Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Personal managerial habits/rules

vCash
    New habit - as in I didn't realise I had being doing it - taking off players having a GOOD game to keep their average ratings up

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

GFRay is offline Member of the Month
    Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    New habit - as in I didn't realise I had being doing it - taking off players having a GOOD game to keep their average ratings up
    I always do this when leading by a big margin and the game is in the bag. Sub off the guys with a 10 or 9 to give them an applause sub.
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanchimont2002 View Post
    Iíll also do a friendly for each international break, a home friendly with only youth players
    I used to do this! Don't know why I stopped, might get back into the habit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GFRay View Post
    I always do this when leading by a big margin and the game is in the bag. Sub off the guys with a 10 or 9 to give them an applause sub.
    I think I've become a CM Capitalist as I do it even in tight games as higher average rating usually means more potential sales prospects

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riise View Post
    I used to do this! Don't know why I stopped, might get back into the habit.
    👍👍 I always Imagine it gives the fans a chance to see the next generation 😂

vCash
    I haven't read the whole thread but I am sure other people do this as well..around 22 minutes and at half time/ 67 minutes I check player condition to see if there are any potential knee or groin injuries - these are the ones that end up being out for months so I sub them off as soon as I see it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveV For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
    I check player condition to see if there are any potential knee or groin injuries
    How do you know if there could be injuries like these? The game only gives you a percentage, like this player is at 92%, another at 86% etc.

vCash
    If you go into the players profile you can see if they're carrying an injury during the game, it'll say "potential knee injury", "potential groin injury" etc

vCash
    If your a reserve player and you can't be arsed to train well, piss off.

Release on a free

vCash
    Hmm you all have OCD. I don't really have fixed things, except GK as sub1, always

I'm not likely to sign 30+ guys and determination lower than 15 guys. Unless when I'm at a lower league club or a club without finance, you'll take any good free signing even if they are 35+ with 4 determination

vCash
    In game every year at 26 august update some team reputations by savegame editor. E.g previous year a very small club became champion or qualified for Europen cups, i respect their success,i always want that they are being succesfull, but i want that big AI teams to sack its manager and hire new manager from this succefsul team.

Again i check some new regens of star players, i clear his unlogical like-dislike clubs. Eg. tevez,higuain messi regen like ''Erchim/mongolia-KR rejkavik, or AL hilal sudan -spartak pleven together.
    If top player's regen is free, i always add him to my shortlist. But i don't sign him, if a club like Karpaty Lviv or Petro Luanda wants to sign Chiellini's regen, i immediately offer him contract, when the time comes to join, i delay, after two weeks again i delay. I let clubs to sign him from his own region. In future better to buy Chiellini's regen from Siena,Salernitana,Padova, Bari, Bastia,Monaco etc....
    until the end of september almost all regens reborn again. At 27 sep. i check regens by cm scout.. by save game editor i do same cleaning likes/dislikes or editing age if needed.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to scemoka For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I try not to sign players over 21 years old. I'll make an exception if there's a glaring need that a young player cannot address in the proper way.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Magus978 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    At the start of each season I get physio reports on my entire squad and make a list of all that say "In his report, physio [name] has indicated that he believes [name] will rarely succumb to injury."
    If they are unlikely to break down in training that means you can push them harder, so all these players go into a training group called 'wrs', irrespective of their actual position (apart from goalkeepers, who need their own group).
    One of the players in the group gets a manager note, set to activate in a month, as a timer. Each time it activates I renew it and change the settings in the wrs group.

It's important to build up the fitness in preseason, so I always go with setting 1 first, then rotate.

1: Fitness intensive, other three medium.
    2: Tactics and shooting intensive, other two medium.
    3: Tactics and skills intensive, other two medium.
    4: Shooting and skills intensive, other two medium.
    Then back to 1.

Their match fitness figures drop about the same as everybody else in preseason but recover during the friendlies and after that they seem to cope well enough.

Recently I picked up a couple of goalkeepers who were wrs. I set up a 'wrs gk' group for them, always keeping goalkeeping as intensive and alternating between skills and tactics as the other intensive. There have been some match fitness issues in this group though, so perhaps I need to concentrate on their fitness preseason and drop goalkeeping back to medium for that first month. The main wrs group seems to work well enough though.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Effiong unmarked! For This Useful Post:

baw

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    I do it too, but only in the last part of the season and I usually do it with the players who could win prizes at the end of the year.

vCash
    I always hire new coaches when I end up a season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rxx View Post
    I always hire new coaches when I end up a season.
    Is it just for superstition, habit, or does it have a technical reason?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baw View Post
    I do it too, but only in the last part of the season and I usually do it with the players who could win prizes at the end of the year.
    Glory hunter
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

baw

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Glory hunter

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baw For This Useful Post:

vCash
    win every match

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by colml View Post
    Maybe he meant 3 psychics?
    Yeah, I'm sure Glen Hoddle had this same ritual every season!

vCash
    • I hardly ever use attacking mentality, and when I do, I usually end up regretting it. The formations I use are typically quite front-heavy, which is probably part of the explanation. For away matches I almost always start with a defensive mentality, and may well maintain it throughout the entire match, even when I win by 6-0.

• My preferred formation is 2-2-3-2-1 (centralized). The defensive roles are kept pretty "unambiguous", with cautious use of runs, long-shots, etc. I never use more than one SC. All players except the striker and playmaker are tasked with pressing. Counter-attack and men behind ball are hardly ever used. Offside trap is used when the opposing side plays direct style.

• When I set a player's role at the club I am always honest. No player gets "Indispensible"-status, but anywhere from five to eight players get "Important first team"-status. In other words, the core of my first team will consist of some players with rotation- or even prospect-status as well. These players comprise the starting XI in pretty much every single game until the title has been clinched, or qualification to the next round is in the bank (except, of course, when injuries and bans compel me to make changes). However, key-players who are one yellow card away from a ban are usually rested in matches against weaker teams if a big-game is approaching. Further, I typically rest many key-players in second leg cup matches after having won the first leg by five or so goals. After having clinched the league title or qualification from the CL group stage I give the most talented youngsters a chance to show off their skills. The first-team regulars typically appear less motivated in such cases, and the youngsters usually perform very well in these matches. However, I make exceptions for key players who have recently recovered from injury, or who are/where banned for the next/previous match. For derby matches I also make an exception, and always start with the best available XI even if I lead by a 30-point margin in the league. When I posess plenty of talented youngsters as many as 28 players may see some first-team football over the course of a season.

• My senior squad basically consists of 18 players most of the time, but youngsters and/or older backup-players are temporarily called up when the first-team players are banned or injured. Those who have squad rotation-status are almost guaranteed getting substituted on every two games - except for the backup goalkeeper - which means that I divide the remaining six subs into two fixed groups based on their position and traits. This method is sufficient to keep practically any player happy, regardless of his ability or reputation. Other clubs hardly ever bother to make approaches for them, even when their contracts are unprotected. The most talented youngsters rarely start complaining about their team role until the age of 23, but in many cases they become first-team regulars long before that.

• Players are never ever listed for loan. As already mentioned, any youngster is pretty much guaranteed a few first-team appearances each season, but paradoxically, those who are mostly kept in the reserves may well develop faster than those who become first-team regulars at a young age. (This I learn by monitoring their ability through a save game editor).

• A high portion of my players are pretty versatile, and master many positions. I look for two-footed players with high ratings in determination, consistency, natural fitness and stamina. Players with high dirtiness and injury proneness are rarely worth considering, IMO.

• I always keep a close eye on my players' fitness during matches, and substitute those with "potential injuries" when their fitness approaches 85%. However, if their fitness drops below that in the first half, it is usually best to let them stay on until half-time, as the break sees an immediate rise in their fitness that will yield a higher post-match condition. (Yes, this is obviously a pretty stupid bug...)

• Before deciding whether to discipline players or appeal the ref's decision after sending-offs, I always read the match report. After justified red cards I give an official warning to the player, while unfair ref decisions are appealed. For violent behaviour I give a two-week wage fine.

• I never use wingers or full-backs, and I always check the database to learn each player's best position. That said, I often find that players perform very well in a slightly unnatural position. For example, Desailly usually performs even better as DMC than DC, even though his corresponding position ratings are 16 vs 20, respectively. (Yes, I realize that DMC is an "overpowered" position in the game, which is likely to yield a considerably higher average match rating than DC. This is meant to be a normalized example, comparing Desailly's performance in each position to that of other players who are perfect fits for DMC and DC).

• I run a tight ship while trying to maintaining harmony at the club, and will not hesitate to get rid of troublesome squad-fillers who complain about being kept in the reserves, etc. Those with a negative attitude rarely stay long at the club.

• I always build up praise of my players, and usually defend them when they come under criticism - the latter rarely happens. When the media reports that one of my players worry about rumours of a replacement being signed I answer honestly if I'm planning to strengthen the squad. I rarely comment on transfer rumours, except for players who have requested a transfer, and/or I am eager to get rid of.

• I sometimes buy very young squad-fillers who are kept at the club until the age of 23-24, but aside from that I never buy unidentified regens. When I identify a regen I usually "polish" him, whether I intend to buy him or not. This means that I try to restore a regen's original skills and traits, and also adjusting for their age. For example, a player who is 38 when the game starts should probably be given higher pace and stamina attributes as a regen. Such polished regens tend to find their way to my fiercest rivals after a few seasons, which makes the game much more thrilling, IMO.

• I use a combination of direct, mixed and short passing style, depending on player roles, positions and traits.

• Intensive training-regimes are pretty much a given, but I also make sure that my players are close to 100% fit on matchdays. When key players are a bit tired I prefer to keep them in the starting XI. That way I can give them a substitution just before they get too tired to be fully fit for the next match.

• I rarely buy expensive players, but instead try to snap up famous players whose contracts are expiring / unprotected, or I look for regens. Scouts are completely useless IMO. I just keep one scout who's assigned to next opposition just for fun - hardly a useful tool.

• When players request a transfer I usually let them go. I rarely receive bids for my players, but I may well accept bids for players who I do not consider important. My rotation-players still tend to reject transfers to other clubs. Recently I was pretty numbstruck when Aaron Winter (regen), who was 25 and had backup-status at the time rejected a contract offer from Roma. They would certainly have offered a much higher wage and squad status...

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Edson For This Useful Post:

vCash

baw, you a magic player?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    baw, you a magic player?
    No AJ, the choice of the image was completely random, I chose it only for the writing.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to baw For This Useful Post:

AJ

vCash
    No AJ, the choice of the image was completely random, I chose it only for the writing.
    ah, shame.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

baw

vCash
    Great thread this one.

Few things I do.

* Always play friendlies

- Seen a lot that don't bother. I like to for two reasons. Fitness and Morale. To be fair the players lacking match fitness at the start of the season, appears to be a bit random, I will play the ones with that message in most games they have a high enough condition to do so. I also arrange friendlies against lower league teams I can smash 5+ High match ratings, goals, assists improve morale. It doesn't work perfectly, but it helps a little. I must admit to a little cheat. I never restart games because I have lost , no matter how frustrated I am. However for friendly games I will replay the game if a player gets a serious injury (3 months +) Doesn't happen often

* Never use a sub goalkeeper.

-Have never used patches as such, only the 3.6.98 so with only 5 subs, I have found that having an extra outfield player more than compensates the risk of not having a goalkeeper on the bench. I have actually had an outfield player go in goal and be man of the match. It did cost me dear once, I have never done a complete league season undefeated. Lost my first game of the season with 3 games left because of the keeper being sent off. Still stick by my decision though. If I had 7 subs I'd probably use a sub keeper.

*Set Transfer Status

I always set all players transfer status at the start of the season, based on what I think they will play. You can literally get away with murder here in most cases. I don't want someone who isn't going to play much set as an important player, it brings out the moaners. The odd time you will still upset the odd player, but if they aren't really in your main plans, it's no big deal, I just sell them.

* Core attributes

I like my team to have core attributes of Determination, Team Work, Work Rate, I'm not keen on slow players, so often Pace and Acceleration will be my second set of attributes. I like players that are good in the air, not essential for some positions, but it's a nice bonus. I will then try and look for the attributes that fit the position//role I want them to play. I like players that are good in the air, but it's not essential other than the central defenders, nice bonus. I never sign players with low determination, but I'm not opposed to strikers with low team work, in fact I like to have at least one.

* Captain

I have a set of criteria for my Captain, I'm not sure if all of it makes any difference in the game, but that isn't the point of this thread. I like them to be English (I only ever manage in England) Preferably a center back, defensive midfielder, the highest up the pitch I will use is a center mid. Never use an attacking mid or higher. High determination, High Team Work, and how long they have been at the club, all come in to play, as well as obviously high influence. Can't always match all of it, but those are the things I am looking at.

* Wage Structure

I always have some kind of self imposed wage structure. I have never paid a player more than £60k a week. It's very rare I go over 50k. I only have 2 maybe 3 max at that kind of level, at any given time at the club. I never manage big clubs, so this isn't too much of a problem, even when you start to have success, you can still get good players in for a decent wage. I'll pay a lot of money for a transfer if I am fairly sure they will be worth it, but they will be a star player, in with my hard working determined, selfless cheaper heroes.

*Squad Size

- I played many games in the past, when I just had too many players, you know how it is, a nice player comes up for sale, you know you don't need them, but those stats, that potential,just to good to turn down right? Nowadays I am disciplined and try and only sign players I need. I have a first team squad of around 20-22 players depending on how flexible the players are, if some can play multiple positions well, you can get away with less. It helps with the wage bill, it helps with keeping players happy and it means you don't have to rotate for the sake of it, to try and keep players happy. I then try and have enough young players to make the total squad over 35 players, or some players start complaining that you don't have enough depth. I don't think it makes much difference, but those unhappy icons annoy the hell out of me.

* Realistic Tactics

- I don't use tactics that couldn't realistically be used in real life. I have in the past, made some super tactics that have crushed the soul of the match engine and any team that turned up to play us. I don't do this any more. 4-4-2 is a fave of mine, or 4-2-3-1, I actually made one of these when the game first came out, and no teams were really using it. I do use the WIB Wob, but not to exploit in anyway, just to set players up in a way I think they will play. For example in a 4-4-2, my wide players will be in wide positions in the wide boxes at least, not moved narrow to try and exploit the match engine. I like 4-4-2 a lot, it takes some getting right, but it can be great if you get it right, with the right kind of players.

There are probably loads more that I do, without even thinking about it. I don't like using editors to find things out, not saying I haven't in the past. It's an old game and even though it's a little limited, I like to try and make it as realistic as possible. I like to win, but I don't find much fun in signing all the old favourites, downloading a super tactic and just clicking continue anymore.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Torskus77 For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112