Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustrations with CM 01/02

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    Holy Trinity Member

vCash
    Fat Ronaldo lives in Engerland? Why in God's name would he do that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Forrest View Post
    Fat Ronaldo lives in Engerland? Why in God's name would he do that?
    He's at Uni studying Advertising! Not even making this shit up

vCash
    Ronaldo Nazario de Lima, commonly known as Ronaldo, retired from football last year after a glittering career and is now transferring to Britain – to become a student.

"Eighteen years have passed and I've hardly studied at all. I feel a great need to become a student again," he told Brazil’s Meio & Mensagem newspaper.

The ex-footballer, 36, will arrive in London next month to study advertising under the tutelage of Martin Sorrell, the founder of WPP, the world’s largest advertising company, according to his spokesperson. He will stay in the UK for two years or longer.
    http://www.thenationalstudent.com/Ne..._students.html

Haha, great! With a career like his I would have thought he retired as a billionaire and wouldn't have to worry about working ever again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecoxon View Post
    I have a similar annoyance but its that I see a lot of retired players with big reputations turn up at small clubs, often in countries that they have no links to! For example I've seen David Beckham scouting for HJK in Finland and, more bizarrely, Ronaldo (original) as a coach at Forest Green Rovers!
    I found Modrić, only coaching in Argentinian 3rd divison

vCash

Every shot against me is going in

Cant upload image because not valid file (although it is!), but it simply shows that I dominated the game, with 20 shots, they had 3 - and I lost 3 to 2 in a semi final.

It is not unusual for this pattern to occur once I have arranged a team to completely dominate possession and chances. It seems the computer engine does not interact back with chances and possession for the other team, but simply for shots to happen either straight after I have scored, or just before the break, at half time or full time; and inevitably scoring those shots.

I would then have to carve out another 8 or 9 chances before scoring 1, whereas the opposition has no such hindrances. When I look at the ratings of the player who has scored against me from a phenomenal long shot for instance, they are pathetic, awful looking players.

I have had this pattern on all non visual champ engines. My keepers always suck no matter who they are, no matter how expensive or how good rated they are.

What on earth is up with this bias? Is it a bug?

Another side note to this is, if I play in super speed mode - I more often lose than win, but if I play on medium speed it is as if the computer says, 'Ok at least you watching the game, you can win this one' - and hands me a better result although the teams and tactics are the same.

vCash

Is the match engine predictable?

They say this is the best match engine of the CM series, hence the lasting popularity of the game. However, from my point of view it all seems a bit predictable.

There seems to be recurring patterns, that I want to know if you people out there experience too or not.

First and foremost, there are an incredible amount of goals scored just before half time or full time, the computer seems to put a lot of emphasis in chance generation in these time spaces.

Second, when a team scores a goal, almost always the next possession is instantly with the opposing team, and more often than is realistic - a goal is pulled back straight away.

This ebb and flow is fairly predictable.

Thirdly, if you have a team that dominates chances and possession, you will always be cruelly treated in results to gameplay ratio. What I mean by this is, unless you are playing a team WAY below your level, the game may be a close fought one, even if you have had in ratio terms, 5 shots to their 1 on target. It wont be 5-1 to you, it will be 3-2, or a draw or more often than realistic - a loss.

vCash

vCash
    I think you are paranoid

vCash
    Maybe and maybe not, what i hate the most out of anything is a sending off!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sebcole View Post

Second, when a team scores a goal, almost always the next possession is instantly with the opposing team

Doesn't this happen in every football match ........

vCash

He is being paranoid XD. The engine is predictable? Sure is, when using overpowered tactics, the above you mentioned happens.

Try with less potent tactic or my AI tactics (no wib/wob) just replacing original ones. Say something again about being predictable .

vCash
    People are playing with Iodine and the like tiactics and are wondering why 1 shot 1 goal syndrome is here .

GAME BALANCING kicks in. It isn't as pronounced in CM series as it is in FM though (here results will have to factor: motivation, team morale, press conference, team talks and lastly tactic used - see how much to take into consideration?).

In CM it's tactic - check if user is doing too well for the team he plays in. What to do to balance AI chances out? Well, make him lose, no matter what, even if it feels like cheating .

vCash
    Hmm, All I do is play a shape, without editing much else (no wib wobs, way too much time to do that). I can't believe other well seasoned folks have not detected this certain pattern. I detected it in CM 97/98 aswell, but it was a little more silly back then, or perhaps I was just younger.

vCash
    What does the Iodine part mean pls?

vCash
    Isnt this much like real life too?

Take for instance the likes of Barcelona and their tiki taka style of play, They usually dominate possession. But due to the nature of the way they play they could succumb to a 1 shot 1 goal from their opponents and lose, the opposition keeper could have an amazing game and keep out everything that Barca try (Both of these instances happen in CM - 1 shot 1 goal and the Superkeeper).. Liverpool dominated v Chelsea and succumbed to them with a slip up from Gerrard and then a last min counter attack whilst trying to equalise, they dominated possession and shots yet couldnt breakthrough.

So what one may perceive is patterns in the game isnt really there, Infact its just randomness and inspired play from your opponents that cause you to believe there is such patterns. Take the game for what it is, you cant expect to steamroller every team around. Its not always the team that dominates possession, shots etc that wins.

vCash
    There is a possibility, of course, that the programme decided that your goalkeeper was going to have a really poor day i.e. was not going to perform to his current ability. If I were programming this (consistency) I would have a normal distribution curve i.e. the goalkeeper would most likely perform JUST underneath the expected ability, but there is a remote chance that they would perform absolutely terribly. As a matter of interest, has anyone run a couple of simulations where in the first the goalkeeper is kept on all the match but in the second is replaced when a goal is conceded?

With goals being scored quickly in reply or just before/ after a break, i suspect that determination might be an important characteristic. Determined players will keep trying right to the end 'rushes back to the half way line' etc.

As for the goalkeepers sucking, that may not be their problem. If you are playing a zonal defence then a player with good off-the-ball skills will get more clear-cut scoring opportunities and the goalie may not have a chance. Of course there is also the 1:1 attribue which you do not know. I would read the commentary and see if there is a pattern of conceding goals. (And always play man-marking!)

One thing I did notice in the latest version is that if the manager changes tactics after going to the match then the opposition almost always scores a goal in the first few minutes.

vCash
    I always seem to concede a goal when I get up to make a cup of tea. Sicne I changed to coffee I always keep a clean sheet!

vCash
    You should use a flask Foddy, can't be having any interruptions while champing

vCash
    Good point mate, might install a coffee machine right next to my desktop :coffee:

vCash
    This is how I lost the title on the last game of the season.

PREDICTABLE MATCH ENGINE!
    Last edited by churky; 10-05-14 at 12:27 PM.

Psmith Unattached
    Quote Originally Posted by churky View Post
    This is how I lost the title on the last game of the season.

PREDICTABLE MATCH ENGINE!
    Fantastic starting XI you got there!

vCash
    It's season 8 as you can see, it took a lot of time and money...I've been slowly building the team, won 4 La Liga titles and 3 CL titles in 8 years, but every season is a challenge. Barcelona and/or RM never let go!

vCash
    I've noticed the loan one too, had a few strikers listed for loan for over a year and not a single nibble. I've also noticed AI managers signing useless players, or buying fantastic players and then not supporting them with the end result being that they head off elsewhere, both of which have already been mentioned. The game seems to like throwing lots of injuries at me as well (though not to the same extent as Total Club Manager 2004...god I hated that game).

I have a few issues with the match commentary, actually. Like, occasionally you'll get a player just suddenly scoring without any build-up at all, and then there's this gem which happens about ten times a season:

"[Player] strikes the free kick through the wall..."
    "The shot deflects off the wall"

...well, okay then.

vCash

Bother you much.

Do people ever get bothered that CM is missing features that most up to.date FM games have?

For example a squad bigger than 50 players? Height and weight stats or team talks etc

Does these sorts of missing features spoil the enjoyment for anyone?

vCash
    no. never.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast