Page 228 of 228 FirstFirst ... 218224225226227228
Results 5,676 to 5,696 of 5696

Thread: English Premiership

vCash
    I think if Liverpool can get somewhere near what they did last season then they'll win it because I can't see City being so consistent 3 years running. Also I think they will focus more on the CL where as Liverpool will focus on the league.

Spurs 3rd maybe? unless Ndombele and other new signings get them challenging.

Arsenal might fancy themselves for 4th by virtue of Chelsea's transfer ban and Man Utd needing a lot of work.

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash
    Pep must be busting for PL but I bet there is a lot of pressure now to keep us (if we can do well again) and others at bay as well I reckon internally.

Bet Pep would love to prioritise CL though

vCash
    Personally from a fan's perspective - or a Zan perspective - I think the appointment of Lampard is one to build the team a little. The club has been setting themselves, since the transfer ban news, to set up a contingency plan. Beit with Sarri - implementing his style of football, supporting with his transfers, allowing for him to leave with compliments on his departure - or the hiring of Cech. The club has lost it's identity, and it seems like they have forgotten one of the few major areas that Roman wanted to highlight when he came in: youth.

When he came in, he invested around £350m to rebuilding the club's training facilities and youth set-up, aka Cobham. Since then the investment has been immensely successful with the youth divisions winning leagues, cups, and continental competitions (if i remember rightly), but was lost in the shuffle.

The idea with the youth was for at least one youth prospect to become a part of the first team a season, problem was that this wasn't a prospectful ambition. Beit it managers, beit wonderkids not developing correctly, beit wrong place at wrong time. The players were at a decent level - can name numerous players who came from youth that succeeded at decent levels - but couldn't push through to final hurdle.

Lampard has the best chance - with transfer ban - and the experience - being at the club so long - to build the gap, which is something he has consistently been highlighting. Another aspect he's been integrating is bringing in a coaching team that has a personal connection to the club. (Though the club has treated former players really well after retiring, offering them coaching roles etc) Morris - who excelled as a youth manager - being the assistant, Joe Edwards - former youth manager added to first team coaching, speculated roles for likes of Drogba and Makelele.

Lampard is more an ideal rather then just the manager/head coach. He is the example of fans have wanted for years, to see players like Loftus-Cheek, Abraham, James, Hudson-Odoi, Gallagher, Ampadu, to be implemented into the first team. It is hard to not think with the heart when it comes to Lampard - one of three players that were key to me becoming a fan - but in a way, there's logic in his appointment.

Cech's role is as key imo, though we still need a DoF.

vCash
    I hate to respond so abruptly to such a well-thought-out post, but Lampard is there because of the transfer ban - no manager of any repute would’ve taken on a club that sold Hazard and couldn’t buy anyone.
    Run out of vCash? You can request a recharge here!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riise View Post
    I hate to respond so abruptly to such a well-thought-out post, but Lampard is there because of the transfer ban - no manager of any repute would’ve taken on a club that sold Hazard and couldn’t buy anyone.
    That was done with a £54 million profit atm, which could increase to around more than £30 million on increase criteria.

Maybe so, but to let him have as much freedom as he is given - to length meeting with Roman etc to establish assurances - shows that the club shows some kind of fortune to him building the image. Within a week odd of his hiring, Hudson-Odoi looks set to sign a new deal and youth have been given more of a chance then they had since Carlo (second season) was in charge in terms of the preseason.

I am sure there was a number of options the club could have gone for, remember we still have finances - being run without the heavy investment of Roman for a few years - and would only be a single year without transfers. A single year assurance wouldn't harm the club over the future investment. It was a do or die decision, but i think there was a contingency plan in place.

Hell, nice to see a young English manager in the Premier League

vCash
    Also there is still the appeal we've made that could make it that it would be just this window we can't make signings.

vCash
    Well - 2 signings have come in (albeit pre-planned) and he has about 20 fellas coming back from loan

Still a quality team - a question about firepower maybe but still lots of very good players in that Chelsea squad

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Tournaments Won: 8

vCash
    Bruce takes over at boyhood Newcastle... Interesting appointment, the man hasn't managed in the top flight for a few years

Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Awful appointment.

Anyone who came in bar Mourinho maybe, would have been a step down, but this is a huge one.

He's there as a yes man to Ashley who has no intention of making us competitive, just waiting on the TV money coming in every year as a nice bonus. He is happy to finish 17th every year and take the profits.
    If you look at Bruce's record he has either been sacked or resigned when a job he thinks is better becomes available.
    He's done it again with Wednesday, he's only been with them about 6 months.

And now more rumours are swirling. One of a £6m signing in Joelinton, (who's had a bang average Bundesliga record for a forward by the way). Funny how he couldn't give Rafa even a percentage of that kind of money. In my opinion, just a made up rumour to get people to buy season tickets as so many have returned them in protest.

The other rumour which seems to have gone quiet is the takeover. Haven't believed since it was first mentioned that it would happen. It was used as an excse for why he couldn't give Rafa money and why we couldn't buy players.

You can sum up the predicament we are in at the moment with these stats that I've mentioned time and again.

Even a club on a transfer ban, Chelsea, have still spent more than us in this transfer window!!!

Since 2016, Bournemouth, a club, with a ground about the size of my front room have spent a net spend of £90m+.
    Newcastle's is -£33m!

£33m profit sounds good on paper but they have spent effectively £120m more in that time than a club with allegedly the 19th highest revenue in the world!!

Somethings not right there.
    And his name is Mike Ashley.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

Tournaments Won: 11

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Somethings not right there.
    And his name is Mike Ashley.
    I don't think he hides that fact. He also isn't going to sell for a loss for sentimental value or appeasing fans. Not saying it's right at all but it's a business now with sport on the side. It must be terribly frustrating. United have the same situation if you match up what the Glazers do versus Ashley, it's just that is a hell of a lot more money available to the Glazers and thus the club.

Bruce just seems an awful signing but you can see why it's done. No long term ties so it already appeals to an new owner not to have have a big pay day to get their own guy in.

vCash
    Bournemouth's ground the size of my front room

Indeed, Bruce been appointed as a yes man for sure, but with a simple remit of keeping the club in the top flight. It'll be interesting to see who he is allowed to bring in, especially given the loss of Perez and Rondon. Gayle to be given another chance perhaps? You never know, Joelinton might be a good fit.

vCash
    The thing with Ashley is even relegation doesn't bother him, it's happened twice and he still doesn't sell.
    I've seen suggestions of the fans boycotting this season but not sure that will change anything because ticket revenue just isn't significant to premier league clubs anymore.
    Part of me thinks Bruce might be able to do enough to just keep Newcastle up. The other part of me thinks the greengrocers in Newcastle might be out of cabbages before the end of the season

15. The Following User Says Thank You to the villan For This Useful Post:

Tournaments Won: 11

vCash
    Is Bruce any good as a manager? He never stays long enough anywhere to get his reputation really damaged or really enhanced but he doesn't seem as useless as Hughes or Pardew.

vCash
    £6m for Joelinton?

Don't you mean approx £36m?

Why should Ashley sell for what he perceives to be a "loss" or not at what he wants? He's a businessman so he'll sell for what he wants

Haven't exactly seen many serious takeover bids come in (to the public) either

No idea if Bruce is a good manager - seems one of them like a player that maybe his level is between PL and Championship

I thought Newcastle would be up there as a fan base (like Liverpool) to properly sort out some sort of meaningful boycott but fails to happen. Supporter groups not working together? Your problem is you always want to watch your team no matter what happens and if you have alredy paid for your ticket and it's what you do on a weekend etc

I would love Newcastle to be taken over by reasonable owners and then see if over the years they could get to a Top 6 level and see what could happen from there (sky could be the limit really)

But I can't see Ashley selling anytime soon sadly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    Is Bruce any good as a manager? He never stays long enough anywhere to get his reputation really damaged or really enhanced but he doesn't seem as useless as Hughes or Pardew.
    Very mediocre imo, he's "not really into tactics" in his own words. I always thought his teams were uninspiring and his time at Villa pretty much confirmed it for me. At a team which had huge resources for the level we were at he just played too conservatively most of the time, if we went a goal up it was fine because we were quite organised but go a goal down and it was usually game over. Have to question how well he's preparing a team when before one of our matches last season he was talking up the opposition's danger man with no clue whatsoever that he was suspended. We hired him because of the promotions on his CV but in hindsight I think that the championship had probably moved on and he hadn't. Whilst he also has a few relegations on his CV I suppose it is conceivable that he might be better suited scraping to 40 points in the PL with his more defensive style though?

Tournaments Won: 10

vCash
    To be fair, what good manager would take over Newcastle as long as Ashley is in charge? There would inevitably be a worse one after Rafa left.

Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    I did indeed mean £36m.

Redders - you are right. He won't sell. He says it is one price and then another. I doubt he has even come close to selling.

Amanda Staveley? Made Up story
    Peter Kenyon? Made up story.
    These Shiekhs? Made up.

None starter. Even if someone bid over his asking price he wouldn't sell. Asking price at the moment is around £350m I think.

Finishing 17th gets you approx £100m. So he'll make the asking price in three years, quicker when he sells players and doesn't replace them. AND he's be getting free advertising in and around St James' for 12 years for Sports Direct, again no money spent. He has spent next to nothing on upkeep for the ground or the training facility either.

And then he will just carry on doing the same year on year.

Promising a star signing but we "couldn't get it over the line"
    There was a take over but they "pulled out at the last minute, all the while these stories and planted just before a transfer window opens.
    He is just a modern day scrooge. He literally HATES spending any money!

vCash
    Just makes you think, what on Earth does he think he's going to do with all the money once he dies!

vCash
    One to please Coys...! Spurs looking to re-sign Llorente after offering him a 1 year deal after releasing him?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    One to please Coys...! Spurs looking to re-sign Llorente after offering him a 1 year deal after releasing him?!
    I think our hand has been forced on this one, we can't sign a "decent" young striker as they know they will always be playing second fiddle to Kane... after the Vincent Janssen debacle, Levy is clearly reluctant to splash the cash in that area, especially when the likes of Son, Lucas and Lamela can all play up top if needed. Llorente has proven he can do a job when needed so i'm not against it... just need to get him on a more realistic deal (heard he was on £100k p/w!).

Wolves after Cutrone at AC Milan... that would be a big statement for them. I really like Wolves, was very impressed whenever I saw them last year, I defo see them challenging for top 6 this year.

vCash
    Not a fan of Wolves so reluctantly admiring the way they're going about things in recent years.