Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Twenty Questions - Part 2 (Episode 94 - takaros7)

vCash
    Thanks guy, Mum is in Intesive Care atm so i am out of Uni as things carry on and so i kinda rushed the questions in a morning session.

Wato - just 'cause of his impact in the story section that is all

Mark - Yeah, think all the success Vialli had was because he was using a superb team that Gullit had made, always wondered what would have been if he had stayed and Bates wasn't such a dick. Respect him for saving the club when he did, but he was still a bigot!

merk - Spelling's amended thanks for pointing out the correct name

Cam - Think ste's goes to Liverpool or something?

That would be an excellent way to get attention for the website near Update releases, and what not Especially if it were to go onto YouTube.

derm - all i know, he had some skill on him during Deportivo's La Liga win, then again was from YouTube videos

Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Nice interview Zan. Interesting that you're doing performing arts (not much of a surprise considering your shoutbox rants ) and I wish you luck in the future in terms of making it on the career ladder.

Tournaments Won: 9

vCash

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    1. Where do you live? (Town and Country)
    Utrecht, the Netherlands.

2. What do you do for a living?
    Self-employed team coach.

3. What football teams do you support?
    Feyenoord, Rotterdam of course

4. Can you remember the first team that you managed in CM01/02? How did you get on?
    I managed Feyenoord many times in the 1990’s with an older CM-version but I never even made it to the CL Quarter Finals.
    I discovered CM01/02 (through this website!) late last year and then I also managed Feyenoord first and did not get very far. I was fired in my second season
    Then I tried it again as a story so that I would be forced to play more slowly. The story is now in the Hall of Fame. The advice I got from readers actually helped me learn a lot about the game!

5. Who is your all time favourite CM01/02 player (any update or patch) and favourite in real life?
    Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord) – the midfield Napoleon.

6. What do you consider to be your greatest achievement in CM01/02?
    That would be the Feyenoord story. I won’t say what happened because some of you might want to read the story without knowing the outcome. But it was a thriller until the very end. And it lasted five full seasons.

7. If you were an animal, which one would describe you best?
    A dolphin perhaps? They are known to help people.

8. On an average week, how much time do you invest in CM01/02?
    About 20-30 minutes a day to play 1-3 matches and then the additional story-writing time. Plus I look at the website most days, too.

9. What does your wife/girlfriend/partner think of you playing a 13 year old football game?
    She doesn’t like soccer, to put it mildly, but she doesn’t care that I do. It’s fine with her.

10. What other computer/console games do you play?
    EDIE – Empire DeLuxe Internet Edition. A fascinating game that’s been around since 1990 or so.

11. What annoys you most about CM01/02?
    The fact that it’s become too easy (using Wib/Wob tactics against default computer tactics) to be successful. Not using Wib/Wob seems odd as it’s a regular feature of the game. With Wib/Wob the default tactics don’t stand a chance.

12. What is your favourite moment in real life football?
    Feyenoord winning the UEFA Cup in May 2002.

13. If you were Sepp Blatter, what rule would you change to make football more interesting?
    Get rid of the offside rule! I never liked that rule or understood why it was needed.

14. How good a player were you in real life? What position did you play?
    Attacking midfielder. CM Rating: 20 or less.

15. What other sports do you follow?
    Darts, of course! And tennis.

16. If you won the Lottery (say £4,000,000) what is the first thing you would buy?
    Nothing. I’d give some of it to charity and put the rest on the bank. Although….

17. What 4 people from history would you most like to meet?
    Okay, I picked my four from the List of Top 100 Famous people
    Vincent van Gogh, Roger Federer, C.S.Lewis, the Apostle John (who wrote the book of Revelation)

18. What keeps you awake at night?
    Noise does.

19. What was the last song played on your iPod (both the one you were going so say to sound cool and the one it really was)?
    I have a Windows Phone, no iPod
    The last song I listened to on Spotify is Autumn Almanac (The Kinks):
    “I like my football on a Saturday
    Roast beef on Sundays, all right
    I go to Blackpool for my holidays
    Sit in the open sunlight”

20. Who would you like to be interviewed next?
    Jack_Rabbit

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

vCash
    Good work, Samsami.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Nice read, samsami! I keep meaning to go through your stories so that I'm fully up to date on them. I will certainly do that

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Nice read, samsami! I keep meaning to go through your stories so that I'm fully up to date on them. I will certainly do that
    Thanks. I post a short update every morning, as much as possible.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash
    Nice one samsami

Darts eh - who's your favourite? One of the Dutch boys I guess?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Nice one samsami

Darts eh - who's your favourite? One of the Dutch boys I guess?
    Yes, sir! Van the Man Senior

16. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Tournaments Won: 3

vCash
    Nice one samsami
    What/who do you coach, or are you actually a bus in disguise?!

PM to jack_rabbit to be sent soon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMem View Post
    Nice one samsami
    What/who do you coach, or are you actually a bus in disguise?!

PM to jack_rabbit to be sent soon
    Funny boy!
    I coach multi-cultural teams (that don't behave)
    Last edited by samsami; 12-05-15 at 12:46 PM.

Psmith Unattached
    Nice read Samsami! I've visited Utrecht and it was quite charming, I bought some
    really cool records in a second-hand record shop.

I've answered the questions already, but will give it a few more days for people to react to yours before posting.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Psmith For This Useful Post:

Psmith Unattached
    1. Where do you live? (Town and Country)
    I live in the fair city of Lisbon, Portugal.

2. What do you do for a living?
    After a brief stint as a free-lance nudist I have settled as a graphic designer.

3. What football teams do you support?

I support the glorious Benfica! (2014/15 back to back champions )

4. Can you remember the first team that you managed in CM01/02? How did you get on?
    The first team I managed in cm01/02 was Benfica. The squad had a decent enough starting eleven with: Simão Sabrosa (would become a club legend), Nuno Gomes, Zahovic, Miguel, Caneira, Fernando Meira, Tiago, and...

Pedro Mantorras: (and now a parenthesis) this boy – he was only 19 at the time - was chosen by the Gods to become one of the greats. After watching Pedro play his first couple of matches for Benfica, the President of the club famously said we would not accept offers lower than 100 million euros for the African prodigy. Mantorras’ devastating pace, strength and agility reminded the old timers that sat every Saturday at the Stadium of Light of another demi-god: Eusébio da Silva Ferreira. But more than his miraculous athleticism, it was Pedro’s perpetual smile and spontaneous and child-like love for playing football that moved the whole nation. And so his life grew away from the mundane into the realm of mythology. For two seasons did Pedro fill our red and white hearts with joy and hope. Alas, it was not to be, for the gods are capricious. A knee injury in 2003 virtually ended his career. All we had left were memories of a promise, nothing more, like the fleeting kisses of a couple falling in love on the eve of war. A promise of love and nothing more (and yet, what is love if not a beautiful promise?). He struggled, oh! How he struggled. And we struggled with him. The club kept renewing his contract every year, hoping – hoping for what? There was no hope.

Until, on one particularly hot Summer afternoon in 2004 the club signed Giovanni Trapattoni as manager of the club. 11 years had passed since Benfica last won the league. The longest ever period without silverware in the club’s 100 year life. Mantorras was still a part of the club’s squad. Playing pre-season friendlies and a couple of minutes in a cup match here and there. It was a thrilling season, Benfica was up there battling it out with Sporting until the very end. There was no squad depth whatsoever. The team was made up of Simão and ten other semi-competent lads. Trappa knew this. Trappa knew we couldn’t win it. Unless... unless he could summon a ghost from long ago. Unless he could dig deep into the heart of that eager man (for even though Mantorras’ childish smile will never fade, he was now a man) that every day showed up for training with that forlorn look that we see in children’s faces all over the world when observing the older boys playing on the street; that look that says, that yells, “let me play too!” Trappa knew Pedro couldn’t do it anymore. His knee wouldn’t take it. And yet, the team was exhausted, depleted by a long season of non-existing squad rotation. What if he played for 5 minutes? We could hold out for 85 minutes and then Mantorras could enter. “What difference would he make anyway, in just 5 minutes?” he heard a cynical staff member say; to which Trappa, ever the old-fox, replied “I prefer 5 minutes of genius than 90 minutes of mediocrity.” And so it was. 5 goals he scored in the last 5 minutes of the last 5 matches of the Portuguese League. We won the championship, the gods smiled at us again, and Mantorras, even if for only a fleeting moment in time, was no longer just a promise of a memory.

(end of parenthesis).

The save lasted for 10 or 15 seasons (can’t remember how many exactly). I won 9 Portuguese leagues in a row, but only one Champions League. I still remember the names of some of the regens that won that final: Vasco Fonseca (our valiant striker) Simões (the dazzling winger) Pedro Ferreira (the touch of class in attacking midfield) Manuel Cunha (the team’s captain; a perfect defensive midfielder and a first team player since he erupted from the youth squad aged 16). This is one of the ever-lasting charms of this game, when enough seasons go by that the universe of the game becomes something only you know. These massive stories unfold and it is as if you’re reading a book. You see these players appear, grow, become champions, legends, or sometimes not living up to expectations and wander in mediocre sides for the rest of their careers. A unique narrative unfolding before your eyes.

5. Who is your all time favourite CM01/02 player (any update or patch) and favourite in real life?
    My favourite was Simões. Simões was Luis Figo’s regenerated player in the aforementioned save. It was uncanny that his name was “Simões” because
    António Simões was the name of a Benfica legendary winger from the 19*60s!

At the moment my favourite real life player is Pirlo.

6. What do you consider to be your greatest achievement in CM01/02?
    Taking Vibonese Calcio to the Serie A. But the most thrilling was winning that Champions League with Benfica.

7. If you were an animal, which one would describe you best?
    A flying squirrel. I jest... in fact, I have no idea.

8. On an average week, how much time do you invest in CM01/02?
    Not much, I don’t have enough time to play these days... sometimes when I have some spare time I play for a season or two on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

9. What does your wife/girlfriend/partner think of you playing a 13 year old football game?
    I don’t think she can understand what’s the appeal of staring at some spreadsheets of data and flashing text... she doesn’t mind though, keeps me off the streets.

10. What other computer/console games do you play?
    I’m not much of a gamer. When I was younger I played Pro Evolution Soccer a lot.

11. What annoys you most about CM01/02?
    In the game itself nothing to be honest. The only thing that ‘annoys’ me is that the competitions’ structure are not up to date (Champions League mostly), and the foreign players restriction rule makes the Portuguese league unplayable (unless you assign a second nationality to every foreign player).
    I have a Mac so the fantastic tools developed by this community don’t work...

12. What is your favourite moment in real life football?
    Luisão scoring the winner against Sporting to win us the title in 2005. It was so unexpected that I couldn’t bear watching the final minutes of the match. I was in a small restaurant and when Luisão scored I just went outside, sat on the floor and cried. The tension was unbearable, it was the
    longest 10 minutes I have ever experienced in my life.

13. If you were Sepp Blatter, what rule would you change to make football more interesting?
    I think when a player needs to get medical assistance it should be mandatory that he stays out for 5 minutes. To get rid of time-wasting wankers.

14. How good a player were you in real life? What position did you play?
    I played Futsal (5-a-side) in my university’s team as well as for a local club. I played as a “pivot” (what we might call a target-man striker in 11v11 football).
    I was alright, decent technique and all that. I had the annoying (for my managers) habit of doing “sombreros” (you know, pass the ball over the opponent’s head)
    all the time. I just couldn’t help myself. I still play when I can, just for fun, but I’m much slower these days.

15. What other sports do you follow?
    Futsal and hockey (with roller-skates).

16. If you won the Lottery (say £4,000,000) what is the first thing you would buy?
    A decent left-back for Benfica. Or even a half-decent one. Anyone but Eliseu really. The player would have but to meet two criteria: (1) do you know what a ball is? And (2) are you Eliseu? If you answer affirmatively to the first and negatively to the second I would sign you.

17. What 4 people from history would you most like to meet?
    Oscar Wilde above all.

Then, Fernando Pessoa (Portugal’s greatest poet and renowned alcoholic) Churchill (I could just sit and hear him speak) and Shakespeare (I’m fascinated by the bard, how could a poor english boy know so much about the human condition and soul?).

Ps: From recent history, I would have loved to meet David Foster Wallace and Christopher Hitchens. Why is it that so many of the best have to die young?

18. What keeps you awake at night?
    Occasionally, the perpetual pain of being alive.

19. What was the last song played on your iPod (both the one you were going to say to sound cool and the one it really was)?
    I have no idea what you mean by “iPod”. I suspect it is some kind of portable music-player device. Therefore, I must inform you that, since I’m not a philistine,
    I listen to my music preferably on my record player or, if it must be, my CD player. Having said that, taking a glance at my hi-fi apparatus
    I see Neil Young’s “Harvest” CD and The Band’s “The Last Waltz” record, so I guess those were the last couple of albums I listened to.

20. Who would you like to be interviewed next?
    ClayDatsusara
    Last edited by Psmith; 19-05-15 at 11:07 AM.

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Psmith For This Useful Post:

Tournaments Won: 11

vCash
    That Mantorras insight is great

Psmith Unattached
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    That Mantorras insight is great
    Thanks Dermo!

Mantorras was such a hero for Benfica fans. And a genuine good lad!

vCash
    That's a great interview. Deep and insightful, the personality really comes through. Great interview

A free-lance nudist

Great information about Pedro Mantorras, I must admit I have never heard of him but what a story. It's always sad when injury ruins a career.

I like the idea of 5 minutes treatment off the pitch.

vCash
    Great reading!

Yes, Mantorras was incredible in the 04/05 league title! And let's not forget what Alvin said: "Don't die without seeing Mantorras!"

And that Luisão goal... I was in the stadium and I remember what I felt that day... Simão Sabrosa has missed 2 times in front of the goal (two easy goals) and Sporting was only looking to defend. When Luisão scored I was waiting for the usual stuff to happen (you know what) but it was goal. I cried. Super happy. And I was nervous until Beto made a mistake and saw the red card. At that time, I finally celebrated a possible win! Amazing game!

And why is the portuguese league unplayable? You only have to watch out for non-european players (this from someone that has a save file with 15 seasons with Benfica and one with more than 50 seasons with Barreirense (and for what is worth it, the only trophy that hasn't Barreirense as the most times winner is the Portuguese Cup... Benfica is still at the top with 28 trophies!)

And c'mon... give Eliseu a break. He won us more points this season than he made us loose. He will be better with time.

Hey, I still play PES6 when I go to my parents house... Now I'm playing with Barça but, of course, I have a Master League where I was scoring more than 100 goals per season with Eusébio

Psmith Unattached
    Thanks Mark,

By the way, credit where credit is due, I nicked the "free-lance nudist" bit from an old "A bit of Fry and Laurie" sketch (that show was brilliant).

Hey Troza,

I had forgotten about that Alvim comment! In those days everybody had an opinion on Mantorras. Do you recall the famous slogan (these days it would be a hashtag campaign or something) "Let Mantorras play!" because Mantorras was being ruthless and violently man-marked out of the game every week hehehe. I remember a particularly gruesome match with Boavista, a team entirely made up of blood-thirsty central defenders and defensive midfielders.

I had the exact same reaction to Luisão's goal, my first instinct was to think that the referee was going to call a foul. I went from incredulity to ecstasy to unbearable anxiety in 10 seconds...

The Portuguese League is unplayable in the data update (every team has way more than 4 or 5 foreign players in their squad...), that sounds like an impressive career you got going with the all-mighty Barreirense, you should write a story about it for the forum ; )

I will give Eliseu a break when he retires. I agree that he will become better with time in the sense that, as time goes by, he will be closer to retiring. I think the fact that we won this season's league with Eliseu in the starting eleven is a testament of Jorge Jesus' supernatural powers as a manager.
    Last edited by Psmith; 19-05-15 at 04:31 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Psmith For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The problem with my Barreirense game is that I don't have some seasons in the end and it is hard for me to recall some of the best moments (I started the game in 09 after I finished my course, I had a break between 2011 and 2014 I guess...). But I'll try to do that when I retire the manager. I'm trying to reach the 50 league titles... and the top club in portuguese cup (I have 48 league titles, 30 champion's league, 26 Portuguese Cup)... Although I have to imagine that my coach started with 20 years old

Oh, the data update... Well... I play with the original data.

And Luisão... Well... I didn't expect a foul cause it was none... I expected something because that's what usually happened.

And Eliseu... c'mon... he only costed us 1 point vs Paços de Ferreira... but his goals were responsible for what? 6 or 9 points, no? We are the team that defends the best in the portuguese league and the best attack... I guess that's just too much hate for him. He will become better cause JJ defensive scheme isn't easy for anyone. That's why I'm not rooting for them to resign Maxi

And I remember the "Deixem jogar o Mantorras!". That medical staff of Benfica made a horrible work but he just took beating after beating. He was amazing!

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

vCash
    Excellent interview!!

Mistook Mantorras for Manucho for a split second but after I read your description it all came back to me.

Tournaments Won: 3

vCash
    Superb stuff Jack_Rabbit, that's a great read!

I have to admit I didn't know the story of Mantorros before, but you've educated me and told the story well!

PM on the way to ClayDatsusara

vCash
    That was a nice one. Got all into that story. Good man!

vCash
    Yep, that was nice read indeed . Finally catching up on this net .

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash
    Great stuff Jack_Rabbit - Q4 is a beautiful read

Q16 -

Love your passion for Benfica

Psmith Unattached
    Glad you enjoyed reading it lads!

This is a marvellous thread, I've been trying to catch up and read the previous interviews. Some great stuff in there!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Psmith For This Useful Post: