Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "I have a question . . . ."

vCash

Cool Should I play FM or not????

Been playing CM since CM3, bought CM4 when it came out, utterly HATED the game, the Aesthetics, everything!! So have stuck with CM0102

Saw someone post the FM documentary in a thread

I watched it an hour ago, leaving me intruiged as to the capabilities the Football Manager games has to offer, and just as I suspected, A lot..

After watching this brilliant documentary, I decided to look at some FM gameplay Videos on YouTube..

I have to say, the sheer amount of options you have is utterly brilliant, wish I could have these in CM0102 but I still find myself having the same issue as I did with CM4, very unpleasant Aesthetics, feels FAR TOO sterile and cold, almost like its trying to be as FIFA as possible without being a FIFA game...

Although i do like the look and idea of the 3D match engine, but even if I did decide to buy the game and give it a go, I'd predict that I'd end up missing the warmth and simplicity of CM0102, so maybe I've answered my own question right there really...

Obviously, in an ideal world, I'd love the Vast Options and interactive capabilities added to the look and feel of CM0102. This will never happen, unless I win the lottery or something and could realistically make this happen.
    (BTW, I promise to make that happen if I do managed to get my hand on a few million and give it to you all for free of course because I'm a nice guy like that)

So before I make my mind up completely, for those who have some experience of FM series, for someone who hasn't played anything past CM0102, how difficult do you think I would find it to adapt to the FM series?

What things should I consider, is it worth it, what have your experiences been and how would you compare these two games?
    Last edited by eddieC; 14-10-14 at 03:23 PM.

vCash
    I've only played FM 14 for a few hours, but my experience is that the learning curve from CM 0102 to FM 14 is steep. Hard. Huge. FM is probably a great game if you are willing to put in a lot of hours to learn how it works.

I'm sticking with CM 0102.

vCash
    I play the handheld version on my iPad which is a stripped back more simpler mode close to cm. I've played the full version in the past and as much as some aspects are great it just takes too long to complete a season and gain momentum.

I did like getting international jobs and being able to hire my club staff as assistants, coaches & under 21 managers etc though....

vCash
    Also, One thing that worries me too, is the limitations my Laptop would have with FM.

With CM0102 I can run all leagues, which I like, as I'm a job hopper after 9/10 seasons with a club depending on what i've achieved

I wouldn't be able to run that many leagues on FM with my Laptop, therefore I might end up feeling restricted...

How about you guys?

vCash
    Hm, if you are willing to give it TIME and patience, you will reap rewards.

I believe on FM14 I completed ~15 seasons with Tottenham () and it was pretty fun. Season can take me from 6hrs (just pace through, leaving almost everything to back room staff) to even 3-4 days if you are doing transfer scouting and other stuff.

It's pretty demanding, but the rewards and how open the game is... Is huge reward. Plus yeah, the documentary was ace. I love the way they are going each year (but as you saw, some people stick with older FM versions because of SAVES they are not willing to let go - Blyth Spartan one was on FM09 if I recall from Football Ruined my Life dude ).

I believe no-one sane runs ALL leagues on large db on FM . The game would become unplayable even on most powerful gaming PC (you know, even game devs don't recommend going OVER 150k players loaded limit which accounts to, if I remember: 8-10 leagues on Large DB). Trust me here, Small DB on FM is like Maximum on CM at times. That's how much FM DB has grown over the years and why ProZone was interested...

vCash
    Well, now that confuses me, Why would it bugger up if you ran all leagues? Surely that has to do with the level of hard/software you have, not the game itself surely??...

why would they create a game that would become UNPLAYABLE if you chose the maximum of options??? Unplayable how??

that really bothers me!

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod
    Tournaments Won: 1

vCash

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    As in responsive issues, slow processing speed (trust me here, waiting 10 min to 1 hour to process single day wouldn't be such joke ). You should check how many entries FM14 database holds for players to understand that though (will try to grab xml file of fully extracted DB if I have time to do so).

It's A LOT. It's something you cannot compare to any CM.

vCash
    wouldn't say i'm arguing for which ones best really... but i enjoy memes...

vCash
    ah right, i understand...

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod
    Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    it'll happen Ed.

watch and see.

vCash
    ha ha ha... i believe it!! lmao.... that genuinely made me lol, thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to eddieC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I play FM06, FM 09,FM 13.

The 06 one is still quite playable for me. I dun remember it very well becuz it's a long time ago but the game is still simply a "game", as I can recall.
    Then the 09 one...I cannot believe it. It's like I'm having a job or something. Everything just falls on my head. Tons of stuff to learn, to do EVERY SINGLE DAY. I feel heavy everytime I open the game up. The same for 2013 one, even worse.

Yeah, I know it would not make any sense when I say the reason above. Becuz FM makes the manager experience more realistic than ever before. In fact, from what I saw it FM 2013, it's so real.
    But it's so real that I don't want it. Becuz a game, IMO, should just stay a game.

Moreover, I'm 26 yo, with a tiring job. I really just wanna play a game where I can find it relaxing, not complicated plus so hard to learn.

Well, in short, I find it impossible to adapt to the new FM. Whenever I play it, I find my eyes tired, I feel sleepy and heavily responsible for just a game. So I never play it anymore.

P.S: don't get me wrong. The game is truly great for those who can put efforts into it. I cannot...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threamcloud For This Useful Post:

vCash
    FM is like a vast flight simulation now, vastly top heavy with good intentions but a game? Not really, think flight simulator. Cm is like an arcade game compared to it. A pick up and read free paper like the metro while FM is the financial times. I own every cm game from 93 to FM 14 but prefer the simple ways of cm to FM any day. It's maybe an age thing. If I had only known FM I would maybe be as excited as info0 with every new release but no longer fussed by FM

vCash
    I regularly switch between playing CM and FM depending on how I feel.

You have to be prepared to put loads of hours in to playing FM before you start understanding and enjoying the game. Try doing an all nighter on it and you'll see what I mean

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cafcjgreen For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I think when I get the money, I'll buy FM15 and give it a go...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by edcrowley100 View Post
    I think when I get the money, I'll buy FM15 and give it a go...

Or you could just download the demo (save is compatible with full release) and test the game to see if its to your liking and save yourself 30+ if you then realise you dont like it.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Topofthekop For This Useful Post:

Mohsin is offline Hot Prospect for the Future

vCash
    why not try out the free demo?

Also, it has a Classic Mode - which streamlines it and makes it simpler to use. I don't play FM because my laptop sucks and it doesn't work.

vCash

To Patch or not to Patch??

First off a big thanks to all of you guys that are keeping the game alive, great work! I cannot wait for the new Data Update to become available.
    With this in mind I was wondering, as I have not used one before, whether a Patch in combination with the new update is the best way to go? I realise this comes down to personal preference but wondered if there is anyone that can help me out with some pros and cons and/or recommendations please??
    Thanks in advance for any insight provided

vCash
    To patch, or not to patch: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The random crashes in the first October,
    Or set your computer to Windows 98 compatibility mode,
    To use the Tapani patch?

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to faz44 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I don't understand why some people don't use any of the patches, but that's just me. JL's patches won't work on my computer for some reason, but Tapani's work like a charm. New screen resolution, faster gameplay, colored attributes, better idle control (great on laptops!), for me this is a no-brainer.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLa For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by edcrowley100 View Post
    Been playing CM since CM3, bought CM4 when it came out, utterly HATED the game, the Aesthetics, everything!! So have stuck with CM0102

Saw someone post the FM documentary in a thread

I watched it an hour ago, leaving me intruiged as to the capabilities the Football Manager games has to offer, and just as I suspected, A lot..

After watching this brilliant documentary, I decided to look at some FM gameplay Videos on YouTube..

I have to say, the sheer amount of options you have is utterly brilliant, wish I could have these in CM0102 but I still find myself having the same issue as I did with CM4, very unpleasant Aesthetics, feels FAR TOO sterile and cold, almost like its trying to be as FIFA as possible without being a FIFA game...

Although i do like the look and idea of the 3D match engine, but even if I did decide to buy the game and give it a go, I'd predict that I'd end up missing the warmth and simplicity of CM0102, so maybe I've answered my own question right there really...

Obviously, in an ideal world, I'd love the Vast Options and interactive capabilities added to the look and feel of CM0102. This will never happen, unless I win the lottery or something and could realistically make this happen.
    (BTW, I promise to make that happen if I do managed to get my hand on a few million and give it to you all for free of course because I'm a nice guy like that)

So before I make my mind up completely, for those who have some experience of FM series, for someone who hasn't played anything past CM0102, how difficult do you think I would find it to adapt to the FM series?

What things should I consider, is it worth it, what have your experiences been and how would you compare these two games?
    I've tried getting into FM so many times and just can't. CM 01/02 is my go to. I like the fact that it's relaxed. FM is incredibly intense and complex in comparison - if you like that sort of thing it's the superior game. I prefer my management sims to be fun.

vCash
    think i might try the demo then, sounds sensible

31. The Following User Says Thank You to eddieC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    So in your opinion a Tapani patch is the way to go?Can I ask which one would be best?Again apologies for my ignorance!!

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash
    2.19 is great

and this one has modern day finances

https://www.sendspace.com/file/5rkw9w

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast