Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth Players

vCash

Players promoted from Youth Team

I'd like to learn how does the thing work.

I've played many games, and got teams with the lowest and the highest facilities, with lots of good coachs and none. But the thing is that investing in facilities and coachs didn't enssure good players coming up from youth team. I found myself getting woodlegs while playing in top divs with youth academys and also managed to get real gems in lower divs and without coaches and facilites.

So, is it a totally random thing? Or is ther a trick to get at least decent young players every pre-season (the time when they usually get promoted)?

vCash
    IMO is a totally random thing. I've managed Athletic Bilbao several times and it's a club known for his "cantera" and i only remember a couple of youth players promotions.
    In the other hand, i don't know if this happened because of them being basque and all. But the strangest thing is that Alavés promotes every single season 2/3 basque players.

vCash
    Playing with Royal Spa FC in Belgium got shitty players for 5 or 6 seasons, then got top facilities and top coaches. The 7th season got really good youngsters, and so on.

Played a similar scenario with Fano in Italy and never got any good youngster, even after 15 seasons =/

EDIT: I remember now that River Plate and Boca Juniors always get cracks, I managed River after 14 seasons in another club and it was full of crack youngsters from their youth team. This happen every time I play long games... Maybe it is a hard coded thing for certain clubs?

As long as I've being playing, it's been random. I think in all my years I've gotten one decent player. But I guess when I started playing back in the day I always had a full squad of 50 players so there was no room... It does make that one player extra special though, which is better than getting a regen of your old (world class)team!

Tournaments Won: 11

vCash
    The less players in the squad the more chance of young players coming through the ranks. So a squad of ~35 is optimum for get more youth players too.

Not sure if it's relative but does the game have an eye-for-eye system with retiring players similar to regens i.e. if a player retires at you're club, his regen will come through? Could explain why the bigger/prestigious clubs get the lions share of good youngsters coming through (even though that could be more of a nudge towards realism).

If you notice when a player retires whilst on his free, his regen will return on a free also, but if he retires at a club, his regen will end up at a club (not 100% if its the same one mind you, but I guess some % ends up at the club at the time of retirement

vCash
    Doesn't explain the guisely regent tho....

vCash
    Guiseley have some strange flawed rep, like -50 or something. A bug but an interesting one!

vCash
    Used to love finding giggsys regen there.

Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    -50?
    Does it show that in editor then?
    Always knew they got decent regens. Didn't know reason.

So much I don't know about this game!

vCash
    No I think it only shows in the .exe

Dunno if it still works now they are in the Conference North and using a Tapani patch. Be a fun job trying to win everything with only players that come through their youth system.

Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Ah I see.
    Must be a bug then.

Could you put a -50 into the editor do you reckon? Would it work? Or a save game editor?

Could put an interesting spin on games.

vCash
    I think it's -50 out of 10000 like CMScout's ratings.

No you can't add minus reps for clubs I'm afraid. Would be ideal for clubs that do have a rep for producing good footballers - Crewe, Nantes, Le Harve etc.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

Zorb Unattached

Sandwell .... The new Guisley ?

It used to be common to keep track of the players at Guisley as they always appeared to get more than their fair share of regens. That was mainly due to a rediculous club reputaion of 65000+ due to a flaw in the database (it was coded as zero). With the March update, Guisley are now in the English Northern Premier and so have a sensible reputation. I was wondering where all the regens now went to.

After running a couple of tests with the March update, Sandwell appears to be the club to look at for regens, bouth for quality and quantity. Don't know if anyone wants to try it out to confirm my findings.

vCash
    Try about ten years worth of tests, use GpF2 to find regens and keep a track of the clubs they regen at!
    That would then be worth a thread

vCash
    Guiseley used to be a hotbead for Irish and Welsh player. I regularly would find Roy Keane and Ryan Giggs regens there. They would always be over 25.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBuckminster For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckminster View Post
    Guiseley used to be a hotbead for Irish and Welsh player. I regularly would find Roy Keane and Ryan Giggs regens there. They would always be over 25.
    I miss those days.
    The last few updates I've struggled to find the teams that have the regens coming through.
    Anyone found any other teams on this year's March update that does the regens?
    I also can't find Sandwell though that might be due to not having the conference & lower divisions on

vCash
    More likely is you are not playing on Maximum Database

Skalidis Unattached
    In my game once the FIFA world player of the year was a regen at Gainsborough Trinity, they wasnt even in the conference. He'd scored something like 90 goals in a season. Bought him for next to nothing.

vCash
    World rep must have carried over from when he retired!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    More likely is you are not playing on Maximum Database
    Indeed. I only had the English main leagues switched on. Damn. I'll bear that in mind for the next save game though. Poor old Guisely I was quite fond of them! ha.

vCash
    I've always seen more players being bought from Braintree than Guiseley by other clubs. Braintree is also quite possibly the best name of a club (and town) in the game.

vCash

Getting youth players promoted

I've started a game managing Gloucester in the CN. I thought I'd try something harder this time: not signing anybody and solely relying on youth players coming through.

But how do I get these youth players? They seem to appear totally random. At other clubs, both big and small, players have been popping up so often that it annoyed me. My current squad has only 12 players, and I could really use a couple of substitutes. A right-back wouldn't hurt either!

Some of you guys seem to know this game inside out - do you know the answer to this one? And please don't let it be "get top notch youth and training facilites" ..

vCash
    I did a long career across UK, which after about 8 seasons culminated in me joining Rochdale. I took them from D3 mediocrity to Champions League winners in I think 7 years. At the start of that time I was getting dross promoted from youth team, but I won the Champions League with two excellent young British youth team promoted strikers helping to lead the line, and other youth players were also of better quality too. The difference really seemed to be when I got into the Premier League.

Also in that game which was very interesting was after managing 5 seasons with Carrick Rangers in Northern Ireland I resigned and took over Rhyl. I sent scout out for youth and picked up a regen on a free called Ian Smith. His stats were excellent even then, and yet he was quite happy to join a Welsh club. I only stayed for two seasons because I'd won it all in that time. His contract then expired and he left the club, and yet nobody signed him. I had joined Albion Rovers in Scotland and his wage demands were too high, but after only a season I got hired by Rochdale and signed him on then. Note that he had been without a club for all that time.

He is the one player that I took all the way from D3 to winning the Champions League. He is my captain, and now captaining Scotland internationally as well too I'm sure. His stats must have improved somewhat, but not noticeably so, and yet he has coped with every level of football admirably. Why did no-one else sign him in all that time?? Madness!

I guess it was down to reputation? He had only played for a Welsh League club, and it seems it was only him and me that knew he was a good player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JLa View Post
    I've started a game managing Gloucester in the CN. I thought I'd try something harder this time: not signing anybody and solely relying on youth players coming through.

But how do I get these youth players? They seem to appear totally random. At other clubs, both big and small, players have been popping up so often that it annoyed me. My current squad has only 12 players, and I could really use a couple of substitutes. A right-back wouldn't hurt either!

Some of you guys seem to know this game inside out - do you know the answer to this one? And please don't let it be "get top notch youth and training facilites" ..
    What if that is the answer to your questions?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodster View Post
    What if that is the answer to your questions?
    That would make me a very sad panda, and we don't want that, do we?

I was thinking, if the youth players actually are regens ... I guess players don't start retiring until between the first and second season. No retirements -> no regens -> no youth players for me. Could it be as simple as this? If so, I'm gonna have a tough season.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast