stojanov got injured in that game, so I brought Alex Saputo back from the cold, and I selected Thierry Tache ahead of Houssem Aouar, as I felt that the young Frenchman would be a better option behind the front two.

We got the early away goal that I wanted, when Daniel Ericsson swung a ball out to the left for Unai San Roman. The Spaniard took the ball forward, then sent a cross into the box for Igor Bosnjak running from deep, to head us into a 3rd minute lead. Leicester now needed to score 4.

The rest of the game was fairly open and even. Alban Lafont made a string of good saves, to earn him the Man of the Match award.

We wrapped things up in the 77th minute, when Leonel Benítez laid the ball into the path of Tache, who sent the ball into the area, for substitute Carlos Carmona to volley us into a 2-0 lead.

We'll meet Barcelona in the final in Berlin, who beat Liverpool 3-1 at the Nou Camp, to win 4-3 on aggregate.

Bundesliga

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 Dortmund 0

(532)====================(442 Attacking)

Mukenga 45 (Mohr)
    Toril 74 (Dzaferi)

Man of the Match: Oliver Mohr

Attendance 74476

I made eleven changes for this game against mid table Dortmund, and went with the flat version of the 532 formation.

We were the better side throughout the game, and my wingbacks Pascal Dzaferi and Oliver Mohr provided the assists for midfielders Mukoko Mukenga - who was captain for the day - and Roberto Toril.

Bundesliga

Hertha Berlin 2 Borussia Mönchengladbach 2

(Sweeper)====(41212)

López 11
    Lathouwers 40 (Dzaferi)
    López 50
    Schoppenhauer 57 (Beck)

Man of the Match: Niels Lathouwers

Attendance 74649

Once again, I selected a team of fringe players, in a rarely used formation, against mid table Hertha Berlin.

This was an even game, with chances for both sides. The hosts took the lead early on, from a direct free kick outside the box, but we got an equaliser just before half time when Niels Lathouwers headed in a Pascal Dzaferi corner.

Hertha Berlin went back in front early in the second half, but Björn Schoppenhauer headed in a Christian Beck cross, following a corner, to give us a second equaliser, and complete the scoring.

Final Bundesliga Table

We finish the season with a home win and two away draws, using fringe players, and unfamiliar formations. I've been quite pleased with a few of the players, and they've given me the confidence to give them more game time next season.

Forthcoming Fixtures

My next update will be a Champions League Final report, the following update will be a DFB Pokal Final report, after that I'll do a season review, then I'll do a little feature on Viktoria Köln.

Champions League Final Preview

Since the Liverpool defeats in the second phase, we beat Betis 4-0, and Benfica 2-1, to qualify for the knockout stage. We then beat Düsseldorf 5-0 on aggregate in the quarter final, and Leicester City 4-0 on aggregate in the semi final. I feel like we're on good form in this competition, going into the final.

Our opponents Barcelona are one win away from landing a fourth consecutive La Liga title. In the Champions League, they won this competition in 2021, then three years in a row between 2027 and 2029. They were beaten by Genk in the 2031 final.

This season, they won their first phase group, and finished runners up to Leicester City in the second phase. They then had 4-3 aggregate wins over Ajax in the quarter final, and holders Liverpool in the semi final.

With regards to team news, central defender Ljupco Stojanov remains injured, and fellow central defender Kevin Mokoena is on international duty, along with midfielder Amadou Haidara. Both are playing in the African Nations Cup. Having Mokoena missing is a particular blow, as I feel that he's been our best defender this season.

This is the line-up for the final.

Wish me luck!
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 09:59 AM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

2 up in quick time v Leicester and a sweet red card

Kinda feel like you could have wion the tie there and then though but failed to capitalise

But no bother 0- job done in 2nd leg!

Understandble dropping a few points in league but good to see how fringe players perform

Have you won CL before? Or even got to final?

If not then biggest game of your career so far?!

Tough match - but you have the guys to do it

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Fantastic month!

Shame about the African Nations Cup taking two players off you.

Good luck!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Renitor For This Useful Post:

2 up in quick time v Leicester and a sweet red card

Kinda feel like you could have wion the tie there and then though but failed to capitalise

But no bother 0- job done in 2nd leg!

Understandble dropping a few points in league but good to see how fringe players perform

Have you won CL before? Or even got to final?

If not then biggest game of your career so far?!

Tough match - but you have the guys to do it
    Liverpool beat us in last season's final.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Champions League Final 2033 Update

We did it!

After Liverpool broke our hearts by beating us in last season's Champions League Final, we used that disappointment to reach the final again, and this time, the trophy is ours.

Match Report

Barcelona lined up in a 442 formation, with a double forward arrow on both wide midfielders. Like us, they deployed direct, attacking tactics, which made for a very open and entertaining first half.

The Catalans had a couple of chances early on, but we also went close in the 13th minute, when Igor Bosnjak hit the post from 20 yards out. A couple of minutes later, Brian Miranda laid the ball into the path of Bosnjak, who beat a man, moved forward, then hit a hard and low shot from distance, to give us a 1-0 lead.

Our opponents then piled on the pressure, but Alban Lafont made a couple of good saves. In the 31st minute, Miranda was tackled by a Barcelona defender, the loose ball fell to Daniel Ericsson, whose shot was parried into the path of Houssem Aouar, who doubled our lead against the run of play.

There were chances for both sides in the remainder of the first half, and we were very fortunate to have a 2-0 lead at half time.

Facundo Rossi was unlucky not to make it 3-0 from a corner, early in the second half, then in the 56th minute, Kike Mandia dribbled past three of our players to score a great goal, and pull one back for Barcelona. 2-1.

The Catalans had their tails up now, and were pushing for an equaliser. Wastefulness in front of goal, plus good goalkeeping from Lafont kept them at bay.

In the 70th minute, I brought on Miguel Moreno for Unai San Roman, and switched to the 343 formation. Initially this settled things down a bit, but the final minutes were dramatic. Lafont was forced into another good save in the 88th minute, they then hit the woodwork in the 89th minute, then Moreno had a glorious chance to put the game beyond Barcelona in the 90th minute, only to see his effort saved.

There were a few agonising minutes of stoppage time, but then the final whistle blew, and we became the champions of europe!!!

There's no doubt in my mind that Barcelona will feel that they were unlucky not to win this final, with the chances they had, but they were sloppy defensively, and wasteful in front of goal.

We didn't defend particularly well as a unit, but certain individuals performed well on the night. Alban Lafont dealt reliably with crosses into the box, and made important saves. No-one made more passes (41) or won more tackles (6) than Igor Bosnjak at the heart of midfield, who opened the scoring after hitting the post a couple of minutes earlier.

Who else could have been Man of the Match? Brian Miranda didn't manage to register a shot at goal, but saw plenty of the ball, provided the assist for Bosnjak's goal, and completed 4 successful dribbles.

DFB Pokal Final Preview

We have a chance to complete the treble against 4th placed Düsseldorf, who have won this trophy twice in their history. 1979, and 1980. This will be our sixth meeting this season. Honours were even in the Bundesliga, with us both winning our respective home games against each other. They beat us in the DFL-Supercup earlier in the season, but we beat them home and away in the Champions League Quarter Final.

The 18 man squad remains unchanged after our win over Barcelona.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 10:00 AM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Congrats

Amazing stuff to win it - what a team

Yeah - Barca will feel like they deserved at least ET but hey ho - the scoreboard doesn't lie!

First XI fully fit for the cup final? Auoar looks a bit goosed!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Congrats

Amazing stuff to win it - what a team

Yeah - Barca will feel like they deserved at least ET but hey ho - the scoreboard doesn't lie!

First XI fully fit for the cup final? Auoar looks a bit goosed!
    Yeah, they're all fit and available, so we're unchanged. Aouar is at 99% so that's fine.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

DFB Pokal Final 2033 Update

Treble!!!

We return to the Olympiastadion in Berlin, to record a narrow 1-0 win over Düsseldorf, to complete the treble.

Match Report

Düsseldorf started the game brightly, and had an early chance, but Callum Osborn received the ball from Houssem Aouar, beat an opponent, then used his vision and good passing ability to find the run of Brian Miranda, who fired us into a 10th minute lead.

We pushed our opponents hard for a second goal. Miranda hit the bar in the 25th minute, Unai San Roman hit the bar in the 42nd minute, and Aouar hit the bar in the 55th minute. The Düsseldorf keeper also made a string of good saves, that earned him the Man of the Match award.

After a while, the game evened out, and Düsseldorf started to look dangerous. I wondered if we were going to be punished for failing to score the second goal.

Thankfully, we defended well, and once again, I was pleased to hear the final whistle.

Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 10:01 AM.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Wahoooooooooooo

Looks like the bar wasn't your friend though

What a treble!

What a season!

Manager stats for "World" must be at the top now?!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Wahoooooooooooo

Looks like the bar wasn't your friend though

What a treble!

What a season!

Manager stats for "World" must be at the top now?!
    1st in Germany, 5th in the world.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Wow!

Treble winners!

Pretty much the perfect season Super Cup aside.

Bring on the club world cup!

Looks like you are one league win away from the Barcelona job?

Wow!

Treble winners!

Pretty much the perfect season Super Cup aside.

Bring on the club world cup!

Looks like you are one league win away from the Barcelona job?
    That's right. Hopefully we'll be able to achieve this next season. It would then be handy if Russia qualify for the 2034 World Cup, but get eliminated early on, and sack their manager. I would then need Barcelona's Russian manager Sergey Semak to leave Barcelona and take the Russia job.

It's highly unlikely that all those events will take place, and what is more likely is that I will need to wait until he retires.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast