Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustrations with CM 01/02

vCash

Frustrations with CM 01/02

I'm loathe to criticise a game that has given me more joy than pretty much anything else since the age of 14 (don't tell my fiancée...) but there are a few bug bears I have with CM 01/02 that I wish the brothers Collyer would have thought about before releasing it...

* Brazilian players regenerating without nicknames, giving them all unwieldy, usually treble barrelled names

* Managers often returning to previous clubs when their replacements are sacked (its like a succession of Graham Taylors and Howard Kendalls)

* Not being able to punish players for being sent off outside of the league (I'm aware you can do this on the PC version but I'm currently limited to the Mac version and I'm sick of Taribo West's antics in the Champions League!)

I'm sure there are more, and apologies if this is a repeated thread, but is there anything else minor with CM 01/02 that, as much as you love the game, you would happily have changed?!

vCash
    * Not being able to get a decent job abroad, no matter how well you've done in the past.

I can't believe this bug wasn't detected in testing.

vCash
    There's a couple of these threads already

vCash
    A lot of the keepers you sign have too many bad games. For that reason, finding a good consistent GK is a must and IMO the most important position in the team.

vCash
    considering how the game engine works, and the sort of changes that could have been made without changing the fundamentals...

money
    clubs do not set themselves a budget, other than maximum wage
    clubs do not sell players to balance the books
    player/managers moving from major to minor clubs often get a contract based on their major club wages
    stadiums strink when club is labelled "bankrupt" but do not expand once club bought out
    when bankrupt you "cannot turn down reasonable offers" which is pretty much meaningless as this seems to be double the list price, it should be half. No actually, it SHOULD be insecure clubs have to sell at half price and bankrupt clubs automatically have all the players transfer listed

I spend every pre-season fixing those last two with Graeme Kelly's editor otherwise Serie A and La Liga end up with every club (other than those who can draw 60,000+) reduced to 5000 seater stadiums after about three seasons, and then permanently bankrupt ever after as they cannot sustain themselves on gate receipts, this destroys the transfer market globally

vCash

vCash
    I love this game. It's perfect exactly because it's not perfect.

Like following a real club, you have to have something to moan about. It wouldn't be the same without a good moan now and again. Like ilovesanmarino says, you can pretty much sort anything you want by the use of an editor, but why bother. Have a bit of a rant at the screen then carry on.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash
    Yeah!

Super-keepered and they have one shot and score. All part of being a real football fan/fake football manager!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Eejit View Post
    I love this game. It's perfect exactly because it's not perfect.

Like following a real club, you have to have something to moan about. It wouldn't be the same without a good moan now and again. Like ilovesanmarino says, you can pretty much sort anything you want by the use of an editor, but why bother. Have a bit of a rant at the screen then carry on.
    I completely agree, I wouldn't want it to be a complete walk in the park (hence why I never use super tactics!).

What I mean is small, usually insignificant problems that don't effect game play but maybe effect things like the realism and clubs staying solvent.

Then again the way modern football is going maybe clubs going out of business en masse is more realistic!

vCash
    6-0 first half, 6-0 full time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merkezekrem View Post
    agree to an extent, but doesn't that happen irl also? A team demolishes another in the 1st half no matter how much the manager asks them to keep the levels up it's only natural for them to conserve their energy.

vCash
    Many of my (minor) frustrations with the game are the same as others'.

1. Stadium shrinking (which is okay but should restore after take-over)
    2. Bankrupt side (AI) not being forced to sell players
    3. Foreign job glitch
    4. Determination/Pace/Work Rate of regens

That's about it really though, and none of these problems are big enough either alone or together to make me want to stop playing the game.
    Last edited by Sam; 18-02-14 at 11:05 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merkezekrem View Post
    If you change formation or team mentality and perhaps bring on some subs you can eek out more goals. Doesn't always work, though.

vCash
    Well, these aren't really frustrations but minor issues that could have gotten more attention:

- if a foreign player (who does not speak the native language spoken at the region of the club) joins a new club in a foreign MULTILINGUAL country, he will never learn the proper language.
    The editor shows that each nation has been attributed a "first language", and a possible second or third. In CM, the "first" always rules whereas this isn't true in real life.
    Example: Switzerland has a majority of German speakers indeed, but I can hardly imagine a Russian player would start to adapt to German language, having just signed with a team like Servette (French-speaking Switzerland) or Bellinzona (Italian-speaking Switzerland)

The same applies to Belgium ... foreigners will (or won't, if they already speak it) always learn French, never Dutch, or German in the case of football club Eupen.

A second thing that struck me is the fact that many "small" football nations, e.g. many African countries and the smaller South American countries such as Suriname hardly ever call up good players but seem to prefer playing with the darkened non-existing players used whenever not enough "real players" are around. It seems to me this doesn't go for small European football nations such as Liechtenstein who will call up whatever Liechtensteiner they can find. Does anybody have a clue why this is?

A second issue regarding call-ups is the fact that once some players leave their non-European native country and sign at a big European club they seem to be left out of the national team's squad for a considerable amount of time (regardless of whether they play a lot at their new club or not !), whereas when he stays with his small club he will always make it into the national team.
    A specific example is Landon Donovan ... and, although in a somewhat different situation as previously described because he's free in the beginning: Taribo West.

if Taribo West is given a contract at a big European team, the first matches he'll play will only be at the end of the 2002 season during the World Cup. If however he joins an unfashionable team, he gets called up for whatever game Nigeria has to play.

Strange ... !

vCash
    The second part is more to do with Competition Reputation more than anything. The qualifiers on the ODB are low ranked so the WC qualifiers seems to draw the local players more than the highest rated players. Hence African, Asian teams end up with their big guns at the finals and hardly ever in the qualifiers. Slightly flawed alright but changing the reps of the Qualifiers helps improve the 'problem'

vCash
    That enlightened me, as I had no clue why this was ... thanks !

vCash
    I'm still playing this classic game because I love it, I love the simplicity and accessibility, but yes there are niggles which you would expect with what is now such a dated game! My latest game has reminded me of a few things:

* 'Senior' players who are on loan at game start get sold on the cheap a lot because the engine reads it that the player is simply surplus to requirements - this has been covered a lot I know in the update threads... I suppose these types of loans weren't really done in 2001 but are very common now.

* Similarly, it is very difficult to get your young players out on loan because I think their reputations don't attract anyone, even the lower league clubs. I've had a lot of my talented youngsters at Man Utd listed for loan all the first season but no-one is interested. Yet when I set Ashley Young to the same, Ipswich came in straight away.

* Staying in the transfer market, another frustration is the way clubs by 'old' players e.g. established Premier League clubs buying over the hill lower league players for like £200k and start playing them!? Similarly, some of the bigger transfers are unrealistic e.g. Man City have just bought Ashley Westwood and Aaron Lennon despite both being nowhere near as good as what they already have. I'm sure some transfer activity could be made more realistic with more in-depth editing of player abilities and reps, but it's still an antiquated glitch in the system that clubs both big and small mainly buy older players rather than the world's best up and coming.

* Substitutions - AI managers sub their defenders just as much as their forward players, this is unrealistic, it's very rare you'd had have any sub appearances for centre backs for example.

After this game, 03/04 is my favourite because the transfer system started to become more realistic.. I remember having a tough but enjoyable spell as Blackburn in the Premier League on this game, fighting to stay established in the top flight and starting to use the loan system more how it's used today. Plus the 2D tactical pitch was a welcome addition as it gave you slightly more insight as to what was going on than the now seemingly 'random' text of this game! But yes, if I could change one thing about 01/02 it would be a more realistic transfer system whereby younger players were much more coveted and over the hill ones weren't plucked from obscurity because they were cheap. That, plus a more functional loan system, and this game would still be close to perfect.

vCash
    Agree completely on the loan situation - I always set my entire reserve team as available for loan and rarely do many of them venture out

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecoxon View Post
    Agree completely on the loan situation - I always set my entire reserve team as available for loan and rarely do many of them venture out
    Yes I think it serves better to accept that you have to use the loan system differently in this game; to be honest when at a big club your young players will probably improve more anyway on your own training systems with good facilities anyway. It's remembering to accept that the loan system is more a way to keep senior players match fit and on form if they can't get near your own first eleven. I used the Ashley Young at Man Utd example - he played 25 games for Ipswich on loan which didn't do him any harm and now he's back for the season run-in, if I do need him (unlikely) he's match fit at least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dw82 View Post
    Yes I think it serves better to accept that you have to use the loan system differently in this game; to be honest when at a big club your young players will probably improve more anyway on your own training systems with good facilities anyway. It's remembering to accept that the loan system is more a way to keep senior players match fit and on form if they can't get near your own first eleven. I used the Ashley Young at Man Utd example - he played 25 games for Ipswich on loan which didn't do him any harm and now he's back for the season run-in, if I do need him (unlikely) he's match fit at least.
    No. Match play at any level will improve players far more than any training ever will.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash
    Something not in the game but would be nice (influenced by Freddy Adu at Brighton) - players starting on trial contracts so you have the choice to keep them or release them. Very niche, perhaps could be achieved by contracts expiring two to four weeks into the season

vCash
    The frequency of "super keepers" is a bug bear of mine, I had 5 games out of the first 7 of the season where the opposition GK was man of the match, yeah, right...

vCash
    Another issue I'm having is the player Cristiano Doni ... despite not being set on a loan by the editor (never touched it), no matter what season you start in which league ... he always starts out on a loan to the Italian lower league club "Alzano". It's a mystery to me how a player can be set to "on a loan" right from the start if it isn't visible in the editor.

Does anyone of you have any idea how to undo this loan?

vCash
    delete it in the player_setup config file in the Data folder

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dw82 View Post
    I'll come clean and admit that I cheat when it comes to loaning players out.

I will add a manager and take over a lower league side, increase his reputation and then apply to loan all my main youngsters with potential. Lame but it's the only way to mimic real life.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast