Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Dream Team League Discussion

vCash
    That's the point though lads. You assemble the squads as best as you can for the time being in order to build yourself a squad in the long term.

As we are effectively playing each season with a brand new save, it will differ from season to season so that's why you then decide to keep those you've bought or sell players on.

It's all about managing your squad as best as you can and your resources at the same time.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    You might want to put a minimum bid increase on Mark.

Otherwise some wise ass (ie me) will come along and bid 1 for the three guys Kaneman has bid on!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    OK, I've added an auto-value for each of the players.

These will be the minimum you can bid if you want them
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

vCash
    First of all, thank you for getting the DTL back on track, Mark.

I have a couple questions regarding the process of getting the players though. Unfortunately, I am somebody who scutinises everything. So here comes my mix of questions / suggestions.

1. Could you tell us how many rounds of auction there are? It's obv a difference if there are only 5 or if there are 15 for example. The "risky" part doesn't go away completely as maybe the quality players for the positions you are looking for might not pop up in the last couple of rounds (or you will get outbid) and you are still left with shite after you gambled in the early rounds but you at least have an idea of how many players you need in your squad by when. And don't just stand there with 7 players and 8m left when you announce "that's it".

2. Shouldn't there be a minimum bid / rate of increase? I mean, Kaneman wants those 3 guys above on a free, I might as well post that I wanna get them for 1 pound. In comes Foddy who is willing to pay 2.17 and Redders wins the auction by paying 5.45 and a Mars bar. Something like 100k seems sensible for a budget of 10m.

3. I am not sold on the open auction thing, mainly cuz you are setting yourself up for a bunch of sniper bids at deadline all the way through. It's quite a disadvantage for some people. At 12:22 midday tomorrow, I will be at uni; others will be at work; others live in a completely different time zone and are doing god knows what. I don't mind you abandoning a draft but, in my personal opinion, a blind auction would be more suitable for setting up the squad as everybody has the same chance to get the player they want.

4. As you said above, technically, I am able to bid on all the players; seems a bit easy as I don't need to prioritize. I can say I want all of them on a free and will probably end up with half of them which isn't really a point of an auction really. I reckon a max. limit per round is recommendable (maybe 5 or whatever, obviously it has to work out with the number of total rounds)

So yeah, I like most of it and I am not trying to tell you how to run it, but I just feel, and don't take this personal, that some of it hasn't been thought through completely yet. I do wanna take part though, only reason I renewed my VIP membership, just think there are some things left unclear which will lead to confusion down the line.

Edit: just seen the posts above, some of it already addressed, nice.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patinoz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patinoz View Post
    First of all, thank you for getting the DTL back on track, Mark.

I have a couple questions regarding the process of getting the players though. Unfortunately, I am somebody who scutinises everything. So here comes my mix of questions / suggestions.

1. Could you tell us how many rounds of auction there are? It's obv a difference if there are only 5 or if there are 15 for example. The "risky" part doesn't go away completely as maybe the quality players for the positions you are looking for might not pop up in the last couple of rounds (or you will get outbid) and you are still left with shite after you gambled in the early rounds but you at least have an idea of how many players you need in your squad by when. And don't just stand there with 7 players and 8m left when you announce "that's it".

2. Shouldn't there be a minimum bid / rate of increase? I mean, Kaneman wants those 3 guys above on a free, I might as well post that I wanna get them for 1 pound. In comes Foddy who is willing to pay 2.17 and Redders wins the auction by paying 5.45 and a Mars bar. Something like 100k seems sensible for a budget of 10m.

3. I am not sold on the open auction thing, mainly cuz you are setting yourself up for a bunch of sniper bids at deadline all the way through. It's quite a disadvantage for some people. At 12:22 midday tomorrow, I will be at uni; others will be at work; others live in a completely different time zone and are doing god knows what. I don't mind you abandoning a draft but, in my personal opinion, a blind auction would be more suitable for setting up the squad as everybody has the same chance to get the player they want.

4. As you said above, technically, I am able to bid on all the players; seems a bit easy as I don't need to prioritize. I can say I want all of them on a free and will probably end up with half of them which isn't really a point of an auction really. I reckon a max. limit per round is recommendable (maybe 5 or whatever, obviously it has to work out with the number of total rounds)

So yeah, I like most of it and I am not trying to tell you how to run it, but I just feel, and don't take this personal, that some of it hasn't been thought through completely yet. I do wanna take part though, only reason I renewed my VIP membership, just think there are some things left unclear which will lead to confusion down the line.

Edit: just seen the posts above, some of it already addressed, nice.
    Thanks mate, you're about the only person that has provided as much feedback as this after I first mooted the idea last week. It is the first time that I have attempted it so there is always going to be stuff that I haven't thought of and overlooked so appreciate the feedback:

1) Hadn't thought about this that far in. I was planning on putting up the same amount of players as a new auction 5 times a week (so one day a week as I won't be running this over the weekend). Would you say doing this for the next two weeks would give everybody enough time to see what is available and get a squad together by then? It'll also give those that have signed players time to haggle as well. It's also my intention to keep making the same players available in the auction so if you have missed out on a player and nobody else signed them, then you'll get the opportunity again. I may also continue this through the season but have yet to make a decision on it.

2) Totally agree and especially after ebfatz's comment too so I have now now assigned a value to each of the players that I have already put up for auction and will do the same for the forseeable future. Some players will have a bigger value than the 10m you start with but the challenge is there for you to raise that money yourself. I think it's possibly going to be easier to change the budget to 20m as well so that there is enough money in the pot to make sure you can buy at least 20 players to have a squad?

3) Agree with the points you have laid out. Especially as I'll always post up the auction in the daytime from work anyway so it's not going to be ideal for everyone. How would a blind auction work? People would have to PM me their bids?

4) This point probably won't apply now that I've actioned your point no.2 and will make changes for point no.3? In all honesty, I was going to say that you can bid on who you want as long as you don't overspend on your budget as there won't be any relaxing of the rules even if you have players out pending.

Cheers for the feedback and if others have opinions too then please say now so that we can get a firm set of rules sorted out before we really get this started
    The Alphabet Game #3

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Thanks mate, you're about the only person that has provided as much feedback as this after I first mooted the idea last week. It is the first time that I have attempted it so there is always going to be stuff that I haven't thought of and overlooked so appreciate the feedback:

1) Hadn't thought about this that far in. I was planning on putting up the same amount of players as a new auction 5 times a week (so one day a week as I won't be running this over the weekend). Would you say doing this for the next two weeks would give everybody enough time to see what is available and get a squad together by then? It'll also give those that have signed players time to haggle as well. It's also my intention to keep making the same players available in the auction so if you have missed out on a player and nobody else signed them, then you'll get the opportunity again. I may also continue this through the season but have yet to make a decision on it.

2) Totally agree and especially after ebfatz's comment too so I have now now assigned a value to each of the players that I have already put up for auction and will do the same for the forseeable future. Some players will have a bigger value than the 10m you start with but the challenge is there for you to raise that money yourself. I think it's possibly going to be easier to change the budget to 20m as well so that there is enough money in the pot to make sure you can buy at least 20 players to have a squad?

3) Agree with the points you have laid out. Especially as I'll always post up the auction in the daytime from work anyway so it's not going to be ideal for everyone. How would a blind auction work? People would have to PM me their bids?

4) This point probably won't apply now that I've actioned your point no.2 and will make changes for point no.3? In all honesty, I was going to say that you can bid on who you want as long as you don't overspend on your budget as there won't be any relaxing of the rules even if you have players out pending.

Cheers for the feedback and if others have opinions too then please say now so that we can get a firm set of rules sorted out before we really get this started
    Thanks for the response mate.

1) If I counted correctly, you have 38 players above, so around that x10 equals 380 players which seems enough for the moment with our current number of participants. Maybe drop the players that nobody bid on 2 or 3 days in a row though and refresh the pool therefore. Not sure if that's it or others will join in the next 2, 3 days. In all honesty, I'd wait that long before starting the auctions so you have a definite and solid foundation of participants and can amend rounds / player per rounds according to that. I know that you want to get started on a new exciting project straight away but you posted up the rules and team thread exactly a day ago, so starting today with all the transfers and auctions already seems a little bit premature tbh. Maybe advertise it again on a sidebar or in the SB for another day or two and start on Thursday or Friday or so. By that time, you have a better idea of who exactly is going to be in nd you don't risk potential late-comers being put off by the fact that they have already missed some of the players.

2) That part is up to you really. I think starting on a free is the better idea as the market will regulate itself with a given balance. You pay what a player is worth to you; regardless of predetermined valuations by others. Doesn't matter if that balance is 10, 20 or 50m then. Starting with pre-set values has the disadvantage that you can't foresee what budget is sufficient. For example, there are 10 rounds and a player like Eduaro already takes up 30% of your budget in the first round (if you go with 20m). Maybe you notice after a couple days that 20m isn't sufficient and you increase it by another ten mil and that isn't ideal. I'd start with 0, keep the balance at 10m or so and, as mentioned, let the players do the valuation. You know what budget you have, you know what the min. price is for every player; normal market rules apply.

You can obv still add the in-game value to the players as information though which will help the guys like Oz who can't access the db or the game every day to at least have a slight idea of how good or bad the player might be and make a decision based on that.

3) Yeah, people would PM you the list and you just post up the results afterwards. No complaints from anybody, everybody had a fair shot at a player. If you take part, ideally you upload your own list pw-protected prior to every round to please the paranoid who think you might be cheating although that's prolly not necessary. I didn't post up my Buy from CPU list first all the time either and there were never any complaints.

4) As you mentioned, it depends on what style you are going with for 1) and 2)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Patinoz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks Pat, I'll let all that info digest over the next couple of days then while we get things ironed out once and for all!
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    Wow, good talk guys, GOOD TALK !!!!!!!

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    Oz you are without a doubt my favourite poster haha!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesus For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Any chance of posting screenies up for each player Mark

vCash
    I think it's on hold for another day or two to give Mark some time thinking about the final details, Redders. And stop being a tigh arse. Do you actually think you gonna get even half of them on a free when the bidding is done

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Patinoz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Most of them are shit players Pat

vCash
    OK guys, moved all the conversation into the discussion thread now.

I've had a bit of a think and with regards to the set up for auctions, I'm going to go with the following:

1) 40 players will be put up for auction each day of the working week for two weeks so ultimately, there will be 400 players to bid on if necessary which divided by 16 managers, will be 25 players in each squad which I think works out well. This will the 'pre-season' phase for you all to build your squads and get some haggling done before the game gets underway. There won't be any screenshots for you to consult so it is all about using your instinct and spreading your resources well. This is also because I won't have a save game to provide until the squads are settled. Do not worry, if a player you sign turns out to be as good as Shola Ameobi (sorry, ebz), then the transfer window will remain open throughout the season for you to sell them!

2) Bids will be made via PM to me. Bear in mind that you have one chance to bid on them and I will check all bids first thing every morning (or is there a better time to do this for all concerned with timezones, etc?) and those with the highest bids will win. Confirmed bids will be announced in your team threads. Players who have not been bid on shall be rolled over to the next auction in addition to the new batch of 40 players.

3) I will also be a bit more selective in the players that I put up for auction, providing more well known players for you to have an idea already of their abilities. I will also cease providing an in-game valuation as bids will be made privately and their values are as Pat has said, what you are willing to pay.

4) You will all have 20M to start with instead of the 10M that I originally planned. With the aforementioned 25 players being available to you, that's an average spend of 800K per player and obviously, you can spend more on a player if you wish and have the sacrifice of having a small squad in the process.

What do you all think? Again, if anything doesn't seem right to you then do shout it out while we get the details fine tuned

Cheers
    Mark
    The Alphabet Game #3

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Can I have more than 25 players or is that the limit? And coinciding with that, is there a player per round limit. What I mean is that otherwise you might as well try and get everybody on a free every round, have a squad of 50 players and sell half of them first chance you get just to get funds.

I don't mind having some unknown players mixed in.

vCash
    No limit on the squad size, that was just working out the amount of players that could be divided from 400 between 16 managers

Of the 40 players available per day, would a maximum of 10 bids be enough?
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    More than enough IMO. Almost too much

Social Media Team
    vCash
    I'd say a maximum of five would be suitable.

That would allow you to get one keeper, one defender, one midfielder and an attacker with one spare as a 'wild card'.

vCash
    A maximum of 5 it is then . That works out nicely actually as 5 per day for the 10 rounds of auctions could potentially mean you have a full squad of 50 players.

I've also now PM'd all current VIP members so let's hope we fill up those other spots in the league as well.

I'll give this until Friday for people to read the above and chip in with their own thoughts and opinions while giving time for others to join as well.
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    Ok, so I'm totally new to this but it looks great*. I'm officially going to join!!

Hoping for "battle bravely against relegation" expectations though.

*great: aka complicated as sh*t

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BobMem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    All sounds good to me Marko

How will your bids be managed as you could see everyone else's bids and outbid them by 1 etc?

I'm on hols next week in a cold NYC but should be able to login most days to submit something

Is the 1st auction players still standing or a new batch of players? Any idea what day 1st auction will start from?

KUTGW!

vCash
    BobMem - Great to see you joining! Hopefully I'll make it as simple as possible!

I won't be taking part, Redders so no need to worry on that part.

It'll be a new batch of players. It should start as soon as all 16 places are filled up.Only three spots left now

EDIT: Another bloody holiday! Are you the secret millionaire?
    The Alphabet Game #3

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Most of them are shit players Pat
    How do you know what players are up for auction? Am i missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    OK guys, moved all the conversation into the discussion thread now.

I've had a bit of a think and with regards to the set up for auctions, I'm going to go with the following:

1) 40 players will be put up for auction each day of the working week for two weeks so ultimately, there will be 400 players to bid on if necessary which divided by 16 managers, will be 25 players in each squad which I think works out well. This will the 'pre-season' phase for you all to build your squads and get some haggling done before the game gets underway. There won't be any screenshots for you to consult so it is all about using your instinct and spreading your resources well. This is also because I won't have a save game to provide until the squads are settled. Do not worry, if a player you sign turns out to be as good as Shola Ameobi (sorry, ebz), then the transfer window will remain open throughout the season for you to sell them!

2) Bids will be made via PM to me. Bear in mind that you have one chance to bid on them and I will check all bids first thing every morning (or is there a better time to do this for all concerned with timezones, etc?) and those with the highest bids will win. Confirmed bids will be announced in your team threads. Players who have not been bid on shall be rolled over to the next auction in addition to the new batch of 40 players.

3) I will also be a bit more selective in the players that I put up for auction, providing more well known players for you to have an idea already of their abilities. I will also cease providing an in-game valuation as bids will be made privately and their values are as Pat has said, what you are willing to pay.

4) You will all have 20M to start with instead of the 10M that I originally planned. With the aforementioned 25 players being available to you, that's an average spend of 800K per player and obviously, you can spend more on a player if you wish and have the sacrifice of having a small squad in the process.

What do you all think? Again, if anything doesn't seem right to you then do shout it out while we get the details fine tuned

Cheers
    Mark
    Certainly sounds interesting mate I think all former DTL'ers would agree that the previous format had become a bit stale so i'm happy to go along with any and all new ideas!

vCash
    interesting Read, obviously i am totally new to this concept too, but i am really looking forward to the challenge, especially taking on some of the forum legends. Take it easy on me though, and please explain things in simple steps so i might have a chance
    Certainly looks like fun so lets see how it goes.
    Good luck everyone.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to pyromyst For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pyromyst View Post
    interesting Read, obviously i am totally new to this concept too, but i am really looking forward to the challenge, especially taking on some of the forum legends. Take it easy on me though, and please explain things in simple steps so i might have a chance
    Certainly looks like fun so lets see how it goes.
    Good luck everyone.
    The main rule you must remember is this - If Goofy makes an offer for one of your players then you must sell him. That's about it tbh, the rest is simple

Social Media Team
    vCash
    Goofy, there was a list of players yesterday but Mark has merged the thread in to this discussion after Pat brought up some excellent points. So the start of this is delayed somewhat whilst all the finite details are ironed out.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesus For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast