Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Twenty Questions - Part 2 (Episode 94 - takaros7)

Tournaments Won: 3

vCash

Twenty Questions (Episode 39 - JayFlo)

As nominated by Liam for his efforts in the 'Stories' section (http://www.champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7114), JayFlo answers the Twenty Questions:

1. Where do you live? (Town and Country)

South Croydon, was Southampton till January 2015, England.

2. What do you do for a living?

Work for The MOD

3. What football teams do you support?

Southampton, England, Barcelona, Spain - in that order; I'm half Spanish. Saints are above and beyond the rest by far.

4. Can you remember the first team that you managed in CM01/02? How did you get on?

Saints and terribly. I was 7/8 years old and used to fare awfully so would play my dad's saved games. He played a 3412 with arrows forward on the LM and RM. He introduced me to the game and had players like Kallstrom, A.Farnerud, Harbuzi, Ibrahimovic and Hesselink. He had this striker called Brutil Hose who was great, as well as a, possibly, French player called Onisimo who I could never find again. Dad was obsessed with Scandinavians.

5. Who is your all time favourite CM01/02 player (any update or patch) and favourite in real life?

I played a game with Coventry about 12-18 months ago (they started in League One) and I set a wage structure of only paying players 1k a week max. I signed a player called Bakenga who I think was Norwegian. He was a beast for me so it'll have to be him. On ODB it was always Alexander Farnerud. In real life it'll always be Rickie Lambert. Legend.

6. What do you consider to be your greatest achievement in CM01/02?

Up until the beginning of this calendar year I had always used WIBWOB tactics (mainly my own but sometimes others, but not 2121121s etc). I stopped using them and haven't looked back! So my greatest achievement was the first non WIBWOB challenge I set myself which was to only sign Jewish/Israeli players. I started with Scunthorpe and managed to win the CL at my third attempt. I'm hoping my current story can be a greater achievement.

7. If you were an animal, which one would describe you best?

A pigeon; I shit a lot.

8. On an average week, how much time do you invest in CM01/02?

When I've got a game going I'll play three hours a night easily, but then I'll go a month or two not playing at all.

9. What does your wife/girlfriend/partner think of you playing a 13 year old football game?

My girlfriend, Helen, has been with me for three years now. She actually takes an interest in some of my games and likes to play guess the player in the background picture as I use the mega packs that users generously put together. Luckily, I play CM quite socially, IE with the laptop in the living room with family, not tucked away in the dark.

10. What other computer/console games do you play?

Laptop - CM0102; PS4 - FIFA. I'd always played PES but switched to FIFA so I could play online with friends. I'll probably switch back to PES now PS charges for online.

11. What annoys you most about CM01/02?

Struggling to get network games with one of my friends to work unless we are in the same room and even then it seems to crash. Probably my own inability rather than the game, though.

12. What is your favourite moment in real life football?

Saints beating Coventry to return to the PL and Rickie Lambert being carried off the pitch by the fans. Chaplow scoring against United in the FA Cup when we were in League One - that's me running past Fergie in the dugout. Getting called a C-Bomb by Paul Dickov when I was ballboying for Oldham's technical area at St Mary's when we were League One.

13. If you were the president of FIFA, what rule would you change to make football more interesting?

Do more to help players from outside Europe/FIFA's top 70 ranked international teams get work permits to play in the best leagues. There's untapped talent out there.

14. How good a player were you in real life? What position did you play?

I refuse to answer this question in the past tense - I'm only 21! Highest ability level I've played at is that when I was 16 I had the option to sign a youth contract with Eastleigh but I would've had to leave college, which I wasn't prepared to do. I promptly broke my collarbone for the second time on the right side and within a year I broke my arm in five places so it was probably a good shout. I managed a men's side from 16 until January. We won back to back league titles and then finished 2nd in the top division and won the cup. I'm currently without a club. I play on the wings.

15. What other sports do you follow?

I don't. I was a PE teacher for two years, and will always play anything socially but don't follow anything.

16. If you won the Lottery (say £4,000,000) what is the first thing you would buy?

My mum a house and her own business.

17. What 4 people from history would you most like to meet?

Jesus of Nazareth, Muhammed, Hitler, Moses.

18. What keeps you awake at night?

Night shifts, CM0102, a childlike fear of death.

19. What was the last song played on your iPod (both the one you were going so say to sound cool and the one it really was)?

Fetty Wap - Trap Queen and Marc Anthony Vivir mi Vida

20. Who would you like to be interviewed next?

Samsami, redknapp69, kuy - whoever from those who haven't already been done. Failing that the next alphabetical username after mine.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BobMem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Haha, a pigeon!

Also that's a hell of a tea party!

Redders and Samsami already had a go, so PM on the way to kuy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Southampton fan, half Spanish, are you JayFlo or Jay Rodriguez?!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to colml For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Haha. Good read that . Keep them coming lads .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to info0 For This Useful Post:

Tournaments Won: 13

vCash
    Love the pigeon bit!

Like you, I spent time in Southampton, though my glory years of watching them if I couldn't get to City games were when Keegan, Mills, Shannon etc etc were there. Hell of a place to watch football, the old Dell.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

vCash
    So happy JayRod is back! I loved living in Southampton; I even quit uni I was missing it so much but ended up leaving for s career!

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash
    Q7 -

Sounds like the missus could be playing CM soon if she takes an interest!

Q12 - got a video clip of you running past Fergie? - sounds class!

Managed a club already IRL - want to do that more or keep playing?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Pigeon

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Topofthekop For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Q7 -

Sounds like the missus could be playing CM soon if she takes an interest!

Q12 - got a video clip of you running past Fergie? - sounds class!

Managed a club already IRL - want to do that more or keep playing?
    There is a video clip of it somewhere! I think maybe Facebook. I'll have a look!

I loved managing but as I started young it used to annoy me when some players just didn't respect me because of my age. It wore off over the seasons as we were successful. I was an unqualified primary school teacher courtesy of my coaching badges and until the career change I intended to keep going through the badges. Through links at Saints I had the option to coach in the community for them full time but would've been a pay cut and didn't want to take the hit. Year later I found myself in London with a new career anyway.

I may keep turning out for the club I managed when I'm in Southampton as I have a season ticket at St Mary's but my shift pattern doesn't allow me to commit to managing, that's for sure.

Helen says: I'm not going to [start playing CM]

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JayFlo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks to JayFlo for the nomination, here goes!

Petersfield, a small town Hampshire (England). Keeping the Hampshire theme going on this thread!

Just finishing up a maths PhD, so will be unemployed in October... Anyone want to give me a job?

I support Spurs, but I also have a soft spot for my dad's team, Bristol Rovers.

4. Can you remember the first team that you managed in CM01/02? How did you get on?

Not sure, I probably had a go with Spurs that I didn't get into and quit a month or so into the season. I remember good early saves with Millwall and Leeds too, and of course Roma!

It was CM99/00 that got me into the CM series though and I remember that one well. My first team there was Inter Milan and I still have a soft spot for that save - I didn't know anything about the game so I was always discovering new things, like losing Roberto Baggio on a Bosman at the end of the first season because I didn't know about renewing contracts!

5. Who is your all time favourite CM01/02 player (any update or patch) and favourite in real life?

On the recent DBs Gotze and Mitrovic have been stalwarts for me in a couple of different saves, always play consistently well and never moan or refuse to sign contracts, etc. Joe Dolan turned into a world-class centre back on an ODB Millwall save, and I 'discovered' a lot of the CM legends (Cherno Samba, Julius Aghahowa, etc) but then went off them when I realised that everyone else knew about them already!

Real life would have to be Darren Anderton, my hero at Spurs growing up. Currently I'm a bit in love with Andres Iniesta.

I had a save with Bristol Rovers on the 2010 DB where I won the Champions League using a standard 4-4-2 (I've never got into wib-wobbing), the best bit of that though was signing Samuel Eto'o when we were still in the First Division!

On the 2014 DB I decided to see if I could break the Real/Barca dominance of La Liga so I took over Cordoba (the La Liga team with the lowest Reputation and Training ratings) - got Champions League football in my fifth season, won the league in my eighth. Currently in my tenth season, on course to win the league again but crashed out of the CL at the second group stage.

It's not very original but probably a cat - I'm happy to just laze around all day, sleeping, eating and not doing much else!

Maybe about five hours? Depends on what saves I've got going and how much I am into them. I usually have five or six in progress and I switch between them every couple of months. Currently I have the Cordoba and Bristol Rovers saves I mentioned above, the all-English Spurs squad from my story (yes, I still have the save - the story will return when I start playing the save again!) plus a different Spurs save on the latest DB.

9. What does your wife/girlfriend/partner think of you playing a 13 year old football game?

I'm not sure she knows! I doubt she'd be impressed though, she's not into computer games or sport at all.

Pretty much nothing, my old PS2 is still at my parents' house - I used to play the Pro Evo, Tekken and Final Fantasy series on that. I still have the Civilization, Total War and Command & Conquer games for my PC but I don't play them that often any more. The Simpsons Tapped Out phone game on my breaks at work is about it these days!

The bugs - particularly the one where the World Club Championship final never gets played so that tournament stops being held. Also regens: like most of us I would like to see them coming back without low Determination/Pace/Acceleration, etc, but as well as that I'd like to see them be more randomised somehow - at the moment you know that there will always be a brilliant Portuguese F LC out there somewhere, but wouldn't it be great if actually the next generation's superstar player was a Dutch centre-back, say, or a Japanese keeper?

I've been thinking about this one and I'm not actually sure! I feel like I should say England 5 Germany 1, or Spurs winning the League Cup in 2008, but for some reason neither of those are very strong memories. It might actually be Tottenham's 2010-2011 Champions League campaign, particularly Bale tearing Inter Milan apart in the group stage. Either that, or just moments of sheer brilliance - Romario against Man Utd or Bergkamp against Newcastle. Those are the times that football really gets me excited.

13. If you were the president of FIFA, what rule would you change to make football more interesting?

I'd put in place a cap on squad size, something like only 30 players over the age of 16 - it would stop big teams buying up all the promising young players and then leaving them to rot in the reserves, there would be a knock-on effect of closing the gap in ability between the big teams and the rest, and the financial situation would improve too. I'd also make a rule that every professional club has to spend a certain percentage of its income on grass-roots football: not just their academies, but for everyone - schools, local parks etc.

In terms of the rules of the game, I think you'd get a lot of nice football played if the ball had to stay below head height, like five-a-side.

Pretty terrible! I can play a decent pass but that's pretty much it. The highest level I ever played was for my college's second team - I captained the third team for a season but that was only because I could be relied upon to turn up each week!

Back at school all the good players wanted to play up front so I ended up in defence and pretty much just stayed there all my life, usually at left-back because I'm left-footed. It was only recently that I thought about it and realised that I'm actually better as an attacker - you need to actually understand the game to play in defence but up front you can just run around like mad

I keep an eye on most things - rugby union, tennis, athletics, boxing - but cricket is the other big one for me. It's hard to follow if you don't have Sky though - channel 5 does Test match highlights but that's it. I would love a Match Of The Day-style programme rounding up the week's domestic cricket.

16. If you won the Lottery (say £4,000,000) what is the first thing you would buy?

Probably half of it on a really nice house somewhere and the rest on a bunch of other properties - live on the rental income and never have to worry about work again...

Aristotle, Leonardo Da Vinci, Imhotep (Egyptian engineer and all-round genius), and someone from an old Central/South American civilisation like the Aztecs - a real mixture of times and places.

Not much. Mainly if I'm grumpy about something that happened during the day and I replay it over and over in my head!

19. What was the last song played on your iPod (both the one you were going so say to sound cool and the one it really was)?

Truth: Motorcycle by The Rumble Strips. I'm not a big fan, it came up on shuffle.

Pretend: Let's go with Snow Brigade by Mew - probably my favourite song. Not a hugely obscure band but they definitely deserve to be better known.

Let's keep the Spurs theme going and have Coys

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kuy For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Two god reads there, I did a maths degree myself and my mate went on and did a PhD (as well a post doc in Brazil), I don't know how you both did it!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    For some reason I thought you were European and not from UK!

Darren Anderton!

Spurs CL campaign was brilliant - fair play - taxi for Maicon!

Good luck on the PhD - hell of an effort!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

kuy

vCash
    I probably dislike Spurs more than any of et team at the moment! Poch broke my heart when he left. Much prefer the Spurs of samsami

Hampshire is a CM0102 hotspot! Currently sat on a train to Southampton for the game against Everton

25. The Following User Says Thank You to JayFlo For This Useful Post:

kuy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Two god reads there, I did a maths degree myself and my mate went on and did a PhD (as well a post doc in Brazil), I don't know how you both did it!
    For some reason I thought you were European and not from UK!

Darren Anderton!

Spurs CL campaign was brilliant - fair play - taxi for Maicon!

Good luck on the PhD - hell of an effort!
    Cheers lads!

I think I picked Swedish as a nationality a couple of times on things like the old CM Vipers and klosec12's Amazing Race story just for a laugh, maybe that's where you got it from?

vCash

Twenty Questions (Episode 40 - kuy)

Great read kuy, a couple of things stood out for me:

a PHD in Maths?! Does that mean you need to change your username to Dr kuy?

I played lots of the C&C series. C&C RAII Yuri's Revenge was the only other game which got played on our house network at uni (bar Champ0102 ofc). We had a league table based on results and everything. I've never managed to track down the disk since moving house 3 years ago, despite occasionally getting pangs to play it.

Also, I like your ideas about football and cap on players. Interesting stuff.

PM on the way to Coys

edit: Coys has a full inbox, if anyone sees him in the shoutbox give him a nudge to delete some PMs please!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMem For This Useful Post:

kuy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMem View Post
    Great read kuy, a couple of things stood out for me:

a PHD in Maths?! Does that mean you need to change your username to Dr kuy?

I played lots of the C&C series. C&C RAII Yuri's Revenge was the only other game which got played on our house network at uni (bar Champ0102 ofc). We had a league table based on results and everything. I've never managed to track down the disk since moving house 3 years ago, despite occasionally getting pangs to play it.
    Cheers! Yeah, maybe once I actually finish I'll change my username

C&C3 (Tiberian Sun, plus the various add-ons) was the one I played most. Not sure I ever completed the missions, I used to like building up a massive base in the battle mode! Luckily I managed to keep hold of the discs for that and a couple of other games, I've got them all ripped as ISOs and backed up now.

It's actually thanks to this website that I learned about virtual drives, mounting ISOs etc, so that's another reason I love CM0102!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to kuy For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I remember playing C&C RA2 as a kid & never being able to do the final Allied mission to save my life. Probably wasn't aggressive enough, since I was very defensive as a kid as I generally played Total Annihilation and would just build the Big Berthas and watch them destroy everything :L

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Jokerjake7 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I've definitely got a TA disc kicking around somewhere!

I played Tiberium Sun with my 'home' mates after uni. I never bought that though, just used the crack
    Was it that one with the 3-legged Walker things? They kicked ass.

vCash
    Catching up:

Quote Originally Posted by BobMem View Post
    as well as a, possibly, French player called Onisimo who I could never find again.
    JayFlo, he might be Onésimo? I think it's the second time he gots mentioned here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On%C3%A9simo_S%C3%A1nchez, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP0aHCsYzE4

Quote Originally Posted by kuy

I'd put in place a cap on squad size, something like only 30 players over the age of 16 - it would stop big teams buying up all the promising young players and then leaving them to rot in the reserves, there would be a knock-on effect of closing the gap in ability between the big teams and the rest, and the financial situation would improve too. I'd also make a rule that every professional club has to spend a certain percentage of its income on grass-roots football: not just their academies, but for everyone - schools, local parks etc.
    I really really like this idea. It's a shame seeing how big teams buy young players and then don't give them any oportunities...

35. The Following User Says Thank You to cliff For This Useful Post:

kuy

Tournaments Won: 9

vCash
    Just caught up with these interviews!

JayFlo

I shit a lot

I didn't know that PS were now charging for online play, is that true?!

kuy

Good to know you still have that Spurs save!

Simpsons Tapped Out When I met my gf, she got me into that game and I was addicted for a good few months. Not touched it since though even though I still have it installed on my iPad and get the upgrades. I think I wanted to start afresh but couldn't work out how to without creating a new account.

Squad cap is a good idea. I think the trouble with that is that it'd have a knock-on effect on the number of unemployed players who can't be signed up and would have to give up the game just to earn money.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

kuy

Tournaments Won: 11

vCash
    I like your football changes

They even bypass some of the employment legislation loopholes that the EU tend to get their knickers in a twist over. Didn't the EPL have a 30 man registration rule? Or did it only last a season? I thought Adebayor wasn't registered to play league games one season or something. Even that rule was a pick 30 from however many you had, didn't stop registering a load of players which is the biggest issue. I think the knock on effect of that rule would be better finances for grass roots since it would pay the pro clubs to develop local talent better than they have been doing. The FA can't tell the EPL to do a thing any more and that's were all those ideas to help fund grass roots football die a death.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

kuy

vCash

Twenty Questions (Episode 41 - Coys)

From one Spurs fan to another, kuy has nominated Coys, and here was me thinking it stood for Cum On Young Skin!
    Here are his responses:

Trowbridge, England.

I work as a customer service assistant for a builders merchant named Jewson.

Supported Spurs ever since my dad took me to my first game against Leicester in 2002. Was never really interested in football before that day but have been hooked ever since!

I was extremely young at the time but it was definitely Spurs. I spunked my entire 9 million budget on an aging Alan Shearer after watching him on the telly and then proceeded to get sacked midway through season one. Should probably have invested in the defence

This might be strange to some but i always found Darren Moore of WBA to be an absolute bargain in the original game. Used to sign him for around 2 million for pretty much every club i managed.

In real life it has to be Ledley King. If he had stayed fit he would have went on to become the greatest defender of his generation. Thierry Henry still maintains he is the best he has ever faced and that is good enough for me

Probably taking AFC Wimbledon from non-league to premiership glory. Was extremely good fun giving MK Franchise a good spanking along the way too.

I can quite often relate to having my head in the sand, especially at work, so in respect for Nigel Pearson i'll go with an Ostrich

I haven't played the game for quite a while now but i'm certainly looking at getting back in to it. Perhaps when the new update is released i will give it a go

Currently single so i don't have to worry about that! my friends have always found it a bit weird though.

I do own a ps4 but being honest i only use it for Netflix and a bit of FIFA. I really miss the days when the 01/02 clan was extremely active and hopefully it will be again one day.

Just little things really. I've never been bothered about structures or anything but things like goals drying up, regens coming back with low determination etc just puts me off sometimes.

Too many to name. Crouchy sending us in to the champions league was brilliant, as was his winning goal away at AC Milan. The obvious choice would be the carling cup win in 2008 but for some reason my memories of that day are a blur. All i know is that the ball smacked Woodgate in the face and went in

I'd probably go with Lennon's equaliser in the 4-4 away at Arsenal. Coming back from the dead to score twice in injury time sent me running around the house like a lunatic. Nothing beats a last minute goal in football

I've thought about this a lot in the past but my gut feeling is that the game should just be left alone. What would everybody talk about if there was no controversy? goal line technology was a good addition but i don't think they should go any further.

Saying that, i'd probably change the offside rule back to how it used to be. None of this was he involved or wasn't he rubbish.

I was average. Started off as a goalkeeper for my local junior team but my goal kicks were so hilariously bad i ended up on the wing because i was quick. Ended up as a right footed left back but haven't played in a long time.

Cricket and Tennis. Love the Ashes series and watching Wimbledon. Was gutted to miss it this year due to work!

The first thing i'd do is hire somebody who knows what the fuck they're doing to help me invest it in the best way possible

I'm not really too good with this type of thing as i'm not really bothered about famous people. Would love to have been alive to meet my great gran though.

Nothing really. Once i fall asleep that's pretty much it until my alarm goes off. I have to set about 3 different ones to make sure i get up though

Michael Jackson - Man in the Mirror.

Janis

41. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BobMem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Nice one Coys

My mate was from Trowbridge and raved about a bar/club called "Reflections" - not sure if its still going as would have been 15+ years ago!

Yes - shame about Ledley - for some reason I didn't 100% rate him but unfortunate with all the injuries

Q7 -

The offside rule fucks me off as well - just make it as simple as it used to be!

Q16 - would you really not trust yourself?!

Q18 - same for me!

vCash
    I wish I could sleep like that, got 2 young children which operate as alarms and never fail to wake me up at all hours.
    Actually I normally get woken up by Mrs BobMem telling me it's my turn

Ledley King is one of those players that every Spurs fan seems to rave about. He must be good because I've yet to meet one who didn't say "he'd have been brilliant if he could have stayed fit".

Alan Shearer was a beast on the ODB, and good for 3-4 seasons too. Well worth the 9m!

vCash
    Nice one Coys

My mate was from Trowbridge and raved about a bar/club called "Reflections" - not sure if its still going as would have been 15+ years ago!

Yes - shame about Ledley - for some reason I didn't 100% rate him but unfortunate with all the injuries

Q7 -

The offside rule fucks me off as well - just make it as simple as it used to be!

Q16 - would you really not trust yourself?!

Q18 - same for me!
    Never heard of Reflections. There is literally only 2-3 places you can go in Trowbridge for a night out and they are pretty bad. Most people make the short trip to Bath.

I think i'd just be incredibly paranoid if i was responsible for 4 million quid.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Coys For This Useful Post: