Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [STORY] CMSG Ltd - PtP IV - Fallen Giants

Tournaments Won: 2

vCash
    writing as we speak. one more chapter is already up. rest will be up in an hour.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patinoz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Finished, might load up some stats tomorrow. Wish I had more time for this to develop a coherent story line.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patinoz For This Useful Post:

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash
    Superb write up Pat!

LOVED the playoffs part - and what a way to get promotion on penalties in the final!

"Super Leeds" are back in the big time!

Great effort in getting them there - seemed like they put you through the mill with such random results patterns and constant formation changes!

vCash
    Question - it says do NOT use downloaded tactics

Can I play the default 4-1-3-2?

I'm assuming a downloaded tactic is a cheat one?

Let me know as finishing pre-season friendlies now

Thanks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Superb write up Pat!

LOVED the playoffs part - and what a way to get promotion on penalties in the final!

"Super Leeds" are back in the big time!

Great effort in getting them there - seemed like they put you through the mill with such random results patterns and constant formation changes!

Craziest season I have ever played in CM. I still don't know why it was such a roller coaster. I win 9 in a row and then lose 8 in a row. Makes no sense, even for CM.

Thought I lost when Reading scored the 2:2 and the Derby game was nerv-wrecking as well.

I immensely enjoyed the save as I usually don't play CM anymore and this reminded me how great this game is.

You are fine with a default tactic as long as it's fine with AMC's restriction.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Patinoz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great write up Pat.

Sorry for the delay guys, been really busy since sending the save on to Red. Will defo have it up by tomorrow night.

Concerning tactics, I'm not too bothered what people use, each to their own. Default 4-1-3-2 is definitely ok though mate.
    Last edited by AMC; 24-05-14 at 05:54 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Am drunk in Benidorm at the mo but am 1/3 way through season and should have it all done and written up by beginning of next week

vCash
    It had been a while since I last managed a football team, never mind one at this level, but here I was in front of the press as the new manager of recently promoted and former Premiership champions, Leeds Utd. It was all a bit of a whirwind as I was bombared with questions from the gathered media, but having had time to familiarise myself with the club and my surroundings I elected to play a straight bat to the questions, not giving much away. What I did know was Leeds had come through an up and down season last year, before triumphing in the playoffs to return to the Premiership, and they also had decent players in Lassoga, McCormack and Ince, although defence looked like a concern, having conceeded more than a goal a game in the Championship, which could only get worse against the likes of Suarez, Aguero and van Persie. Shoring up the defence was even more difficult when I was told by the board I could only play one centre back, and so out went my usual back four defence, and instead I hoped fielding two defensive mids may help stop the onslaught on the loan centre back, finally settling on the following tactic.

Deciding on going with two defensive mids was one thing, but bringing in 3 or 4 quality ones was another, so it was time to hit the transfer market. It wasn't just defensive mids I was in the market though, as in total 13 players joined the club for a combined 19m, with 8 players leaving the club for 5.7m. First up with only two Goalkeepers on the books, one of whom Jack Butland was on loan from Stoke, it was an area I was keen to strengthen, and it was Norwich and England Goalkeeper John Ruddy who was signed from relegated Norwich for 800k who was to be my first signing. Paddy Kenny the only other keeper was unhappy with the signing and so he was sold to Preston for 300k, with veteran Thomas Sorensen (free) and youngster Jonathan Maxted (50k - Doncaster) providing back up to Ruddy. Onto defence and the full backs looked quie strong, but Left Back Stephen Warnock was looking for first team football so he left for West Ham in a 375k deal, with another Norwich player signed in Steven Whittaker as his replacement for 1.1m, and centre back Marius Zaliukas also left to join Charlton for 375k. Midfield saw the most change with Michael Brown, David Norris, Paul Green and Luke Murphy all moving on with Matias Fernandez, Francis Coquelin, Wilson Palacios, Mario Bolatti, Michu, Saido Berahino and Anthony Pilkington all joining the club. Finally up front, and it was 30 yr old Darren Bent who was signed for 2m to provide competition to Lasogga, with Noel Hunt also finding pastures new as he headed to Birmingham for 575k. With my squad assembled for the hard season ahead it was time to get to work with them and outline my style of play and my goals for the season. The board told me they wanted to fight against relegation, but I saw no reason why we couldn't aim for a top half finish, and possibly even sneak a European place. A good cup run would also be nice after the team unfortunately came up against Man City in both cups last year, losing on both occasions.

The league season started with an away trip to Southampton, and we got off to the perfect start winning 3-0 with debut goals for Michu and Darren Bent, and it actually took till the 5th league game of the season before we tasted defeat, losing at home to Man City 2-1 in a game we probably deserved a point from. Still we were holding our own in the league and it was only defeats against giants Liverpool (3-1 at home) and Arsenal (2-1 away) which didn't see us higher in the table after 10 games, although we were in the European places.

We continued to pick up the points and a run of four wins in our next five saw us threaten the top four, and we had also made steady progress in the League Cup, as the fringe members of the squad had impressed in overcoming Accrington, Southend and Norwich, but in a tough away game against Spurs in the quarter final we just couldn't find that winning goal, and despite recovering from 3-1 down to 3-3, we eventually lost 4-3 in extra time.

Defeat in the League Cup saw us also stumble slightly in the league, with just one win in our next 5 games, as we failed to triumph over Man Utd, Everton and Newcastle away, and Spurs at home, but despite this blip a win at home against Southampton on Boxing Day, saw us still on the fringes of the European places.

The Southampton result was actually the start of a very frutiful run of games for us, as we gathered 19 pts from a possible 21, and also beat Newcastle away 1-0 and Fulham 4-0 at home in the FA Cup, to set up a 5th round home tie against Spurs, and a chance for revenge. It was a terrible start as right back Kyle Walker gave the London side the lead after just 40 secs, but halfway through the first half centre back Martin Kelly levelled the scores with a towering header from a corner. Spurs took the lead again shortly after half time, with Paulinho getting his head to a free kick, but once again we equalised and it was former Spurs man Darren Bent with a real goal poachers goal. Unfortunately it weren't our day, as Spanish striker Roberto Soldado found a winner for Tottenham, and for the second year in a row, the same team would knock us out of both domestic cups.

We couldn't rest on our laurels though, our recent good league form saw us really climb the and we were up to the heady heights of 5th, and just one point behind of all teams Tottenham, perhaps we finally could get one over them! In fact over the next three games, we matched each others results, winning one, drawing one and losing one, to stay just a solitary point behind Spurs with just 8 games to go. Could we snatch Champions League football?

We had just one focus now and that was the league, while Spurs had the League Cup Final and and FA Cup Quarter Final to contest, which they both won, setting up a semi final against Man Utd. While teams were tiring coming into the final stretch of the league season, we instead started hitting our stride, as we began to score goals for fun, and it was mainly German striker Lasogga grabbing the headlines. 6 games, 6 wins and 21 goals scored saw us finally break the top 4, and despite losing our next game 4-2 away to of all teams Spurs and slipping to 4th, we re-gathered and back-to-back wins over Everton and Sunderland saw us finish in a quite unbelievable 2nd place!

What a season it had truly been, no one, me included thought Champions League football next season was a possibility, never mind finishing 2nd! It's hard to pick a player of the season, Lasogga got the goals, finishing with 25 in 24 for the season, but Bolatti (7.97) and Palacios (8.00) were collosuses in midfield, while young Swedish right back Krafth was a real star, and at just 20 should be a quality player for years to come, I'd be interested to see who gets the award. It's a shame I won't be around for next year, but I knew the deal when I joined, and so I wish the next manager all the best. Finally, the next restriction, and as it was money which led to Leeds demise IRL, I thought it was apt we made sure that didn't happen in game, so with that in mind, by the end of next season the wage bill needs to be reduced by 25%, it's currently at a nice round 240k per week, so by this time next year it needs to be down to at least 180k per week.

Best of luck Red!
    Last edited by AMC; 01-06-14 at 10:13 PM.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

Tournaments Won: 11

vCash

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Cheers mate, still can't believe how well we did, especially with playing just the one centre back!

vCash
    Waiting list updated.

vCash
    Nice work so far guys

AMC - you need to link the posts in the first post so peeps can find it later on, instead of scrolling through the pages

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Great stuff AMC - crazy end to the season with all those teams on 79 points!

And a hell of an effort with just 1 DC as well!

I'm back from holiday on Tuesday and hope to have the saved game passed over to someone - so I need to crack on playing whilst in airport etc

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Good season

I actually had a look at Bent at the start of my season and think I even submitted a bid. They wanted something around the 2m mark as well; too much money for me back then; especially since Lasogga was available for the same amount.

Butland was an absolute twat so glad to see you didn't buy him. Countless times we had like 2 or 3 shots on target and you could rely on him letting at least one in.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Patinoz For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Great season! Well played AMC.

Just seen how to take part... Resurrection
    Last edited by Cafcjgreen; 26-05-14 at 06:36 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Cafcjgreen For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Amazing season, and nice restriction too...

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kuy For This Useful Post:

AMC

Tournaments Won: 10

vCash
    @ Pat, great season for you in the end. Very inconsistent but got the result when it mattered. Loved that writeup in the context of a war

@ AMC, WTF! Did you stumble on a winning tactic?! Finishing 2nd is unbelievable especially with such an overhaul of the squad and no particular big names. I did like the sound of Lasogga joining when Pat signed him so glad he's settled in well for you there.

Just checked and I'm due to take charge in the 8th season - Hopefully Kraft is still with us by then

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'm potentially letting some big names go with the wage restriction

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Out of curiosity, which Leeds are we resurrecting? Leeds that got to CL semi's actually won fuck all really and if CL football is the goal we've already achieved it.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patinoz View Post
    Good season

I actually had a look at Bent at the start of my season and think I even submitted a bid. They wanted something around the 2m mark as well; too much money for me back then; especially since Lasogga was available for the same amount.

Butland was an absolute twat so glad to see you didn't buy him. Countless times we had like 2 or 3 shots on target and you could rely on him letting at least one in.
    Bent was first choice to begin with and actually started the season well, but he soon lost his place to Lasogga who really started scoring for fun, but Bent did manage a respectable 13 goals in 20(9) apps. Whether at 31 he has a future at the club is up to future managers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    @ Pat, great season for you in the end. Very inconsistent but got the result when it mattered. Loved that writeup in the context of a war

@ AMC, WTF! Did you stumble on a winning tactic?! Finishing 2nd is unbelievable especially with such an overhaul of the squad and no particular big names. I did like the sound of Lasogga joining when Pat signed him so glad he's settled in well for you there.

Just checked and I'm due to take charge in the 8th season - Hopefully Kraft is still with us by then
    What can I say, I'm a genius Who's to say we'll still be at Leeds then mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    I'm potentially letting some big names go with the wage restriction
    A manager's got to do what a manager's got to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    Out of curiosity, which Leeds are we resurrecting? Leeds that got to CL semi's actually won fuck all really and if CL football is the goal we've already achieved it.
    As outlined in the OP,

-In order to fulfil our goal of returning clubs to their former glories we need to ensure they win all the major domestic trophies (e.g. in England - Premiership, FA Cup and League Cup) as well as the major continental trophy (Champions League or Copa Libertadores).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cafcjgreen View Post
    Great season! Well played AMC.

Just seen how to take part... Resurrection
    Cheers mate, added to the list

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Cheers AMC, kinda got stuck on the original idea. Thats far more simple for sure. Gonna make things interesting for sure

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Lads - got half the season done and into new year.

I have a bitch of a day in work tomorrow but tomorrow evening will look to have this completed and passed onto next person as I'm golfing the next 3 days!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Did you manage to send the save on mate?

vCash
    I got it for some reason?

vCash
    Back from golf holiday

Got all day Sunday free for CM so will have this sent onto next person on Sunday and will also try and get write up done by Sunday night as well

Apologies for the delay!

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast