Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1210

Thread: [STORY] It's Fergie time

Just to wrap the season up ....

East Stirling Mid-table mediocrity and in SFL2 that is pretty mediocre. It could have been worse. For a couple of weeks they looked like dropping to the lowest tier for the first time since I took over as manager 25 years ago. The recovered to be 6th, 10 points from promotion and 7 from relegation. It says it all when Edinburgh City knocked them out of the Scottish Cup.

St. Mirren A top half finish is about as good as it gets for the current St. Mirren team. That said, they ended on 56 points which tied them with Airdrie, Falkirk and St.Johnstone in 4th, 5th and 7th places. Dunfermline were just 2 points behind. St. Mirren were 8th, but finished on the same points as 5th placed St. Johnstone. Thier League Cup adventure hardly started, however they did make the 5th round of the Scottish Cup.

Aberdeen Successive relegations and the former European and World Champions will join East Stirling in the third tier. Despite being classified as a “Rich” club, they have not brought in a player, other than from their own academy, since I left. Can Jamie Calder avoid a 3rd consecutive relegation ?

Scotland Qualified for Euro playoffs with 3 games to play. The 100% qualification record means they need just 3 more points to make the finals and with a home game against Malta still to play, it should be in the bag.

Other Winners

Scottish Premier League Celtic (6 in a row)
    ScottishCup Celtic (beat Airdrie Utd)
    Scottish League Cup Celtic (beat Ross County)
    English FA Cup Everton (beat Cardiff)
    UEFA Cup Crystal Palace (beat Swansea in a 6-3 thriller !)

Biggest Transfers
    Graham Newman Man Utd to AC Milan £50m
    Dean Seward Man Utd to AC Milan £50m
    Angel Lezcaro Sevilla to Juventus £37.5m
    Gary Wilcox Man Utd to PSG £23m
    Adam McAuley Man Utd to Udinese £22.5m
    Agostino Di Martino Derby to AC Milan £21.5m
    Tony Buchanan Man Utd to Real Madrid £20m
    Patrick Zonneveld Charlton to Man City £20m
    Luis Simao Sao Paulo to Napoli £19.75m
    John Wood Man Utd to Valencia £19m
    Patrick Carey Man Utd to FC Bayern £18m
    Kevin Davidson Cheltenham to Man Utd £16.5m
    Nils Schwartz Leverkeusen to HSV £16.25m
    Emanuel N'Diefi Real Madrid to Wolves £16m
    Alan Jack Tottenham to Man Utd £15m
    Gary Noble Tottenham to Man Utd £15m

Totalling it up, Man Utd spent £88m and received £270m. Not a bad profit. Interesting that Italian clubs are now outspending Spain and Portugal.

The Man Utd squad stats

Code:
    ================================================================================================
     2034/5 Senior Club Stats
    ================================================================================================

No  Name                       Apps     Gls    Con    Pens     Asts   Yel    Red    MoM    Av R
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    14  Baillie, Michael           10 (3)   1      0      0        1      1      0      0      7.31   
    18  Bruce, Charlie             2        0      0      0        0      0      0      0      7.00   
    24  Davidson, Kevin            40 (2)   7      0      0        6      3      0      3      7.21   
    4   Donnelly, Dean             33 (6)   0      0      0        0      6      3      1      6.51   
    15  Duncan, Stephen            46 (3)   6      0      1 (1)    0      20     1      3      6.94   
    -   Findlay, Paul              0        0      0      0        0      0      0      0      ----   
    23  Findlay, Stewart           41 (3)   2      0      0        9      8      1      2      7.11   
    5   Gilmour, Mark              34 (8)   2      0      0        1      3      0      0      6.79   
    21  Gray, Mark                 44       0      16     0        0      0      1      1      7.25   
    33  Hughes, Chris              4        0      0      0        1      0      0      1      7.00   
    7   Jack, Alan                 41 (9)   12     0      0        8      1      0      3      7.16   
    -   Kane, John                 0        0      0      0        0      0      0      0      ----   
    6   Kelly, Sean                8 (6)    1      0      0        1      0      0      0      6.79   
    3   Lawrence, Robbie           18 (7)   1      0      0        2      1      0      3      7.48   
    17  Leacock, Chris             16 (5)   5      0      1 (1)    5      2      0      1      7.62   
    1   McAllister, Robert         21 (1)   0      13     0        0      0      0      0      7.14   
    34  Morrison, Gordon           40 (4)   0      0      0        0      11     0      1      7.11   
    11  Noble, Gary                19       15     0      0        2      2      0      2      7.89   
    29  O'Donnell, John            8 (7)    6      0      0        0      0      0      2      7.40   
    30  O'Reilly, Anthony          35 (6)   3      0      0        11     1      0      0      7.44   
    19  Paton, Robert              20 (25)  5      0      0        7      2      0      1      6.91   
    16  Payne, Kyle                10 (14)  4      0      0        4      1      0      2      7.33   
    20  Quinn, Alan                2        0      2      0        0      0      0      0      6.50   
    10  Quinn, David               44 (6)   6      0      0        14     1      0      2      7.12   
    2   Ramsay, Paul               38 (6)   3      0      0        2      0      0      1      7.18   
    8   Reid, Martin               39 (5)   19     0      2 (2)    9      2      0      7      7.84   
    9   Ross, Jordan               45 (1)   30     0      4 (4)    5      0      1      8      7.78   
    32  Stephens, Jim              15 (9)   1      0      0        4      5      0      2      7.42   
    27  Taylor, Craig              41 (2)   3      0      0        15     2      0      3      7.42   
    44  Walters, Gary              4 (5)    3      0      0        1      0      0      0      7.33   
    26  Ward, Michael              2        0      0      0        0      0      0      1      7.50
    For such a dominant defence, there were a few who didn't really perform. Mark Gilmour 6.79 and Steven Duncan 6.94 still managed to make the Scotland team despite performances. Robert Paton played better than his 6.91 would suggest and did grab some vital goals.

Considering we were so far down on goals, it was the strikers Ross (30 for the season) Reid (19) and Noble (15) who shone.

It's a funny old game.

Of the new boys only John O'Donnell did enough to get another contract. He is probably the 5th choice striker, but with a World Club Championships to win, every player will be important next year.

Pleased to see Craig Taylor and Kevin Davidson settle in and I need them to break into the Scotland squad next season, hopefully to oust Jamie Hamilton.

Of the Scotland squad, we have Gray, Leslie, Duncan, Smith and Ross as automatic picks. Duncan now has a settled central defensive partner in Sunderland's 19 year old George Bennett. (In a strange twist, he is a regen of East Stirling's Ricky Miller, but on steroids ! Miller was one of the first players I got rid of when I started this adventure).

The left back has been shared between Ross Hamilton and Stuart Findlay, with Paul Ramsey also in the mix.

The wingers rotates between Quinn, O'Reilly, Mike Hunter and Paul Bell. Hunter is now 33 so can't go on much longer, but with Influence of 16, I'm not sure he is a threat, despite his 58 caps. Alan Jack and Christopher Graham get occasional games.

Upfront it is the Ross and Logan show. Reid, Jack and Noble are the back ups, but that is pretty much locked out now.

The problem is central midfield where Jamie Hamilton has pretty much made himself an automatic choice. Craig Smith is the normal partner, but I need Craig Taylor or Kevin Davidson to put in some sort of challenge if I am ever going to get this armband.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

Damn!

You have been raking in the cash, two £50M MOVES!?!!

I do need to be a bit careful. I have about 1.7bn in the bank and I'm not sure when that wraps to debt. Bastard board won't expand Old Trafford and the veto transfers when I bid too much over the odds. I may have to let some players depart for free and spend as much as I am allowed, which is completely against my Scottish mentality.

Maybe I could give the SFA a bung to make one of my players captain for a friendly.

I've been told the limit is £2.3bn but I swear on my game I got as far as £2.63bn before it read zero (although you don't lose your money, well I didn't anyway).

Doesn't it just display as zero, but is actually still 2.63bn+1? When you spend the 1 it goes back to 2.63bn.

Yeah, like I said it reads as zero but you still have the money. Bennett looks a beast too!

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

So many Man Utd to xxxxx's in that list and yet you still stroll the league!

The old less goals is really coming to the fore now though.

2035/36 - Season 26

Like last year, this would all be about the Scotland Internationals and the decisions made by current boss (and former Stoke City manager) Alex O'Reilly would be out of my hands. All I could do was make available players to flood his squad with.

That said, I'd be very disappointed if United ended the season with nothing. Such was the dominance last year that the opposition have still got a lot of catching up to do. Arsenal, Liverpool and Charlton were the big spenders. Arsenal's £96m included Dean Seward returning from Milan. Liverpool spent £23.5m and added Gareth Geoghagen to their squad Charlton's £37m included the sale from us of Paul Turnbull. Crystal Palace, Derby and Hull also made additions to their squads.

For United, it was a relatively quiet summer. As mentioned, Paul Turnbull left for Charlton in a £8.75m deal and Robbie Lawrence headed to Genoa for £6.5m. Coming in we had Paul Findlay (Stuart's brother) from Grimsby for £1.3m. John Kane cost just £250k from Inverness while Alan Burns was a free agent although he has Southampton Newcastle, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest and Coventry on his CV.

There were also 2 more significant signings, both giving Alex O'Reilly selection headaches for midfield. Willie Ward already has a cap and has been a stand out for Cheltenham. He is a graduate from the Aberdeen Academy, the year after I left. £12.5m secured his services. The second new man was a capture from rivals Liverpool. I had tried to get Mike Wright (who only trains in the afternoon) last season but Liverpool were not for selling. When Tottenham submitted a bid, I trumped it with £15m of my own and I got my man.

It gave me a European squad of 25 Scottish players with 5 Englishmen to make up the numbers.

As usual, the season kicked off with the Charity Shield. We were without a suspended Jordan Ross, but that didn't appear to matter as Gilmour and Ward (from the bench) put us into a comfortable 2-0 lead. Gil pulled one back to set the nerves on edge, but a nail biting finish was saved by Steven Duncan's header from a Davidson freekick.

Next up, an Intercontinental Cup where Racing would be the opponents. Jordan Ross reminded everyone he was back with a first half hat-trick. Taylor got the 4th as we ran out easy 4-1 winners. We are now all time highest winners with 9 titles at Old Trafford.

Two league games followed against 2 teams expected to challenge. Liverpool at Anfield is quite some opening day fixture. Ross was denied a second hat-trick by the width of the post and a controversial offside. The 2 he did get took all the points back across the M62. Palace were much harder to breakdown and it was only a switch to 4-3-3 that allowed Davidson to grab an 80th minute winner.

In the final game before the international break, it was Palace again, this time in the European Super Cup. The goal came earlier, Paul Ramsey in the 8th minute, but the result was the same. 1-0 and we join Barcelona on 9 wins.

So to the internationals and the squad was announced for games against Ukraine and Malta. 14 United players were included, plus Craig Smith. Allan Leslie was suspended for the first game and not included. Jamie Hamilton had also been dropped which left Ross as the third most capped player behind Ross Hamilton and Steven Easton.

Who gets picked for rightback and can there be a place for Ross Hamilton in that defence ?

We are close! We are close I can feel it! We are close right?

Easy start to the season for Man Utd! Got to say, the quality of the players you are signing now don't look all that. Let's hope you can continue to dominate domestically the longer you stick to signing Scots!

Quote Originally Posted by merkezekrem View Post
    We are close! We are close I can feel it! We are close right?
    God I hope so

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Easy start to the season for Man Utd! Got to say, the quality of the players you are signing now don't look all that. Let's hope you can continue to dominate domestically the longer you stick to signing Scots!
    The quality of players across the board is not what it once was. It also looks as if the AI has stopped even trying to win. Every team turns up defensive and most games I out shoot the other side by 4 or 5 times. I so much want this to be over !

Much as I had expected. Sean Milne gets the right back with Ross Hamilton at leftback and being named captain. Actually I thought he might be in the middle with Findlay at left back. The surprise was Gilmour partnering Duncan and Bennett not even on the bench.

The goals were in the 30th and 34th minutes in a game Scotland dominated. They have now confirmed qualification fore France 2036, along with England and Northern Ireland. All 3 have 100% records in their groups. Wilcox and Dean are still the respective captains.

Wales have boycotted the entire tournament due to a conflict with UEFA.

So, onto a home game with Malta. Duncan's booking means that he is suspended while Gilmour has picked up an injury and is replaced by Genoa's Gary Beattie

As this is all about the defence and I have 2 of my men out, I have no great expectations of anyone other than Hamilton wearing the armband.

Oh, man. The wait goes on!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Oh, man. The wait goes on!
    and on and on and on and on !

Do you die in CM?

I will if I have to manage United for much longer.

AMC does ...... frequently !

This game is really testing your patience

But it has to happen sooner then never

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Sorry mate, I completely forgot to write up your reward instead of death for the penalty incident. The plan was that you would get presented the "unsung hero" award at BBC Sports Personality of the Year, There was an exceptionaly high vote from areas north of Hadrians Wall.

So many little side stories I think of then forget in my desire to get to the end.

If the end will ever actually arrive...

I had no great expectations for this one although I am dissapointed that only Stuart Findlay of the 4 defenders were from United. Jordan Ross moves onto 46 goals, just 6 behind Ranks and Ross is still only 26. He could smash the all time scoring record at this rate.

Note the Malta number 6. I first read his surname as Zannit

Back to the grindstone and we have 5 Premier League games and 3 in the Champions League before Scotland play Croatia. First though, I had a bid of £15m accepted for Newcastle winger John Armstrong. Stupidly I offered him a squad rotation contract which he turned down. I'll be back in for him in a couple of months time. He may not be a world beater, but there are some nice 20s in key places.

Grindstone is about right. We ground out results in the Premier League. A late winner from Martin Reid earned a 2-1 win at home to Cheltenham. Against Cardiff, we held onto Donnelly's opener, playing for an hour with 10 men after Stuart Findlay was sent off. Arsenal was more comfortable, but it was another late Reid strike to make it safe after Ross had scored earlier. 2-0 the final score. The focus then moved to Southampton where the 2-0 final score doesn't represent the trashing we gave them. Was this a turning point ? The Villa game would tell us. Again it was 2-0, but against 10 men, we really struggled and it needed a late Davidson strike to finally kill them off. So, a 100% start to the league campaign. That said, Spurs are keeping us honest.

Europe was much more simple. You don't get much easier than Inverness and Fenerbahce in the group. Inverness were weak and we dashed into a 3 goal lead. They pulled one back, but even after Alan Jack's dismissal, they never looked like doing further damage. Next up was a visit from Inter. It has to be said that they made it hard. They were probably the better side until, inexplicably, Frederick Lundgren headed into his own net. That opened the floodgates and we were 3-0 up by half time as Quinn and Ross got in the act. Fenerbahce offered nothing and got the 3-0 defeat they deserved. Qualification will be guaranteed with a victory in the return game with the Turks.

But of course, that is all fluff. The real focus was on the next Scotland squad and that was very interesting.

No Ross Hamilton ! He was recovering from an injury, and although he would be fully recovered for the match, O'Reilly decided not to risk him.
    His replacement in the squad was Steven Easton, who has captained Scotland in the past, but I couldn't work out where he would fit in. Surely Allan Leslie would be restored to right-back. Steven Duncan has been selected every game when not suspended. Bennett, Beattie and Milne are ahead of him in the pecking order. Milne is still a contender, but Jordan Ross now has more caps. One that worries me is Paul Hamilton, an uncapped striker and youngest of the Hamilton brothers. I will be more than pissed off if the armband is kept in the family this time.

Will O'Reilly spring a surprise and manufacture a start for Easton ? Have I got it wrong and Milne will captain again ?

This has to be Jordan Ross's best chance yet.

Could this be the moment?!

I'm going to miss this story.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMem View Post
    Could this be the moment?!

I'm going to miss this story.
    I'm not !

Two days before the match I got an urgent phone call from Alex O'Reilly.

AO Alex, I need a favour from you
    Me Me, go on, how can I help Alex ?
    AO Bit of a problem before the game. Any chance you could ask Mark Gilmour to get out here as soon as he can.
    Me No problem, you've got enough of my players already ! Probably won't get to you until late on Friday, so he won't have much time to train.
    AO That's OK, I just need him for cover really
    Me Why ? What's happened ? None of my boys involved I hope.
    AO No. Nothing for you to worry about. Steven Easton has picked up a knock in training.

I hope I got to the mute button before I danced with joy.

This is it boys ….. This is it !