Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 677374757677
Results 1,901 to 1,906 of 1906

Thread: How are you doing?

vCash
    Really love these updates, Sure! Shootometer

vCash
    Wanted to try out Luessenhoff's enhanced ODB, so just started a game as Liverpool for the millionth time. Had to self-impose some kind of restriction to make it interesting, so decided I'm only allowed to sign teenagers. It's been difficult.

Signings: Trond Fredrik Ludvigsen, Mark Kerr, Kim Kallstrom, John Heitinga, Marek Szmid, David van Zanten (loan)

I also stupidly decided to stray from my trusty formation to a 5-3-2 (GK, DC DC DC, DML DMR, MC MC, AMC, FC FC) to incorporate John Arne Riise (had to, I guess), so I'm playing with wing-backs for the first time in about 10 years. That's looking like a one-season experiment becasue, as you can see, it led to me getting bloody Marek Szmid and David van Zanten in to cover the DMR position while Vegard Heggem was injured.

Can't believe I haven't been sacked after finishing 11th, though I did get to UEFA Cup final (lost 1-0 against Parma, thanks to a last-minute Hidetoshi Nakata penalty).

So due to the dearth of teenage full/wing-back talent (and Liverpool's lack of them - I'm so used to arriving at a club and having to offload half a dozen full-backs!), I'm going back to my trusty 3-5-2 (GK, DC DC DC, DMC DMC, ML MR MC, FC FC) in the second season. I usually like to play attacking players in the wide-midfield positions, but I'll give Riise a chance there first!

Haven't got to the season rollover yet but already tried in vain to sign Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Pepe Reina, so can see this being a frustrating summer. My last chance to sign Reina as he turns 20 in August. Also means I have to keep players I'd normally sell straight away, because I can't replace them so readily!

If/when I get sacked, think I'll drop down a division or two and continue to only buy teenagers... see how it goes.

vCash
    Think I would give Smicer a go at wingback myself

vCash

Trophy Hunt part 1

It's been a while since I played cm0102. Probably 6 years... But the recent World Cup brought me back to this old love.
    There was still a thing I wanted to achieve, winning all the trophies in one save game. So I'm going to give it a try.

Only rule I have for myself that I use non-wibwob tactics that I created myself.

Here is my challenge:

Season 2017-2018 Ajax Amsterdam
    I started my trophy hunt with my favorite club in the Netherlands: Ajax Amsterdam. A very talented squad with a lot of youngsters waiting to collect the first prize in their careers.
    Before the start of the season I bought a few players to strengthen the squad:

Good old Maarten Stekelenburg as my reserve goalie
    Enfant terrible Hatem Ben Arfa as a reserve for my wingers
    Youngster Mitchell van Bergen to challenge Kluivert at the right wing
    Pacey Kingsley Ehizibue for the right back position

Managing Ajax means you have to play by the Ajax philosophy. I recreated a tactic that is based on Barcelona from a few years ago:

The season started with a try to qualify for the Champions League. After defeating Legia Warszawa we had to play against Porto for a ticket in the group stage. It became clear in this games the team needed time to get used to the new tactic. We lost and went on in the Europa League.
    FC Midtjylland was our opponent in the 2nd Round of the Europa League. Away we won with 0-1, but in the Johan Cruijff Arena we played to arrogant and lost 1-2. September was not yet over, but our European campaign was already done.

Time to focus on the national competition. Ajax started great with winning the first four games. In the fifth game AZ was to strong for us. I feared we could head in to a rocky period, but the team showed it's potential and we kept a unbeaten run untill we played away against PEC Zwolle in February. After that we didn't lose anymore games and became champions nine points ahead of PSV.

In January we started in the 3rd Round of the KNVB Beker against Twente. It was a thight game, but with a lucky shot by Huntelaar we managed to get through to the Quarter Final. In the Quarter Final we easily defeated ADO Den Haag with 5-0.
    Next up was Vitesse in the Semi Final. It was a though match, but we pulled through: 2-0.
    In the final we had to defeat one of Ajax biggest opponents PSV. It was a thrilling match that went into extra time. 2-2 after 90 minutes and then the winning goal in extra time by Huntelaar again! We also won the KNVB Beker!

This was a great start of my trophy hunt. One season, two prizes!

At first I was planning on staying in Amsterdam for another season, but two months after winning the cup I decided to move elsewhere...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Airwick For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riise View Post
    Wanted to try out Luessenhoff's enhanced ODB, so just started a game as Liverpool for the millionth time. Had to self-impose some kind of restriction to make it interesting, so decided I'm only allowed to sign teenagers. It's been difficult.

Signings: Trond Fredrik Ludvigsen, Mark Kerr, Kim Kallstrom, John Heitinga, Marek Szmid, David van Zanten (loan)

I also stupidly decided to stray from my trusty formation to a 5-3-2 (GK, DC DC DC, DML DMR, MC MC, AMC, FC FC) to incorporate John Arne Riise (had to, I guess), so I'm playing with wing-backs for the first time in about 10 years. That's looking like a one-season experiment becasue, as you can see, it led to me getting bloody Marek Szmid and David van Zanten in to cover the DMR position while Vegard Heggem was injured.

Can't believe I haven't been sacked after finishing 11th, though I did get to UEFA Cup final (lost 1-0 against Parma, thanks to a last-minute Hidetoshi Nakata penalty).

So due to the dearth of teenage full/wing-back talent (and Liverpool's lack of them - I'm so used to arriving at a club and having to offload half a dozen full-backs!), I'm going back to my trusty 3-5-2 (GK, DC DC DC, DMC DMC, ML MR MC, FC FC) in the second season. I usually like to play attacking players in the wide-midfield positions, but I'll give Riise a chance there first!

Haven't got to the season rollover yet but already tried in vain to sign Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Pepe Reina, so can see this being a frustrating summer. My last chance to sign Reina as he turns 20 in August. Also means I have to keep players I'd normally sell straight away, because I can't replace them so readily!

If/when I get sacked, think I'll drop down a division or two and continue to only buy teenagers... see how it goes.
    Second season! Came 4th (the smile is cos it was courtesy of a late surge - very ordinary season, did NOT deserve it). League Cup 4th Round and FA Cup 5th Round, so nothing really to note there. I think board wanted the title but they've stayed "generally satisfied".

Signings:
    Baki Mercimek (DC, Sunderland, £300k)
    Tonton Zola Moukoko (AM/FRC, Derby, £250k)
    Calum Davenport (DC, Coventry, £1.4m)
    Alexandros Tzorvas (GK, PAO, £1m)
    Jermain Defoe (SC, West Ham, £5.5m)
    Joleon Lescott (DC, Wolves, £8m)
    Bjorn Helge Riise (MC, Aalesund, £180k)

Might seem boring to some that I'm buying several of the usual names, but I've never actually been a Kerr/Moukoko guy, so it's staying fresh! Always buy Kallstrom though ha.

Missed out on Franck Ribery on a free, chose bloody Fulham over me! Have just stopped after the last game of the season, so got a lot of shopping to do over the summer. Le Tallec and Sinama-Pongolle on their way due to the arranged transfers... the latter looks the better prospect at the moment!

Guess I'll be keeping hold of players for longer than I usually would, but need to make sure there are successors for Hyypia and Henchoz (both 29) lined up... Mercimek and Davenport probably not good enough. Also need to keep an eye out for regens of great keepers as Dudek is 32! Tzorvas probably not gonna be better than a backup, sadly.

Best XI: Dudek; Hyypia, Henchoz, Lescott; Gerrard Hamann; Kallstrom, Berger, Litmanen; Defoe, Owen

Average age of squad: 22.33

Every team in the world wants Heitinga, for some reason, even though he's my seventh-best DC and has been out on loan at Crewe all season.

vCash

Trophy Hunt part 2 - Moving across the North Sea

After my succesfull first season with Ajax Amsterdam I decided it was time to move on and try to win prizes in another country. With just the reputation of one season there was not a lot of choice. After a few unsuccesfull attempts I ended up in...

Hartlepool
    Hartlepool won the English National League in the previous season and had been recently promoted to League Two.
    I had a pretty decent squad and a little bit of money to start with. I introduced a new tactic inspired by the Ajax team of 1995 and brought in a few players to strenghten the squad.
    After a great first game, 3-0 home against Rotherham, we had a lot of draws. 1-1, 0-0, 1-1 etc. Once in a while we won or lost a game. There was no real progression in our play and it looked like this would be a season without a trophy. At the end of October Hartlepool was still a performing at midtable level and the gap with the first spot was growing almost every week. And then a new opportunity opened up:

Cardiff City
    In the first week of November I moved to Cardiff City. At that moment Cardiff City was at place 10 in the Championship.
    My first game was the 3rd round of the EFL Cup and we started with a 0-1 loss against Burnley. The other games in November we had to adjust to the new tactic, Ajax 1995, and won, lost and draw some games. In December we started a good run. After bringing in some new players for a whooping 45 million Euros in January we became a unstoppable team. The signing of Vokes, Pléa, Ehizibue and Forshaw proved to be right ones. We didn't lose another game untill the last game of the season. But at that time we already were crowned champions!

My first international job: Panama
    In March I got the chance to manage Panama and prepare the team for the CONCACAF Gold Cup that started in June.
    After spending a lot of time searching for good Panamanian players I introduced a very attacking tactic that was inspired by the Dream Team of Cruijff when he was coach of Barcelona.

After a 6-0 win against Puerto Rico and a 1-1 draw against Nicaragua I was ready for the Gold Cup. We had a mediocre squad, but with a bit of luck our attacking strategy could pay of. We had to play Belize, Guatemala and Costa Rica in the group phase.
    The 4-0 win against Belize made me believe we could do something special. That feeling kept growing when we won 2-0 against Guatemala and draw 1-1 against Costa Rica.
    We made it through the group phase and now we had to play against Mexico in the semi final. I was afraid that this would be the end of the road, but we pulled through and won 1-0! We made it to the FINAL!!!
    Could I win my first international prize with Panama? All we had to do was to win against Honduras in the final...

We started of great with the first goal in the 15th minute and making it to 2-0 before the break. Nothing could stop us now! But then something went wrong. 6 minutes in the second half and it was 2-2!
    After that the teams looked like they gave their best already and the game was in lockdown. A penalty shoot-out had to decide the winner of the Gold Cup.
    Honduras didn't have the killers and we won the shoot-out with 3-1! Panama, champions of the CONCACAF!

After two seasons I managed to get 4 prizes:

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Airwick For This Useful Post:

Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 677374757677