Thread: Marking (Man, Zonal, None)

Marking (Man, Zonal, None)

I was wondering if someone of you guys know the answer to my question. So, if i put 2 of my players to man mark an opponent, and the one has man marking 10 and the other 5, the opponent will be man marked by a total of 15? And do we know if the A.I. uses man marking?

Does it work by adding the two????

What do you mean?

Marking (Man, Zonal, None)

Was wondering if there are any thoughts on when players should be marking, and more specifically whether they should be man-marking.

In the games standard tactics, centerbacks tend to man mark, whilst fullbacks and midfielders mark zonally. Attacking midfielders/wingers/strikers usually have no marking. Is this accepted as being the way to do it, or is it better to do other things?

I've tended to make my wingers mark zonally too, as I feel they should be tracking back and doing some defensive work. I'm wondering whether its more sensible for the centerbacks to mark zonally too and maybe this would do better at preventing goals from midfield - if they're prepared to go and tackle a midfielder running into the box rather than mark their man?

Always zonal marking in the midfield? I've wondered whether if you know the opposition usually plays with a super-dangerous AMC, it'd be a good idea to man-mark him with a DMC to try and shut down his influence on the game? Depends heavily on what formation your opponent is going though I guess.

Do you guys have any hard and fast rules when it comes to marking, or is it all dependant on what you want the formation to do?

I haven't done any testing, but my gut feel is that you need to look at the Possitioning and Marking attributes. If Marking is the highest, go for man-marking. If possitioning is higher go for Zonal. That said, you need to be constantly chopping and changing the formation depending on the players available. The other problem with Man marking is that the AI will move players around and change the formation so you find your central defender sudenly man marking a winger and there is a big hole in your defence. As a result, I tend to be lazy and put everyone to zonal.

There was talk of having your striker man mark their goalkeeper. I have never found that work and give away lots of offside.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

Personally it's something that I've never noticed to have a huge effect on things, although it's impossible to know how the game engine works.

With central defenders I have always instinctively used man-marking when playing against 2 strikers and zonal when playing against just 1. The argument for setting it based on which is higher out of the positioning and marking stats should make sense though, hypothetically.

Further up the pitch, when playing traditional 4-4-2 I would give my wingers zonal marking mostly as this tended to make the team more 'solid', but would free them up if chasing a game. The bottom line I think is that like most of the tactics/instructions on the game, it's very hard to analyse the effects from the basic nature of the commentary. But then, isn't this simplicity part of the charm that still has us playing? On the whole, unless you're getting into WIB/WOB tactics, for most of us the game is much more about buying players and building squads than tactics.

Oh and the striker man marking the goalkeep can work great, if you have a striker with good aerial ability. I had van Persie score over 50 goals in just 30-odd matches doing this (although it was a WIB-WOB tactic too), loads of the goals were simply him 'getting up above the goalkeeper', however there were many more disallowed for offside too, too many to count.

Man Marking is great for getting good ratings for DC's. No idea why but you can struggle and get decent ratings for DC's playing with Man Marking instructions and blitz a league with the DC's on Zonal instructions a get quiet low ratings (like discussed here). Guess it's got something to do with the amount of work a player does. Keepers that are busier tend to get higher ratings too, which in essence makes sense.

i only man-mark with my CB and always man-mark with them. i tend only to sign CB who have marking above 15.

I use manmarking against an opposition player with low bravery.
    if you are playing vs a 3 forward team, use zonal marking.
    Also, if opposition has an amc with good long shots, man mark him with your dmc

Quote Originally Posted by The Eejit View Post
    There was talk of having your striker man mark their goalkeeper. I have never found that work and give away lots of offside.
    It definitely did work in CM3 but I think even in that game the exploit was fixed in a patch and from 99/00 onwards it has never been possible to do it.

I use 4132pool and that tactic uses man-marking. I still keep that when I'm facing those strange 4-5-1 but I change it when I'm facing the anti 4-1-3-2 tactic that the computer uses cause the defenders end up marking the 2 AMC and the forward will score easily on us... but I change one of the lateral defenders to central to get a 3-on-3 situation, all with zone marking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Dalglish's Smile View Post
    It definitely did work in CM3 but I think even in that game the exploit was fixed in a patch and from 99/00 onwards it has never been possible to do it.
    Got pissed off recently at half time and man marked the opposition goalkeeper, who was on a 9 20 minutes in, with my 20 aggression striker specifically to injure him. Didn't work but we won 1-0. This proves nothing, I am aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by faz44 View Post
    Got pissed off recently at half time and man marked the opposition goalkeeper, who was on a 9 20 minutes in, with my 20 aggression striker specifically to injure him. Didn't work but we won 1-0. This proves nothing, I am aware of this.

Talking about rage

When I first got the game 12 years ago I was told of the having a striker mark the goal keeper exploit by a friend.

I would play 4-3-1-2 with arrows to AML/AMR for the two outer players in the midfield three. I'd use Attacking, Mixed, Normal, Pressing (Yes), Offside Trap (No) everything else default. This was except for having my two DC's and a SC on man marking.

The only striker I saw it work well on was Ruud Van Nistlerooy. I'd always win the league and Europe was generally guaranteed semi-finals. Goal wise I want to say 70-100 was about right. A cool thing about it was that Ruud could play every game bar injury because he never got tired.
    Last edited by Fitton; 17-11-14 at 11:19 PM.