Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Challenge 15 - Roman General

Next up, the shores of the Adriatic - or rather, actually quite far from the coast as it wasn't Split but rather the eastern Croatian city of Vinkovci that would be my new home, taking over Cibalia who seemed to have a surprisingly high bank balance for a team which hadn't been competing regularly in the Champions League. It would be up to me to make good use of it...

Season 13 - Cibalia
    At this point I was a bit worried about rebuilding this team as we staggered to a 5th-place finish - I think too many of our good players were foreigners and only being able to have four of them in a matchday squad was proving quite a challenge!
    Spoiler!

Season 14 - Cibalia
    But then came a breakthrough - we managed to get both some more good Croatians but also, crucially, French striker Adrien Pires, who had the pace, aerial ability and movement to devastate this division. An emphatic win away to last year's champions Naftas Hask secured a first league title for Cibalia as our goal tally improved markedly on last season whilst our defence remained the strongest in the country.
    Spoiler!

Second nationalities/nationalities of signings:
    Spoiler!

One youth player promoted during the season, who was released immediately:
    Spoiler!

Season 15 - Cibalia
    A one-year attempt at an unlikely Champions League win with a Croatian side. We performed superbly in the first Group Stage and staged a comeback in the second, reaching the Quarter Finals only to be eliminated on away goals by my old side Niort from France. A decent effort but one stage short of further points. At least we made it back-to-back league titles, albeit with a slightly reduced goal tally and goal difference as some of our top players were rested more often ready for European action.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

The game forced no fewer than 6 youth players on me this season! All were released right away:
    Spoiler!

Season 16 - Villarreal
    I was susprised I couldn't find a job at a top Spanish side, but luckily Villarreal were on hand to supply me with the opportunity to coach a fallen giant in the Second Division.
    Early in my reign we were in administration, but of course I needed to sell a lot of players anyway and we still managed to dominate the division whilst doing so and received a takeover when we were 11 points clear and through to the Copa del Rey Semi-Final - a pretty safe bet for the new owners!
    Promotion of course followed, and although we lost the Cup Final on penalties to European champions Valencia, simply reaching the last game was enough to ensure that we returned not just to La Liga but also to European football.
    Spoiler!

Season 17 - Villarreal
    This is my 'unrestricted' season with Villarreal. I was a bit disappointed to finish 7th, losing only 6 games but drawing a massive 20 - clearly we needed a bit more cutting edge if we were to push on.
    I almost added a first European trophy to my challenge cabinet, but unfortunately narrowly lost out to Real Madrid in the UEFA Cup Final. Never mind - that's not worth any points in this challenge anyway!
    Spoiler!

Season 18 - Villarreal
    Not enough improvement - we finished 3rd in our first season with the nationality restrictions, meaning this is another unscored campaign as I tried to build toward taking the championship.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Season 19 - Villarreal
    Things clicked in spectacular fashion as we won both the league and my first Champions League title of the challenge in a memorable fourth full season at the club.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Season 20 - Villarreal
    A down year compared to the last one - I lost a few players, especially brilliant pacey young Greek rotation option Thanasis Pantazis, and also suffered a lot of injury problems, weird seemingly bugged fitness for two key players who seemed unable to ever go above 80% condition, and discipline and big-game performance issues.
    Despite that, we still enjoyed a relatively successful season, just not scaling the heights of the previous campaign. A narrow 2-1 aggregate loss to Barcelona in the Quater-Final saw us just miss out on points in the Champions League, and it looked all over when they also beat us 4-0 in our penultimate league game, but things were so tight at the top of the table that a fine 1-0 win at the Bernabeu in the final game saw us reclaim our title at the death.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

Wow so I started this 5 months ago... anyway finally another update after my time in Spain

Performance:

Spoiler!

2019/20-21 Squads:

Spoiler!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to James_y For This Useful Post:

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415