Page 78 of 79 FirstFirst ... 68747576777879 LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 1955

Thread: How are you doing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Dalglish's Smile View Post
    Ouch, 96 points as well!
    Yeah loosing both games to Sunderland (who won the league) did not help either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
    Looks like an exciting season, and if the goal was to avoid relegation it was surely a successfu lone too even if promotion slipped away at the end.
    My main consolations are that Sunderland basically cheated and spent thier way to victory in the championship.

31 million transfers out:

25 million transfers in:

Also the FA agree that the ref was terrible in the semi-final second leg.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fry78 For This Useful Post:

vCash

Derby, season 2004/5

Three seasons at Derby have given first a relegation, then a promotion and then another relegation. The goal for this season was to get promoted again, and I was confident that we would be among the teams competing for the promotion spots. Competition was hard, however, and I felt far from certain that we would be among the lucky three teams to ascend to top tier football next season.

To give the squad match training and self confidence befor ethe new season we travelled to Wales and played four friendly games there, winning all four easily with a combined goal difference of 19-1. The season proper also started well with 7 points from the three first games and a relatively easy game against Kidderminster harriers in the first round of the League Cup. We then had two difficult away games at Aston Villa and Southampton, losing the first and drawing the latter, but the draw at St. Mary's was the start of a 7 games unbeaten run and we had established ourselves as one of the top teams of the division.

There should have been a left winger coming in in the summer, but as the squad was full there was no opportunito to sign any players. We did however sell some reserve team players wanting first team football, and in October a quite decent-looking experienced Dutchman arrived from Cambuur Leeuwarden for Ł425k.

In the cups we had a good start in the League Cup easily beating 2nd Division team Kidderminster, before needing penalties to beat conference team Slough. Then in the 3rd round we had our first big game, facing Arsenal. In a close game, it wasn't decided until the very last minute of playing time, but somehow we managed to take this.

4th round brought more Premiership opposition, as we travelled to Newcastle. Another close game, if not as exciting as the last one.

Having beaten two Premier League teams, I started getting my hopes up that maybe we could go all the way to Wembley. First, though, we had to win in the quarter final, which was arguably our biggest game of the season:

Spoiler!

Halfway through the season things were looking decent but not superb, as we were definitely in contention for a promotion spot but competition was hard and at the start of January we found ourselves in third place behind Gillingham and Stoke.

Spoiler!

Left back was the position that most needed strengthening in January, and sticking to the policy of signing the cheapest available shortlisted player, young Martin Davis was brought in. An unpolished gem, I did not expect too much of him, but he went straight into the first team squad.

Also in January, Taribo West who had been a key player for me since the beginning was becoming more and more of a nuisance. He delivered the goods on the pitch, but he was loudly unhappy and was becoming unpopular among the rest of the squad, so he was sent off to Southampton for 2.5M. His replacement come from no lesser club than Barcelona, for 625k:

We kept a steady pace, generally playing solid and as the season drew to a close promotion was a definite possibility. Game day 46 came, and the stage was set for an exciting end to the season, with Stoke hosting Gillingham whereas we were visited by QPR, who were already relegated. I suppose calling it a close race thus far isn't too inaccurate.

Spoiler!

We did our job, but so did Stoke, and we were drawn against Norwich in the play-off semi-final, a team we'd done well against the last few meetings.

Spoiler!

We started with a home game, and didn't have too much trouble defeating them, and we were feeling optimistic before going to the away game.

Spoiler!

Overall a fairly good season, but the squad is still lacking in some areas, and losing Taribo West was a blow to my defence (even if selling him restored dressroom harmony). Horacio Carbonari is also going away in the summer, he's been whiny all season and doesn't like Nikos Machlas for some reason. Position to be strengthened is, as it was in January, left back.
    The new signings weren't all that impressive, Laros did decent and Davis is still young, but I had expected more from Navarro. One who did impress was young centre half Ian Evatt, who before this season had one game for Derby (in the 2000/01 season) and ten games on loan at Northampton in 2001. What a debut season he had, missing only 5 games and being included in the team of the year as well!

Spoiler!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

vCash

Ascolli 2035 Preview

I decided to manage Ascoli in 2035.

This fella once played for them.

But in 2035 Ascoli are in Serie B in Italy's second tier.

The facilities are awful and the financial situation is insecure.

The team is over 8m in debt.

I did a bit of investigation to see what caused this.

There was a ridiculous spending spree of 21m in 2030.

Only 8m of that was recouped that year.

At first I mistakenly thought Doriva (Formerly a Middlesbrough player and Brazilian international) was the main cause of Ascoli's financial meltdown.

But he was hired after the spending spree and promotion to Serie A.

The damage was done by the manager previous to Doriva

Roberto Stellone:

Stellone managed Ascoli to promotion from Serie B and was manager of the year runner up for that division.

He quickly left Ascoli to manage Chievo in Serie A the following January where he won the 2031 Italian Cup, and was runner up in Serie A in 2034.

Not to be confused with this guy:

Since Stellone's tenure at Ascoli the club have been very frugal with thier spending.

The board still expects me to achieve a respectable position in the league.

These expectations are despite having having no funds. It is more annoying The chairman is wealthy but as yet is reluctant to splash the cash.

Maybe Stellone has made him think twice about spending his hard earned cash?

The plus point is that the Chairman seems very patient compared to most in the football world.
    Last edited by fry78; 08-02-19 at 01:55 PM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fry78 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Second season with Chelsea and the first time I've had a player score 6 goals in an EPL match - the obscure and unknown Papadopoulos!
    David Collins, To Madeira and Skalidis have scored 5 for me in the past and Orri Freyr has scored 6 a few times on 03/04 (Diablo)
    I've never had it on 01/02

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 1369phil For This Useful Post:

vCash
    @Pegster: what a game against Arsenal with two goals in the final minute of extra time! Used up all your luck, it seems, followed by a nasty home exit against your biggest rivals and then an extra-time/away goals nightmare in the playoffs. Good luck for next season!

@1369: I have had (Saevar Freyr) Alexandersson score six in a match on 0102 several times and maybe even a seven but it is very rare.

vCash
    @Pegster: what a game against Arsenal with two goals in the final minute of extra time! Used up all your luck, it seems, followed by a nasty home exit against your biggest rivals and then an extra-time/away goals nightmare in the playoffs. Good luck for next season!

@1369: I have had (Saevar Freyr) Alexandersson score six in a match on 0102 several times and maybe even a seven but it is very rare.
    Saevar just scored 6 for me in a reserve game from AMC

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 1369phil For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Hit the '100 league games unbeaten in a row' mark last night on my Guiseley save. Amazing run of form with my self created non-wibwob tactic.

Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

vCash
    One can only assume you have players who are far too good for those divisions? 151/20 and not superkeepered once in 3 seasons?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Dalglish's Smile For This Useful Post:

vCash

vCash
    One can only assume you have players who are far too good for those divisions? 151/20 and not superkeepered once in 3 seasons?
    In the lowest leagues you only need certain attributes to be high.

Handling for keepers, mine had 15 and grew to 17.
    Positioning and Jumping for defenders, my 3 DC's all had 15+ for those two.
    Passing for DMC and MC's, mine all had 15+ for those.
    Pace/Acceleration and Balance for wingers, my ML/MR had 15+ for speed and 12+ for balance.
    Pace/Acceleration and Jumping for forwards, mine had 15+ for those.

I did get superkeepered in 4 of the 5 draws that I got.

The tactic I'm using (a 3-6-1) is proving to be really stable and good. Shared it with a couple of people and they're all having success with it.
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

vCash

Derby, season 2005/6

After barely missing out on promotion last season, hopes and expectations were high in the Derby camp before the 2005/6 season. The official expectations were to reach play-offs (down from expecting promotion last year), but the goal was promotion. A few games into the season we did however find ourselves in a relegation spot after a horrible start of the season. After the poor start we did find some form and when January arrived we'd managed to climb to a decent position.

The summer signing this season was a left back, and we spent Ł500k on Thomas Griffiths from Preston. He played 3 games, and performed so poorly that he was relegated to the reserves in January. Money well spent!

Spoiler!

The January signing target was a right back, and we acquired the services of the Italian defender Francesco Bega from Olympiakos Volou (not the famous club) for Ł170k. He's started 8 games and come on from the bench a couple of times, making him a much better signing if no great success.

Spoiler!

37 years old Alexander Mostovoi was sold in November, after being transfer listed for refusing to renew his contract in the summer. While he was still a valuable part pf the squad, he was old and ihs contract was running out, and we were a bit overstaffed in his positions (AM L/C) so i was happy to get 120k for him and didn't see the need to replace him. 23 players in the 1st team squad a the moment, so one more can be sold without needing replacement as long as we have enough cover for each position.

We went out of both cups early, and after the initial scare our league performance was about as expected. We did score a lot of goal, and sat a new record for goals scored in the league by a team, passing 100 goals just before the end of the season and reaching a total of 101 goals. Our best player by far (again) was nikos Machlas, and he set a new division record for goals scored by a player, with a total of 40 goals from 44 games. A respectable amount, I would say. He's become quite a key player for us, and I am not looking forward to his retirement which can't be too far away, he's reached 32 years of age now.Hopefully he'll keep going for another couple of seasons at least.

Spoiler!

We were expected to reach the play-offs, and that we did. 3rd place was the highest we ever reached, though had we done better the first few games we might have done better. Overall I'm reasonably satisfied with the season, apart from the first month which was horrible, but there's only one player who I think did well enough to deserve praise.
    Some transfer activity is coming in the summer, the position most in need of strengthening is in goal, and we have a fairly well known goalkeeper coming in for a for us large sum in the summer. There's also one transfer out that's a done deal, with Tonton Zola Mokouko leaving for Gillingham who exploited his unprotected contract. He refused to sign a new one with us and there was nothing I could do to keep him even if I didn't want to sell him. We have enough cover in his positions, so his leaving will bring the first team squad down to 22 players, which is where I want it. Any further departures will need to be replaced, and as there's a few players over 30 and also some unprotected contracts, that may become an issue.

Spoiler!

Some good news to end the season - Nikos Machlas who only had one year left of his contract only needed a few days to agree to a new one, despite interest from bigger clubs.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by Pegster; 02-02-19 at 08:19 PM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GFRay View Post

The tactic I'm using (a 3-6-1) is proving to be really stable and good. Shared it with a couple of people and they're all having success with it.
    How 'bout post a pic in the non-wibwob thread in tactics forum?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Dalglish's Smile For This Useful Post:

vCash
    After barely missing out on promotion last season, hopes and expectations were high in the Derby camp before the 2005/6 season. The official expectations were to reach play-offs (down from expecting promotion last year), but the goal was promotion. A few games into the season we did however find ourselves in a relegation spot after a horrible start of the season. After the poor start we did find some form and when January arrived we'd managed to climb to a decent position....
    I can't see the images in your post for some reason, but you don't have Kinkladze in the squad, right? What happened to him in the game?

There was a really good article about him in the most recent edition of the Blizzard. Great side at Dynamo Tblisi with talents like Arvaldze and Ketsbaia, then a curious wandering career including Boca Juniors before eventually arriving in Manchester. Adored at City, he almost got relegated there three times, but missed the final one narrowly, plus multiple car crashes and an unlikely friendship with Nicky Summerbee and some enmity from Uwe Roesler, then went to Ajax for a high fee where he basically didn't play and pretty much got Morten Olsen the sack, then back to England with Derby - relegated and nearly relegated again - before resuming his wandering career and ending in the Cypriot league pretty much because Ketsbaia was the manager.

Overall a good fit with your Derby career

vCash
    Sold Kinkladze to Hertha Berlin for Ł5M after the first season - he wanted a new challenge I think. He later moved to Nürnberg and is now retired, not as rambling a carreer as in real life!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

vCash
    January 2007 has arrived, and this is our best season yet - avoided the dreadful start we had last year and have been top of the table for most of the season so far.

The transfer activity has been higher this year than the previous ones, owing to one retirement and some players wanting more regular first team football or new/bigger challenges. Tonton Zola Mokouko was signed by Premiership team Gillingham for 2.1M, after they exploited that he had an unprotected contract, but the squad was big enough not to need a replacement for him. A couple of other players leaving plus the usual squad improvment signings means that a total number of 5 players have come in since the end of last season, with 5 players departing as well, one of them a former youth player who never got a chance in the first team and who left when his contract was up.

Spoiler!

Season is looking good so far and I feel I have a fairly solid squad now, though the loss of Valakari could be a blow. N'Diaye looks like a good replacement, though.
    Last edited by Pegster; 04-02-19 at 10:02 PM.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

vCash
    pretty pleased so far, coming towards the end of the season and challenging for the champions league places.

upload photos free online

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to upthehammers For This Useful Post:

vCash
    After barely missing out on promotion last season, hopes and expectations were high in the Derby camp before the 2005/6 season. The official expectations were to reach play-offs (down from expecting promotion last year), but the goal was promotion. A few games into the season we did however find ourselves in a relegation spot after a horrible start of the season. After the poor start we did find some form and when January arrived we'd managed to climb to a decent position.

The summer signing this season was a left back, and we spent Ł500k on Thomas Griffiths from Preston. He played 3 games, and performed so poorly that he was relegated to the reserves in January. Money well spent!

Spoiler!

The January signing target was a right back, and we acquired the services of the Italian defender Francesco Bega from Olympiakos Volou (not the famous club) for Ł170k. He's started 8 games and come on from the bench a couple of times, making him a much better signing if no great success.

Spoiler!

37 years old Alexander Mostovoi was sold in November, after being transfer listed for refusing to renew his contract in the summer. While he was still a valuable part pf the squad, he was old and ihs contract was running out, and we were a bit overstaffed in his positions (AM L/C) so i was happy to get 120k for him and didn't see the need to replace him. 23 players in the 1st team squad a the moment, so one more can be sold without needing replacement as long as we have enough cover for each position.

We went out of both cups early, and after the initial scare our league performance was about as expected. We did score a lot of goal, and sat a new record for goals scored in the league by a team, passing 100 goals just before the end of the season and reaching a total of 101 goals. Our best player by far (again) was nikos Machlas, and he set a new division record for goals scored by a player, with a total of 40 goals from 44 games. A respectable amount, I would say. He's become quite a key player for us, and I am not looking forward to his retirement which can't be too far away, he's reached 32 years of age now.Hopefully he'll keep going for another couple of seasons at least.

Spoiler!

We were expected to reach the play-offs, and that we did. 3rd place was the highest we ever reached, though had we done better the first few games we might have done better. Overall I'm reasonably satisfied with the season, apart from the first month which was horrible, but there's only one player who I think did well enough to deserve praise.
    Some transfer activity is coming in the summer, the position most in need of strengthening is in goal, and we have a fairly well known goalkeeper coming in for a for us large sum in the summer. There's also one transfer out that's a done deal, with Tonton Zola Mokouko leaving for Gillingham who exploited his unprotected contract. He refused to sign a new one with us and there was nothing I could do to keep him even if I didn't want to sell him. We have enough cover in his positions, so his leaving will bring the first team squad down to 22 players, which is where I want it. Any further departures will need to be replaced, and as there's a few players over 30 and also some unprotected contracts, that may become an issue.

Spoiler!

Some good news to end the season - Nikos Machlas who only had one year left of his contract only needed a few days to agree to a new one, despite interest from bigger clubs.

Spoiler!
    Niklos Machlas! Not heard that name in years.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Ferguson For This Useful Post:

vCash

Derby, end of season 2006/7

No further transfer activity this season, and very few changes in the first team at all since there was an overall high level of performances.A couple of injuries and suspensions, but the there were very few changes in the team between January and May. The only real competition was between the sticks as Almunia had a couple of poor games so Mart Poom got a chance again, and their forms were going a bit back and forth. Otherwise the team was pretty much the same every game, the condition levels were surprisingly high too, only when we played games Saturday and Monday did some players need to rest.

We were out of the League Cup well before Christmas, and when we drew away at Everton in the 4th round of the FA Cup I expected to go out of that too, but after another exciting game with late goals we were through.

We faced 1st division or lower half Premier league sides in the next games, and made it all the way to the semi final, where we met fellow 1st division team Rushden & Diamonds, who were mid-table and on paper a poorer team than us.

Spoiler!

A successful run in the cup is all well and good, but it's the league that is most important. We wree solidly placed at the top of the table in January, and we kept playing well. We were not the only team playing well though, and there were several other teams who also wanted promotion.

Spoiler!

All in all a season we could be quite happy with, and I also have a squad that I am quite happy with. Some familiar names kept doing very well, like Machlas and Emam, and new signing Chen made a very solid debut season. He was signed as a striker, but played mostly as defensive or central midfielder since Machlas didn't want anyone else to get the striker spot. Malcolm Christie got his proper breakthrough in the first team this season as well, after appearing sporadically in previous seasons.

I mentioned before that this save was supposed to be an alphabet game, and I still want that (and decided that with the rules i have in place it will take too long to win stuff with many teams so I'll just have "win a trophy" as criterium, not winning the league), but I also would like to continue with Derby so I think I will split the save in two. There aren't any available jobs at the moment anyway (only England loaded), so for now I'll stay anyway.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1369phil View Post

Surprised you didn't score more - Everton don't have a goalie - Gemmill is a midfielder

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Beardo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    missed out on top 4 finish, lost some big games against Liverpool & Man City but not a bad season, bring on the next one

photo sharing

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to upthehammers For This Useful Post:

vCash

Alphabet game, season 2007/8

After winning the 1st division and the FA Cup with Derby I was faced with a difficult choice - to do as I planned when I started the save and leave them for another club starting with a different letter (eventually filling as much of the alphabet as possible), or stay and see where I could take them from here. Alphabet games are fun and there are so many teams I'd like to manage, but I was also having a lot of fun with Derby, and with the transfer restrictions I had in place I had a much closer relationship to the squad than I am wont to do. My solution was simple - I split the save in two, saving it both as an alphabet game and as a Derby save.

I applied for the first job that became available, and got it. Leek Town, hailing from Leek in Staffordshire, about an hours drive northwest of Derby, was my next destination. They were newly promoted to the Conference, had a small squad and no money, and the board wanted me to help them stay clear of relegation. Reachable goals and a challenging situation. Beeing a greengrocer and food lover I also have a fondness for the name.

I had to add a new rule to my transfer policy, as the team I took over simply didn't have enough players. I decided that if there's a position where I don't have two players at the club, I can sign someone to fill the void. At Leek, there was only one goalkeepers, and no right midfielders. My shortlist was full of both from 6 seasons of scouting, but none of them wanted to play at such a low level. There was one scout at the club, he was sent to search for youngsters, and I signed 6 other scouts as well and sent them off. They managed to find two goalkeepers pretty early but they couldn't get work permissions, and I had to wait until around Christmas to have a second goalkeeper. Thankfully the one I had performed not too bad and was never injured or suspended, but the new goalkeeper should be a vast improvment and he looked to be an excellent signing for this level.

Unfortunately for him he had never played a single game in his carreer, and Kevin Welshby managed to perform just above average form throughout the season and so de Bruine has only warmed the bench so far.

Finding a right winger somewhat surprisingly turned out to be even harder than finding a goalkeeper, there was one player that was found in the autumn and two or three in the spring, but they were all under contract and my Ł0 offers and loan offers were all rejected. Picking a grey player for every single match gets tedious after a while

The squad was small and severely lacking in quality, but a couple of players stood out when I first arrived, and my high hopes for them were not misplaced as they both had excellent seasons:

The league season went slightly better than expected, but it was a tight league and 5 games before the end it was 4 points from the 4th place down to 14th place. The goal of avoiding relegation was never in danger of not being reached, and we ended in a fairly solid 13th place.

Spoiler!

Lots of positions need better players, but apart from still looking for two right wingers the transfer target for the summer is a left back. There's a free agent from Spain in my short list that is interested, so I expect to sign him shortly. Dave Whittaker (DMC) and Alan Dodd (DRC) have contracts that expire in the summer and will also need replacement.
    Last edited by Pegster; 10-02-19 at 09:55 AM.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

vCash

Ascoli - Season 1 (2035 -2036)

Meanwhile back in Ascoli.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!
    Last edited by fry78; 11-02-19 at 07:51 PM.

42. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fry78 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Very nice

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Dalglish's Smile For This Useful Post:

Dermotron is offline Sir Mergements
    Director
    Manager
    Member of the Month
    VIP
    Captain
    vCash
    A great mix of photoshop and clip art

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post: