Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do tactics get cracked?

vCash

Do tactics get cracked?

Everytime I start with a new team and use a good tactic from the tactics pack, I win a lot the 1st half of the season. But then I start losing everything/drawing. If I would hold 1st place at the end of the 1st half of the season, I would finish 4th-6th at the end of the season.
    If the tactic isn't working anymore, I try another one. I can win again, for a while.. But soon or late I start losing alot again with that tactic too.

How is this possible? Do the other teams crack the tactics and beat it?

And also this: does setting mentality to attacking if you play at home and defensive away make a difference?

Thanks

vCash
    No, they don't. Winter/early spring can be a problematic time, but not because of cracked tactics.

vCash
    Which tactics pack, if it is the ultimate tac pack then those are ancient tactics. You want one of Airwick's tac packs that are linked in with the OTL.

You won't go wrong with any of the top what 50 in the OTL, none of probably are in the ultimate tac pack

These will be found somewhere in the tac bit & the OTL is at the top.

vCash
    I have the Ultimate tac pac, yes.

But I dowloaded some others like DWS_V2, V3 and V5, Halogen, s-checkmate, etc..

They work really well in the beginning, but not for long. xD

Why is winter period a problematic time?

Oh yes, btw: I always choose medium teams, which don't have very good players. And when I buy players, I don't buy the expensive ones.

vCash
    Well, I'd say the game's trying to simulate some RL player fatigue/jadedness, playing conditions are worse, etc. I've always felt it's the time of year and not the tactic that can influence your team for the worse.

vCash
    I don't play 0102 at the moment but try 442CJF as that is a good consistant tac imo & doesn't have boring 1 up front or a holding midfielder.

vCash
    Ok, I will. Thanks Is it possible to win a lot with medium teams with that tactic?

vCash
    a good tactic can make you win realtively easily with a medium club, but what you have to mind, from my experience, is the right balance between the players form, condition and happiness.

whenever one of my teams enters an unfortunate phase, i shake things up by selling unhappy or problematic players and showing some discipline. Harmony is the real deal in the end

vCash
    what game you playing?, i'm really enjoying 0304 at minute with the 2d engine.

vCash
    I can use the same tactic for several seasons & in the end it always work.

obviously there will be "less good" phases with team form dipping. Put some young players in midfield or upfront (for a while) to shake things up. Also, the reason why winter/spring is more volatile is because bad weather conditions make team quality less relevant. In theory, a more direct approach would be beneficial... but like i said, I never change and in the end it pays off.

My view is that after 6 months & after 12 months playing the same tactic (the longer the better), players "jel" with tactic, instructions (system) and each other. It might be a disputable notion, but it works. (after a couple of years or more, if your team form, morale, quality etc is very high you can change to virtually anything and keep winning)

Other than that what really works is believing in your starting XI, try and play the same often with no changes... if changes are needed, few are far between is better... if possible, never touch your defensive line... You might not notice it, but I assure you if you do the opposite you will definitely notice it. In sum, it works!

PS: about mentality home & away... I've tried and tested countless times... my view is "defensive" is good for last 10 minutes (but with everything else adjusted)... if you play "defensive" from start in my view you already lost. "attacking" seems to be better in any cirscunstance (remember what i said about keeping things regular & fluid). having said that, if "attacking" is your main style, playing "normal" away to barcelona or man utd (or highly relevant difference in the same mold) often pays off.... this is my view from playing the game. Try a few things out and then, take your own conclusions

PPS: Do tactics get cracked? after 4/5 seasons it might seem the opponents are on to you, taking better tactical choices & making things more difficult... but by then, your team quality should be enough to bully them into submission. In any case, not changing is always the better option, unless it is a crap tactic that doesn't work

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pokahontas For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hawthorino View Post
    what game you playing?, i'm really enjoying 0304 at minute with the 2d engine.
    I would like to play 0304 but the editor on that was gubbed. Do you know if any1 made a Graeme Kelly type editor for that?

I would do some serious editing in 0304 if there was like my 0001. That would be class to play with a few beers. Was that the one where you could win 15 & 17 nil sometimes?

That was the last modern day FM/CM I actually played for months. Was a nice mix between 0102 & FM.

vCash
    Something completely different: A lot of teams have players which they can't afford, they have a wage of like 80-150k, while their income is way less than that. The teams don't have much of a big budget either.

So will a team won't go bankrupt then? What happens then? What should I do, I always sell expensive players..?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabulosity View Post
    Something completely different: A lot of teams have players which they can't afford, they have a wage of like 80-150k, while their income is way less than that. The teams don't have much of a big budget either.

So will a team won't go bankrupt then? What happens then? What should I do, I always sell expensive players..?
    You could sell expensive players.

What tends to happen is that you will get the occasional 'Cash Injection' from the board. It will be nearly impossible to have a transfer budget though.

vCash
    Fabulosity,

you can have a team with 15 to 20 staff on 80-150k. if you're on the premier league and winning CL regularly, your income is about 80 to 100 M per season.

If you're a small club (with small stadium, in a league that pays low prizes & TV) even if you're on the red, having the best players possible is always the best option (and the more of them the better), as you will sell them on to other clubs to keep your club afloat.

No players - worse chance of victories, worse chance of big prizes, worse chance of gate revenue, no chance of sales

Again on a big club, if you make your club a lot of profit, a huge chunk gets retained at the end of season distributed around the shareholders

vCash

How do you adjust when tactics get cracked?

In my 7th season at Bordeaux, won the last 5 French Championships basically using Urban Legend for most games, switching to WWW2 for the 'tough' ones. Suddenly in 2007 the AI gets like 70 percent possession and numerous chances that never happened before, the offside trap is broken time after time and I am conceding twice as many goals as before. This happens with teams at the bottom as well as the top of the league. This I take it, is a sign that the AI has had enough and the tactic is cracked?

I thought just changing to a new (user created) tactic would do the trick but the matches follow exactly the same pattern, no matter which tactic I load up. Now I am still top of the league this season after 20 games, but instead of being 10 points clear with a game in hand as usual, I am clinging on by goal difference. Also struggling to get out of a Champions League group that consists of Hearts, Club Brugge and Schalke (need to beat Brugge away in the last game to be certain) which I would normally cruise through.

To be honest it does make the game more interesting but it is frustrating not knowing how to combat the suddenly massively improved AI - any tips would be gratefully received.

vCash
    The AI does change which tactics are predominant over time. Typically, on an ODB type of game, there will be a lot of 442 in the early years, but then you will see phases of 4132, Sweeper, 532, def_counter and so on becoming the most commonly experienced. You can tell when it happens as the tactics teams use will differ from the manager's preferred formation. This can result in the need to change up tactics if the player's formation has an exploitable weakness vs that fielded by the AI. By way of example, I play non-wibwob, and for a long time I played 4213 at home. When the AI started to field 4132 I needed to change up, moved to a flat 442 and normal service was resumed.

I personally do not believe that tactics 'get cracked', but over long periods of game time it is possible to experience a prolonged episode of poor form. If tactics did get cracked then it would be basically mandatory to use wibwob in order to stay fresh, but it clearly isn't.

vCash

CPU cracks tactics

Hello.
    I'm using original game with 3.9.68, no other patches or updates.
    I've read somewhere here before that the AI will eventually cracking your tactics after a few seasons if you stick to the same tactic. Is this a known fact, and is there anything I can do about it? I use non wib/wob btw. Would I have to change tactics every other season or so to keep the AI on it's toes, or if I'm clever with wheeling & dealing the best players I can find, might that be enough with a single tactic?
    Cheers.

vCash
    Tactic cracking is a myth mate, you can use the same tactic for as long as you like.

I do remember the days I used to change tactics every 1-2 seasons though

vCash
    Thank you AMC.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur1950 For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    ive never felt the tactics were cracked....but good to change my tactic every few seasons to change things up a bit!

vCash
    I am personally experiencing that every season, I have to change tactics otherwise I loose or at least can not win against even mid to low class teams. Tactics are absolutely cracked next season. You have to change wib wob instructions to keep winning. You can never succeed with same tactic and same wib wob, 2 years in a row. not possible.

The logic works in a way that the goalkeepers of opponent teams play with 9-10 against you every game. It is so furstrating to see that terrible goalkeepers shining in your games every single week.

vCash
    Nope tactics do not get cracked. Im currently in my 14th season with Stuttgart having won 13 league titles in a row and 11 champions leagues, 12 German cups, 10 European super cups, 11 intercontinental cups and 8 world club championships. All using the same tactic i started the save with. I've had 5 invincible seasons where i didnt lose a single game.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to o0opaulo0o For This Useful Post:

vCash

Tournaments Won: 5

vCash
    I agree completely with o0opaulo0o. I've had several saves that went over 5+ seasons where my tactic still functioned as good as in the first season.

What I do experience is that after a year or so almost every AI team will switch from their default tactic to a tactic that gets the best results against mine. An example was on ODB where everyone plays 4-4-2 against you, but after a season and a half I started to notice more 4-5-1's (the one with 3 DMC) as I did not score as much against that one.

So it seems the AI 'learns' what tactic works best against you and they change over time to that tactic.

In this case all I had to do was switch the passing type from short to mixed to start getting better results against the 4-5-1 tactic. After a half season or so almost all the AI teams went back to their default 4-4-2 against me.
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Tactics don't get cracked, but the computer-controlled teams do change their approach to counter your tactics which can give the impression that the tactic is no longer useful. This is most obvious when you notice that every team is deploying the same tactic against you, even though they play a different tactic in every other match, but this takes quite some time to develop, usually between 5 and 10 seasons. What is less obvious is whether before this point they are also changing player instructions to counter your tactics, which would be pretty much impossible to see.

I think most people have experienced that feeling that a tactics works brilliantly one season and then the next is a struggle, which I think is caused by one of two things:

• You have a wibwobbed tactic which has an easily exploitable weakness, or...
    • The tactic is fine but you have poor form which will pass, either because the opposition are playing above average against you, or your own players are having a patch of poor form.

In the second case the form will revert to the mean if you just keep playing.

So far as I am aware, players who follow the non-wibwob approach never encounter so-called 'cracking'.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Dalglish's Smile For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast