Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1239

Thread: Twenty Questions - Part 3 (Episode 97 - Topofthekop)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Forrest View Post
    Another Flyers fan!?!?!??!?

I'm a die-hard supporter and have been since I started watching hockey. My gf is too. We go to Philly every year to catch a game. Going April 6th this year for the final home game of the season
    Love it. Everyone hates the Flyers so it's nice to see i'm not completely alone haha. NHL game is massively on my to-do list, speed of it compared to the UK game is out of this world, it's like in football watching a Sunday League game vs Lionel Messi doing bits against Betis the other night.

Was hoping to catch a game when I was out in New York a few years back but in true "me" style - both the Rangers and the Islanders got knocked out in the first rounds of the playoffs... Desperately wanted to see some American sport though, so I ended up watching a "Soccer" game, which wasn't too bad as it actually turned out to be quite a lot like Football. Thierry Henry scored a couple of peaches.

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    Holy Trinity Member
    Well, Ottawa (where I live) is not the best place to watch a game. Fans are lifeless..... but Philly, Montreal, New York, Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, etc.... are all crazy fun times

Philly is especially fun because everyone is a Flyers fan.... and they are crazy passionate

Q3

Q4 - your job sounds similar to me!

Q5 -

Q10 - Mila

BRILLIANT insight to the update team as well for those of us that do not know all of the great work you guys do

Superb interview - well in Steve

I'm pretty boring really but i'll have a go

Q1 - What place do you call home and what is your spiritual home?
    Born and raised in Birmingham. Not sure I have a spiritual home other than my actual home.

Q2 - Which CM superstar would you like to see play for your IRL club and why?
    Don't know if he counts as a CM superstar but that Thierry Henry fella wasn't too bad.

Q3 - What's your drink of choice?
    Tea, I drink litres of the stuff everyday. For an alcoholic drink can't go wrong with a beer.

Q4 - What do you do for a living?
    Nothing at the moment. I'm looking for something enjoyable though, no point being unhappy. On the plus side it's meant i've been able to put lots of hours into updating lately.

Q5 - Who's your favourite Viper?
    I don't follow it unfortunately, maybe something for me to check out at some point.

Q6 - Who would you like to see in the Forum Hall of Fame?
    Redknapp69 seems like a good guy. A prolific poster he's always on here chatting footy, writing stories and being generally helpful.

Q7 - Any other hobbies?
    I mainly like football related stuff. I watch a little bit of other sports like Tennis and Snooker which are alright but they don't come close to football.

Q8 - What is the best thing about this forum?
    Got to be the people on here, the updates are also great and wouldn't be possible without said people.

Q9 - What do you eat the most?
    For proper food it's got to be cereal because I eat it most days. For a snack i'm partial to a biscuit.

Q10 - Who's your favourite babe m/f? pic please.
    A favourite of mine is Kaley Cuoco.

Q11 - Post a pic of your favourite football shirt:
    Before my time but I will go with the Villa shirt from the european cup final. The one that they sell now is slightly different but I still like it.
    Spoiler!

Q12 - How would your mates describe you?
    Probably a bit of a recluse

Q13 - What position do you look to strengthen first in-game?
    There's not a particular position, I assess the squad first and decide which area is weakest. Sometimes I don't even sign anyone if I think the squad is fine or i'm looking to keep things realistic.

Q14 - Where do you go to on vacation?
    I've been abroad to a few countries but more often than not it's somewhere coastal in Britain.

Q15 - What's your most loved movie/tv series and who's your fave character in it?
    I generally prefer a comedy and I'll go for the classic that is only fools and horses, the character would have to be Del boy.

Q16 - Menubars. Do you bother?
    I've seen them but no I don't bother, if you're going to be starting new saves you'll need to keep changing it?
    I did used to use one of the background packs though which was good but it had so many images that it took too long to load the game.

Q17 - What feature would you like to see implemented in CM01/02?
    As someone who went from football manager to championship manager, initially I wanted some kind of visual representation of what was happening on the pitch but i've since realised the beauty of champman is putting the match speed on very fast and whizzing through a season in a few hours.
    So as others have said the best thing would probably be the ability to remove some of the limitations for things like league structures.

Q18 - What team do you hate with a passion and why them?
    Small Heath Alliance. No explanation needed.

Q19 - Compare yourself to a real life football player!
    Jordan Pickford - a goalkeeper who they say isn't big enough to play the position, except in my case they'd be right

Q20 - Who would you like to see answering questions next and have you got a special Q for them?
    Looks like Mark hasn't answered for part 2 yet? Pick a team consisting of the best players that you have seen live (in the flesh)

Q21 - Pick your best Villa team since the start of the Premier League era… you can only pick a maximum of one player from each season. 92/93 - 15/16
    I'm actually younger than you might think so I didn't see the first decade or so of the premier league which will make this even harder considering Villa's best spell was in the 90's.

Mark Bosnich (1996) - won 2 league cups and most agree he's probably the best Villa keeper of the premier league era.
    Paul McGrath (1993) - known as God by the fans, one of the greatest players to play for the club. Not many defenders win the PFA player of the year award either.
    Martin Laursen (2008) - was brilliant when fit but had injury problems which eventually forced him to retire.
    Olof Mellberg (2004) - solid defender and a bit of a cult hero, capped 117 times for Sweden and went on to play for Juventus so can't have been too bad.
    Paul Merson (2000) - was a really good player from what i've seen/heard, even watching him do some of these things now although he can't run his technical ability is still brilliant.
    Gareth Barry (2007) - was a revelation when he was converted to central midfield, showed what a good player he was elsewhere too.
    James Milner (2010) - same as above
    Ashley Young (2009) - was electric for about 18 months and got loads of assists. I spotted back then that he could play at full back when he used to do our left backs defending for them
    Jack Grealish (2015) - okay i'm cheating a little here as he's played his best football in the championship but he's the most naturally gifted player i've seen Villa produce, praying we hang onto him for as long as possible.
    Dwight Yorke (1997) - seen the vids of him at Villa and everyone knows what he went on to achieve with Man Utd, who knows how much he'd be worth these days.
    Christian Benteke (2013) - looked like becoming a top striker at one point but had a couple of bad injuries that seem to have affected his mobility and more importantly his confidence.

It will have to be a 3-5-2 with Young and Milner as wing backs, as long as Grealish and Merson track back it'll be fine

Great effort with that Villa Team!!! Benteke is a particularly great shout. He looked like he was going to be a world beater at Villa but you are right, he seems to have lost his way. Got a lot of time for those 3 centre backs too.

Won't ask your age - but that's pretty damn impressive if you are a "proper" FM to CM convert, if you played FM before CM, proves what a legendary game this is!

You loved your Mark "Boz" Bosnich? I loved him too (uppa straya!)

Short and sweet - loved the answers. Unemployed, any previous employment?
    I'm like you - hated the shit out of FM so I kind of hung a "U-ey" or a U-turn and came back to 97/98, which led on to 01/02.
    Small Health Alliance - not wrong there!

Just remembered Benteke played for Liverpool at one stage

Paul McGrath - imagine how good he'd have been if he trained for most of his career (and wasn't an alcoholic )

Quote Originally Posted by jacobclear View Post
    so I kind of hung a "U-ey"
    I can't read that without doing it in an Australian accent

Merson won't track back

You can always get a generic menubar so it doesn't matter who you manage.

I had to google Small Heath Alliance

I haven't actually done part 2, didn't realise that. I'll do it next week

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Merson won't track back

same here. Clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    same here. Clueless.
    I knew it from commentating a few Championship games (derbies) but not sure why I remembered it

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarle View Post
    I can't read that without doing it in an Australian accent
    Id love to see some of you guys attempt an Australian accent.

Id love to see some of you guys attempt an Australian accent.
    (probably non interesting) fact for you - my cousin lives in Oz and has citizenship. He captained the Australian Mini-Football team last year in the World Cup. He is a coach for Manly United and captains Semi Pro for a team called Belrose Terrey Hills Raiders, another of my cousins also plays for BTH!

(probably non interesting) fact for you - my cousin lives in Oz and has citizenship. He captained the Australian Mini-Football team last year in the World Cup. He is a coach for Manly United and captains Semi Pro for a team called Belrose Terrey Hills Raiders, another of my cousins also plays for BTH!
    Is his name Eda Rigoni or am I tripping?

Is his name Eda Rigoni or am I tripping?
    George Harle

He works with the youth team mainly but he's working on his coaching badges as he's getting on a bit now (in Footballing Terms!)

Nice one Villan

What sort of tea?

Aye - main thing with a job is to be happy (unless really want to chase the bucks)

Q6 -

Q18 - Never knew they were called that!. What's your take on the grealish punch thoing? (you may have posted in Championship thread?)

Q21 - bloody hell - that would be a fine team

Felt a bit sorry for benteke at Pool - once again - a player that never fitted our style of play (like Carrol) so an odd signing. Not sure if he got a proper run of games (like a lot we sign then discard) but I do remember for a spell he did and then really missed some great opportunities, 1 on 1's etc. he halso had some bad luck and I think it just fried his head and hehasn't really recovered since.

McGrath was an immense player - helluva autobiography as well - drinking bleach part was a bit of a moment!

Great effort with that Villa Team!!! Benteke is a particularly great shout. He looked like he was going to be a world beater at Villa but you are right, he seems to have lost his way. Got a lot of time for those 3 centre backs too.

Won't ask your age - but that's pretty damn impressive if you are a "proper" FM to CM convert, if you played FM before CM, proves what a legendary game this is!
    Benteke was brilliant in his first season but never quite the same after the injuries. Those 3 at the back wouldn't concede many!

I was getting a bit frustrated with the newer games so I searched for some of the older ones and came across this place

You loved your Mark "Boz" Bosnich? I loved him too (uppa straya!)

Short and sweet - loved the answers. Unemployed, any previous employment?
    I'm like you - hated the shit out of FM so I kind of hung a "U-ey" or a U-turn and came back to 97/98, which led on to 01/02.
    Small Health Alliance - not wrong there!
    Yep seems he was a good keeper back in the day.

I'm yet to decide what I want to do with my life really.

FM is not a bad game it's just too in depth these days and takes too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    Just remembered Benteke played for Liverpool at one stage

Paul McGrath - imagine how good he'd have been if he trained for most of his career (and wasn't an alcoholic )
    Yep they paid £32M for him

Did you get to see McGrath play for Ireland?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Merson won't track back

Thought as much

Oh right I had only seen the club menu bars, I'll have to have another look

I assumed people would have to google it, unless you're us or them then you probably won't know

I was a bit surprised you hadn't done part 2. Hopefully you can remember all the great players you've seen for Q21, got to be a place for Rory Delap in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Nice one Villan

What sort of tea?

Aye - main thing with a job is to be happy (unless really want to chase the bucks)

Q6 -

Q18 - Never knew they were called that!. What's your take on the grealish punch thoing? (you may have posted in Championship thread?)

Q21 - bloody hell - that would be a fine team

Felt a bit sorry for benteke at Pool - once again - a player that never fitted our style of play (like Carrol) so an odd signing. Not sure if he got a proper run of games (like a lot we sign then discard) but I do remember for a spell he did and then really missed some great opportunities, 1 on 1's etc. he halso had some bad luck and I think it just fried his head and hehasn't really recovered since.

McGrath was an immense player - helluva autobiography as well - drinking bleach part was a bit of a moment!
    Just regular like Tetley.

Agreed, more to life than money.

Surprised you weren't already in the hall of fame when I looked.

The sad thing is I wasn't the least bit surprised, I knew he was going to be targeted on and off the pitch He responded in the best possible way though

Think it would be interesting if everyone did a team for their clubs. I've seen the other thread on it but it seems like the clubs are being chosen first.

Yeah was never convinced the style would suit him, he definitely seemed to lose some pace and a bit of the spring in his jump after the injuries though.

I've got the autobiography knocking around somewhere, will have to dig it out and have a read.

Quote Originally Posted by the villan View Post
    Did you get to see McGrath play for Ireland?
    Just the once back when there was terraces at Lansdowne Road. As a youngster playing DC too I was enthralled watching everything he done. Some forwards are said to be able to gain 3 yards of pace due to their positioning, McGrath gained about 10. He was amazing at predicting the likeliest scenario in any opponent attack, and being ready for about 10 different ones at once. I think within a year I went from playing DC to Sweeper from trying a similar style (back when all underage teams played 433 with a sweeper ). My style used be more "agricultural" before seeing him play.

That said, Dicky Dunne in Moscow is the greatest display I've seen by an Irish DC. Agricultural defending isn't all bad

?

Sorry the villan did remind me but I forgot

Will get this filled out today.

Right, about time I got this sorted...!

Q1 - What place do you call home and what is your spiritual home?
    I still in the very same village I grew up in, having sold my flat of eight years last year and bought a house literally half a mile away with my now fiancee. I'm not too sure about spiritual home but having been to Rome twice, it's probably one of my favourite places to go and I've now stayed in Pantow three times with her family and set to go back again next month.

Q2 - Which CM superstar would you like to see play for your IRL club and why?
    I've seen quite a few play for Stoke in real life actually. Not too long ago, I fired up a game on the ODB and shortlisted every player that was in the game at that time who really did play for Stoke. I ended up building a half decent team containing the likes of Clint Hill, Rory Delap, John Eustace, Jermaine Pennant, Chris Riggott, Liam Lawrence, Dave Kitson, Shay Given, Glen Johnson, Matthew Etherington, Michael Owen and Jonathan Woodgate to name but a few! In fact, you could have a pretty good go at the PL title with them. Perhaps it would make for a good story one day

Q3 - What's your drink of choice?
    Depends on what day it is and what time it is

I drink coffee and fresh juice every morning for breakfast. Water with lunch/tea at work or cordial if at home. If it's a weekend and we're talking alcoholic drinks, I'm partial to an ale. Favourite pint if available would be a Doombar. Also like a Landlords, Pedigree, Joules or Tribute off the top of my head. I'm in the middle in terms of preferring a dark or pale ale.

Q4 - What do you do for a living?
    I'm fast approaching my fifteenth year working at Keele University. For those who don't know, I started as a fresh faced 18 year old IT/AV Apprentice and became an IT/AV Technician after two years on a wage of £50 a week! I was made a Learning Technology Officer three years ago which is essentially a mixture of IT Support for the School of Pharmacy and looking after the development of online technology primarily for our postgraduate programmes. There's been a lot of changes recently and though my job is probably secure, I have started to that I'd like to become a specialist in a dedicated role. I've done a lot of enterprise work in developing Linux servers to host web applications and it's something I quite enjoy. I'm considering doing some training in this area to perhaps look for a new job as a Linux Engineer or Infrastructure Engineer. Having said that, I wouldn't be averse to staying at Keele but I am fully aware I could possibly earn twice as much as a specialist.

Q5 - Who's your favourite Viper?
    I couldn't possibly say! In terms of the current version, I'll give a shout out to all those who sign up and have stayed with us since we started it. Special mentions though to Goofy, Baz, Jesus and Janis89 who have been missed. In terms of the versions going back years, I have to give Syphon a mention who I'm sure most won't remember but he was an electric winger who could play on both flanks and the captain in the very first version as CM Forums City!

Q6 - Who would you like to see in the Forum Hall of Fame?
    You'd think there are only three members in the HoF - Tapani, Dermotron and Beezer,Celtic1967 but there are actually more who haven't had a thread written up for them yet JohnLocke, Kingsley and saturn are also in there and I think I agree that it's time Redknapp69 should be in there too.

Q7 - Any other hobbies?
    It's literally CM 01/02, FIFA or football. I rarely have time to play on the PlayStation as often as I used to back in the day where we'd meet up as a clan and play whatever choice of game there was at the time. So when I do get on, I try to play some Pro Clubs if other members of the community are online but will often just stick Ultimate Team on. Outside of gaming, I like movies as you'll see from my reviews every month of films we've watched. I'm a big football fan and have a season ticket at Stoke and try to go a few away games a year. Sadly, we're a bit crap at the moment and even though I've been to Hull, West Brom, Leeds, Preston and Birmingham this season, we've not won a single one of them. It's pretty much the only sport I follow though I don't mind watching Wimbledon when the time comes or the Six Nations. Sorry golf/cricket fans, I have absolutely no time for them. I also still play football though it's only five a-side having packed in Sunday League last Summer. I also try to run occasionally having trained in the last three years for the local half marathon but sadly won't be doing it this year as I've had knee problems since the last one in June.

Q8 - What is the best thing about this forum?
    The community, plain and simple. Since the site was set up as a spin off from the dugout to host data updates, it's progressed into something wonderful. A home for all kinds of people from all kinds of walks of life but with one common interest. One thing I do find upsetting is how people fall by the wayside (I've mentioned some above but also miss the likes of ozRooster, Scooterfan, Lee, churky and Patinoz) as the years progress but thankfully the game is still as addictive as it was in 2001 for some of us and we've picked up new members along the way to keep it going.

Q9 - What do you eat the most?
    Crisps. I don't think a day ever goes by when I don't munch on a packet of crisps! Some people like their chocolate, I'm the other type who like their crisps! McCoys in particular but I'll have anything with my lunch.

Q10 - Who's your favourite babe m/f? pic please.
    There's been plenty over the years. Elisha Cuthbert was a particular favourite in late teens/early twenties as I used to love a blonde but seem to like the brunettes nowadays! Claire Forlani was another!

Q11 - Post a pic of your favourite football shirt:
    This one will always bring back good memories from my childhood:

Q12 - How would your mates describe you?
    Quiet, honest and loyal lad who comes out of his shell a bit when he's had a drink especially as it somehow made it easier for me to follow conversation as I'd usually struggle in group environments due to being deaf. Also has a sarcastic sense of humour!

Q13 - What position do you look to strengthen first in-game?
    I start from the back and work my way up the pitch. In a 'normal' game without any restrictions, I leave it to the coaches to let me know who should go and need replacing. But if I don't have at least 3 players per position, that's where I'll strengthen first.

Q14 - Where do you go to on vacation?
    Kind of already answered this one We've been going to Padstow every other year with the missus's family. The year in between, we try to alternate between a lazy beach holiday or a city break. So it's been Rome, Padstow, Lanzarote, Padstow, Paris, Padstow and Rome! In fact, we should have gone to New York for New Year but sadly I was admitted to hospital on Boxing Day and didn't recover in time to make our flights. Fortunately, we got our money back and are planning to have a lazy beach holiday abroad this Summer to make up for it. It's a shame but in a way, it worked out as we went for a short break to the Lake District instead where I proposed to her, having planned to do it in New York but never truly felt comfortable about doing it over there.

Q15 - What's your most loved movie/tv series and who's your fave character in it?
    Growing up, it'd have to be Joey in Friends and Fletch in Dream Team Nowadays, I'd probably say Samwell Tarly in Game of Thrones. Daryl in Walking Dead is pretty cool too.

Q16 - Menubars. Do you bother?
    Not especially although I keep telling myself to try a few different ones, as well as deleting them for a change.

Q17 - What feature would you like to see implemented in CM01/02?
    A pretty simple one really. The ability to have the correct competition structures throughout the globe would be pretty cool, in addition to being able to manage in whatever league you chose. I wouldn't want to move away from the simplicity of it, to be honest.

Q18 - What team do you hate with a passion and why them?
    Arsenal due to their treatment of Ryan Shawcross all these years on. QPR, Cardiff and West Brom are other teams we've encountered who had managers/players/fans who were basically absolute prats.

Q19 - Compare yourself to a real life football player!
    Lanky like Peter Crouch but without the overhead kicking ability! Not sure who to compare myself to, to be honest. I'd say I was always a versatile player who never locked down a position but was a team player and happy to play anywhere. Best traits would be quick turn of pace and ability to dribble.

Q20 - Who would you like to see answering questions next and have you got a special Q for them?
    Imagine my surprise in learning that mkskozienice, who has the fourth most amount of posts on the site, has never had a go at this! Let's ask him to have a whirl at this but if he'd rather stay off the radar then ebfatz hasn't done the new questions yet.

My question to either would be - Can you remember how you found this website and what made you sign up?