Page 1 of 63 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: ô Senhor Vitoria - a Story about the renaissance of Vitoria Setubal

ô Senhor Vitoria - a Story about the renaissance of Vitoria Setubal

« Ah… those were the good old days » thought Tito FORBS to himself as he was having his usual night walk along the docks bordering the Rio Sado.

Born and raised in this city directly south of Lisboa, Forbs remembered fondly of his childhood years in Setubal, during the 1940’s and 1950’s. They were times during which Portugal was still at the helm of the remnants of its empire with colonies throughout Africa (Angola, Mozambique, Guinea-Bissau, Cape Verde, São Tome é Principe…) and Asia (Timor, Goa...); the conservative regime made sure everyday life remained as it had always been, like an isolated island in a troubled XXth century Europe.

3rd son of a father who spent most his life as a soldier in the Portuguese army, Tito was raised with his 6 other brothers and sisters by their mother. Life was tough, strict discipline ruled in the Forbs family, but life was good. It was good because of football, which soon became the prime interest of the young Tito. In football also, those days seemed like a Portuguese Golden Age. The great Portuguese clubs, Os Tres Grandes (Benfica, Sporting CP and to a lesser extent, FC Porto), were feared all across Europe. Sport Lisboa e Benfica was crowned twice European champions (1961 & 1962) and had it not been for Real Madrid’s early domination, they would have been undisputed kings of the continent. The Seleção had a splendid run in the 1966 world cup and the planet admired the great Portuguese players of those days.

Behind the Tres Grandes there were plenty of other excellent clubs – Belenenses, Vitoria Guimarães, Académica Coimbra to name a few… but for Tito and all his friends, there was only one club they admired and supported : the VITORIA SETUBAL Futebol Clube. The 1960’s and early 1970’s were their glory years, with 2 Cups in the trophy cabinet, runners-up in 1971/72 and perhaps an even better season in 1973/74 which according to all in the city and beyond, Setubal should have won on merit and talent, even before the great Sporting CP of Hector Yazalde, and the great Benfica of Eusébio.

Most have now forgotten but Setubal was a regular contender at the time in European cups – City’s fair, Cup Winners’ Cup and UEFA Cup. They reached on four occasions the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup (in 1969, 1971, 1973 and 1974) - a record number of appearances for any Portuguese club outside the Tres Grandes at this stage of European competitions - and they also got the scalps of a few legends on the way such as:

- Fiorentina in 1969 (4-2 agg.) and in 1973 (2-2 agg.)
    - Liverpool FC in 1970 (3-3 agg.)
    - RSC Anderlecht in 1971 (4-3 agg.)
    - Inter Milan in 1973 (2-1 agg.)
    - Leeds United in 1974 (3-2 agg.)

The club had a reputation for never giving up, with a hard-grinding mentality which helped them regularly upset their giant Liboa neighbours, while also managing to bag in loads of goals with spectacular forwards. This is what shaped Tito Forbs idea of what a football team should be like and as a coach, that is what he tried to implement as he started from the very lowest conference level in Portugal. While all have praised throughout all those years his management skills and natural leadership, his conservatism and old-school tactics have gradually been considered outdated and he fell out of fashion towards the beginning of the previous decade. Forgotten by all.

Until the phone call he got that day of July 2001, when he realized that one man had not forgotten about his extraordinary coaching skills - and that man was the president of the Vitoria. The club had fallen off its former glory and had been relegated thrice to the Secunda Liga since 1992. It had just been promoted back, finishing 3rd of the Secunda in 2000/01, but the board realized the club needed to be shaken up and revitalized. Forbs was the man for the job, they now were convinced, and his objective would be to target a mid-table ranking and avoid at all costs another relegation.

But Tito Forbs had other plans. He had his revenge; he was never been given the opportunity to coach a Primera Liga side ever before and he took this opportunity as a gift from God. What he wanted was to bring back great football to his city of birth. He wanted to ressusciate ô Senhor Vitoria. He wanted Vitoria Setubal to be a name to be reckoned with again, at home and abroad. He wanted the city's kids to dream again, wearing with pride their white and green jerseys while going to school.

This is a story about the renaissance of a former great, the Vitoria Setubal Futebol Clube.

note to readers

To those who would read this story, please note that although I am a seasoned CM3 98/99 player (I started playing when the game came out... yes, I am that old), I have only gone through a mere 3 seasons in the Belgian League of CM 01/02 a few years ago. I have read a lot throughout this site before starting this game and writing this story, I have also got here and there a few names of players which are good to buy from the start - but other than that, I don't know the data base at all. I am playing ODB patched at v3.9.68.

I will for sure have a lot of questions along the way and count on you to help ! if there are things I don't do properly, or should know, or bugs which I might run into inadvertly, please do let me know.

I hope you will enjoy. The first post is a teaser, I will start posting my first in-game reports tomorrow and Sunday.

cheers

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

Good Luck!

Looking foward for it

Dermotron is offline Sir Mergements
    Director
    Manager
    VIP
    Captain

Very interesting story given you essentially haven't played the game

Os Guerreiros

Tito Forbs knew he had to make a difference. On the night before he was going to be officially presented to the club staff, the players and the press, he did not sleep. Alone in his house up a narrow Setubal street, he feverlishly drew tactical charts one after another. Defense and pressing were key to him, he wanted a team that put a lot of pressure on its opposition. He wanted as many clean sheets as possible. He wanted opposition to sweat their shirts off, for any goal they would score against his team - especially at home, in the venerable Estadio do Bonfim. Yet Stubal had always had great strikers, spectacular forwards who were always able to challenge the best defenses. He had to find the right balance and follow his own mind, ignoring the current trend in national and European football.

That was it, he got it. A line of rock solid defenders, 3 defensive hard-grinding midfielders and a trio of spectacular attackers / the center striker being a key pivotal point. He wanted a team of warriors. From day one he would only refer to his players as Os Guerreiros.

Mentality : Normal
    Passing : Direct (except for both DC's, the center DMC and the SC all set on Short)
    Tackling : Hard (except for both AM's and the SC, set on Normal)
    Off-Side Trap : Yes
    Counter-attacking : No
    Men Behind Ball : No

--------------
    Note : I had never found this tactical layout very efficient in CM3 98/99. Nor had I ever touched the WIB/WOB screens in that previous version of CM. I read carefully a lot of what you guys have posted here about tactics and wib/wobbing. I downloaded a few tactics pack and had a look. I wanted a more defensive orientated tactic but found none. The closest to mine was one called "wineandcoke" (except it had three MC's). I set it as my template and then played around with it, changing each one of the wib/wob screens (took me hours). Both my DL/DR are less centralized than on wineandcoke, although more centralized than on the non wib/won standard. Both my "external" DMC's are positioned closer to the line of defense especially on the wob screens. Both my AMC's are a little more spread out laterally, though not too much, than on wineandcoke. I have kept the same high-up positioned line of defense in the wob screens, and similar high-up the field position for my SC (both on wib and wob). I have no clue what impact this tactic and the wib/wob changes will have on the game, I just hope it will deliver what Tito has on his mind : once opposition comes into his defense, he expects them to be crushed between the 3 DMC's and the defensive line itself, and then those 7 defensive players must transform play quickly for the 3 attackers who will then do whatever needs to be done to score a goal. As simple as that.

nice!

Quote Originally Posted by ClayDatsusara View Post
    nice!
    +1

Curious to see what signings you make.

Nice intro mate!

Looking forward to read the next chapters of your quest at my beloved Vitória.

Curious choice of nickname. Rui Esteves.
    Probably the club's last pure "number 10". He was class back in the time he played at Setúbal. Unfortunately he kinda lost his mojo after signing with Benfica. Then had a discret spell at Birmigham and throttled to Asia to secure some cash at his bank account before retiring.

"Em Setúbal nasceu,
    Um clube pequenino,
    Que ficou bem na memória,
    E com os anos cresceu,
    Entranhado no destino,
    Com o nome de VITÓRIA,
    Agora já tem igual,
    Aos grandes de tradição,
    E o VITÓRIA faz das suas,
    Quer dentro de Portugal,
    Ou em qualquer outra nação,
    Perde uma não perde duas.
    Viva o VITÓRIA,
    Gritemos todos bem alto,
    É o VITÓRIA,
    Que põe tudo em sobressalto,
    Viva o VITÒRIA,
    Equipa de tradição,
    Viva o VITÓRIA,
    Clube do meu coração...

I remember the day Benfica signed Rui Esteves, he was in such great form at Setubal! The excitement went off when he started (not) playing for us, but till this day I still remember him fondly. Great name choice

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Russo View Post
    Looking forward to read the next chapters of your quest at my beloved Vitória.
    I was not expecting to have a true Vitoria fan on this board! how's the club been doing lately? seems to be glued forever to the 2nd half of the Liga... will the plans to renovate Bonfim finally go ahead or has it all been put on hold? I'd love to see them play one day...

Curious choice of nickname. Rui Esteves.
    Probably the club's last pure "number 10". He was class back in the time he played at Setúbal. Unfortunately he kinda lost his mojo after signing with Benfica. Then had a discret spell at Birmigham and throttled to Asia to secure some cash at his bank account before retiring.
    Oh it's very simple. As I mentioned I played a great deal of CM3 98/99 and in that version of the game he was by far my favourite player. You could sign him from the start quite easily from a Korean club, and he would litterally rock (dominate Liga Sagres) for 2 seasons provided you played him AMC with a lot of autonomy in his gameplay (as you said, a pure old school n°10).

I only discovered later on that he had in fact really been a classy and promising player in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by RuiEsteves View Post
    I was not expecting to have a true Vitoria fan on this board! how's the club been doing lately? seems to be glued forever to the 2nd half of the Liga... will the plans to renovate Bonfim finally go ahead or has it all been put on hold? I'd love to see them play one day...
    Yeah, i'm a rare bread by supporting exclusively such a "small" club when almost everyone else in this country supports the "big 3". In fact we produced an amazing 2nd half in the league and we have the chance to end in 6th place (we're waiting for Maritimo's result in the tomorrow's game) altough not enough no secure an european place. Nevertheless an amazing performance since we have such a low budget. The new stadium project has been put on hold due to economic divergences with the city counsil and having an instable board in the past 3 years didn't help much. We need to wait and see... I'm not that big of a fan of moving the stadium to a zone so far away from the city.

Oh it's very simple. As I mentioned I played a great deal of CM3 98/99 and in that version of the game he was by far my favourite player. You could sign him from the start quite easily from a Korean club, and he would litterally rock (dominate Liga Sagres) for 2 seasons provided you played him AMC with a lot of autonomy in his gameplay (as you said, a pure old school n°10).

I only discovered later on that he had in fact really been a classy and promising player in real life.
    I've played CM3 98/99 myself and signing Rui Esteves was inevitable too It was a kickass deal no doubt about it.

Good luck with the challenge and i'm pretty sure I will follow this closely

The Squad

On the morning of July 29th 2001, Tito Forbs was officially introduced to the squad in one of the club's boardrooms. They had no idea who he was but he knew each and every one of them, having never missed any game at Bonfim since his retirement from coaching around a decade ago.

There were a few valuable players amongst them, provided they were coached the right way. He knew exactly which ones. The meeting was brief. He told them that training the next day was at 8am sharp and that from now on, he would have zero tolerance for any delay, any time, anywhere. He told them that before they would start tomorrow, he would tell them who would be put on the transfer list - there will be lots of you. He would then explain to the the others what he was expecting from them for the start of the season. He said "from now I'm in charge. You're either with me, or against me. My expectations are to win. I want us to go into every game thinking we are going to win it."

The players looked at each other, bemused. Who was this mad man? they started making bets as too after how many weeks exactly he would be sacked...

He then had a brief meeting with the board members. They handed him a summary of the club's finances, looking at their feet.

- "That's all what's left in the coffers Tito. Sorry...."

He read:
    Treasury : £ 625,000
    Transfer Budget : £525,000

and then he started with his typical deep laughter... the venerable members thought he had lost it. The shock, maybe?

Tito carried on:
    - "I don't care about money. Money does no win football games. Passion, guts and talent do and those at least the former two, you don't buy - you generate". And he left the room.

He met with his staff members - coaches, scouts and physios. He knew most of them and they had some respect for the man he was and for his ways. The club and its players needed discipline and guidance, that much they knew. Tito Forbs respected these guys, they had been trying their best under the circumstances. He told them they were all welcome in his team. They sighed in relief. He took Pedro Figueiredo by the arm, the 34 year-old ex Vitoria defender who had just retired and was now a fresh new scout. "Pedro, meet me in my office in 5mn. I have a mission for you."

As Pedro entered Tito Forbs' office when he told him to enter, he was handed a large enveloppe.

- "Open it Pedro. This is your first mission. Inside you'll find a plane ticket, you're taking off in 2 hours."
    Pedro looked at the travel itinerary, and he immediately understood what this was about.
    - "coach, you're not serious are you? he's about to retire, he's old and unfit, some say he is depressed. There's nothing left in him".
    - "Pedro, I've never been more serious in my entire life. I want him back at the club and I will have him. You've played with him, he will listen to you. You'll find his contract in the enveloppe : £2,700/w, that's all I can afford. Get him to sign it and don't come back on these premises without him."
    Pedro Figueiredo rushed out. Livid.

--------
    Note to readers : find out the name of the player Pedro Figueiredo must sign !

I've got a few questions for the experts on here :

1/ no reserves team ! except the very big clubs, others seem to have no reserve team (unlike in CM3 98/99). Is there an option which can be activated somewhere? otherwise it means all youngsters will never get any game time, which won't do any good to their attributes...

2/ when looking at a club's squads (mine included) I have noticed some players have a star next to their name. What does it mean?

3/ does anyone know when the summer transfer window for Portugal Primeira Liga closes? what about other transfer windows in the year?

4/ Sporting CP, the *$§+, have been poaching 2 of my scouts, quadrupling their wages! all they need to do is offer them a contract and then I cannot do anything to prevent them from leaving. All I get in return is a compensation fee. That had never happened to me in CM3 98/99. Is this intended? what's the parade? attrition on coaching squad must be huge...

5/ does anyone know the in-game penalty, if any, for playing a M-C as a DM-C?

Forbs' self-imposed restrictions

Tito Forbs did not like modern football, it was no secret. He did not like the current trend of seeing fewer and fewer Portuguese nationals in the Primeira Liga squads - at this rate, the championship would be no better in this respect than the English Premier League! for one Mario Jardel there were truckloads of Brazilian prima donas who were travelling to the mother land for the paycheck without putting in the required efforts. He wanted none of this. He remembered fondly of the times when most of Portugal's 1st Division foreigners came from the African colonies. So he set to himself a few simple rules which he should follow at all times during his mandate :

- on each and every match sheet, Vitoria's starting XI should be comprised of a minimum of 7 Portuguese nationals (dual-citizenship accepted)
    - any non-Portuguese player on the match sheet should either bear (i) an African nationality (subsaharan Africa only, ie excluding all nations, going clockwise, from Mauritania to Egypt/Sudan), or (ii) Brazilian.
    - maximum 2 (non-Portuguese) Brazilians in any Vitoria starting XI
    - any player wanting out of the club, for whichever reason, should not be retained more than obviously necessary (ie a few months). Forbs wants only dedicated and motivated players to play for him.
    - effort should be made to field home-grown players, when possible
    - total squad members should not be too high (target: below 30 players)

The Goalkeepers

This was not too much of a worry for Tito. Setubal had 2 strong keepers and the concern was more on who would be in the starting XI.

Forbs went for the experience of the almost 36 years old international veteran Pedro Espinha, who had just been recruited by the club. He was solid and determined, whether he could deliver was soon to be discovered.

But Forbs also made it clear to the city boy, younger Marco Tabuas, that his time would come and he needed be patient. Aged only 24, Marco Tabuas already had solid skills and still probably, a margin of progression.

There was no hope in young Rodrigo, he was transfer listed.

Forbs knew in an out the lower leagues, he had coached in them for years and years, and had eyes and ears in almost every club. There was one young keeper he wanted, because he knew he had phenomenal potential :

He joined for a ridiculous £5,000 transfer fee + £2,000 sign-on fee, and a £170/w wage.

I just read Tito Forbs words in Mourinho's voice... Admit it, Jose Mourinho should have started his career coaching Vitoria and I think he will eventually do it. This story should be Mourinho's story if we was coaching Setubal back in the day.

About Marco Tabuas, I don't remember a more spectacular gk than him. He was capable of the best and the worst. I always wanted to see Vitoria's games highlits to see what whether he was MOM or he made a huge miscalculation coming out of the goal.

Good luck on your challenge. I'll try to answer your doubts:

1/ no reserves team ! except the very big clubs, others seem to have no reserve team (unlike in CM3 98/99). Is there an option which can be activated somewhere? otherwise it means all youngsters will never get any game time, which won't do any good to their attributes...
    There are no reserve teams in Portugal in CM0102, except for the B teams (Benfica, Porto, Sporting, Braga, Maritimo, Olhanense and Academica). Setubal had a B team irl but only between 2005 and 2007.

2/ when looking at a club's squads (mine included) I have noticed some players have a star next to their name. What does it mean?
    The three starred players are the stars of the team. It's a feature that was included in previous versions of the game, I think. They do not reflect the ability os the said players, but only their reputation within the team.

3/ does anyone know when the summer transfer window for Portugal Primeira Liga closes? what about other transfer windows in the year?
    I don«t know the exact dates, but I'd say the summer market window ends in the end of September and then it opens the 15th of December and closes one month after, but I may be wrong.

4/ Sporting CP, the *$§+, have been poaching 2 of my scouts, quadrupling their wages! all they need to do is offer them a contract and then I cannot do anything to prevent them from leaving. All I get in return is a compensation fee. That had never happened to me in CM3 98/99. Is this intended? what's the parade? attrition on coaching squad must be huge...
    Your scouts must have a big reputation and big teams will eventually try to sign those.

5/ does anyone know the in-game penalty, if any, for playing a M-C as a DM-C?
    I guess that you'll have to try them there, and they might perform well if they have the needed atts for that position. Notice that if in the editor a midfielder has high values (above 15) for DMC, MC and AMC, he will end up showing in the game just as MC, so your MC can have DMC hidden values and perform well as a DMC.

About your scout's target signing, would it be... Rui Esteves?

Yeah, i'm a rare bread by supporting exclusively such a "small" club when almost everyone else in this country supports the "big 3". In fact we produced an amazing 2nd half in the league and we have the chance to end in 6th place (we're waiting for Maritimo's result in the tomorrow's game) altough not enough no secure an european place. Nevertheless an amazing performance since we have such a low budget.
    I noticed it was better in the latter part of this year but had not realized 6th spot was in sight. Good! how have the crowd numbers been lately? also I was watching Benfica v Juve the other day and noticed only 1 (!!) Portuguese player starting the game. What do fans and people at large say about this? is it just accepted as a normal and inevitable trend, or is there resistance?

The new stadium project has been put on hold due to economic divergences with the city counsil and having an instable board in the past 3 years didn't help much. We need to wait and see... I'm not that big of a fan of moving the stadium to a zone so far away from the city.
    Yeah, neither am I. It might be more convenient traffic and parking wise, it just takes some soul away from the city. Bonfim seems great where it is, with the little church nearby. I thought the project was to renovate it, had misunderstood. I like for instance what they did in Funchal with Barreiros.

I just read Tito Forbs words in Mourinho's voice... Admit it, Jose Mourinho should have started his career coaching Vitoria and I think he will eventually do it. This story should be Mourinho's story if we was coaching Setubal back in the day.
    quite possibly.
    Oddly, I don't think José Mourinho has ever tried to coach Setubal back in his early days, when he was with Leiria... not sure why. But the issue is that José Mourinho is already in the game in CM01/02, coaching... FC Porto. And there is a surprise coming later on, because if you look at the tactics screenshot I have posted above in the thread, you might guess where will be Vitoria's first game of the season!! in any case Tito Forbs is a little different from Mourinho. First he is much older (in his 60's), and he is much more "traditional", trying to go back to Portugal's perceived golden years instead of wanting to modernize and revolutionize football like José Mourinho wanted to (and to some extent, has). I think of Forbs more like a Giovanni Trapattoni, just much less successfull in his career so far. I have got José's father (Felix) in my coaching squad though!

About Marco Tabuas, I don't remember a more spectacular gk than him. He was capable of the best and the worst. I always wanted to see Vitoria's games highlits to see what whether he was MOM or he made a huge miscalculation coming out of the goal.
    Interesting, I did not know. He had a great run at the club, is he Vitoria's most megendary keeper in a Hall of Fame? Also what can you tell me about Pedro Espinha? In any case both of those keepers are going to receive I would guess, a huge challenge from Hugo Pinheiro...

There are no reserve teams in Portugal in CM0102, except for the B teams (Benfica, Porto, Sporting, Braga, Maritimo, Olhanense and Academica). Setubal had a B team irl but only between 2005 and 2007.
    That's a bummer. I've starting recruiting young players and that means they won't get playing time - unless I loan them out which I usually never do. I might have to do it, don't like the idea of them sitting doing nothing and getting rusted.

The three starred players are the stars of the team. It's a feature that was included in previous versions of the game, I think. They do not reflect the ability os the said players, but only their reputation within the team.
    Ah thanks, this feature was not in CM3 98/99. I could not correlate it to international status or performance, now I get it.

I guess that you'll have to try them there, and they might perform well if they have the needed atts for that position. Notice that if in the editor a midfielder has high values (above 15) for DMC, MC and AMC, he will end up showing in the game just as MC, so your MC can have DMC hidden values and perform well as a DMC.
    Thanks, I have already started trying them out as DMC. I don't have much choice anyway.

About your scout's target signing, would it be... Rui Esteves?
    No. It was Ricardo Hugo and Pedro Martins. Rui Esteves is not in the game (well there's one very crap player who bears the same name, but he is 28 years old and that's not him).

I have shortlisted around 200 players for recruitement (and we're not talking Luis Figo or João Pinto) and there are only... 30 who are interested in joining Setubal. With £500K as transfer budget and a max wage of £4K/w allowed by the board, it might be tougher than expected to set-up a decent squad...

Lateral Defenders

Both positions - DL & DR - were a concern to Forbs. Although their primary role amongst Os Guerreiros was defensive (they in particular had to cover behind on Vitoria's corner kicks), they were also expected to deliver long crossings in the box and be threats on their respective isles.

Forbs did not need Pessoa (19) and sold him for £12k to Ribeira Brava.

On the right hand-side, Forbs could count on 29 yr old international Fernando Nélson, just arrived from FC Porto (and ex Aston Villa). At £3k/w he had the highest wage of the squad. No doubt he was going to be one of the starting XI's pillar, but Tito was unsure whether he would be able to step-up to the level he expected him to be at. (Note: in CM3 98/99, F Nélson is hands down the best Portuguese DR in the game - he has been downgraded somewhat in CM01/02...).

There was some cover options behind him: Paulo Filipe (22) and Nélson Veiga (23) both were decent, and youg Alfredo Almeida (18) was an interesting prospect for the future.

The left-hand side for more of a worry. Carlos (Martins), 28, had just arrived from Gil Vicente and he was going to have to be trusted as DL.

His sole back-up was Portuguese/French 26 yr-old Rui André, and he was under-par. Forbs knew he was on thin ice here.

He continued to scout for DL and DR, but candidates were very scarce (any good idea welcome!).

Central Defenders

Both DC's were key to Forbs. They had to be rock hard, the towers at the heart of the defense. Portugal had plenty of great players in that position (Jorge Costa, Fernando Couto...) but they were obviously completely out-of-reach. Here again the coach would have to rely on the players present in the squad, because of the scarcity of candidates willing to join. He tried as hard as he could to sign Taribo West who was on free transfer, but competition was too intense (in the end he went to... Dundee, on £4.5k/w).

- Carlos André (20) was transfered-out for £30k to Académica.
    - Alain Pilar (21) was transfer-listed.

There were 2 new recruits just made by the club as Tito joined and he would have to go with them, although he thought they might be limited for the position.

Young Brazilian Hugo (Alcântara), 22, was promising and solid. But new to Portuguese football, and the coach had doubts about his motivation.

Hugo Costa (27) on the other hand, was a better known figure in Portuguese football. He was a good solid player, though nothing exceptional.

Forbs was not satisfied about the lack of recruits and the lack of depth as that position. He compensated with cheap recruitement of promising young players from the lower leagues, planning for the future:

- Ricardo Carmo (20), £5k from Marinhense
    - Zé Pedro (20), £5K also from Marinhense
    - Estica (18), on free transfer

They were however much too young and inexperienced for Primeira Liga football. Maybe they would be loaned-out.

(any good idea of recruitement in DC is welcome! - bearing in mind Forbs' self-imposed restrictions)

The Captain

Tito Forbs needed a captain. A man of confidence he could rely on, no matter what may come ahead. A man who could influence others. That man was in the squad and the almost 32 yr-old was already a Setubal legend (and a one-time Portuguese international).
    http://www.zerozero.pt/jogador.php?id=392&search=1

They met; they got on well. He would lead Os Guerreiros for the 2001/02 season :

The only issue was that he was a Central Midfielder, when the coach only wanted DMC's. Hélio was willing to adapt. He would play as the left-sided DMC, with an offensive role in that he would have to transform play and provide amunition for the attacking trio.
    Last edited by RuiEsteves; 11-05-14 at 10:28 AM.

In exactly 3 weeks (on Sunday Aug. 19th) was the first official game of the season, the prospect of which was already paralyzing, it seemed, the whole club - from board members to players, staff included. Setubal was playing FC Porto in their new home of the Dragão; after their 5-year spell as Portuguese champions (1995-1999), the great northern club had had to settle with vice-champions in 2000 (behind Sporting CP) and 2001 (behind the surprise of Boavista FC, who had an amazing season and became the only club after Belenenses to be crowned champs outside of the Tres Grandes); they surely wanted to impress on their first game of the season and kick-off with a good start.

A visit at FC Porto would usually end-up in a demolishment for the visiting team. Furthermore they were coached by young and ambitious coach José Mourinho.

Tito Forbs had to do something to diffuse tension. If Pedro Figueiredo was successfull in his mission, there would be the surprise signing Forbs expected, which would help. But something else was needed. The flavour of ancient victory was needed.

The coach had an idea. The legend of Vitoria was partially built on those great European games the club had in those days (1960's, 1970's) with huge crowds in Bonfim. Maybe some of those clubs they played against would be willing to visit? Tito picked up his phone and soon got one friendly game settled.

In 1974 the Belgium Antwerp-based club Beerschot played Setubal in the first round of the UEFA Cup. Vitoria won both games (2-0, 2-0).

The club had almost disappeared and had, much like Vitoria, fallen off from its glory days. But they were now back in Belgium First Division under a new name, having merged with Germinal Ekeren. It was decided that Germinal Beerschot Antwerpen (GBA) would visit Bonfim for a friendly game on Wednesday August 8. As a tribute to both clubs former European glory days.

Tito Forbs had to do something to diffuse tension. If Pedro Figueiredo was successfull in his mission, there would be the surprise signing Forbs expected, which would help.

Page 1 of 63 1234511 ... LastLast