Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Challenge 15 - Roman General

Thank you in advance.

Faceless is offline Official Challenge Team
    KotM 2018 Winner

Thank you for your patience

Sorry for the delay in giving you an answer to this mate, the moderators have decided you can add a second manager and then resign to make a position available for yourself to apply for.

This is impossible. The game does not allow me to take control any african team. Other: I don't get a message if another club makes an offer for a player who is on my shortlist. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by RTMFW View Post
    Merry Christmas all! My Christmas present to myself was finally finishing this one hell of a slog of a challenge! It didn't help that I had to start again due to not having any African jobs available!

In the spirit of the challenge I started as Italian, but put a 2nd nationality as French to help with that first move. That really paid off and after 2 trophy laden years in Rome I moved to Lyon which set the tone for the success to come. Out of my 20 league seasons I only once failed to win the league, and I don't see that as a blemish as taking over Levante in December I managed to finish runners up behind Real - it helped that Barca were a mid table team during my time in Spain.

The hardest I found getting jobs other than that was in Greece and Croatia, but once I had the jobs the leagues seemed really easy. Buying up young players they couldn't seem to cope with my 4-2-3-1 formation. In Germany I landed the Wolfsburg job, which was a gift to be fair, they were already in the Champions League, and Bayern weren't even in the Bundesliga any more! Then for the final task I had the luxury of managing an Everton side who had also been competing well (newly promoted Manchester United turned me down, but Champions League qualified Everton did not, who'd have thought it!) Though surprisingly the Premier league was perhaps the toughest. By far my lowest points to game - but still 3 championships!

All of that meant I was competing for the Champions League in 16 seasons. I'm assuming you get points for each of these seasons? My record here was similar to Jose, I never failed to make the knock out stages, and managed 7 titles with 6 different teams... my Lyon team winning in both years they competed, my poor Greek Panserraikos losing out twice to Barcelona in the final being the only team I didn't take all the way!

My luck with jobs also held for the African role, where I had the defending champions the Ivory Coast - I managed to even with the Confederations Cup with them in the lead up to the African Cup of Nations. Wish I could have held on for the World Cup but that wasn't part of the challenge...

Anyway, it's been a while, this may be the only challenge I've completed this year (I started another one at some point, not sure if I'll finish it before the new year though) but really enjoyed it in the main! Here is what I believe to be my final points tally:

Fuckin hell!! what tactics exactly are we using here?

Quote Originally Posted by bacsi77 View Post
    This is impossible. The game does not allow me to take control any african team. Other: I don't get a message if another club makes an offer for a player who is on my shortlist. Why?
    Using Tapani patch and have "hide non public bids" checked? If so, uncheck it

Also - for he Africa job it was recently asked and the Challenge mods said this.........

the moderators have decided you can add a second manager and then resign to make a position available for yourself to apply for.

You don't understand what I'm saying... Sorry for my english... I added a second manager, but I cannot take control any african team... I tried every African team but there is no "take control" subtitle.

You don't understand what I'm saying... Sorry for my english... I added a second manager, but I cannot take control any african team... I tried every African team but there is no "take control" subtitle.
    Ah - I see - hmmmmmmmm - will leave the Challenge mod's come back to you then

What does it show when you go on add manager and then click on the profile on any African player and then on their nationality?

Bizarre, nothing else we can suggest then except youíll have to skip that part of the challenge and not receive any points for that bit.

When I start a new game, i can manage a few african nation. But... For example, I can't control the Ivory Coast, even though I read in the comments that someone controlled them.

No one else has ever had an issue managing the likes of Nigeria, Ivory Coast or Cameroon as far as I know thatís why I donít know what else to suggest.

Cameroon and Nigeria is OK, but Ivery Coast is NOK.

But you canít take over either now youíve said that so all you can do is miss out that part of the challenge.

So being on lock down I thought I'd start one of the crazy long challenges and this may take a while. I've had to put a spreadsheet together to keep up with what's going on!

In my first season as Roma we flopped in the Champions League and went out of a tough group (Real, Spurs and Zenit) in the second stage but we made up for it with the all Italian squad in season 2 and took the trophy home. Next stop Lens...

Performance:

Spoiler!

Season 2 Squad:

Spoiler!
    Last edited by James_y; 27-04-20 at 11:24 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

After getting the Lens job in January I had half a season free to prepare for the following season... we then had 3 great seasons with 3 titles and a CL win, it could have been the perfect finish with another CL but we had to settle for runners up medals!

Performance:

Spoiler!

2005/06-07 Squads:

Spoiler!

Really enjoyed playing in Greece and was surprised how well I could do there, I didn't manage to clear my squad of unwanted nations players in time for the 2nd season so I had to spend 4 years there but it gave me the time to build an awesome squad and win the Champions League twice!

Performance:

Spoiler!

2009/10-11 Squads:

Spoiler!

Took a while to get a International job in Africa but won it first time with Ghana once I did...

It's amazing how many good Italians you can get cheap and as time goes on this challenge seems to be getting easier (trying not to jinx myself!)

Performance:

Spoiler!

2015/16-17 Squads:

Spoiler!

Decided to give one of the longer challenges a go, and this one looked a good candidate. Three seasons played so far, finally culminating in the Serie A title. Hopefully I've now found my feet tactically in the challenge and will be able to more successful more quickly with the subsequent clubs...

Season 1 - AS Roma
    Finished a reasonable 3rd whilst "Italianising" our squad, leaving me quietly confident as we went into season 2, as long as we could sign a striker to replace Boriello after his loan ended - we had plenty of funds for such a signing, so I thought it would be fine.
    Spoiler!

Season 2 - AS Roma
    I splashed a ridiculous £13m on Obafemi Martins, who really flattered to deceive. I also got an offer from Milan before the season for Doni, and whilst I was happy to get Ambrosini and Gattuso in part-exchange, with hindsight this left us chronically short in goal.
    With my narrow 4-2-3-1 failing to get us goals and some very inconsistent play in our own goal, we dropped all the way to 14th in the table! I switched things up tactically and we had a much better second half of the season, climbing back up to 5th, but the league challenge never materialised and at one point I thought my job was actually at risk. At least we semi-recovered, with the new 4-1-4-1 working much better in the run-in as we dragged ourselves back into the European places to placate the board.
    Spoiler!

Second nationalities:
    Spoiler!

Points: 0 (I assume I don't count this season as it isn't the one where I win the league with an all-Italian squad?)

Season 3 - AS Roma
    Martins wanted out after our poor league finish, and I was delighted when I was able to shift him to River in a deal that allowed me to pick up Juan Pablo Carrizo, who was absolutely superb in our goal. To replace Martins I signed Scocco from AEK Athens for £5.75m, who went on to score 30 goals in a fantastic first season in Serie A.
    I also brought in some new wingers needed after I'd switched to a non-wib-wob 4-1-4-1 the previous season, with Tranquillo Barnetta's arrival on a Bosman exciting Roma fans ahead of the season.
    We had a superb season, initially in a close race with Inter but we pulled clear in the new year after going out of the UEFA Cup when we put together a run of 8 consecutive wins all with clean sheets - one of the best runs I've seen from a non-wib-wob tactic as things really began to click for us. The eighth of those wins was over Inter and meant we'd need a major collapse to miss out on the title. We didn't bottle it, although we did lose the Coppa Italia Final on penalties to Inter to give them a measure of revenge.
    Spoiler!

Second nationalities:
    Spoiler!

Now to find myself a French club for the next part of the challenge!
    Last edited by NormandyWept; 06-08-20 at 04:19 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

Deschamps was drafted in as my replacement when I resigned at Roma, so I was briefly hopeful of just swapping jobs with him. However, Marseilles rejected me and then so did Montpellier, whose manager they had poached. Over the next few weeks I applied to every job going in Division 2, but after being rejected by Bastia and co it became clear I'd have to make my own Ligue 2 club. Luckily along came the vacancy at Chamois Niortais, already installed in the promotion places of the National division, and willing to take me on.

Season 4 - Niort
    The team was already in second, so I just had not to mess anything up whilst starting to make changes to the squad. I managed that well enough, failing to catch first-placed Cannes but also comfortably securing our own promotion to the Second Division.
    Spoiler!

Season 5 - Niort
    Next up was the Second Division. Gradually our squad was getting more Italian, but I wasn't averse to picking up non-Italians on one- and two-year deals if they could help us, including making loan deals where we could, although I had that old CM01/02 frustration where we loaned in Fabian Delph from Newcastle and then he signed permanently elsewhere a week later without even playing a game for us. Still, we had a good season in a very competitive division, overhauling last year's rival Cannes in the run-in and staying ahead of them on the final day to secure back-to-back promotions.
    Spoiler!

Season 6 - Niort
    Finally in the top division of French football, and if I remember how the Nationals challenge and therefore this one work, this is technically my "non-foreigner" season and the last with non-Italians in the squad. We won eleven of our first thirteen games, and although a blip followed, with our rivals having more on their plate in European football we were able to outlast the chasing pack and secure an unexpected first ever league title for the club.
    Spoiler!

Season 7 - Niort
    This was a much tougher second season in the big time, with the demands of Champions League football really testing a squad that I was still working to improve. Eventually we just about managed to get things done, levelling on points with Lyon on the last day of the season and just pipping them to the post on goal difference - a real photo finish.
    Spoiler!

Second nationalities/signing nationalities:
    Spoiler!

Season 8 - Niort
    Striker Alessandro Maiorano was the key addition to make sure we could truly compete on all fronts in the extra season in France. My scouts preferred a player at Inter who would have commanded a reasonable fee and was perhaps better-rounded, but I'd been annoyed by our proligacy in close games in the previous season so Maiorano's superb Off the Ball and Finishing stats had me thinking he would be perfect for finishing off our moves and I wasn't disappointed as he scored 28 goals in a fantastic campaign.
    A superb season saw us comfortably stroll to the league whilst also going undefeated in the Champions League until the second leg of the Semi-Final when we lost 2-0 away to Inter and an inspired goalkeeping performance without which I'd have fancied 2-2 and progress to the Final on away goals.
    The Niort board of directors have become a right pain in the arse - twice I defended players with homesickness issues and saw my job status plummet to "Very Insecure" until I won a few more games! Then we lost the league game before the Champions League Semi-Final first leg because I rested everyone and the board told me they were extremely disappointed - despite us remaining 11 points clear with games in hand. When the title was finally wrapped up, they said they expect it to be won again next year! I think they forget it's just been a few years since they were in the third division of French football and franky I'll be glad to see the back of them after all that nonsense.
    Spoiler!

Second nationalities:
    Spoiler!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

After leaving Niort I found that Bruno Silva had just moved to Hamburg after securing a Second Division title for Athinaikos, so I was able to take over a team that was already being promoted into the Greek National A Division and I had to just set about doing the major surgery necessary to their squad to have just Italian and French players in season 2...

Season 9 - Athinaikos
    A season of rebuilding the squad, but we still managed to finish 3rd in our first campaign in the top-flight which has to be considered a success.
    Spoiler!

Season 10 - Athinaikos
    Now with nationality restrictions, I found this much harder than the previous season. Regularly struggling to break teams down, we limped to a disappointing 5th-place finish. Like my season at Roma where I also finished 5th, I believe this is therefore not a counted season for challenge scoring...
    Spoiler!

Second nationalities/nationalities of signings:
    Spoiler!

Season 11 - Athinaikos
    I still couldn't find a good enough striker to really make the difference and we continued to draw too many games, but this time we just had slightly more quality overall and when PAOK suffered a late collapse, we were able to pip them to the title by a single point - very fortunate indeed.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Season 12 - Athinaikos
    And so it was on to the bonus season. Finally with money to spend after reaching the Champions League, I still struggled to find players willing to move to Greece who would actually improve our squad. Thankfully a lot of the players signed last season had really settled now, young forward Paul Faty was developing into an at least semi-consistent goal threat, and we strengthened the squad with a number of Bosman signings in the summer. This made the league campaign quite a formality even though we only scored 26 goals, riding our miserly defence.

An epic 3-0 home win over Barcelona on matchday 6 helped us out of our first CL group at the last minute and a relatively soft second group with Bielefeld, Lille and Man City was overcome more easily. We held Man Utd in the first leg and for most of the second leg of the Quarter Final, only for Rafa Benitez's (!) side to score twice late on to knock us out at the final non-challenge-point-scoring stage, which was a little bit of a shame.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Now, on to Africa!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

Next up, an African adventure, taking over Morocco after they failed to qualify for the World Cup.

The first attempt at the Cup of Nations saw us lose out narrowly 1-0 in both the Semi-Final and the Third Place Game in neighbouring Algeria, but after a full year undefeated in friendlies, I brought the team back to the next tournament in Nigeria and this time after an epic Final with Egypt we eventually prevailed on penalties to complete the international part of the challenge.

Spoiler!

Great work mate