Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: [STORY] It's Fergie time

vCash
    DOUBLE AMC!

Awesome, keep up the good work!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sign the lefty up!
    I just don't see where he would fit into any formation that I'm likely to play. He's certainly not going to displace Conroy, Remy, Lawless or Cusack from any left wing slot.

vCash
    November 2013

How long could this run last ? It is over 18 months since we last tasted defeat, when Peterhead beat us on the 13th of April 2011. I wasn't confident that the defeat wouldn't happen next game

BATE 0 East Stirling 1
    UEFA Cup round 2

McLean, Cave-Brown, Conroy, Kanyuka, McAusland, Murphy, Pawlett, Howard, Reynolds (Sheringham), Stewart, Remy (Cusack)

Whoa ! Where did that come from ? It is years since I have managed to beat BATE, and with much better teams than this. The away goal gave the home side a huge advantage in my book and I emphasised to the team the importance of not giving them an early advantage. If they scored it would be tough to get back in the game. We weathered the early storm and had started to build some play of our own, when Kontsevoy struck with a header from a free kick. We were saved by the offside flag. McLean took it quickly, found Remy who centered for Reynolds. The young striker gained control, turned his marker and smashed it home off the underside of the bar. Away goal cancelled out. That knocked the wind out of the Belarusian side and they never recovered. In truth it was a turgid game of few chances and fewer still on target. Who cares, we were in the UEFA hat with the likes of Liverpool, Roma, Athletico Madrid and Inter Millan. Who would we get ? There are no easy games at this level (although I would smile if we got Hearts or Dnipro). Typical of this seasons draw, we were heading back to Eastern Europe and the Russian capital. Spartak in November is no fun trip.

Cowdenbeith 1 East Stirling 3
    Scottish Football League 1

McLean, McAusland, Conroy, Kanyuka, Harding, Paton, Cusack, McCord, Sheringham (Sludden), Stewart, Lawless

After an early scare when the home side took a 2nd minute lead, it took a while to knock the European hang-over on the head. Pates levelled just before the half hour and minutes later we were in front through Stewart. Sludden finished them off in injury time. St.Mirren lost to bottom side Raith, knocking them down to 7th. Danny Lennon received the dreaded vote of confidence from the St. Mirren board

East Stirling 4 Dunfermline 2

Grant (Dick), McAusland (Easton), Booth, Kanyuka, Harding, Paton, Cusack, McCord, Sheringham (Sludden), Stewart, Lawless

The problem with not listing a keeper on the bench is when you get an injury in the 12th minute. Cusack had put us ahead, but 78 minutes is a long time to defend that lead with a midfielder in goal. The defence and midfield worked tirelessly to protect him. McCord made it 2-0 with a powerful run to ease the presure. Stanton pulled one back second half only for Sheringham to restore the 2 goal advantage with 15 minutes to play. Barrowman made it 3-2 and a nervy closing section, but tensions were eased when Harding headed home his first ever East Stirling goal following a corner in the closing minutes. That was our game in hand

East Fife 0 East Stirling 3

Vaughan, McAusland, Conroy, Kanyuka, Harding, Paton (Dick), Cusack, McCord, Sludden, Stewart, Lawless

Two for McCord. One for Stewart. Need I say more, other than 17 year old John Vaughan was awarded a 9 for his debut performance. St. Mirren beat Livvy so Danny Lennon survives another week.

After the game, we finally managed to put an end to the protracted transfer of Euan McLean to Raith Rovers. They got in a bidding war with Ross County, and we finally got the £50k we were asking for in the first place. The next day, his replacement arrived. 32 year old Rhys Evans completed a £16k move from Doncaster. Despite not playing for a couple of seasons, he looks like a decent squad addition but is probably 3rd behind Grant and Vaughan.

Spartak Moscow 0 East Stirling 0
    UEFA Cup round 3

Vaughan, McAusland (Parkes), Easton, Kanyuka, Harding, Booth, Cusack (Conroy), McCord, Sludden, Stewart, Remy (Reynolds)

A 0-0 draw in the freezing Moscow sleet doesn't sound like a game for the purist. Had it been a backs to the wall, do or die, defensive performance then it might have been a heart warming story. Sadly, this was a turgid affair that resulted in the death of several Aged Moscovian Citizens from hypothermia. There was no last gasp defending. No magnificent saves, just a procession of woeful shooting which tested neither keeper. The home side had 3 efforts all game and only Eminike's second half effort made it through to Vaughan. (The same player did hit the bar in the first half). We were worse, finding the target just once in 6 attempts, McCord collecting a rebound from the wall after a free kick and firing straight at the keeper. Very much a game to forget, particularly for Ryan Harding who was forced to limp off with an ankle ligament problem, leaving us to play out the final 2 minutes with 10 men.

In a busy month, it was 2 in and 2 out before the next match. Leaving Shire with our best wishes were Jordan Parkes and Paul Munster. Parkes had been our other contract rebel and when Aberdeen offered £50k, I almost bit their hand off. Instead, I negotiated a player exchange and the return of a familiar face. Herman being transfer listed had raised plenty of interest, but few bids. When an offer came in from Australia, I negotiated a sell on clause before accepting. He left for a new life down-under with Spirit FC of Sydney.

The player exchange brought back David Barron, a player who I would never have let go had it not been for the release clause. He had been a regular in his first season at Pitodrie but had been frozen out recently and was glad to move back for the chance of first team action. He is a like for like replacement for Easton, probably the better player ! The other new boy is 19 year old central defender Colin Kelly. Despite his tender years, he has played 67 times for Bray Wanderers and by picking up 21 MoM awards, must have something about him. He'll start in the reserves, but I'll expect him to get a start before the end of the season.

East Stirling 4 Raith Rovers 0

Vaughan, McAusland (Barron), Conroy, Armstrong, Kanyuka, Booth, Pawlett, Howard (Dick), Sheringham, Lawless, Remy

No European hangover here. It was 3-0 in 20 minutes. Howard converted Pawlett's cross to start the ball rolling. Pawlett blasted in number 2 from the edge of the box and Sheringham celebrated his return to the side with a trademark header. It was Sheringham who finished things off by collecting Remy's through ball and hitting a fierce shot which gave the keeper no chance. St. Mirren lost 4-2 at Dunfermline.

Livingston 1 East Stirling 4

Vaughan, McAusland (Barron), Conroy, Armstrong, Kanyuka, Booth, Pawlett (Reynolds), Howard (Hogg), Sheringham, Lawless, Remy

Mark McNulty must have scored every time we have played Livvy. This time it took him just 2 minutes to get his ubiquitous goal. It was about the last thing that Livvy did as, after taking 20 minutes to find our rhythm we then ran riot. Remy, Pawlett, Sheringham and Armstrong all found the net and there could have been many more. Their keeper was their best player ! Good confidence boost for the visit of Spartak. St. Mirren lost 2-1 at home to Queen of the South. Danny Lennon can't survive much longer and the press consider his status to be Very Insecure.

There was still one game left for us in the month, the visit from Spartak, but we go into the game now 18 points clear of Peterhead who them selves are 1 clear of Dumbarton. The midtable is still packed, with just 8 points between 2nd and 8th placed Queen of the South. St Mirren are currently 6th.

vCash
    Well done on beating BATE! Very tough draw and you did well to pick up a point away, shame there was no away goal though but given the run you are on, hopefully you can get the result at home

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Well done on beating BATE! Very tough draw and you did well to pick up a point away, shame there was no away goal though but given the run you are on, hopefully you can get the result at home
    I think we've missed our chance. We needed the away goal as I can't see them being as poor again. If they now get a goal it will be a mountain to climb.

vCash
    Just discovered this ..... Great minds think alike

And I thought it might be a long haul on CM !!!!!

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

vCash
    You'll do them at home. 2 clear goals my prediction.

vCash
    Well done on the win over BATE, and I'd have been happy with a goalless draw away at Spartak. I reckon a comeback 2-1 win in the home leg

vCash
    This story is great, I should comment on it more!

vCash
    Come on Danny Lemon, c*ck it up!!

Unbelievable unbeaten run, will it continue until you leave the club?!

vCash
    Agree with a couple of other posters here, reckon you'll concede but still win. I'll go for 3-1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Well done on the win over BATE, and I'd have been happy with a goalless draw away at Spartak. I reckon a comeback 2-1 win in the home leg
    Quote Originally Posted by kuy View Post
    Agree with a couple of other posters here, reckon you'll concede but still win. I'll go for 3-1
    You guys have more confidence than me. Spartak have a VERY good side. On paper they should destroy us.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovesanmarino View Post
    This story is great, I should comment on it more!
    Just keep reading. There may be a short cameo role for you coming up soon !

Quote Originally Posted by BobMem View Post
    Come on Danny Lemon, c*ck it up!!

Unbelievable unbeaten run, will it continue until you leave the club?!
    At the start of this season, when I went to the non wib/wob, I was really wanting to lose a few games and get tied up in a mid-table battle for a few seasons, until the Saint's job came up. Now that is getting close, I really don't want it to end. This may be my record run ever, just wondering if Danny can hang around long enough to make it to 100 games

vCash
    Out …. and In

On the eve of the Spartak game the first 2 of the 4 League Cup Quarter finals were scheduled. First up saw Peterhead beat Livingston at Balmoor, no great shock there, although a Scullion freekick to equalise in the last second of normal time, followed by a Kelly winner 2 minutes from the end of extra time did make it dramatic. The other match saw St.Mirren visit 3rd division outfit Brechin City. It should have been no contest, but nobody told Brechin that. Carcary headed in a 17th minute opener for the home side and despite intese pressure from Saints, that was how it stayed until 27 minutes from time. Brechin won a freekick. Carcary floated a cross onto the head of former St. Mirren striker David McKenna who made appropriate gestures to the Saint's bench as he celebrated his goal. Worse was to follow. Captain Grant Monroe nutted Andy Jackson and walked to the changing room before waiting for the red card. Carcary rubbed salt in the wound by making it 3-0 in stoppage time.

Chairman Stewart Gilmore had a taxi waiting for Danny Lennon outside the ground and he didn't survive long enough to make it onto the team coach home. Gilmore had my application on his desk before the coach arrived back in Paisley !

Maybe the players had picked up the vibe that my thoughts were elsewhere. I had given them a rousing team talk, but is was still a lackluster start from the 11 in East Stirling shirts. Give a team like Spartak a sniff of a chance and you are going to get punished. Conroy upended McGeady. Christaldo took the freekick. Pareja headed past Vaughan. They had the away goal and we had 77 minutes to put 2 past German international keeper Tim Wieise. Fair play, we had a good go at it, but by half time had still not managed to break them down, despite coming close on a couple of occasions. We new what we had to do. No point on dwelling on what might have been and we had to start taking the chances that we were making. I was going to give it 15 minutes before changing to a 4-3-3 and going all out. Just 9 of them were needed before we drew level. Kanyuka blocked Kallstrom's driven shot and Pawlett scrambled the clearance as far as Conroy. He charged down the wing with Stewart in support, hit the bye-line and delivered a cross to the near post which was met by Stewart's diving, glancing header. The crowd of 1,046 went mental. Could the dream go on ?

Pawlett hit a speculative effort over the bar before I made the expected changes. Reynolds and Cusack on for Murphy and Pawlett. It would be 4-3-3, do or die, to the whistle. The plan failed miserably and Wiese didn't have another save to make ! Spartak had their chances and kept Vaughan busy, but 1-1 was how it ended and we were dumped out, but still unbeaten. That's the run upto 88 now. Dumbarton couldn't end the run, and nor could Aberdeen in the League Cup quarter final, Reynolds and Lawless finding the net in a 2-0 win. The Lawless goal was to be the last one of my reign. The very next morning I received a call from Stewart Gilmore.

I wasted no time. Didn't even say good bye to the players. I dumpped the Fiat 500 and headed off to Paisley in my new wheels.

My destination was Paisley, to sign on the dotted line.

If this was a story, you just wouldn't believe it. My first match in charge will be to try to break East Stirling's unbeaten run !!!

vCash
    Shame you couldn't beat Spartak to leave on a high but at least the domestic run is intact before you left.

But thank God for the job coming up and glad you got it! You really couldn't make it up, what are the chances your team will look completely buggered by the assistant manager and you end up breaking your own run?

vCash
    Bad luck against Spartak there. Shame you couldn't hang around at East Stirling to see how long you could make the unbeaten run, but onwards and upwards! I reckon you'll beat them with St Mirren The league's very congested so you might get St Mirren promoted this year - how many matches are left?

Stories Mod

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Would have if you weren't side tracked.
    You genuinely couldn't right that script on your first game. Will be interesting to see what formation/team they put out against you.

vCash
    and there it is! Kept the unbeaten run as I predicted too!

Ferguson admits credit must go to BobMem after 88 match unbeaten run

"BobMem's contribution of reading and sitting on his @rse can't be underestimated"

vCash
    Huzzah!

I know how infuriating it is waiting round for jobs (fucking Roy Keane and Ipswich! ) so pleased to see you finally get the Buddies job.

Awesome stuff with East Stirlingshire too, great to see that unbeaten run continue before you left, so close for my prediction for the Spartak return as well.

Time to get them kids in!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    (fucking Roy Keane and Ipswich! )
    Also applies in real life. Glad to see the back of him!

vCash
    I'm sure you can do it!

if not Super Zan is there to help you

vCash
    It's like deja vu all over again

The XX was booming out of the Alfa's infotainment system, while the soothing voice of Miss Satnav guided me to my destination

I get swept away
    When I think of you
    Take me to that place
    Where it's control I lose

at the roundabout take the third exit

I'm soothed by you, you take it all away

turn left

I lose to you, surrendered at the start of the game

turn right

And there it was in front of me …... My new Theater of Dreams !

I have to admit to once again being a wee bit disappointed. It certainly didn't look the sort of place where SPL football had been hosted just 8 months ago. The street sign had said Love Street and the black turnstiles, although locked up, told me I was at a football ground and I knew that there was only one club in Paisley and that they played in black and white stripes, so this had to be the right place.

Closer up, it was worse than first impression. Forget SPL football 8 months ago, there had been no football played here for some time.

Jesus Christ ! How could the groundsman have let the pitch get into that state ? Something didn't add up here. That pitch had not been played on this season, yet this was definitely a football stadium on Love Street, Paisley. I took my eyes away from the disappointing desolate landscape on the inside and checked out the disappointing desolate landscape on the outside. Hidden in a corner, minding his own business was an old tramp, even at 8am he was swigging at a bottle of Buckfast, a refreshing tonic wine popular in this area ! I'm sure I'd seen him somewhere before, but the best way to describe him was as A Manky C**t.

Me: Hey Jim ! Is this tha Saint Mirren home ?
    AMC Naw. Yi need New St. Mirren Park pall. Gonny geeus a quid fur a wee cuppa tea ?

Fuck this for a game of soldiers ! How could I have got it so wrong ? A red mist descended and I kicked out at the nearest thing to me, an empty can of Carlsberg Special Brew, probably last owned by the old tramp. It was a perfect connection with the outside of the boot and had it been a freekick, one that I would have been proud of in my playing days. The can cleared the the wall with a bit of bend that migh have deceived a keeper, before dipping into what I imagined would have been the top corner. I almost put my had up to celebrate, but before I could, there was an almighty crash, a huge flash and a creaking noise as one of the floodlight pylons started to lean over. I could only watch as it fell onto the wall, just above where the tramp sat in a drunken stupor. For a moment it looked like the wall would hold, but then one brick fell, followed by another and before I knew it, the whole wall had collapsed on top of the tramp, followed by the floodlight pylon which emitted one last flash of electricity before fizzing out. I had no idea if he was crushed or electrocuted, but one thing was certain …...

AMC was dead !

I had a strange feeling that this would not be the last time that I kick an inanimate object in anger, causing harm to an innocent party. From behind me I heard a voice, there was a hint of french in the accent

Bastard

Me: What the fuck are you gawping at bytheway ?
    Stranger: My name is Wenger, Arsene Wenger, and I'm afraid I didn't see the incident.
    Me: Aye well pall. Just remember that if our paths ever cross again.

Time to vacate the scene. I jumped into the Alfa, set the sat nav for New St. Mirren Park and put my foot down. It wasn't too far, just the other side of Paisley. It wasn't long before the sat nav was directing me to turn onto Greenhill Road, and there was the ground and this looked a lot more like it !

vCash
    Can't beat a bit of Buckie first thing in the morning

vCash

vCash
    A chance to finish what I've started

There wasn't much time to meet the staff or assess the squad fully before the match. First impression was that this was quite an aged squad with 4 players the wrong side of 30 – former Inverness and Ross County defender Grant Munro (34), Midfielder Jim Goodwin (33) who with one cap for The Republic is the only international, right back David van Zanten (32) and former Motherwell hitman Michael Higdon (31).

There were also 2 familiar faces, right winger David Greenhill (29) and midfielder Mark Lamont (21), both of who had arrived from East Stirling. Neither had improved much and Greenhill had made one appearance off the bench in the last 2 seasons.

I also had a few selection problems. Munro was suspended while midfielders Sean Burns (21) and Stuart Armstrong (22) were both out injured. Defender Kyle Faulds (22) and midfielder Jack Smith (19 and my only teenager) were both out on loan (Ayr and East Fife). That still left me with 27 to select from. Without having much time to prepare, and no idea how caretaker John Barnes would set them up (his preference is for a 4-1-2-1-2 attacking line up), I decided to go with the tried and tested. I'd stick with the 4-1-3-1-1 that had worked so well for East Stirling.

I still think I needed something more, something that would give us the incentive to play to the best we possibly could. I had been through the team talk, we had discussed the team and individual tactics and expectations and with 5 minutes before we were due on the pitch, I welcomed to the dressing room the current manager of the world beating San Marino. He may have a reputation for being a bit psychotic and known to try extreme methods, but he certainly knew how to motivate a team of average footballers.

As he entered the room all fell silent. Silent except for the thrashing sound of death metal being played at full volume on a system not designed for such a small enclosed space. There was no team talk.
    He just walked down the line of players. To each in turn he looked them in the eyes. There was doubt in everyone of them. They didn't have a scooby what was going on. To each player he gave a not unforceful thump on the chest. Man by man they fell to the ground.

There is no sound quite like 16 men rolling on the floor and gasping for breath.

Had this been a step too far ? It certainly looked like it in the first half. Despite lining up with a defensive looking 3-2-2-3 formation that included Evans and McGeever making their debuts, and Sheringham as the only recognised striker, East Stirling made all the running and we were pressed back in our area for most of the half. A Conroy cross was converted by Pawlett on 14 minutes to open the scoring

And there was no surprise, other than it took them so long, when Cusack made it 2-0 with still 7 minutes of the first half to survive. I had seen plenty of things wrong with that pathetic performance, and told the lads so at half time

This was the proverbial game of 2 halves. I had hardly got myself back in the dugout when McGowan hammered in a van Zanten cross to pull back the deficit. And it was almost all square minutes later after a foul on Higdon resulted in McGowan's free kick crashing off the bar. With 30 minutes left, I introduced Lewis Guy to the attack and we switched to a 4-3-3 formation. Wave after wave of Saints attacks followed, but Evans was having an outstanding debut. As the board was displayed shoeing 4 minutes of extra time to be played, it looked as if they would hold out. Then, in the dieing seconds, another van Zanten cross was controlled by Robertson. He had time to pick his spot and lashed it into the top corner.

Fergie Time strikes again !

Stories Mod

vCash
    So you couldn't beat them.
    Probably unlikely to engineer a win in such a short space of time.

Now all thoughts to The Saints.

Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast