Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [STORY] The World of Football Management - Chapter 4 - Man City Madness

vCash
    How quickly will that motor get you away from The Etihad when Elfsborg do score that 4th ?

Good so see your wing man back though. Manchester City land the Dream Team
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Shit, Lee DID escape from Info0's basement.

Let's hope your boys can be as 'flashy' as that car is

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Hell of a motor that!!

Well fit in fine with all the Chelsea Tractors and Bentley Continentals at the Etihad!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    B E A utiful.
    Discover more about members of the Champman0102 community, as they answer:
    Twenty Questions!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merkezekrem View Post
    Will you look at that awesome paint job!
    Haha, got to love a good paint job!

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Go faster stripes as well - will Hendo's city's strikers have enough zip in them though?!
    Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Eejit View Post
    How quickly will that motor get you away from The Etihad when Elfsborg do score that 4th ?

Good so see your wing man back though. Manchester City land the Dream Team
    Who says they'll score 4?!

Quote Originally Posted by ZanSnake View Post
    Shit, Lee DID escape from Info0's basement.

Let's hope your boys can be as 'flashy' as that car is
    It's not that Lee, it's the same guy that I've always used in my stories.

Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Hell of a motor that!!

Well fit in fine with all the Chelsea Tractors and Bentley Continentals at the Etihad!
    Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by BobMem View Post
    B E A utiful.
    Got to love it!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I got into it. He'd gone from helped me to win the treble at Stoke and now he's driving around in a poxy Citroen Saxo. What an idiot!

Anyway, I told Lee about the nightmare I'd been having when he woke me up. He just p****d himself laughing. Not exactly reassuring, is it?

In fact, he was acting like a complete tit since I opened the door. It's as though he's been watching too much Jeremy Kyle and Geordie Shore while he's been unemployed. Hopefully he changes his attitude once he's officially signed up as my assistant manager because he's actually a good coach and I needed his input.

I also filled him in about the restrictions that the Sheikh had laid upon me. He was no stranger to a challenge of course, having seen me build up a squad of free transfers at Alfreton Town as well as helping out when building a squad of under 21 players at Stoke. The conversation soon turned to tactics as we approached the City of Manchester Stadium. Like me, he agreed that it seemed best to go with the three centre-halves instead of full-backs and along with the two defensive midfielders, we could only hope that would mean it would be nice and compact in front of our goalkeeper.

Upon arriving at the stadium, I quickly filled in the official team sheet to hand over to the referee who was already doing warm up on the pitch. Fortunately, the players were also out there warming up. After the training session that I'd held yesterday, the players already knew where they'd be playing. But how much of one training session that they could take into a European game, I just don't know.

I had a peek at the Elfsborg squad and was quite surprised to see they had some well known players in their ranks. Stefan Ishizaki was the man who'd terrorised me in my dream and he had 10 caps for Sweden and Lasse Nilsen was on loan from Saint-Etienne. They even had some veterans with Teddy Lucic on 80 caps and Anders Svensson on 90 caps.

As it happened, we had a decent start with Lucic being booked after a series of challenge after just 16 minutes. The first player to draw blood was Jo who had a shot go off target. Strangely enough, Nedum Onuoha was the first to get one on target for us before Elfsborg had a shot of their own through former Portsmouth youngster James Keene. Even more strangely, my counterpart in the other dugout, decided to take Keene off on the half hour.

That seemed to knock the stuffing out of Elfsborg a little as we grew into the game. Then, the breakthrough:

A fantastic run by Felipe Caicedo which really impressed me. Perhaps he is tailor made for that role on the left after all? Merely minutes later, we had a second:

It put us in a great position and both Lee and I walked into a dressing room of beaming smiles. I congratulated them for their efforts thus far but urged them to keep the pressure on them. I revealed that it would be great to go into the second leg armed with such a major advantage that I could rest a few of the lads.

As it was, I made three changes there and then at half-time. Vincent Kompany was replaced by Dietmar Hamann, Jo was replaced by Danny Sturridge and Darius Vassell was replaced by Ched Evans. It was an opportunity to see what Hamann still has to offer at the age of 34 while I hoped the fresh legs and pace of Sturridge and Evans would help us to record more goals.

My words of wisdom still ringing in their ears, we soon had a third:

Shaun Wright-Phillips was having a stormer and could well be nailing that right side of the attack down! He was heavily involved in an all important fourth goal as well:

It was certainly an absolute riot and I think I have been pleasantly surprised by the performance of Shaun Wright-Phillips on that right flank. Obviously, I was disappointed that Tal Ben-Haim and Vincent Kompany were given an average rating but it has to be noted that they didn't really have a lot to do.

"Lads! That was 'effing brilliant!"
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    An easy win, did Michael Johnson make 135 passes?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cafcjgreen For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The one that stood out to me was Richard Dunne 94 out of 94.

135 is a hell of a lot of passes.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Someone said something about 4 goals? Great predicting

Nice start, Wright Philips finding form would be very useful.
    Twenty Questions!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Michael Johnson.

God that's a player i haven't heard about for so long

That god your nightmare wasn't a prediction, you completely dominated them
    Last edited by ZanSnake; 07-11-14 at 11:47 PM. Reason: To make sense :P

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great start - although it is Elfsborg...........

However, I found this formation a nightmare to play with so big kudos to you

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Wow to those passings! They must be giving it back and forth like Barça

24. The Following User Says Thank You to merkezekrem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great start and them passing stats are outstanding! Now sign Ronaldo

26. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    Like everyone else has said those passing stats are amazing. Great win to kick start your campaign and SWP had a stormer!
    Last edited by Jesus; 10-11-14 at 12:56 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesus For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Someone said something about 4 goals? Great predicting .
    I think that will be my good self

Some amazing stats in the passing. Hamman with 61 out of 62 and he only came on at half time.
    Still to have your best player come back too.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafcjgreen View Post
    An easy win, did Michael Johnson make 135 passes?
    Amazing stat, isn't it?!

Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    The one that stood out to me was Richard Dunne 94 out of 94.

135 is a hell of a lot of passes.
    Haha, that definitely doesn't look right. Needs an own goal to make it look normal!

Someone said something about 4 goals? Great predicting

Nice start, Wright Philips finding form would be very useful.
    My nightmare said 4 for Elfsborg!

Quote Originally Posted by ZanSnake View Post
    Michael Johnson.

God that's a player i haven't heard about for so long

That god your nightmare wasn't a prediction, you completely dominated them
    He was a promising player, wasn't he? Shame it never worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Great start - although it is Elfsborg...........

However, I found this formation a nightmare to play with so big kudos to you
    Agreed, early days yet!

Wow to those passings! They must be giving it back and forth like Barça
    That's me, master of the Tika Taka!

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Great start and them passing stats are outstanding! Now sign Ronaldo
    He'd do the job just standing there and passing as well. Not sure about running though!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    Like everyone else has said those passing stats are amazing. Great win to kick start your campaign and SWP had a stormed!
    Definitely surprised by Wright-Phillips. Good to know that he's done well there.

I think that will be my good self

Some amazing stats in the passing. Hamman with 61 out of 62 and he only came on at half time.
    Still to have your best player come back too.
    Great prediction! Yeah, you're right. I still have Bojinov to come back from injury!
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash

"How can we be expected to do our jobs if players are allowed to just f**k off whenever they want to?"

"It's an absolute joke."

"I've a good mind to complain to the governing bodies but it isn't going to do any good, is it?"

"I'd be giving it to them both barrels, mate."

"I'd f******g love to. But it ain't gonna achieve anything! Come on, let's just get on with it."

Lee and I were talking as we were sat on Flight 73B enroute to Boras in Sweden. We weren't just talking about Robinho or Elano who were still on international duty with Brazil, having lost in the Semi Final of the Copa America. They were now due to play in the 3rd Place Playoff against Bolivia on this very same day that we were playing against Elfsborg. Nope, we were now talking about Nedum Onuoha who had been called into the Nigeria Under 21's squad. It wasn't even their senior team, for f**k's sake. Naturally, I was livid. Particularly as Nedum was in fact my cover for the injured Micah Richards who wouldn't even be back for 6 months.

It left me with a bit of a dilemma. Negotiations were on-going to try and sign either Glen Johnson or Frank Fahrenhorst so we headed into the second leg with a choice of selecting either Pablo Zabaleta, Danny Mills, Shaleum Logan or Javan Vidal to tuck into the right side of defence or simply move Tal Ben-Haim to the right and pick Javier Garrido, Michael Ball or Ryan McGivern on the left.

I actually spent time on the flight making up my mind as to whether we were going to make mass changes to the team. Not everyone looked to be up and running just yet with a few players tired after the first leg. As a result, I seriously considered changing things around to give others a run out, especially as we had the advantage of a 4-0 lead.

By the time we landed in Sweden, I decided to do just that.

Kasper Schmeichel, Pablo Zabaleta, Javier Garrido, Glauber, Dietmar Hamann, Gelson Fernandes, Martin Petrov, Kelvin Etuhu, Ched Evans, Danny Sturridge and Stephen Ireland were all drafted into the team as a completely different line up faced Elfsborg. It was definitely a gamble given that Garrido and Zabaleta would be asked to sit inside rather than being natural full backs. I was also playing Petrov, Etuhu and Ireland further up the pitch than they'd normally be accustomed too. It was a gamble!

With 59 capped German Dietmar Hamann leading the team, I settled into the dugout and crossed my fingers in the hope that my selection paid off. I didn't even include those who were involved in the first leg on the bench. Instead, it was made up of Richard Martin, Sam Williamson, Danny Mills, Shaleum Logan, Michael Ball, Vladimir Weiss and Karl Moore. That's right, not a single striker on the bench and four defenders!

The early stages of the game gave no indication as to how things would go, particularly as the first shot of the game didn't arrive until the 18th minute and it was a header from Fredrik Berglund being tipped over the bar by Schmeichel who then watched the same player meet the corner with another header that crashed against the crossbar and went over. It wasn't the brightest of starts and not long after that, we were dealt a blow with Sturridge forced off with a thigh injury. Young midfielder Karl Moore came on to play on the left wide of the middle three.

It certainly wasn't a great performance as we went the entire 90 minutes without registering a shot on target. Elfsborg were clearly the better team and it was more a test for our defenders. Kasper Schmeichel and Gelson Fernandes both put in a colossal effort but it wasn't enough:

Elfsborg had managed to find one way through but thankfully, that 4 goal lead we had established in the first leg was good enough for us to progress into the Semi Final.

On the flight back, Lee and I had a discussion about the game. We both agreed that it'd been a valuable lesson today:

"I don't even remember the last time one of my teams didn't even have a shot in a match. That's some going!" I exclaimed.

"It weren't great. Reminded me of when Pulis was manager at Stoke!"

"Haha, come on, it wasn't THAT bad?!"

"Trust me. I ended up wondering if I should eat my own toe nails than watch that drivel. Petrov was w**k, Garrido was s**t and the rest were just f*****g gash!"

"That's harsh on Gelson and Kasper. Well, we've definitely learnt a lesson here..."

"What's that, that you're tactically inept?"

"F**k off. No mate, we know for definite now that these fringe players are bang average!"

"No s**t, Sherlock!"
    The Alphabet Game #3

33. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Qualified. End of. Nothing else matters.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Just go on and sell Sturridge to Liverpool already!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to merkezekrem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    You truly have some awful players in your team!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Cafcjgreen For This Useful Post:

Social Media Team
    vCash
    Petrov was never going to sparkle in that front five with hardly any service from midfield. Give him time and he will repay you!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesus For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Qualified. End of. Nothing else matters.
    True! I'm disappointed to have lost a game already but with the team I put out, I'm not too bothered. I did say that I wanted a big win in the first leg to give the players more time to recover and that's what I've been able to do.

Just go on and sell Sturridge to Liverpool already!
    Ha, not sure I want to do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Cafcjgreen View Post
    You truly have some awful players in your team!
    Indeed, let's hope I don't need to rest my first team players too often!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    Petrov was never going to sparkle in that front five with hardly any service from midfield. Give him time and he will repay you!
    I'm not convinced at all. No doubt he'll get another chance though.
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash

"Right then, doc! What's the crack here, then?"

"Mark, I'm not a doctor. I'm a physiotherapist."

"Are you saying that you don't wanna be called a doctor?"

"I'd be a fraud if I did!"

"Shut up! Tell me what's happening with Danny then?"

"It's just a thigh strain. He'll need a good rest for at least a week, maybe two."

Faz Page, who was once a physio at Bolton, had been hired by myself as part of my new physio team at Man City. Once we'd returned to Manchester from Sweden, we'd sent Danny Sturridge to have a scan with Page the following day. The news was a bit of a blow to me, particularly as Danny had looked decent when coming off the bench in the first leg.

It'd certainly rule him out of any future appearances in the Inter-Toto Cup. The draw was also being made on the same day and we'd been given a home tie again in the first leg. After facing a Swedish team, we were now taking on the Danes as FC Kobenhavn would come to town. With Niclas Jensen and Jesper Gronkjaer on the books, this would definitely be a stern test and I wanted to ensure my first team players would be ready for it.

Returning to my office, I checked my messages, hoping for some good news.

There wasn't any. I wasn't having much joy in the transfer market as my initial bids for all eight of my targets were being rejected. Of course, I kept upping my bids in the hope that we'd eventually be able to open contract talks but it just wasn't happening yet. I had to keep trying though!

I did pick up on one thing, after reading match reports from the previous night. Gabby Agbonlahor and Ashley Young had both played a part in Aston Villa's 3-2 win over Hertha BSC, helping them into the Inter-Toto Semi Final as well. Obviously, that'd mean that they wouldn't be able to play in Europe for us if we were to get into the UEFA Cup. It was something to think about, that's for sure. I also spotted that Mario Gomez had done the same for VfB Stuttgart, helping them beat Rijeka in the Inter-Toto Cup.

With an exasperated sigh, I wondered what to do. I could give up on those three and focus all my attentions on bringing in Roque Santa Cruz, Morten Gamst Pedersen and Joseba Etxeberria. That'd then leave me with either Glen Johnson or Frank Fahrenhorst as my 4th signing to boost the defence.

While I was pondering that, there was a knock on the door.

"Mr. Henderson?". They sure do learn quick around here.

"Come in."

It was Arsenal legend Bob Wilson, who I'd hired to join the coaching staff.

"Hello, Mr. Henderson. I've just let the 'keepers have a break and thought you'd like to know..."

"What now?!"

"Ah, nothing drastic!"

"F*****g hell, Bob! Spit it out!"

"Well..." he said, with a grin.

"... Robinho's back!"
    The Alphabet Game #3

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Social Media Team
    vCash
    So much of this season is pinned on Robinho, I'm not sure he has broad enough shoulders to take the pressure.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesus For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Kobenhavn in the Inter-toto should be beatable. Especially with Robinho on board. You decided to play him in the middle rather than our wide, right?

Good stuff, nice to see Bob Wilson there!
    Twenty Questions!

48. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMem For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast