Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "I have a question . . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by edcrowley100 View Post
    think i might try the demo then, sounds sensible
    That's a good shout.

So the 2.19.1 patch (linked above) has 'modern finances' but the 2.19.2 I downloaded a few weeks ago doesn't? Any reason why it's not included in the .2?

Dermotron is offline Sir Mergements
    Director
    Manager
    VIP
    Captain

I think it was a 2.9.1.1 or just a trial patch at someone's request

Nice one guys, I will download the 2.19.1 patch and give it a whirl.

I play CM01/02 cause it's a game. The FM's seem like a job, which I already have.

You should definately play FM, and as soon as possible

Spoiler!
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

I'll admit that I only played the first or the second FM. Since 05 that I haven't played FM but I have a tendency of going back to CM 01/02.

Don't get me wrong... I try to avoid the game cause it is so addicting but... I just can't do it forever.

I enjoyed that FM. I stopped playing cause I had players that were injured for 6 months and they wanted to play... I wouldn't be able to renew their contracts... and I needed to study. Then I haven't had the time to enter a new world like the FM. Don't get me wrong, I would love to... as there are some things on CM 01/02 that aren't that nice (like stupid tactics that actually work... when my brother was loosing for more than one he would change for something like 1-1-2 in the wings, 3 Center attacking middle fielders and 3 strikers and he would win 8 out of 10 times, even getting back from deficits like 1-5 and stuff like that) but we can actually make a season in a day (or 2 if you like to keep up with lots of players always looking for the better deal and stuff like that). And that's fun cause loosing a game in CM or FM is enough reason to make another... as well as winning... but one actually allows you to go on for a bit more, the other doesn't. At least for me.

Hey... If I start with Benfica on CM 01/02 I would spend 3 to 4 hours in the pre season... that would be my first day at any FM... at least

It all depends what you want from your manager sim, if you don't dally on CM you can do a season possibly even two in a day, FM on the other hand is the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

CM turns hours into days and before you know it the week is gone, but in that time your 19yo signing is starting to think about retiring. LOL

FM, though...FM you can have the days sucked out of you if you get into it, but after the week is up on FM your 19yo is 21, maybe 22.

Fm is great, I really enjoy the depth, but when I want to smash a quick season or two CM is the go to game.

If you can get your head around the depth of FM and adjust then it is like other lads in here said, VERY rewarding, and well worth it.

CM is rewarding and what I would consider a pick up and play kinda game.

Both are great for different reasons.

"I have a question . . . ."

Hi guys!

As a Cm0304 an CM0102 avid player, I gotta say I'm curious about something.

When I play CM0102, I rarely play with updates--not for any reason in particular, but because I thought one of the main appeals was to enjoy the game with the way-back squads.

For example, I play with Villarreal, and enjoy having Palermo, Guayre, Vallejo, Victor, Unai...what an amazing squad! If I were to use an update, I'd just be playing with current players in a game 14 yeard old...

Which prompts my question--why do you play with updated leagues? Do you like CM0102 so much that the joy of the game has nothing to do with playing with older or newer squads? Is CM0102 for you miles away from FM in that aspect to where the nostalgia doesn't really have much to do with it?

This is not an aggressive question, rather a debate-prompting one. I'm just curious.

Hmm.. I think CM0102 is a good game, and I think it gets better with updated squads, although I miss having Shearer at Newcastle. I can't quite get over his retirement.. I know I could have switched to FM years ago, but I find FM too time consuming and complex. CM on the other hand is a bit too basic, but it's the better option for me.

Playing with the updates gets rid of the super Greek/Portuguese/Swedish players. On the original game, it didn't matter what team you started with, after a few seasons you'd end up with the same players - What is the incentive to not sign To Madiera.

I guess playing with the update adds a bit of variety and makes you think a little bit.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

Purely and simply I like playing with up to date players.

Regardless of it being an old game. It adds a newness to it with up to date squads.

Quote Originally Posted by The Eejit View Post
    Playing with the updates gets rid of the super Greek/Portuguese/Swedish players. On the original game, it didn't matter what team you started with, after a few seasons you'd end up with the same players - What is the incentive to not sign To Madiera.

I guess playing with the update adds a bit of variety and makes you think a little bit.
    In all honesty, I don't agree with this. No matter who I manage, I NEVER sign any of those players, so it really doesn't matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Purely and simply I like playing with up to date players.

Regardless of it being an old game. It adds a newness to it with up to date squads.

Same here

The other reason is I cannot be bothered to spend 8 hours on FM playing 1 day in the game

Psmith Unattached
    Excellent question Mark!

I play with the data updates, as well as the coloured attributes patch.
    I actually have been reflecting about why I love cm0102 so much, I'm not
    completely sure, but I know it's not just nostalgia.

I've been meaning to write an essay about the game in order to help me understand why
    the game is so good. The essay would follow the following premises:

- cm0102 experience relies heavily on your imagination; this is obvious in the
    way the matches are displayed: you are presented with fragments of information (statistics and
    the text commentary) which you have to complete, interpret, analyse and
    synthesise in your own head in order to have a full picture. Much like
    reading a book
    . A good writer describes his characters sparingly, it
    is up for the reader to understand the psychological, moral, ideological, and
    ethical dimensions of the character from the character's actions. This creates
    a very powerful relationship between reader and text. The stories you read,
    the characters you get to know inhabit your mind, your spirit, and become
    part of your memories forever.

In comparison, playing FM is like watching TV while CM0102 is akin to reading a long novel.

- cm0102 offers a world unfolding before your eyes which is almost completely independent
    from you. Events occur in succession and it is up to you to ascribe them any meaning,
    that is, an overwhelming amount of things happen in the game (injuries, matches, competitions,
    victories, defeats, accomplishments, awards, exciting things, boring things) and all these events
    are only related at a very basic level. It is up to you to interpret what happens and build
    long epic narratives or short tragic stories yourself! The game does not do it for you. It only
    offers fragmented pieces of information. For example:

Recently an Argentine central defender in my squad asked for a raise; I refused; next
    match (a champions league fixture agaisnt Barcelona) he punched a Bara player
    out of the blue and was sent off. The game did not relate these 3 events, the game did
    not say anything to me at all, but in my head a whole novella unfolded of sour grapes,
    angry discussions, first page headlines and so on and so forth.

I think these aspects of the game make it a rather beautiful experience.

And I have been wondering about something: what would have happened to CM
    if the game developers had not decided to go down the graphical display route coupled
    with an increase of the information provided? What if the developers had decided in 2002
    that the game should explore further this fragmented approach, instead of investing
    in better graphics perhaps investing in making the CM experience even more immersive
    through text and bits of information?

He creates space for himself...

He is one on one with the keeper!

I don't think I asked the question, Jack_Rabbit!

To answer the original question, I think the appeal is to play an old game with an update. That's the reason for most people why it is still so popular because yes, it is a new game but every time a new update is released, it feels like you are playing a new version as you are freshening it up year on year. This also means that it is still a challenge with each update as you don't end up signing the same players every single time you load up a new save as you would on the ODB which is a breeze because you know exactly who to buy in order to be successful.

Don't get me wrong, the ODB was fantastic but I don't think I could play it any more given that updates are what we are here for and what I have become accustomed to.

Psmith Unattached
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't think I asked the question, Jack_Rabbit!

To answer the original question, I think the appeal is to play an old game with an update. That's the reason for most people why it is still so popular because yes, it is a new game but every time a new update is released, it feels like you are playing a new version as you are freshening it up year on year. This also means that it is still a challenge with each update as you don't end up signing the same players every single time you load up a new save as you would on the ODB which is a breeze because you know exactly who to buy in order to be successful.

Don't get me wrong, the ODB was fantastic but I don't think I could play it any more given that updates are what we are here for and what I have become accustomed to.
    I meant to address Cristian the thread starter sorry for the confusion : p

Regarding the specific issue of the data updates, I think part of its charm and appeal
    lay on the possibility of discovering new wonder-kids and hidden gems.

Well, for once you've convinced me to try the new update and see how that works. I get the appeal, but seeing as I haven't played that much with the ODB I didn't see how you'd get tired of it. I can see how people who've played it for two decades would be tired

Recently finished a network game with 3 other CM old timers, (relatives I played with 13 years or so ago as a youngster), still has the same magic after all these years because of the updates.

The competitiveness of playing against people you know and see regularly makes it all the more interesting, especially with the back and forth made possible by using today's mobile apps. I don't think any other game can rival that experience for a football fan.

The text commentary is actually what makes it even better imo, as you never really know exactly what to expect before that inimatable goal 'flash' to give you that little rush or deflate you.

This is a game that lets you build your squad quite easily. It lets you do the 'fun' side of things easily, without getting bogged down in the nitty gritty of the hard stuff like detailed tactics, training and finances. That for me is why it's so good.

With extra features relating to the player-manager-media interaction, as well as enhacements to the very basic 'reward' system it would be even better.

But to answer your question, I don't think I'd play it if there were no updates, considering the path to building your team becomes a quick and easy routine.

For me the updates, the network game capability, the fun factor and speed of the game makes it better than other games.

(Since we've started the network game, we've been pretty much hooked, despite two of us having young families and all - just shows how good the game still is.)

2 Questions

Are the manager stats broken? After 6 seasons with Bordeaux my record is supposedly

Played 510
    Won 322
    Drawn 87
    Lost 101

Now, there is no way I have played 510 games in 6 seasons, even adding half a dozen friendlies per year to the 38 league games plus domestic cup runs and European matches I have never played more than 70 games in a season

Also I cannot see how I have lost 101 games, I have lost 25 league games, 10 domestic cup games and 3 friendlies, that means I have lost 63 games in Europe in 6 years ?!?

My other question is how do I see my club's reputation? Is it based on my manager rep or something else?

thanks

I take it you haven't managed any teams before Bordeaux?

Can't say I've ever seen anyone report a bug with that before.

This is my first save since installing the game, it may be that the game has added on 2-3 seasons stats from before I took over or something, will start a new save with a different team and check again

You're not controlling the reserves or any national team?

No, just the First Team..unless the game THINKS I control the reserves, how can I tell?

Its an issue in France i discovered a while back.

The game includes the B team/reserves stats from the Champ National (or something like that) in your stats...doesnt happen in any other country i know of and is the reason i never manage in Frogland.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast