Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Keeping Fit

Usually I do Boxing twice a week and fitness twice a week, all pretty static because I have two bustes kneed and ankles, but my botched up back actually allowed me a run without killing me. Ran about a mile without crying, that was a first in a decade!!

Well done on the run mate, sorry to hear about the busted knees and ankles though!

Had them for ages. You get used to being in constant pain eventually.

Not on here much anymore tbh with working 2 hours away in Edinburgh and my sons are now 6 & 9, with their footy training and matches takes up lot of the week but I still play or edit 0001 every day at some point.

Anyway, I turn 30 this year (cough) so doing 3 marathons, technically an ultra race of 34 miles then 2 marathons, Stirling and Edinburgh in the space of 8 weeks starting April 7, then finishing end of May.

Not ran a marathon since 2016 when i swore I would never do one again. Yes I am mad.

Good old Cam, still got in his post about 0001

3 marathons in 8 weeks, holy f**k! I still haven't worked up the courage to have a go at one myself but will be taking part in the Potters Arf Marathon again this year, this time for a cancer charity after what we're going through with my brother atm.

Been running on occasion since the New Year to get back into a routine, started an 8 week 10k training programme last week which when it comes to an end, leaves me with 12 weeks until the half marathon so I've timed it to start a 12 week programme then.

Still playing football twice a week too, but desperate for the Sunday league season to come to an end so that it doesn't interfere with my running (but still playing indoors on a Wednesday evening) and also because we're s**t and I'm planning on giving it up for good then. Maybe next year, I can take on the full marathon without any football at weekends!

Last Sunday's 18 mile run (which was pure agony by the way!) marked the halfway point in my 16 week training plan for running the London Marathon on the 22nd April. With the bad weather this week, training will be much harder as I'll have to go the gym to run on the treadmill which I absolutely hate, thankfully my longest run this week is only 12 miles so about 2 hours on the treadmill.

I will be running the London Marathon on behalf of The Rae RaeTrust, who’s aim is to put smiles on the faces of children fighting cancer and their siblings/family through treats and wishes (more information about their work can be found at http://www.raeraetrust.org/).

Last May my friend Tom and his partner Racheal welcomed their daughter Tora into the world, but unfortunately at only 10 weeks old Tora was diagnosed with bilateral retinoblastoma. Retinoblastoma is a type of cancer which is very rare which effects only 1 in 20,000 children, which left Tora permanently blind in one eye and minimal vision in the other. Tora currently receives chemotherapy in Manchester Children's Hospital every six months, and will have monthly examinations of her eyes in Birmingham's Children's Hospital for the foreseeable future.

If anyone would like to sponsor me, then any donations no matter how small would be very much appreciated!

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/andrew-mccracken4

Just 5 days till I run the London Marathon, it's come round far too quickly!

After training in the snow, rain and wind the last three months it's no surprise that a heat wave is coming just in time for the marathon on Sunday, with temperatures predicted to be at least 20C come race time!

My justgiving page is still open if anyone would like to make a donation, the link to it is https://www.justgiving.com/fundraisi...rew-mccracken4

5 days

Best of luck, AMC That's an amazing amont of money already raised too!

Cheers mate, thankfully had a few big hitters in there thanks to a global email I sent in work, my place in the marathon was through work and they've done charity auctions and the like to raise funds for me and the other 27 people running it through the company.

Well the marathon has been done, and after going out in the heat too quick (temperatures reaching 23C) I blew up after about 8 miles, and walked most of it after 12 miles finishing in 5:27:22, an hour and ten minutes slower than what I managed Berlin in at the end of 2016.

Some of you may have seen that unfortunately someone died taking part in the marathon, while I myself saw at least a dozen people collapsed at the side of the road due to exhaustion, so once I couldn't get the time I desired I made sure I got round the course and got that big shiny medal!

My justgiving page is still open if anyone would like to donate, the link is https://www.justgiving.com/fundraisi...rew-mccracken4

Cheers.

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

Good effort mate.
    Respectable time in that heat.

Even though it sounds bizarre, I think OVER hydration may have played a part in some of the issues. Takes the salt levels down. Best course of action is just slowing down so you did the right thing.

Surprised there weren't more death to be honest. The guy who died was on Masterchef previously wasn't he?

Yeah he was, you're correct in what your saying mate, over hydration is a bigger risk apparently, not sure if it's what happened to the person who died this year, but in 2007 the last time it was uncomfortably hot someone died from that.

Jesus, I didn't know that someone had died during the marathon. Horrible news and situation to find yourself in as well

Typical that the sun really came out that day when it's usually so cloudy and wet!

Indeed, trained in the snow, rain and wind and then come race day it's roasting.

My predicted time after 5k was apparently 3:43, even in ideal conditions there wasn't a chance I'd keep that up past halfway so in the heat it's not surprising I slowed down rapidly.

Well done AMC you legend

We had watched the guy who died on Masterchef last year, so sad. He was a dedicated fast runner, sub 3 hour marathon runner (no mean feat) and had run another marathon 2 week before. It could be something to o with heat, going to hard and too fast in the eat, could be unknown heart issue he had.

I ran past the last runner to die back in 2016 who was being attended to but just looking straight up and he was upper fit also, unfortunately sudden death syndrome often happens to fit people around 30.

I hope to do London again next year with my sister an her husband to mark him turning 50

Sadly I am ever aware of my own mortality and if I died running, doing something I love so be it, I have had a great life but hopefully not yet want to watch my boys play for Scotland first

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    Holy Trinity Member

Legend, AMC

Sadly, people often die during marathons or other "extreme" events. The human body just doesn't like being pushed too far..... Hell, the Greek who ran from Marathon to Athens died after passing on his message
    Last edited by Craig Forrest; 26-04-18 at 06:26 PM.

Cheers guys

No posts in this thread in over 2 years, you unfit feckers

Cam still keeping fit btw

Ha ha well I was meant to do London again in April, that's now meant to be Oct, can't see it though with every other race being cancelled despite London not calling it off yet, next update is the 28th I think.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Ha ha well I was meant to do London again in April, that's now meant to be Oct, can't see it though with every other race being cancelled despite London not calling it off yet, next update is the 28th I think.
    You on Strava or Fitbit AMC?

Neither mate, runkeeper, when I can be bothered, with the uncertainty of it being on my training has proper slacked off so hoping it is off now

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Neither mate, runkeeper, when I can be bothered, with the uncertainty of it being on my training has proper slacked off so hoping it is off now
    I used Runkeeper for years after Fods recommended it. Try Strava, it will make you do more than you currently do, trust me, try it for a week, it's free obviously and you can find me on there also.

https://www.strava.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cam F View Post
    No posts in this thread in over 2 years, you unfit feckers

Cam still keeping fit btw
    Ive run 336 miles so far this year! Random goal was 500, but will piss that and probably just keep going. Gonna be the fittest player on the pitch when were eventually allowed to play footy again

25. The Following User Says Thank You to riise For This Useful Post:

Joined Strava at the start of April and have ran 248 miles and cycled 283 miles so far since then

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Cam F For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112