Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Poker

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

vCash
    saw that as well.
    Watching Modern Life is Goodish are you?

vCash
    Nope - was watching SSN

vCash
    Isildur1 is back

All won in 10 days

vCash
    Lads, any hope of poker nights again?

vCash
    I'm more than happy to get involved, its just trying to find a time and place

vCash
    888 Poker allows you to make your own Sit n go's or Cash games should people wish to play, but not have to spend an hour or two playing a tournament.

I can set one up if anyone else wishes to play. And if im correct in saying they may also offer $8 free to new players (Think you have to make small deposit first but could be wrong)

Or alternatively, use my referral link, Deposit and earn one status point on the site (You'll get a $20 bonus - released at $1 for every 3.5 points earned - Points earned via cash games, sit n go's or tournaments depending on how much the buyins are)

http://888.me/luis07suarez

vCash
    It's really simple to setup a sit n go, but sadly its only 10 players maximum at the moment.

vCash
    I think we could manage 10 once people are willing to wait a bit. I'd imagine 10 people would require about 2 hours to fill with different time zones and the likes.

Surely during CL games would be ideal, always the busiest evenings on here

vCash
    good shout - i'd usually be up for it

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    Hes a top bloke apparently, close mates to one of my mates Chris Sly, hes on the poker tour too, so he says!

vCash

vCash
    Elior Sion wins the 50k Players Championship (8-Game Mix). Other than the Main Event it's the tournament all the players want to win.

Amazingly he was down to 60k in chips with 14 left. For perspective the big bets at the time were 80k-160k and blinds 40k-80k. What's even more impressive by the end of the same blind level he was on 60k he ended up with 2.9m by the time the blinds went up again.

vCash
    Epic hand

reported incorrectly since K of hearts would have given AhAs a Royal Flush. The other 2 hands were dead to the only out in the deck

vCash
    That's some proper crazy shit right there!

Stories Mod

vCash
    That deal won't happen again for another 20 years.

Especially with those kind of hole cards in play as well.

vCash
    $2 WSOP Main Event Qualifier Neil Box is Having a BLAST

$2 qualifier at the WSOP Main Event: "Its totally unbelievable. Its my first time playing live poker."

To say the World Series of Poker makes dreams come true is easy, after all, most professionals consider it the best tournament structure of the year, there is a multi-million dollar top prize and the names of every winner in history have taken on an immortal luster akin to the card room equivalent of royalty. But imagine if the first live tournament you ever played was the $10,000 buy-in 2017 World Series of Poker Main Event and the third largest in poker history.

Now imagine it cost you just $2 to enter.

Im 45 and I come from Abertridwr just outside Caerphilly in Wales, said Neil Box, the lucky man to have won his $10,000 buy-in for less than the price of a loaf of bread back in his hometown.

I work for my local council. One or two of my co-workers are following my progress, but the bosses arent enjoying it quite so much! I said if Im still here in the second week, Ill have to buy another flight.

Box has made his way to Las Vegas on the back of the most astonishing rookie run surely of all-time. But his poker journey began, like for so many other players, by watching poker on television.

I saw poker on TV once, flicking through the channels, and caught a bit of Late Night Poker. One day I thought, Ill join up. I joined 888Poker and Ive been playing at least five or six years now. I try and play the $11 bounty tournament every time its on.

Not only did Box achieve the near impossible to get to Las Vegas and the card room at the Rio (he played in the gargantuan Pavilion Room), but this is the first time hes ever sat in a chair and taken on other players face-to-face.

Its totally unbelievable. Its my first time playing live poker. I played the BLAST event for $2 dollars. I played it twice a week for a month. You can win $2 or $10 normally, those sorts of prizes. Only 18 in every million spins produce this kind of prize. It came up on my table.

WSOP Main Event Qualifier Neil Box is Having a BLAST 101
    For the uninitiated, BLAST is a 4-handed, super-turbo Texas holdem sit & go. The $2 entry events wait until everyone has sat down at the table and the spin has revealed exactly what amount is up for grabs. In Boxs case, the prize was an amazing $12,500 package to travel and take part in the greatest poker tournament on Earth.

You try it and never think youre going to win. When the prize came up, I wasnt concentrating, because I was playing my normal $11 bounty tournament. Thats my maximum buy-in. I wasnt looking properly at the BLAST table, so having glanced at it, I just thought it was for $10. I never even considered that it would be the package to the World Series. I was doing well in my bounty tournament. I knocked a guy out and won $5 and I was more interested in that. Then I looked over at the other table and noticed it was for the $12,500 Main Event package. The $11 bounty tournament went out of the window.

No kidding. Suddenly, Box was three eliminations from the trip of a lifetime to the heart of the poker world. But he was short-stacked almost from the off.

"I went down to around 600 chips which was only eight big blinds. A player put me all-in and I thought Oh well, it only cost me $2 entry anyway. I called with {J-}{8-} and I hit a jack on the flop. I cant even remember what he had. I had some chips then and got back to roughly level in chips with everyone else. I knocked a player out, but I couldnt tell you the hand. Three-handed, around a dozen hands later I knocked another guy out. Its all a blur in my mind now. I had 6,000 chips and my opponent had around 2,000. Im thinking Oh my goodness.

Neil Box wasnt alone while he was playing. In fact, he was just a few hours from departing on vacation.

My other half was upstairs packing our bags for a trip to Cornwall and I was downstairs trying to win a trip to Las Vegas. I ran upstairs holding my laptop, I said Look at this, Jaclyn. She said Whats the matter? and I told her I might be going to Vegas if I knock this guy out. She just laughed and said not to be silly.

The heads-up battle for the $12,500 package took just two minutes. The entire $2 tournament took 11 minutes for Neil Box to take down the ticket. He can remember that fateful final hand.

Three hands later, I had pocket deuces and a deuce came on the flop. I remember him betting 300 chips and Jaclyn said Go all-in, go all-in!. I said that if I did, he might fold. I called and a jack came on the turn. He bet 300 again and he had just over 1,000 chips left. I just called again. I think a king came on the river. He bet another 300, leaving around 800 back and I put him all-in. I think he had the king, but a message popped up to congratulate me!

Suddenly, Neil Box had done it. The golden ticket to the dream was in his virtual hands. Somehow, he slept that night and whilst on vacation, he and his partner Jaclyn processed the news.

"ITS BRILLIANT WHAT 888POKER HAVE DONE. PEOPLE LIKE ME WOULD NEVER GET THE CHANCE TO PLAY THIS EVENT OTHERWISE.
    We went to Cornwall just after I won it around a fortnight ago. I took a screenshot of the congratulations message on my phone. At first I said I cant really afford to go. The spending money is such that we could go away for that. She told me Go out there and enjoy yourself the trip of a lifetime, youll never do it again.'"

On the following Monday, my phone went crazy with emails from 888Poker and they put $1,200 into my account for expenses too. Its brilliant what 888Poker have done. People like me would never get the chance to play this event otherwise.

A DREAM COME TRUE

Neil Box made his seat for Day 1c, and is having the absolute time of his life, grinning from ear to ear at just discussing the incredible journey hes been on.

The World Series is brilliant. I brought my cousin out here with me. He came out in September for his sons stag do and asked me to come with him. I told that Vegas didnt interest me and that Id only go out there for the World Series of Poker. Here I am, so I brought him with me.

Box, like any poker player, isnt happy with simply turning up. He came here with modest plans to tick off achievements throughout his Day 1c experience and see what happens thereafter.

To win the WSOP Main Event is a dream. My first aim was to win a hand here. Ive won a few now; I had a straight, Ive had a full house of aces over kings. My second aim was to avoid going out first, which Ive managed to do. The next target was to make it to Day 2 and if I can do that, Id die happy. I only ever play online up to my $11 buy-in on 888Poker. Theyve made my dreams come true.

Box did in fact make Day 2. Be sure to follow his progress here at PokerNews.com.

Stories Mod

vCash
    Once in a lifetime!

Imagine. You just can't.

vCash
    No idea if he's made it to day 3. There's no record of him busting out nor is there one of his chip counts.

vCash
    Dave "The Devilfish" Ulliott was inducted in to Poker Hall of Fame a legend from the early days of the hole can on Channel 4's Late Night Poker. Phil Ivey also inducted.

Great year for poker in Hull with Devilfish's induction and John Hesp's 4th place finish in the main event.

vCash
    Devilfish

vCash
    Fond days of us playing a few hands online together

vCash
    I wouldn't deposit someone else's money on a poker site these days

Curveball Champion!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    I wouldn't deposit someone else's money on a poker site these days
    Due to the rumours I've heard of sites doing anything they can to not pay out?

Used to play Full Tilt a bit back in the day, good way to waste a Sunday.

vCash
    I do miss a bit of poker. Maybe it's something we can look to organise on a monthly basis? Think maybe we aimed too high by planning weekly before?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast