Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Hennes Weisweiler: Part 2 - Borussia Mönchengladbach

Season 2032-33 Review

What a season. I honestly didn't think we had a treble in us at the start of it. We were rampant at the beginning, winning our opening 16 Bundesliga games, and having a 14 point lead over 2nd place Bayern at one stage.

There was no shame in losing at Bayern, and drawing at Stuttgart in January. February was a bit wobbly, suffering back to back defeats against Liverpool in the Champions League, and losing at home to Stuttgart, that saw our lead a the top of the Bundesliga get slashed to 6 points, due also to the magnificent form of Bayern.

At the end of February, there seemed to be a realistic possibility that Bayern could overtake us in the Bundesliga, and that we might not make the knockout stage of the Champions League. We had at least reached the DFB Pokal Final for the second year running, but it had taken a penalty shoot out against my former club Viktoria Köln in December to progress to the semi final.

We got back in our stride in March, with wins over Betis and Benfica to make it through to the last eight of the Champions League. With Brian Miranda showing great form, I was beginning to wonder if this could be our year in this competition after all. Domestically we went 8 points clear of Bayern, though with a run of tough fixtures in April, I wasn't counting any chickens.

We navigated our way through April well, which culminated in beating Bayern to clinch the title. Comfortable aggregate wins over Düsseldorf and Leicester in the Champions League meant that we made the final for the second year running. Beating Barcelona was always going to be tough, and beating Düsseldorf in the DFB Pokal was never going to be plain sailing either, but both trips to Berlin proved to be fruitful, and now I'm 1 more Bundesliga title away from achieving my objectives at Borussia Mönchengladbach.

I think that we've made good progress each year that I've been at the club. Although domestically, this is our lowest goal scoring total out of my three seasons, we've had our best season for winning games. We also had our best season in terms of conceding goals, and losing games.

All this was achieved with the second youngest squad in the Bundesliga, and we finished up with just the sixth highest wage bill.

We won the title after 31 games. Multiply that by 11 players, and you get 341 games started. 110 of those 341 games were started by the six players I inherited, that are still at the club. This means that around two thirds of the games were started by players that I signed, which shows how the club is evolving under my influence.

Key Players

This has been a real squad effort this season. It's had to be, because of young players getting exhausted. The following players have been very important to us this season - Facundo Rossi, Ljupco Stojanov, Igor Bosnjak, Callum Osborn, Stijn Lokando, and Bernhard Stankovic.

The three players that I've featured below are the ones that I feel have been indispensable to the club this season.

Alban Lafont

Alban has shown great consistency this season, and has been fantastic in the Champions League. He has the highest rating for a keeper that has played beyond the first group stage, and will hopefully be named European Goalkeeper of the Year.

Kevin Mokoena

Kevin has been one of the best defenders in the Bundesliga this season. He was unfortunate to not be available for the cup finals, but he certainly played his part in helping us get to them.

Brian Miranda

Brian has the highest average rating in the Bundesliga, and finished as 2nd top scorer in the Champions League. He's been a talisman in Europe for us this season, and is surely a contender for the Ballon D'Or.

And Finally

Thank you for your encouragement and support during this story. On a personal note, this treble is quite fulfilling, as I've always wanted to do a save where I only sign teenagers, then watch them develop.

Also, I've often read on the forums, that the only way to get success is by playing four at the back, a defensive midfielder, no wide players, and one or three strikers, using short or mixed passing. I'm glad that the pre loaded 352 formations, along with the direct approach has proved so successful, which shows that tactically setting up the right players in the right way is the key factor.

Hopefully we can sustain this success, to aid my chances of getting the Barcelona job when it becomes available.
    Last edited by Libertine; 25-11-20 at 10:02 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

Incredible season and what a job you have done

How's the relationship with the chairman?

Yes - all eyes peeled on Barca job now!

Helluva job you have done with tactics you have undertaken

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678