Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1171

Thread: English Football League

  1. #1101
    Join Date
    03-03-12
    Posts
    21,140
    vCash
    8089
    He was exactly like the SNIDE Ander Herrera in that game - joke it took 89 mins to get a booking from number of fouls he did

    But a great game he had - was EVERYWHERE and closing down like a madman

    Aguero was superb as well - put in a helluva shift

  2. #1102
    Join Date
    31-10-11
    Posts
    26,257
    vCash
    108

  3. #1103
    Join Date
    10-03-17
    Posts
    353
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Nathan Jones!
    Meant to be a good young manager by all accounts. Think he was linked with the Villa job at some point. I remember his Luton team knocking us out of the league cup under Di Matteo.

  4. #1104
    Join Date
    31-10-11
    Posts
    26,257
    vCash
    108
    The more I learn about him, the more I like what I see.

    The Rowett appointment was meant to be going down the road of appointing a young, ambitious manager who'd learnt his trade in the Football League but it just simply didn't work out. His football was dour, his teams had nothing about them in the attacking third, his win rate was pathetic, his substitutions were baffling and most crucially, he never won the fans over. In fact, he kept rubbing them up the wrong way on a number of occasions and the writing was on the wall when he complained about Stoke fans singing Bojan's name (who has not been in the squad for at least 2 months, started only 3 times) and suggested that we sing Rory Delap's name as well because he was a good servant to the club in the past too. Bojan is still a good player and still on the books at the club so what a ridiculous statement to make.

    Anyhow, fortunately the board listened and I'm surprised at how quickly they have acted to bring Jones in. Sure, he's not experienced at this level but if he can transfer what he'd achieved a Luton, an impressive work rate, a team who press, a team who entertain and get results, we could find ourselves back on track after a poor few years.

    If he could just improve our home form and give us something to cheer about in chasing the playoffs, I think he'll win the fans round fairly quickly. This season is written off already imo, so we've done the right thing to take action now.

  5. #1105
    Join Date
    10-03-17
    Posts
    353
    vCash
    500
    To be fair I could have told you Rowett wasn't going to play exciting football, but being so far off the playoffs takes some doing with the players available.

    The uninspiring football, saying the wrong things and upsetting fans sounds familiar...

    I think you're in a similar situation to us where you want promotion but long term it might be for the best having another season rebuilding in the championship.

  6. #1106
    Join Date
    31-10-11
    Posts
    26,257
    vCash
    108
    I'd read about that prior to Rowett's appointment but I did at least thought there'd be some substance or end product to his tactics. After all, we'd been through the same thing with Pulis but at least he had his teams well drilled, fit and committed which is the very least we'd want.

    There was absolutely none of that at all. He's brought in 8 players of his own and they just don't know what they're doing out there. There's no cohesion, no clear idea of how they're supposed to play.

    I can see him getting a job in League One in the future and rebuilding his career but I'd be very surprised if it gets any further than the Championship unless he learns from it.

    I do like the fact we've gone British again and yes, it does seem like Villa and Stoke have gone down the path of appointing a younger, unproven manager who made a reputation playing good football in the lower leagues. Here's hoping it does pay off in the long term!

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:


  8. #1107
    Join Date
    03-03-12
    Posts
    21,140
    vCash
    8089
    Solid start for Nathan Jones then

    didn't realise he was Welsh! I should get him for my Swans story as was playing then

    1st goal (Shawcross OG) was comedy gold - awful



    Villa - WTF - Why is Neil Taylor and Glenn Whelan playing again?!


    Either manager gonna get funds in Jan window?

    Sounds like Swans had a poor pen given against them but should be beating Preston away - saying that an away point prob never to be sniffed at

  9. #1108
    Join Date
    10-03-17
    Posts
    353
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Solid start for Nathan Jones then

    didn't realise he was Welsh! I should get him for my Swans story as was playing then

    1st goal (Shawcross OG) was comedy gold - awful



    Villa - WTF - Why is Neil Taylor and Glenn Whelan playing again?!


    Either manager gonna get funds in Jan window?

    Sounds like Swans had a poor pen given against them but should be beating Preston away - saying that an away point prob never to be sniffed at
    Absolutely shocking performance from Villa. I don't get what's happened, things were looking bright a month ago. Think we can pretty much forget promotion, the squad needs a massive overhaul and we're going to lose Abraham next season, just hoping we can hang onto Grealish.

    Taylor is our only natural left back, we desperately need a new one, even Hutton is better there.
    Whelan is more of a squad player these days but again needs to be replaced.

    As for transfer funds we spent over £5M on a keeper who's conceded 6 in his first 2 games but not really at fault to be fair. We've signed a defender on loan and recalled a couple of players from loan. Think we're still in the market for a few more players and we need to be.
    Last edited by the villan; 13-01-19 at 01:36 AM.

  10. #1109
    Join Date
    03-03-12
    Posts
    21,140
    vCash
    8089
    Quote Originally Posted by the villan View Post
    Absolutely shocking performance from Villa. I don't get what's happened, things were looking bright a month ago. Think we can pretty much forget promotion, the squad needs a massive overhaul and we're going to lose Abraham next season, just hoping we can hang onto Grealish.

    Taylor is our only natural left back, we desperately need a new one, even Hutton is better there.
    Whelan is more of a squad player these days but again needs to be replaced.

    As for transfer funds we spent over £5M on a keeper who's conceded 6 in his first 2 games but not really at fault to be fair. We've signed a defender on loan and recalled a couple of players from loan. Think we're still in the market for a few more players and we need to be.


    Thoughts on Smith/Terry so far?

    Terry not really helping defence get tighter? (Maybe he still should be playing for you!)

    Have you got new owners now?

    Sounds grim and somewhat of a rebuild needed but IIRC correctly a lot has previously been spent and must be some big wages still there

    Grealish injured? He should be getting better ‘numbers’ for how much he/others think of him

    How’s Bolasie getting on - was immense at Palace but shite at Everton - not sure if that long injury fooked him over

    McGin inconsistent?

    Chester pretty solid CB isn’t he?

    I like that El-Mohadamy as well - he usually does ok.

  11. #1110
    Join Date
    03-03-12
    Posts
    3,342
    vCash
    795
    Dean Smith. Never really sorted that Brentford defence out. Were always very pretty on the eye, outplayed his opponents 9 times out of 10, only to concede silly goals and come away with nothing.

  12. #1111
    Join Date
    10-03-17
    Posts
    353
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Thoughts on Smith/Terry so far?

    Terry not really helping defence get tighter? (Maybe he still should be playing for you!)

    Have you got new owners now?

    Sounds grim and somewhat of a rebuild needed but IIRC correctly a lot has previously been spent and must be some big wages still there

    Grealish injured? He should be getting better ‘numbers’ for how much he/others think of him

    How’s Bolasie getting on - was immense at Palace but shite at Everton - not sure if that long injury fooked him over

    McGin inconsistent?

    Chester pretty solid CB isn’t he?

    I like that El-Mohadamy as well - he usually does ok.
    They started really well, but I guess that could be partly down to 'new manager bounce'.

    I don't know whether Terry coaches the defence specifically but you would have thought it would be his area. I wish he still played for us, we probably miss his winning mentality and leadership most.

    New owners took over when we were about to go bust in the summer, i'm confident they're the real deal with wealth and ambition.

    We've wasted so much money since being relegated, McCormack £12M, Hogan £9M, Tshibola £5M, none of them contributed anything really and that's without going into our wage bill!
    Some big earners like Richards, Jedinak and Whelan are out of contract at the end of the season, so it seems like the right time to rebuild if FFP doesn't stop us doing so.

    Grealish has been out the last month and it's no coincidence our form has plummeted, his willingness to carry the ball and creativeness is sorely missed. I dread to think what happens to us if we have to sell. We need to learn how to cope without him either way. His numbers were just starting to come good, 2 goals and 3 assists in his last 6 matches.

    Bolasie is so frustrating, so much ability but really inconsistent.

    McGinn has been one of our best buys in years, really endeared himself to the fans, he never stops running

    Chester overall has been decent, his form has dipped this season but think he has been playing through injury. Again probably no coincidence he looked better next to Terry last season.

    Elmohamady had a really good link up with Snodgrass but hasn't been as effective since, has been shocking lately gifting opponents goals and penalties. Hopefully Brucie takes him to Sheffield Wednesday

    Overall me and most Villa fans are going to give Smith time to sort it out, he at least deserves a couple of transfer windows and a preseason.

  13. #1112
    Join Date
    10-03-17
    Posts
    353
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Coys View Post
    Dean Smith. Never really sorted that Brentford defence out. Were always very pretty on the eye, outplayed his opponents 9 times out of 10, only to concede silly goals and come away with nothing.
    I think the hope is that with more resources at Villa he might be able to buy better players.
    I'm going to reserve judgement on whether he can organise a team until we get better full backs and a midfielder.
    We're not even outplaying teams at the moment, Wigan dominated

  14. #1113
    Join Date
    03-03-12
    Posts
    21,140
    vCash
    8089
    Is that MICAH Richards?!

    Dunno why ya just don't play Jedinak - always thought he was a solid DM (surely better than Whelan?!)

    Gonna spend much in Jan or loans you think?

    Word is Leeds after Dan James from Swans perm (FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU - fine young Welsh wing prospect) and Montero on loan (again FUUUUUUUUU - cracking impact sub)
    Last edited by Redknapp69; 13-01-19 at 10:33 PM.

  15. #1114
    Join Date
    10-03-17
    Posts
    353
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Is that MICAH Richards?!

    Dunno why ya just don't play Jedinak - always thought he was a solid DM (surely better than Whelan?!)

    Gonna spend much in Jan or loans you think?

    Word is Leeds after Dan James from Swans perm (FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU - fine young Welsh wing prospect) and Montero on loan (again FUUUUUUUUU - cracking impact sub)
    Yep Micah Richards, rumoured to be on £50K P/W and hasn't kicked a ball in over 2 years for us.

    Jedinak has been injured lately, not sure he's a good enough passer of the ball either to be an option for Smith but he would add some much needed physicality.

    Hard to say how much we'll spend, everyone thought we were screwed with financial fair play but the new owners don't seem too concerned

    I heard that James is meant to be a bit of a prospect. I remember when Montero was tearing it up in the Prem, never quite kicked on?

    Potter doing okay overall considering the club tried to sell everyone?

  16. #1115
    Join Date
    03-03-12
    Posts
    21,140
    vCash
    8089
    James is fast as fook and sticks ina shift and not afraid of a tackle but his final ball and "numbers"(assist/goals) will need to improve as he gets older

    Montero just injury prone - think he likes the warer weather as well. Also think he's more suited to being a sub. He's fecking lightening quick but again doesn't get as many numbers as he should

    Potter doing fine and playing the kids and has brought back the "Swansea Way" - fans are happy with him (still hate the board). If Swans are mid table that's fine. No "sensible" fan wants them to go up this year as owners will just feck things up again

    Don't see much being done in Jan from a Swans side (unless Outs ) but in the sumemr a lot of decisions to make when some of the high earners like Fer, Van Der Hoorn (but he's been great and Captain when fer doesn't play), Martin Olsson (out for season), Routledge, Bony (on HUNDRED GRAND A WEEK NOW!), Narsignh (hasn't played this season as if he plays 1 more game it triggers a big payment or something) all have contracts expiring (And Nathan Dyer will prob go)

    I think with all them off the wage books, Pooter may finally get some cash to spend. He's brought any decent quality up from the youth now and they are doing well, but not sure there is much more to bring up so he deserves to bring in some players

    Next season would think playoffs maybe a stretch target (but that largely depends what the feck happens off the field as well!)

  17. #1116
    Join Date
    10-03-17
    Posts
    353
    vCash
    500
    Just looked at all the Swansea players out of contract in the summer, that's going to be some rebuilding job unless a few of them get new deals.

    Definitely need to back the manager if they've got any ambition of getting back.

  18. #1117
    Join Date
    03-03-12
    Posts
    21,140
    vCash
    8089
    Not a sniff of any new deals - they are all on a wedge

    Owners more interested taking money than backing manager - Potter will just buy young and cheap and do what he can

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:


  20. #1118
    Join Date
    31-10-11
    Posts
    26,257
    vCash
    108
    Yep, great start for Jones! In a way, it's a good thing and it will give him the realisation of the task that lies ahead. The players are just overrated and just don't work hard enough and that's something he'll be aware of straight away and will hopefully now address.

    Shawcross own goal was indeed a joke. Unlucky but just sums up the way things have gone for us in the last three years

    Re: Whelan - I think he is still being underrated by people from the outside looking in. He isn't there to grab the headlines but will do the dirty work that nobody else wants to do. Put it this way, Stoke have never replaced him since he left.

  21. #1119
    Join Date
    10-03-17
    Posts
    353
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Yep, great start for Jones! In a way, it's a good thing and it will give him the realisation of the task that lies ahead. The players are just overrated and just don't work hard enough and that's something he'll be aware of straight away and will hopefully now address.

    Shawcross own goal was indeed a joke. Unlucky but just sums up the way things have gone for us in the last three years

    Re: Whelan - I think he is still being underrated by people from the outside looking in. He isn't there to grab the headlines but will do the dirty work that nobody else wants to do. Put it this way, Stoke have never replaced him since he left.
    Yeah it might not be a bad thing for the manager to see all the problems and which players can stand up and be counted, that's the hope i'm clinging to with Villa.

    I agree Whelan has been an underrated player, I thought he was good last season but he seems to be getting caught on the ball more lately. I'd still say he's our best DM option but he's not exactly a long term solution at 35 years old.

  22. #1120
    Join Date
    31-10-11
    Posts
    26,257
    vCash
    108
    I don't know about you for Villa but I've certainly written this season off. Got to see the rest of this season as a chance for the new manager to get his ideas across, then get a full pre-season and Summer transfer window behind them and see how it goes next season.

  23. #1121
    Join Date
    10-03-17
    Posts
    353
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't know about you for Villa but I've certainly written this season off. Got to see the rest of this season as a chance for the new manager to get his ideas across, then get a full pre-season and Summer transfer window behind them and see how it goes next season.
    It's a difficult one, while the playoffs are still in reach I will be willing Villa to get in to the top 6. At the same time I know getting promoted too soon could end up being more damaging.

    I just hope for the rest of the season we lay some foundations, use it almost like an extended pre season. Phase out players who have no future here and give a few younger players a chance. Hopefully we can get a few more signings in and bed them in too.

    The difficulty is every season 3 teams come down with money, admittedly they don't always do well.
    Then you've got FFP which hinders you. In what other business would you be able to stop owners investing?

  24. #1122
    Join Date
    31-10-11
    Posts
    26,257
    vCash
    108
    I agree with FFP though. But it has to be balanced out correctly and blatantly abused like some of the big teams have done recently.

  25. #1123
    Join Date
    10-03-17
    Posts
    353
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I agree with FFP though. But it has to be balanced out correctly and blatantly abused like some of the big teams have done recently.
    I'm not against there being something in place to level the playing field financially, but all FFP does in it's current format is protect the status quo.

  26. #1124
    Join Date
    10-03-17
    Posts
    353
    vCash
    500
    Thoughts on Karanka going and O'Neill coming in from our Forest fans?

  27. #1125
    Join Date
    03-03-12
    Posts
    21,140
    vCash
    8089
    Bit odd Karanka going when they ain't doing awful but been on cards for while so think he had enough

    O'Neill could be a disaster (Ireland footie was horrific but didn't really many good forwards) but could he garner the "good 'ol days" spirit?!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •