Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Tactics - Help & Discussion

vCash
    4-3-1-2 its work since the original game never once had a problem with it. some games i have like 16 shots on target but cant score and the other team has one shot and wins 1-0. i cant even get messi to score goals

vCash
    Just wanted to open a discussion with anyone about mentalities.

The following extract is from the "General Guide to Championship Manager 3 - Season 01/02 by Marc Vaughan":

Mentality
    This indicates the basic fundamental mentality of the team, whether they are more defensively minded or attack minded.

• Normal
    This indicates that the team will play ‘Normal’ football.

• Defensive
    This indicates that the team will be cautious and attempt to ensure that they aren’t caught out at the back when attacking.

• Attacking
    This indicates that the team will be attack minded and may push more men forward then normal, be very cautious when using this option or you may find yourself caught short at the back.
    There isn't much detail revealed and so I wondered what people's preferred setup was to each match?

I've recently employed a system where I will go Normal if the opponent is Attacking and Attacking if the opponent is using Normal or Defensive. So far it's worked quite nicely with team's who are attacking me getting caught out by the normal mentality. I also find that my team tends to be a bit more clinical whilst on Normal mentality.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M.C.F.C For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by M.C.F.C View Post
    Just wanted to open a discussion with anyone about mentalities.

The following extract is from the "General Guide to Championship Manager 3 - Season 01/02 by Marc Vaughan":

There isn't much detail revealed and so I wondered what people's preferred setup was to each match?

I've recently employed a system where I will go Normal if the opponent is Attacking and Attacking if the opponent is using Normal or Defensive. So far it's worked quite nicely with team's who are attacking me getting caught out by the normal mentality. I also find that my team tends to be a bit more clinical whilst on Normal mentality.
    generally if you can counteract the oppositions mentality you will win the football match

If you are defensive and the opposition is not attacking you in the right areas or just running into dead ends where you have a parked dmc and 2 incredible centre backs chances are you will win the game

likewise if you attacking and they defensive but you are overloading them so much and out pressing them you will camp them in so much they will be no threat so you can defend high up the pitch just as well

It's a balancing act obviously as those two examples above are the 2 extremes where most football games are within that spectrum getting the balance right generally of how and where you attack the opposition and how you will defend with the risk to reward ratio

It's how i see it anyway obviously lot's of other parameters come into play player morale, quality of player compared to opposition and adapting to there changes and overloading them or taking your foot off the gas when your team is tired and you been under the kosh for most of it

A defensive formation does not have to be necessarily defensive mentality just as an attacking one can be very good defensively if you are playing less risk long ball football or more counter attacking or even attacking mentality but you can kill there threat with man marking there outlets on the break or just bullying or marking there main creative or attacking threats out the game. An attacking long ball tactic can be just as safe and cautious as a defensive short passing tactic if that makes sense they are both low risk. Attacking and long can run into problems because even though low risk in your own half as they just boot it up field but won't keep possession well just as defensive and short they will be passing safe all day and could be easy to defend against when you do attack as you aren't moving the opposition out of position because the build up is so slow but you will be safe and keep possession but run the risk of losing the ball in your own half more.

I usually play non wib wob so with smaller teams i usually normal mentality and look to 2 key areas of opposition i need to stop and then concentrate on my attacking outlets and a creative player after that

If your team has that much quality generally tactics become less important the less quality you have tactics are the difference between overachieving or not
    Last edited by leo37; 20-05-20 at 01:45 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to leo37 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    So I have a poser to do with AI tactics, and how manager attributes influence the formations that they play.

I know the update team have done great work in manipulating manager attributes so that AI managers play the 'modern' 4-3-3, with three central mids and then two advanced wingers off a main striker. Which is great. And this is achieved by the managers having a high free role attribute (18 or more) and a low man marking attribute (4 or less), as explained to me by Dermotron.

However... all the teams playing this 4-3-3, even the big ones (e.g. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Bayern to name a few) change to a standard old 4-4-2, specifically when playing tough away games, which generally means they play a more 'defensive' tactic. But why the formation change? It's quite annoying that all the clubs do this...

EXCEPT, Solskjaer's Man Utd. Solskjaer also has the 4-3-3 preferred formation set, but in my tests, United play this consistently every game, even those tough away games in which the other clubs always change to a 4-4-2 instead. So, why is this the case? There has to be something different about Solskjaer's attributes in the data to make this happen, but I'm yet to work out why. Does anyone have any ideas?

vCash
    What do you recommend for a defensive counter attack, direct or long passing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smicer View Post
    What do you recommend for a defensive counter attack, direct or long passing?
    depends on your team and player attributes etc

i still haven't worked out what is best for counter maybe others have on cm0102. When using it with Milan with mainly shev and Inzaghi upfront i used short, counter and defensive and worked as well as it possibly could on the Football philosophy challenge

If you have a big lump upfront or 2 of them you at least have to go direct or long then it would depend on your mentality and how quickly you will risk breaking out of defensive solidity into a counter offensive

using an Amc and 2 strikers helps or using winger with arrrows up or already stationed high up the pitch could work also in a one striker setup

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718