Thread: Challenge 17 - A Football Philosophy - Part 1

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    Holy Trinity Member
    Tournaments Won: 2

vCash

Challenge 17 - A Football Philosophy - Part 1

The 1995 European Cup final (That's the Champions League to you kids) saw AC Milan paired against Ajax Amsterdam. Two great football giants of the past, one the epitome of the modern era of football with its big name signings huge transfer fees and glamour. The other a member of football royalty trying to adapt to a sport that was becoming increasingly more about money and leaving it behind.

Milan under the stewardship of Fabio Capello were the reigning European Champions and the dominant force in European football. Ajax were the surprise package and had in fact exceeded all expectations just by reaching the final. They were made up of a largely unknown group of young players who were barely in long trousers. Everyone expected them to be cannon fodder for the mighty Milan. It's a funny old game...

Your job is to take control of Ajax and return them to the summit of European football. In doing so you must adhere to the philosophy of the club and only sign young players.

The Rules

This is a 6 season challenge to be completed only with the original CM 01/02 database. Season 1 is a non scoring season which you must use to get rid of any player that is 23 years old or more. Seasons 2-6 (5 seasons) will be used to accumulate as many trophies as possible with particular emphasis on winning the CL.

At the start of every season you must not have any player in the squad that is 23 or more. Players that turn 23 during the season are and remain eligible for that season.

If you can't ship out all your players in season 1 you cannot score points in season 2 so this should be your priority!

You can play any formation you wish however the formation you choose must be grounded within the realms of realism, no playing 2 at the back etc.

There is one exemption to the age rule. Any player that was in the Ajax match day squad for the 1995 final is fair game. Jari Litmanen is still at the club but you are also free to sign Davids, Kluivert, Seedorf et al. Indeed if they play enough games during a season they will even earn you a bonus! (excludes Litmanen)

Scoring

Dutch title = 100 points
    Dutch Cup = 50 points
    UEFA Cup = 200 points
    European Cup = 400 points
    Season bonus for 1995 player = 25 points (player must play a minimum of 25 matches)
    European Award for players = 10 points

This challenge should be loads of fun. You start the game with a young Ibrahimovic and Van der Vaart and get the chance to pair them with Kluivert, Seedorf and Overmars. One thing for sure is there are going to be some big scores in those Dutch cup games.

The official match day squads for the 1995 final

You can choose to create the game yourself, or download a pre-loaded save
    Save Game
    http://champman0102.co.uk/downloads.php?do=file&id=247
    Last edited by Craig Forrest; 18-02-16 at 04:41 PM.

vCash
    Think I'll give this a go myself.

vCash
    With no points on offer for the first season I'll keep this brief.

Won the league by 5 pts from PSV, but only secured the league on the last day with a 3-0 win over them at home, finishing the season 29 games unbeaten, recording 90 pts from our 34 games, although scoring 113 times! Reached the final of the CL, after overcoming Man Utd and Arsenal in the quarters and semis before we fell apart against Super Roma losing 3-0, with 4 players recording a 5 and 2 injuries in the first half to contend with. Won the Dutch Cup as well, 5-0 over Groningen.

Signing of the season was Tsigalko with 55 in 38 games although he slowed down towards the end. Managed to recruit a number of the 95 winning squad with Ronald de Boer, Winston Bogarde, Michael Reiziger and Jari Litmanen joining keeper Fred Grim at the club, with Peter van Vossen and Finidi joining in the summer on bosmans. Over notable signings include Pinheiro, Voulgaris, Prutton, Aghahowa, Lee Chun Soo and Kim Kallstrom, with Mark Kerr and Scott MacDonald also arriving before next season.

Anybody know if sub apps count towards the 25 games, e.g. 12(14)?

Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Shaping up a fantastic looking squad there AMC with the likes of Prutton, Kallstrom and Kerr making up a dangerous midfield trio. Good luck in the upcoming seasons.

I think they have to be starting appearances? Nothing is stopping you subbing them a minute in to the game (although that would be cheating) but this needs clearing up as it counts for Part II as well.

vCash
    I was thinking the same mate. Bit of a ball ache as I think even with reaching the CL and Cup final I didn't play 50 games, so doesn't give much to work with. Only points for winning things too, nothing for runners up, semis or 3rd places is a bit naughty as well

vCash
    First season for points, and this is how we faired:

League - Winners! PSV were real bastards for most of the season winning 22 out of the first 24 games before eventually losing in game 25 when we finally went top, and we were eventually crowned champions on the penultimate weekend.

Dutch Cup - We met rivals PSV in the final were a strong second half showing saw us win the cup 3-0 with a brace from Mido and one from Lee Chun Soo.

Champions League -
    Went out in the Quarter Finals on away goals to Liverpool after drawing the 1st leg 0-0 at Anfield and then only getting a 1-1 draw back in Amsterdam.

Season bonus for 1995 player - Only missing four of the 1995 matchday squad now (Blind and Rijkaard are retired) so the aim will be to try and bring in Kluivert (Barcelona), Davids (Roma), Seedorf (Inter) and Kanu (Arsenal) to the club over the summer, with Kluivert and Seedorf already showing under interested so fingers crossed. Managed to juggle the 10 players well enough to get the bonus although I had a scare over Finidi when he got injured in February for 3 months but he was back for the last 3 games to get to the 25 mark.

Player of the Season
    - Tsigalko. 38 in 34 doesn't sound great but averaging more than a goal a game in a formation with two strikers is special, and his average rating of 8.47 was the only one of the squad over 8. Julius Aghahowa also had a great season in a number of roles, striker, winger and centre mid.

Points this season

League Title - 100 pts
    Dutch Cup - 50 pts
    Season bonus for 1995 player - 25pts x 9 = 225 pts

Total for season = 100 + 50 + 220 = 375 pts

Total points on challenge so far = 375
    pts.
    Last edited by AMC; 23-11-12 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Points altered, didn't realise Litmanen doesn't count towards 1995 bonus points.

vCash
    Was hoping to finish this before the month's out for double bubble but doubt that's going to happen now

vCash
    Same with for me AMC for Part II, but then I went on holiday

Cracking first season by the way, hopefully with the signings of Kluivert and Seedorf you'll be able to push for CL glory.

vCash
    Finished 2nd season last night so will do a write up tonight. Glad you didn't go missing again

vCash
    So on to the second season for points:

League - Winners! Won a lot more eaisly this year with PSV not the force they were last year.

Champions League - Winners! 2-1 winners over Bayern in the final, leading 1-0 till the 90th minute before Kallstrom doubled our lead. Oretga hit a late consolation but it was too late by then.

Dutch Cup -
    Semi Finalists. Was 2-1 up against Feyenoord away at the hour mark before I nipped out my room, came back to see we lost 3-2

Season bonus for 1995 player -
    Only missing three of the 1995 matchday squad now as I managed to sign Kanu for 10m, but he only arrived in February and despite missing six weeks through injury, he was never going to get to the 25 mark.

A number of first teamers will have to go ahead of next season though, Chivu, Terry (bought for 12m) and Lee Chun Soo just a few, and unless I can get some decent young full backs in I may have to go with 3 at the back which I don't tend to do. I'd also like to get at least one of the three remaining big guns in, Seedorf, Davids or Kluivert.

Points this season

League Title - 100 pts
    Champions League - 400 pts
    Season bonus for 1995 player - 25pts x 9 = 225 pts

Total for season = 100 + 400 + 225 = 725 pts

Total points on challenge so far = 375
    pts + 725 pts = 1,100 pts
    Last edited by AMC; 23-11-12 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Points altered, didn't realise Litmanen doesn't count towards 1995 bonus points.

vCash
    Never leave CM mid-way through an important game I thought that was an unwritten CM law?

Another good season, those 1995 players are pulling in a lot of points for you.

vCash
    ODB means .60 or .68 is okay? Wanna start this challenge right now.

Tournaments Won: 11

vCash
    Both are fine mate since they are pretty much the same in terms of players available. Reckon .60 might have the slight edge

vCash
    Got too many saves going at the moment but going to pick this one up again and finish it, then move on to the Roman General challenge and finish that off too. Wish me luck!

Tournaments Won: 11

vCash
    I wish you luck

Except in DTL

vCash
    Ha Ha

TWS Unattached
    Starting this one now.

vCash
    Best of luck

vCash
    Third season down:

League - Winners! Not as convincing as last year but never really in trouble, heading the table from week 3 except for a couple of weeks around Xmas.

Champions League - Semis. Ran into Super Roma and lost the first leg away 3-1 after Van der Sar had a howler, but there was hope when Finidi put us ahead in the return early, but the Italian side held on to go through 3-2 on agg.

Dutch Cup - Winners!
    A comfortable 2-0 win over Vitesse, the only disappointment being some poor finishing.

Season bonus for 1995 player -
    Managed to sign Davids (15m from Roma) and Seedorf (22 from Inter) to leave just Kluivert left to sign, but just as the season was about to start Van Vossen and R. De Boer decided to retire

Other transfer business weren't so straight forward as a number of important players from last season had to be sold having reached 23. John Terry (10m - Roma), Chivu (12.5m) and Radoi (2.5m - Lyon) severley weakened our first choice defence as well as backups Pasanen, Reid and Cruz, and finding replacements was very difficult, in the end just Martyn Burns (Pearce regen) signed permanently with two season loan deals for centre backs Paul Reid and Ricardo Carmo. Things don't look like getting any easier either, as another three key defenders will leave in the summer, Maxwell, Prutton and Yakubu as they have all reached 23, leaving us with veterans F. De Boer (35), Bogarde (34) and Reiziger (32) as our only recognised defenders Other notable players set to leave are Ibrahimovic, Aghahowa and Mark Kerr, so a busy summer is definitely in the making.

Points this season

League Title - 100 pts
    Dutch Cup - 50 pts
    Season bonus for 1995 player - 25pts x 11 = 275 pts

Total for season = 100 + 50 + 275 = 425 pts

Total points on challenge so far = 1,100
    pts + 425 pts = 1,525 pts
    Last edited by AMC; 25-12-12 at 04:55 PM.

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash
    Good work mate!

vCash
    One last screenie before I make a start on PTP.

vCash
    Fourth season in the bag:

League - Winners!

Champions League - Runners Up Met Super Roma in the semis with the home leg first, and things weren't looking good when after 85 mins we found ourselves 1-0 down, but two quick goals from van der Vaart and Overmars saw us come away with a 2-1 win. The second leg saw Roma go ahead on the quarter of an hour mark through Montella to put them ahead on away goals, but that was short lived as Tsigalko levelled, and then put us ahead on 40. Totti tied the game at 2-2 on the stroke of half time but there was no further goals, and so we were through to the final to play Barcelona. Unfortunately it weren't our night as second half goals from Gaston Casas and Javier Saviola gave the catalans the trophy.

Dutch Cup -
    Semis PSV away was the worst possible draw we could get and we went down 1-0 after a solitary strike from Arjen Robben.

Season bonus for 1995 player - Kluivert was the final signing I needed to make of the '95 squad but after Litmanen picked up an injury we couldn't add to last seasons tally.

Finally splashed the cash as we made 10 signings. Joining Kluivert at the clubs were defenders Darlas, Loovens, Arnold de Jong, Johan Cornelisse, Phil Gill and Luiz Eduardo Justino dos Santos to bolster the backline, while Alberto Aquilani and Ricardo Quaresma gave me extra midfield options. The final signing was River Plate striker Maxi Lopez although he wouldn't see much game time. Leaving the club due to reaching 23 were Prutton (10m - Newcastle), Arsenal (5.75m - Wigan), Yakubu (10m - Celtic), Aghahowa (20m - Milan), Ibrahimovic (4.1m - 1860), Voulgaris (2m - B. Munich) and Maxwell (2.9m - A. Mineiro). Jongen, Quansah, Verbist, Kallstrom, Kujala, Mido and the big two of van der Vaart and Tsigalko will have to leave the club, and I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the 95 squad retired over the summer. Hoping to go out with a bang with the treble but I'm not confident in that!

Points this season

League Title - 100 pts

Total for season = 100 + 275 = 375 pts

Total points on challenge so far = 1,525
    pts + 375 pts = 1,900 pts

vCash
    You wont get 86 points next season for sure

vCash
    A perfect season with no retirements, all the 95 players playing 25 or more games and the treble will tie me for 6th

vCash
    Final season done and dusted:

League - Winners!

Champions League - Runners Up More final heartbreak as after 120 mins with no goals against Super Roma we headed to pens. Quaresma and Maxi Lopez missed for us and Roma's 4 penalty mistakes made no mistake and we would miss out once again.

Dutch Cup -
    Runners Up Avoided PSV all the way, as NAC Breda knocked them out in the semis. With the focus on the CL Final I named a weakened side for the game and I was made to regret that as we were blown away 3-0!

Season bonus for 1995 player - Grim retired before the start of the new season so any chance of tying for 6th place in the challenge table was already out the question before a ball had been kicked. All the others met the criteria this season though.

The sales of van der Vaart (Inter - 18.5m) and Tsigalko (1.5m - Zaragoza) were the biggest losses to the squad, while Jongen (10m - Chelsea) and Kallstrom (12.5m - Fenerbahce) were also an integral part of our squad. I was more than pleased with Jongen's replacement as Jose Antonio Reyes joined for 8m from Celta, and youth teamer Marco Koopman (Aron Winter's regen) was really beginning to look something special. Maxi Lopez though was the finding of the summer though as after spending last season in the reserves he made himself one of the first names on the team sheet scoring 33 goals from 26 (10) apps.

Points this season

League Title - 100 pts

Total for season = 100 + 275 = 375 pts

Total points on challenge so far = 1,900
    pts + 375 pts = 2,275 pts

A thoroughly enjoyable challenge and one I should have played earlier. The heartbreak in the last few CL's have made me carry on the save, although I won't be adhering to the signing restrictions no more, and the 120m in the bank has already been dipped into as I have a brand new defence in Buffon, Ashley Cole, Nesta, Cannavaro and J. Zanetti, which will do nicely

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast